Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 695218 times)

Offline goo-goo

Way to go QR! Would love to hear OM I with LaTorre on vox....Anyways, this is a great day for QR fans. The S/T release was one of my favorites last year and I keep coming back to it every month or so. Has aged very well for me.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
To be frank, my biggest problem with the real Queensryche going forward is to see if they can now finally produce on promises.

The last album was good, but it was short, sounded like shit, and certainly not up to par with the classic albums. They've all been talking about how excited they are about NEW material and moving FORWARD. If that's the case I want to see more new material in the live sets and a better next album. Otherwise they are, frankly, a band that has battled hard to become a nostalgia act. A very very good one, but one nonetheless.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Very true, Nick.  They talked about having all of this pent-up creativity that was stifled for years, so let's hear it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I agree Nick, and I've been saying that for a while now. Tate or not, THEY have made some shitty albums in the last 10-15 years, and really, the last one with LaTorre is just OK. Yeah, it's better than what they've done in a long time (though I thought American Soldier was ok), but I find most QR fans waaaayyy overrating the thing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
The last album was good, but it was short, sounded like shit, and certainly not up to par with the classic albums

Totally agree.  I consider myself a pretty big QR fan, and I listened to the album twice and put it on the shelf.  The mastering ruined any enjoyment for me.  They need to get everything right this time and give some length to their songs. 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
"[Tate] can only refer to himself as the “Original Lead Singer of Queensr˙che or “Formerly of Queensr˙che" for a period of two years and that text must be at least 50% smaller than his name in all materials."

Well.
That's from 1st September.

"Geoff Tate will be able to finish any confirmed dates billed for his Queensr˙che lineup scheduled to terminate on August 31st, 2014. As of September 1st, there will be only one Queensr˙che entity and that will consist of Eddie Jackson, Todd LaTorre, Parker Lundgren, Scott Rockenfield and Michael Wilton. "

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Great results from the court case! Looking forward to what the band does from this point on

Offline Anguyen92

"[Tate] can only refer to himself as the “Original Lead Singer of Queensr˙che or “Formerly of Queensr˙che" for a period of two years and that text must be at least 50% smaller than his name in all materials."

Well.
That's from 1st September.

"Geoff Tate will be able to finish any confirmed dates billed for his Queensr˙che lineup scheduled to terminate on August 31st, 2014. As of September 1st, there will be only one Queensr˙che entity and that will consist of Eddie Jackson, Todd LaTorre, Parker Lundgren, Scott Rockenfield and Michael Wilton. "

That's a nice loophole right there from Mr. Tate to expose.  One big last "score", it seems, obviously.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I'm really surprised at the 'nostalgia act' sentiment.  Maybe I'm wrong, but my opinion was that they took it on the chin when DeGarmo left, and then got dragged to the mat during the '00s by the Tates' (Geoffy and Susie) antics.  I account their horrible output to that - not the fact that they were 'done', or their best days were behind them (ala true nostalgia acts the likes Motley Crue, Van Halen, or Kiss).  Sure, DeGarmo is still out of the picture, but I think they've got something to prove, and all the capabilities to do it now.

I don't fault them at all for touring from this album just on the first four albums.  I felt it more of a case for them to play their best material, reconnect with and reinvigorate the fan base - not so much a matter of them relying on that material.  I don't recall people accusing Maiden of being a Nostalgia act for the Somewhere Back in Time tour? 

Sure, I'll reserve my final judgment until the next album is out, but I've got every reason to be optimistic about the future of the band ... something I haven't felt since Promised Land - cuz I still think HITNF is a stinker.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I'm with Chad on this one.  Listen to Tribe when Chris recorded with them.  That's a good album.  It was the BS from Tate that changed their career path.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
I'm really surprised at the 'nostalgia act' sentiment.  Maybe I'm wrong, but my opinion was that they took it on the chin when DeGarmo left, and then got dragged to the mat during the '00s by the Tates' (Geoffy and Susie) antics.  I account their horrible output to that - not the fact that they were 'done', or their best days were behind them (ala true nostalgia acts the likes Motley Crue, Van Halen, or Kiss).  Sure, DeGarmo is still out of the picture, but I think they've got something to prove, and all the capabilities to do it now.

I don't fault them at all for touring from this album just on the first four albums.  I felt it more of a case for them to play their best material, reconnect with and reinvigorate the fan base - not so much a matter of them relying on that material.  I don't recall people accusing Maiden of being a Nostalgia act for the Somewhere Back in Time tour? 

Sure, I'll reserve my final judgment until the next album is out, but I've got every reason to be optimistic about the future of the band ... something I haven't felt since Promised Land - cuz I still think HITNF is a stinker.

I understand your point, and there is a reason I said they need to start playing more new music and the next album better impress. It's all them now, time to show they deserve what they've won.

As for Maiden, I'm surprised you would even go there. Sure, that one tour was a nostalgia tour, but they have a recent history of consistent, good, fresh sounding new albums that they go out and play the hell out of, especially in the case of A Matter of Life and Death.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
As for Maiden, I'm surprised you would even go there. Sure, that one tour was a nostalgia tour, but they have a recent history of consistent, good, fresh sounding new albums that they go out and play the hell out of, especially in the case of A Matter of Life and Death.

Fair enough... perhaps 'twas not the best of comparisons.

If they do put out a stinker this next album, then I will concede that they'll likely be relegated to nostalgia act.  I just ain't putting them there yet.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator

Fair enough... perhaps 'twas not the best of comparisons.

If they do put out a stinker this next album, then I will concede that they'll likely be relegated to nostalgia act.  I just ain't putting them there yet.

And neither am I, with the court case looming over their head I've said previously that they almost have to play things conservative and safe. Now though they have free reign, they gotta come out swinging and show that Queensryche is truly alive again, and not just a corpse that's wiggling after the paddles have hit them.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
If they let Todd write fully as a member I think they will have something worthy of the legacy of the good Ryche albums. The song he wrote for Crimson Glory sounded awesome and that was in demo version too, sadly it was never polished.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
He did on the last album.  I see no reason to believe that will not continue.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Did Tate copyright his Mindcrime story? If not, wouldn't it be property of the label like the songs?

Offline Anguyen92

Did Tate copyright his Mindcrime story? If not, wouldn't it be property of the label like the songs?

Huh.  That's a very interesting question that deserves an answer.  What did the record labels think about all of this "drama" and lawsuit anyway and which side did they favor?

Offline slycordinator

The label owns the recording only. Songwriters sign contracts with publishers for the rights to the written form of the music (lyrics, sheet music, tabs, etc).

Offline ozzy554

I remember Todd saying he wants to do a epic roads to madness type of song. Hopefully that idea (along with better production) makes it over to their next album.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
As much as I think he is a douche. I think it would be awesome if he disappeared for like 2-3 years, quit smoking and just started hammering the vocal exercises. Then came back and just blow everyone's minds; that won't happen though. If anything he'll come back worse.

Offline ozzy554

As much as I think he is a douche. I think it would be awesome if he disappeared for like 2-3 years, quit smoking and just started hammering the vocal exercises. Then came back and just blow everyone's minds; that won't happen though. If anything he'll come back worse.

There are a few people I would suggest do the same thing. *cough**cough*Dokken*cough**cough*
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Despite his public posturing about playing to sold out arenas, which we all know is a lie, it's likely that Tate knows he is not much of a draw without the Queensryche name, and him taking a few years off is basically him not wanting to tour when he knows he will lose money.

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
Best news I've read in a while

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/geoff-tate-plans-to-disappear-for-awhile-after-his-version-of-queensryche-completes-farewell-tour/

I have my doubts about how long he will be out of sight.  Remember, he can only use the "formerly of Queensryche" subtitle for 2 years.  After that, it's gone and out of his reach forever, so if anything, I would expect him to try to milk his version of "Queensryche" as much as he can before his 2 years are up.

Also, I was browsing the comments on that Blabbermouth article and this one legitimately made me laugh out loud  :rollin  :
Postpartum depression. Good luck sweet bald comedic prince. We'll miss your pedantic rants about how you created music and stuff.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Wow..just Wow!
An eye patch? Really?  I needed two!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
A video of Geoff Tate's vaudeville show.

Link: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former-queensryche-singer-geoff-tates-rock-and-vaudeville-performance-captured-on-video/

What the actual fuck?

God, what the fuck...

I think I now have cancer, from watching that video. Dude just does not have a clue.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 02:56:36 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
You know, when the EP came out, I thought it was the freshest metal going. When Warning came out, I thought it was one of the  the greatest fuc#ing metal album I've heard. I cannot believe that is the same guy that sang on those albums. That is a classic voice from my youth. I mean what a fucking joke.

Offline Lowdz

Wow..just Wow!
An eye patch? Really?  I needed two!

I needed 2 ear patches too...

That was fucking awful.

I used to love this guy. Admittedly that was a long time ago before he destroyed my favourite band. Now he's just a tool.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
The eye patch didn't bother me but the doo rag under the fedora makes me want to call Milan Lucic and ask him to nut shot Geoff.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
What's even sader and probably the ultimate disgrace, is that at one point in my life I actually considered him one of my favorite singers.

I'm so ashamed...