Author Topic: 2011-10-19 - The Tabernacle - Atlanta, GA  (Read 15491 times)

Offline As I Am

• Banned
2011-10-19 - The Tabernacle - Atlanta, GA
« on: August 09, 2011, 11:17:40 AM »
Atlanta at the Tabernacle.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 09:10:32 AM by cyberdrummer »

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Re: FYI - New date added - Oct 19th in..............
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 01:50:03 PM »
Where does it say that?

Offline Saiko

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 07:55:55 AM »
https://www.livenation.com/event/0E00470298844FA0?crosssite=TM_US:744581:115031

I'l be there! Tickets go on sale this friday at 10:00am eastern. My first post btw.  :biggrin:

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 02:37:49 PM »
Yes! Can't wait!

Offline jmbeat

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 04:48:17 PM »
This means two shows in 3 days for me  :metal
"So just shut your face and take a seat because after all you're just talking meat.....and music?  Well that's just entertainment folks.---Devin Townsend

"I'm not drinking until Saturday"---My Wife;)

Offline Cookstar

Re: 2011-10-19 - The Tabernacle - Atlanta, GA
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 04:55:51 AM »
I bought my ticket yesterday for this show.  I'll be coming from NC since it looks like we aren't going to get a date as usual.  DT is the only band I'll travel that far to see.  I'm coming alone since I can't recruit anyone to go in the middle of the week.  I'm crazy...

Offline Saiko

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 01:09:59 PM »
I bought my ticket yesterday for this show.  I'll be coming from NC since it looks like we aren't going to get a date as usual.  DT is the only band I'll travel that far to see.  I'm coming alone since I can't recruit anyone to go in the middle of the week.  I'm crazy...

Yeah, I'm going solo also. Wifey hates prog and won't come. None of my friends even know who Dream Theater are, so I'm just gonna enjoy it myself. If you've never been to the Tabernacle, it's a cool venue. I believe it used to be a large church, so there isn't a bad seat in the house. The lower balconey seats are pretty close to the stage.

Offline MasterLomaxus

• Onion Flakes
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 03:45:34 PM »
I may end up going to this show.  It's either here or Chicago for me, as they are the closest two venues.

Offline Cookstar

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 01:56:31 PM »

Yeah, I'm going solo also. Wifey hates prog and won't come. None of my friends even know who Dream Theater are, so I'm just gonna enjoy it myself. If you've never been to the Tabernacle, it's a cool venue. I believe it used to be a large church, so there isn't a bad seat in the house. The lower balconey seats are pretty close to the stage.
I saw them there in 2003 with Queensryche and Fates Warning.  It's definitely the coolest concert venue I've ever been too.  Last time I had general admission tickets on the floor but this time I'll be in the lower balcony near the middle.

Offline CrimsonE

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 06:50:43 PM »
I've got lower balcony as well, and I believe it's in the middle, about four rows back.

I'm really looking forward to this, as this will be my first chance of really seeing a DT headline set.  I caught them in Chciago in 2005 as co-headliners on the Giagantour (with Megadeth).  I saw them on the 2008 Prog Nation tour in Columbus with Opeth and again, it was a co-headlining gig with DT as the closer.  Finally, I saw them open for Maiden in Cleveland in 2010.  So, it will be great to see a full on headlining gig.  My only regret is that it's not "An Evening With" and who knows if DT will ever do those again?
In the heart of your most solemn barren night
When your souls turn inside out
Have you questioned all the madness you invite?
What your life is all about

Offline SomeFriedOkra

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 11:29:49 PM »
I bought the VIP package! Im pumped bc it will be my first DT show

Offline Irock

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 09:53:38 AM »
This is gonna be my first Dream Theater concert ever. I would have gone to see them sooner, but they never come to Nashville!

I'll be sitting in the front row of the lower balcony to the left of the stage, which should be pretty interesting.

I can't wait!

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 11:19:10 PM »
Probably one of the best venues in Atlanta. It is a renovated old church and has 3 balconies, but every seat has a great view unless you end up on one of the sides up near the stage. Sound is usually awesome. Reserved seats in the balconies, floor is general admission and past shows have been kind of a laid back crowd, so it is not too hard to wiggle your way right up in front of your favorite.

I'm in first balcony, center right, directly in front of JP.

Oh yeah, the bars are in the auditorium, so if you need a drink, you can still watch the show while standing in line.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Irock

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 01:19:19 PM »
but every seat has a great view unless you end up on one of the sides up near the stage.
Son of a..

Offline lyfeternl

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 09:30:01 AM »
This is gonna be my first Dream Theater concert ever. I would have gone to see them sooner, but they never come to Nashville!

I'll be sitting in the front row of the lower balcony to the left of the stage, which should be pretty interesting.

I can't wait!

This'll be my first DT concert as well! So stoked! :metal I am in the exact opposite section you are in. However, if you select "Reserved Balcony & Gen. Admission" on livenation, the stage position changes and is back more. So, we both may not be totally screwed...

Did anyone purchase the M&G for this show? I have, and like I said already, this is my first DT concert and M&G so...any advice on composure would be nice haha. I can imagine myself acting like a giddy, little schoolgirl... must...remain...calm...
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2011, 12:54:38 PM »
Everyone repeat after me.....

Setlist C..
Setlist C..
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline poultond

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2011, 05:03:00 PM »
Wish I was going but the 4 hour drive back to Charlotte NC would be tough.

:'(

Offline lyfeternl

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2011, 09:02:42 AM »
Wish I was going but the 4 hour drive back to Charlotte NC would be tough.

:'(

This is nothing that shots of expresso and/or energy drinks couldn't fix ;)
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline botsmack

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2011, 03:00:50 PM »
Probably one of the best venues in Atlanta. It is a renovated old church and has 3 balconies, but every seat has a great view unless you end up on one of the sides up near the stage.

This will be my first Dream Theater concert and my first visit to the Tabernacle. It makes me worried to read this. Our seats are in Section 208 Row A (seats are closer to Section 206). Are you saying that we're not going to have a good view then?

Offline Saiko

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2011, 06:37:11 PM »
Probably one of the best venues in Atlanta. It is a renovated old church and has 3 balconies, but every seat has a great view unless you end up on one of the sides up near the stage.

This will be my first Dream Theater concert and my first visit to the Tabernacle. It makes me worried to read this. Our seats are in Section 208 Row A (seats are closer to Section 206). Are you saying that we're not going to have a good view then?

You are obviously going to be looking at the stage from the side, but the lower balcony seats are so close to the stage that you'll be fine. The only downside is you'll be looking at the back of JR's about half the time.  :laugh:

Offline lyfeternl

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2011, 01:25:09 PM »
Alright, so I purchased the M&G for this venue. Did anyone else?

I wanted to know who else would be acting like a giddy little schoolgirl. ;)

Offline Irock

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2011, 08:26:58 PM »
Alright, so I purchased the M&G for this venue. Did anyone else?

I wanted to know who else would be acting like a giddy little schoolgirl. ;)
I would have gotten the M&G if I had the money to spend!

Hey, that's about where I am. Section 208, Row A, seats 5 and 6! (Is there some sort of sacred concert code against giving out your seat numbers? I never see people do it. Please don't poop in our seats.)

Offline Wolfpacker96

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2011, 09:36:43 AM »

I'm there with you dude, but luckily I have some friends in Hotlanta that are fans enough to be talked into going.  My seats are section 302, row E seats 5,6,7.  Right in the center I think.  Should be excellent seats.  Where are you driving from?  I'm in Charlotte.  I suppose we could car pool, but I don't know when you're coming back.  Plus we don't know each other at all of course!  But if you love DT, you can't be all that bad!  I'm going to be staying in Atlanta a couple of days anyway, so probably wouldn't work out.  But if you'd like someone to hang with before the show, send me a private message.   :metal

Offline Wolfpacker96

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2011, 09:39:33 AM »

Same invite to too dude, if you'd like to hang before the show, we'll be drinking a few at a friend of mine's house in Smyrna before the show.  At the least, we can meet somewhere and eat some dinner.  Send me a message!

Offline lyfeternl

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2011, 07:47:09 AM »
Alright folks! 36 hours until our faces begin to melt from sheer greatness of musicianship (yes, I skipped Trivium...no offense...they can't help that they're not DT).

For those not attending the M&G, I am having a tough time thinking of what to say/ask the guys when I get my 15 seconds with them each so, does anyone have anything they're dying to know? I'll be sure to post any nuggets of trivia here after the concert. Also, any thoughts and suggestions on something to get signed would be helpful as well.

With that being said, I have never been more excited for an event in my life, especially a dramatic tour of one......   :neverusethis:

Offline botsmack

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2011, 11:21:50 AM »
Yeah, I can't wait! My wife and I are driving over tomorrow morning and making a mini-vacation out of it. She likes most of the Dream Theater music I've ever played for her, but I'm not sure how she's going to fair with Trivium. I like their music, but their "scream metal" can even get to me sometimes.

Offline Saiko

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2011, 01:11:42 PM »
I had honestly thought of doing this before hearing about somebody else doing the same thing. Here is my "slightly altered" SFAM shirt I'll be wearing at the Atlanta show tonight. I'll be old grey haired dude if you see me.

Offline Irock

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2011, 09:39:05 PM »
That was the best freaking concert I've ever been to. Dream Theater was incredible. The sound quality on the side of stage balcony sucked, but I was still 700% into it because Dream Theater was so awesome. Most of the people in the front row of the balconies weren't very animated, but I couldn't stop myself from acting like a total outcast.

RAAAAAWWWWWWK :metal

Offline Cookstar

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2011, 10:25:31 PM »
I'm back in my hotel room now.  Definitely worth the trip from NC.  This is the third time I've seen DT and I really feel like this was the best one yet.  They seem so energized with Mangini there.  It's amazing how they just as precise live as they are on their studio albums.  I will go see them again if they do a second North American leg.

Offline CrimsonE

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2011, 10:32:24 PM »
I just got back from the show myself, and while it was a very good show, it wasn't as transcendent as other DT shows I attended live or heard via bootleg.  I think it was largely the setlist, which had some good material, but nothing that I would have had on my top 10 list.  I was especially frustrated that they had dropped Great Debate after a few days into the American leg of the tour or that UAGM closed the show instead of L2L.

But still there were some very good to classic moments.  Yse Tse Jam was a fun instrumental, and my first live rendition of Endless Sacrifice was amazing.  Plus, OTBOA was as awesome as the album version, as was Beneath the Surface.  Finally, the guitar solo in Breaking all Illusions was twice as amazing live as it was on the album.  Also, it was fun to watch Jordan and Mike all evening because the two were clearly having fun at the show. 

Like I said, a very solid concert.  I just wish there would have been a better selection of older material. 

Follow up:  One thing I will say that I was pleased with is the relative lack of songs I had seen before.  From the setlist, only FT and Foresaken were repeats from either of the three times I had seen them.  Let's hope that as Mike Mangini gets even more comfortable with the band and vice versa that they'll branch out and do more of the type of varied setlists that DT fans had become used to.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 08:54:51 AM by CrimsonE »

Offline Saiko

« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2011, 07:28:41 AM »
Don't have much to add that hasn't already been stated by others on this tour. Acoustics from the lower balcony middle section were great, I didn't think that JLB was too low in the mix. I also thought the volume was perfect, my ears weren't even ringing after the show.
Pretty much the same set as recent shows except they ended with UAGM instead of Pull Me Under.
Crowd was into it, although I was as surprised at the lack of enthusiasm for BAI. That has become one of my favorites! The same thing has been mentioned at other shows, and I have no answer for it.
Overall a great farken show!

Offline Jamariquay

• When in Rome...
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2011, 08:46:55 AM »
It might be because the audience didn't want their thrashing around to interfere with the first time they hear a pretty complicated song played live. That's always been my experience.

Offline CrimsonE

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2011, 08:55:52 AM »
A question for other Atlanta fans who were at the show.  Is it me or did Jordan seem to be having a lot more fun this evening than he has in the past?   

Offline Saiko

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2011, 09:10:38 AM »
It might be because the audience didn't want their thrashing around to interfere with the first time they hear a pretty complicated song played live. That's always been my experience.

Yeah, but even at the beginning of the song, there wasn't quite the roar that I was hearing for other songs. Maybe BAI hasn't quite caught on yet, and time will tell?

A question for other Atlanta fans who were at the show.  Is it me or did Jordan seem to be having a lot more fun this evening than he has in the past?

I was thinking the same thing. A lot of interaction between JR and MM. I LOVE when he would tilt one end of the keyboard down towards the floor and go nuts!

Offline lyfeternl

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2011, 09:45:06 AM »
All I can really is just say is...wow. I was absolutely blown away by how awesome that show was. I was lucky enough to be in the very front against the divider between JM and JLB. Everything about that set was breathtaking...literally... I have no voice from the constant screaming and singing. With this being my first DT experience live, I must say that it will be tough to beat.

In regards to people not seeming as excited about BAI, I know that, for me, I was worn out haha. BAI was crazy live, especially the solo.

The "Player of the Show" was Mike Mangini hands-down. The sheer amount of love, joy, humility and compassion he poured out to his instrument, his band mates, and the fans was contagious and unbelievable. He teared up during the bow after the encore. I'm glad we have him in DT.

Overall, this night will go down as one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had in my life! :biggrin: