Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 695637 times)

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Didn't know (or forgot) you were in this neck of the woods.  You should've seen them at the Phoenix last year... it was like show 3 of the LaTorre era, and fuckin unbelievable.

Yup! Unfortunately, I've been a bit out of touch with Ryche. Actually, I was never a hardcore fan, or anything, so I haven't been keeping a close eye on their touring and whatnot, and only kind of caught up with their whole situation at the latter half of last year. But I would love to go out and see one of their shows.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
This was just posted on YouTube a few days ago.  QR on MTV's "Headbanger's Ball" in 1994: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO6tg2_pbRo

EDIT: Geoff smoking on camera at the 13-minute mark!  :-\
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 08:54:40 AM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Cool video.........it cuts out before we find out how many R's Ricki gives Promised Land.  Geoff comes across as being too cool for the entire segment.

Offline T-ski

Riki Rachtman is worse than I remember.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Nobody in that entire segment, including Rachtman, really looks like they want to be there.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Nobody in that entire segment, including Rachtman, really looks like they want to be there.

Maybe Geoff spit on him right before filming.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Chris talking about the speakers  :lol

Its like "yeah, Geoff sucks", "I'll probably quit the band soon"

And its amazing that as disinterested as they all seem, the just got done making my favorite QR record.

And I don't know if anyone else saw it, but around 11 minutes there's a super quick clip of Lie.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 03:04:50 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
When Rachtman said that "Disconnected" would fit in well with Operation Mindcrime, you could tell Geoff wasn't impressed with that analogy.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
When Rachtman said that "Disconnected" would fit in well with Operation Mindcrime, you could tell Geoff wasn't impressed with that analogy.

Or he was just being an aloof jerk.  I would say that is just as likely.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Yeah, being Australian I've never really seen Headbangers Ball at all, but that guy is fucking terrible.  The whole video was really awkward though.  And the dude is making fun out of coffee and has no idea what the fuck a Americano or Macchiatto is lol.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
I just stumbled across the Unplugged in New York version of Silent Lucidity.

Holy mother of God  :omg:

Its been a while since I heard something so beautiful. I've always loved SL, but that version is incredible and I didn't even know they had done an Unplugged in New york.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I always hoped that unplugged show got an official release. Great show!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Yeah me too.

After seeing the video, I immediately went on Amazon to buy it, but sadly it just wasn't released.  :'(

But I did just watch the whole thing and it makes perfect sense why it wasn't released. They had to stop like for 10 minutes in between every song for dumb stuff, like makeup or messing with the instruments. They don't just play consistently through from beginning to end like some of the other unplugged shows, so I can understand why it wasn't released. The whole show is a mess.

But what a shame, because holy shit, this show is amazing. Despite the delays inbetween songs.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 05:34:32 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Yeah me too.

After seeing the video, I immediately went on Amazon to buy it, but sadly it just wasn't released.  :'(

But I did just watch the whole thing and it makes perfect sense why it wasn't released. They had to stop like for 10 minutes in between every song for dumb stuff, like makeup or messing with the instruments. They don't just play consistently through from beginning to end like some of the other unplugged shows, so I can understand why it wasn't released. The whole show is a mess.

But what a shame, because holy shit, this show is amazing. Despite the delays inbetween songs.

I'm sure they could have hired an editing crew.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Yeah me too.

I'm sure they could have hired an editing crew.

I thought the same thing, but watch it some time. It is one hot mess.

At some points they are even stopping mid song.  :-[

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni

He was a lot better than his predecessor, Adam Curry.

Offline slycordinator

Cool video.........it cuts out before we find out how many R's Ricki gives Promised Land.  Geoff comes across as being too cool for the entire segment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RQBxBwgG7c

He never gives it to them even when you see the whole thing...

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
F.U. Geoff ..............redefining the word "douche" seems to be his full time job these days.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Disgusting

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Tate's new merch for Whole History Of Rock Extravaganza - clever and classy, isn't it? ::)

https://tinmanmerchandising.com/product_info.php?cPath=402_403&products_id=2326#.U6bkdLHm7D8
https://tinmanmerchandising.com/product_info.php?cPath=402_437&products_id=2323#.U6bkdbHm7D8

BTW, Rage for Order is a great album :metal

Just when you think he couldn't get any more loopy, he tops himself.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

Tate's new merch for Whole History Of Rock Extravaganza - clever and classy, isn't it? ::)

https://tinmanmerchandising.com/product_info.php?cPath=402_403&products_id=2326#.U6bkdLHm7D8
https://tinmanmerchandising.com/product_info.php?cPath=402_437&products_id=2323#.U6bkdbHm7D8

BTW, Rage for Order is a great album :metal

Just when you think he couldn't get any more loopy, he tops himself.

At this point he probably should.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
That offends each and every one of my sensibilities.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
Honestly, I can't think of anyone in the rock/metal world who has been a greater disappointment to me than Geoff Tate. Not only as a performer/vocalist, but as a human being.

He was here back in January with his version of Queensryche, and for the first time since the "Rage For Order" tour, I refused to attend a show he was involved with. Many of my friends went to the show, and claimed he sounded better than ever, which I and anyone with fully functional ears knows is a crock of shit. The Geoff Tate from the Empire tour and the Geoff Tate today are two completely different singers in every aspect.

Offline jammindude

Let's just take a brief moment to remember what once was....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OH772pFl2s
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Its a shame...........what an amazing voice..........that's a great concert!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
I like the Tokyo performance better, if not only for the cheesy mic swinging.

Offline Cruithne

Basically any live performance you can find on YouTube of Queensryche between 1985 and 1992 brings a tear of lament to they eye. They were just immense in that period of their career.

They were still excellent on the Promised Land tour but no-one should ever be subjected to Geoff Tate clad in naught but hot pants and a head mic.

After that their live performances started going stale, in general, and the slow, interminable slide into mediocrity of Tate's voice became too readily apparent. He managed to just about hold it together through the 2000s but his voice has just gone to shit in the last two or three years.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Its a shame...........what an amazing voice..........that's a great concert!

They were so fuc#ing good.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
Let's stop lamenting over the past and look towards the future, with the next QR album coming out next year! I'm digging the comments the band have said about it so far!

You have already been demoing the new stuff for the next album and some vocals have already been done. So, at this stage would you describe to us the material compared to the previous one?

La Torre :  Obviously the material does change, sometimes quite significantly from the demo to what you hear on the album. So, it might be a little premature for us to tell you what it sounds like. I can tell you that a couple of the songs that we’ve worked have progressive elements, almost OPERATION MINDCRIME era or a little later. But they don’t sound dated and melody. The most important thing that we focus on first is melody. I mean for Michael too, but for all of us melody is the most important aspect, and there are a lot of bands that are great instrumentalists but not great songwriters. And to me personally, a great song has you singing that melody. No matter if it’s heavy or light, a good melody always wins. So, that’s our main focus especially when Michael writes something, “Hey, this is great.” It can have a heaviness to it, by the time I get it I’ll say, “Hey! Check this melody out.” It might soften it up a bit. So, how can I make it a little more aggressive? How do I sing it? How do I phrase it? What are the lyrics that are being told? So, it’s a marriage between the two.

Wilton :  But I think there is a balance, true we write for the song but it’s also bringing back the element of musicianship. Making the songs interesting to listen to, for people, for musicians as well. Not in the sense like Dream Theater I think, but it’s more… The old albums that we used to do, Chris and I used to intertwine guitar parts that almost were songs in themselves. And trying to bring that back, make the parts, everything interesting. That when you go back and you listen to it, you hear something different every time you hear it. I think that’s kind of where a lot of the fans want us to go on a lot… It’s like we always strive for that. It’s like, you don’t want to write something and listen to it once and then put it aside, just work on the next one. Hopefully you want to listen to it a few times and pick out everything in it.
https://www.metal-rules.com/metalnews/2014/06/20/queensryche-todd-la-torre-michael-wilton/

There's other stuff in there that I'm digging too; the band seems to be planning to have a much bigger tour next year with their next album. I'm hoping that this will also mean that they'll mix it up a bit more with their setlist next year too and incorporate more songs from the s/t album and the new one! :metal

While Mindcrime isn't my favorite QR album as a whole, I do think it's the best 'sound' that the band ever had. Hopefully Todd will put more of his own stamp vocally on the material with the new stuff! :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Their intentions sound absolutely spot on for my taste - just a matter of execution now.  fingers crossed.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
Their intentions sound absolutely spot on for my taste - just a matter of execution now.  fingers crossed.

I also hear that they're considering other producers besides Jimbo this time around. They might still work with him, but who knows? I'd kill to hear a QR album with production done by Jens Bogren, Fredrik Nordstrom or David Bottrill. :hefdaddy
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

absolutely!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
The next album and tour will show us if the band has anything left in the tank, or if they are just content to be another Styx, playing mostly really old songs with a singer who sounds just like the one from their heyday.  The next album needs to be good and it needs to be good enough to have much of it played live on the tour, not just throwing a token song or two from it into the set list. I am pessimistic, yet hopeful.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
The next album and tour will show us if the band has anything left in the tank, or if they are just content to be another Styx, playing mostly really old songs with a singer who sounds just like the one from their heyday.  The next album needs to be good and it needs to be good enough to have much of it played live on the tour, not just throwing a token song or two from it into the set list. I am pessimistic, yet hopeful.

My problem with the band lately is that the s/t album is actually very good and I wish they'd play more of it live (Don't Look Back, Open Road). But apparently they're still doing that "Return to History" Tour they started two years ago.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea