Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 695256 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I think we all did but his action are what is driving us all away.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Yup. To think that When I thought of Geoff Tate, I would conjure up words like awesome, unbelievable, incredible and supremely talented.

I think that's what is most frustrating. I know I was very invested in Queensryche and it meant a lot to me. I feel like Tate has made it all seem like such a farce.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Dead on Tim.  That's why I'm so glad they moved on.  I felt the same about Steve Perry and Dennis DeYoung.  you can hijack a band only so long.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
That was terrible

Offline abydos

• DT.net
 There was a period where I couldn't believe how each album I listen to is better than the previous one which I thought was impossible. I didn't listen to anything else for months, especially Mindcrime-Empire-Promised Land. I was determined to get a tattoo of the band's logo. In a rare moment of responsible thinking back then I said to myself that I shouldwait 5 years and if I still want it - i'll do it. I've never had the desire to get a tat of any sort since.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That video was simply unbelievable, in a very bad way.  Man, his voice is shot.

7:33 ROFLMFAO!!!!!!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
Link: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former-queensryche-singer-geoff-tate-metal-as-a-genre-is-incredibly-limiting/

Former QUEENSRŸCHE Singer GEOFF TATE: 'Metal, As A Genre, Is Incredibly Limiting'

In a brand new interview with The Rock River Times, former QUEENSRŸCHE singer Geoff Tate spoke about the songwriting process during the band's earlier years while original guitarist Chris DeGarmo was still a member of the group.

"When you have a band, that group of people comes together for a number of different reasons," Geoff said. "In our case, it was musically. Chris and I had a very strong, clear vision of what we wanted to do musically, and that vision was really about not having boundaries as to what we created. We wanted to write and present music that we imagined, rather than what other people expected or thought we should do. That gave us a real positive jumping-off point for the band and everything we did that followed.

"We never really wrote records to conform to what other people or other bands did; we wrote records that we loved and felt strongly about. That was always Chris' and my vision, and being the kind of personalities that we are, Chris and I, we just did that, and the other guys in the band fell in line with that. They were comfortable with that setup, and that's how we operated for many, many years. It wasn't like we were dictators or land barons keeping the serfs out of the fields or anything like that. [laughs] It was not like that. It was more that it worked well, we enjoyed what we did, I'm speaking of Chris and I, and it worked, so the other guys in the band were fine with that for a long, long period of time."

He continued: "It was never a democracy on the creative end of things… It was always a matter of, 'OK, who has the idea that everybody thinks is the strongest?' If you didn't have an opinion on it, well, then, you didn't have an opinion on it. And most of the time, that was the case. There just wasn't a strong opposition to anything, and, to be honest, that's still the way it was all the way up to, oh, 2012 with the split. It was always, 'Oh, OK, great idea. Let's run with that. Do you have anything to add? No? OK, well, let's go with that, then. [laughs]"

Asked if he thinks some of the fans misinterpreted his comments about not being a "metal guy," Tate replied: "Oh, yeah, I'm sure. People read whatever meaning they wanna read into whatever statements are made.

"The way I feel about 'metal' is I just don't like genres in the first place. I think genres are limiting and are kind of like wearing handcuffs for a person who's a writer or who is creative, because that means there is this box that you have to conform to.

"Like I said earlier, Chris and I were never interested in being confined by other people's vision. Our vision was the one we wanted to explore in, and I think that's a very healthy place to be.

"Metal, as a genre, is incredibly limiting — it explores a very few emotions, angst and violence being predominant. Once you've written from that point of view, there's only so many other ways that you can fashion and write music in order to express yourself. That's what I've always been interested in, is exploring all those different facets and all those different emotions of humanity through music. We just didn't feel it was necessary to only spend time creatively exploring anger and violence. [laughs]"
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
He clearly has no idea what he's talking about.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
Danny, only angst and violence. I've been listening to metal all wrong for the last 15 year.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
As much as I think he is a douche. I think it would be awesome if he disappeared for like 2-3 years, quit smoking and just started hammering the vocal exercises. Then came back and just blow everyone's minds; that won't happen though. If anything he'll come back worse.

There are a few people I would suggest do the same thing. *cough**cough*Dokken*cough**cough*

I don't think the two situations are comparable, actually.  I could be wrong, but I think Tate could sing well again if he got some coaching and changed a lot of bad habits.  Don, on the other hand, is a different story.  I think he has probably permanently damaged his voice beyond repair.  And with the type of singing he does, I don't think he could fake it to even remotely turn in a passable performance.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
We just didn't feel it was necessary to only spend time creatively exploring anger and violence

lol, says the guy that spits and pulls weapons on people.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Can't you see, he was trying to protect the other guys from himself!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland

Yup. To think that When I thought of Geoff Tate, I would conjure up words like awesome, unbelievable, incredible and supremely talented.

I think that's what is most frustrating. I know I was very invested in Queensryche and it meant a lot to me. I feel like Tate has made it all seem like such a farce.
well GT seems to be inVESTed in whatever the fuck he's doing, so

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
As much as I think he is a douche. I think it would be awesome if he disappeared for like 2-3 years, quit smoking and just started hammering the vocal exercises. Then came back and just blow everyone's minds; that won't happen though. If anything he'll come back worse.

There are a few people I would suggest do the same thing. *cough**cough*Dokken*cough**cough*

I don't think the two situations are comparable, actually.  I could be wrong, but I think Tate could sing well again if he got some coaching and changed a lot of bad habits.  Don, on the other hand, is a different story.  I think he has probably permanently damaged his voice beyond repair.  And with the type of singing he does, I don't think he could fake it to even remotely turn in a passable performance.

Am I missing something? I've never listened to them before but I just listened to Lightnin' Strikes Again and Broken Bones, and he sounded great. Broken Bones wasn't sung as high but didn't sound bad. Is he just not singing high anymore? And what is wrong with his singing that would damage his voice?

Again only basing these questions off of two songs.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
lol Geoff Tate
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Cruithne

"Chris and I... Chris and I... Chris and I..."

Does Tate sing Empire thinking "this is a great song Chris and I wrote"? Douche.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Am I missing something? I've never listened to them before but I just listened to Lightnin' Strikes Again and Broken Bones, and he sounded great. Broken Bones wasn't sung as high but didn't sound bad. Is he just not singing high anymore? And what is wrong with his singing that would damage his voice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDveKxl7Ohs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFDDjXfAD5Q

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Contrast that first link with this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2inY0zT33Q

I haven't followed closely, so I don't know specifics, but I remember seeing Don about 5 years or so ago doing an accoustic slot opening for another band, and his voice sounded shot.  Don even commented on stage during some in-between-song banter that the years of drinking, smoking, and partying had caught up with him.  Maybe he was overstating it as part of his onstage schtick, but I took it at face value.  If that is all true, it just seems like even with some rehab and coaching, while he could get some of it back, he has lost quite a bit that is gone for good.  I am sure that with multiple takes, punching in, and other studio magic, he can sound a lot better in studio.  But I think he has lost much of his gift.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lowdz

He's not singing with any power or passion now. There's no range. A bit like Rob Halford on those new tracks.

Offline abydos

• DT.net

I think Tate is in a similar position. As far as I know he's been smoking and drinking since the early 90s, if not before that. And you can hear it in the live performances but he still put on a good show because he was still young. Now? I'm not so sure, he should just stick to singing things like his solo album, at least his lows are still OK. But I'm not a voice expert, just my two cents.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The pathetic thing with Don, is that one the last album, the backup harmonies were too high so he got Mark Boals to do all of them.  So, the album is almost feels like a Allen/Lande thing.

Contrast that first link with this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2inY0zT33Q

Wow, just wow.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Former QUEENSRŸCHE Singer GEOFF TATE: 'Metal, As A Genre, Is Incredibly Limiting'
...says the man who limits himself to wearing the same vest all the time :P

BTW, after 2 years of following the media circus I'm finally becoming a QR fan :D I'm about to buy some of their stuff soon.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
Make sure you buy merchandise from the right one. ;)

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
I hope someone writes a book about the Queensryche lawsuit.  One of the most fascinating things ever.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
They could call it Queens and Thieves:yarr
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Lowdz

...says the man who limits himself to wearing the same vest all the time :P

BTW, after 2 years of following the media circus I'm finally becoming a QR fan :D I'm about to buy some of their stuff soon.

Well Geof, I was told "only boring people get bored". The criticism hasn't been about the lyrical content (though there have been some horrors), its the crap songs and the lack of a QR vibe.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Both he and the other guys disappeared for me a long time ago.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
So, I just got told by Todd LaTorre, haha: https://www.facebook.com/QueensrycheOfficial/posts/475705112562646?comment_id=475708699228954&offset=0&total_comments=11

Serves me right for misreading the headline. But man, what a cool dude to just reply to fans like that. I never had anything against him, but he just earned major bonus points in my book!  :tup
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH I scrolled past that and thought MAN CAN THAT GUY EVEN READ, I didn't know it was you :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
I must have been deleted,  I don't see it.

Offline PowerSlave

I think it's pretty cool that he wants to do the songs in their original tuning, but I wouldn't be bothered if they did decide to down tune in the future. The most important thing to me as a fan is that the melody lines are maintained and that the songs are performed well. I've always thought that it's natural for singers to lose some of their range with age. Even though Todd is relatively new to the scene he's not a kid in his early/mid 20's.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Agreed.  But at the same time, I think it is important for them to make a statement in every way possible that they are just fine without Tate, and this is a very strong way of doing so.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
I just hope Todd doesn't fuck up his voice from straining too much, he hasn't sung in such amounts and suddenly since QR he's touring and screaming his ass off. Wouldn't mind toning it down just a bit, but I guess he knows what he's doing.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH I scrolled past that and thought MAN CAN THAT GUY EVEN READ, I didn't know it was you :lol

Shut up!  :'(

I was sleep deprived! I don't finish reading sentences when I'm in such a state!
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

Shut up!  :'(

I was sleep deprived! I don't finish reading sentences when I'm in such a state!

Didn't know (or forgot) you were in this neck of the woods.  You should've seen them at the Phoenix last year... it was like show 3 of the LaTorre era, and fuckin unbelievable.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion