Author Topic: Interview with JP (Rock Hard GR) UPDATED WITH TRANSLATION  (Read 18559 times)

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Interview with JP (Rock Hard GR) UPDATED WITH TRANSLATION
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2011, 08:38:42 PM »
Great interview.  The only part I take exception to is the comment about Circus Maxiums.  I mean, come on, their last album didn't have a bad song on it, while the last 4 DT albums, IMO, were just awful.  Circus Maximus is already putting out stuff that's better than that.  Whether or not the latest DT will break that spell remains to be seen.

What I took from that comment was that  the imagery was stock.  Yeah... maybe a lil more research should have been done (regarding past usage/similarities)

Offline dongringo

« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2011, 08:45:28 PM »
Great interview.  The only part I take exception to is the comment about Circus Maxiums.  I mean, come on, their last album didn't have a bad song on it, while the last 4 DT albums, IMO, were just awful.  Circus Maximus is already putting out stuff that's better than that.  Whether or not the latest DT will break that spell remains to be seen.

Awful? That's harsh.

IMO:

1. Octavarium
2. Isolate
3. BC&SL

4 SC

5. TOT

But none of them are AWFUL.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2011, 08:56:18 PM »
Isolate? What's Isolate? :lol

Offline dongringo

« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2011, 09:01:02 PM »
Isolate? What's Isolate? :lol

The last album from Circus Maximus. Read the quoted post in my post.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Slain

« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2011, 09:46:26 PM »
while the last 4 DT albums, IMO, were just awful. 

You and I have a drastically different definition of the word awful.  :sadpanda:
Quote from: MarlaHooch
Just amazing.  DT should count their lucky stars that some of their fans are at this level of unconditional cult worship.

Offline i am fabio

« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2011, 11:44:28 PM »
Love love love Isolate and it is better than the last 4 DT albums. But still love DT guys.

Great interview it was a fun read.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #76 on: August 10, 2011, 02:58:28 AM »
Even accounting for translation, some of those questions are a little bit rude. But still a good interview despite that.

It indeed sometimes seems that the questions are rude, but i think JP knows the interviewer well, and it was more of a friendly interview than it seems.

Well either way, JP clearly takes it well and gives good answers. I do like that the issue of rotating setlists is cleared up.

Hmmm.. I get that he explained why they did it on this leg, but I didn't hear anything about future legs and possibly rotating them...or did I miss something?  I know when I do the meet and greet next month I'll be asking him about future "Evening with" legs  ;D

"O Mike would be able to learn all the songs and rehearsing for about forty to go touring, but we did not want him to load too many responsibilities on his first tour with us. So we said to know 14 great tracks, in the language of DREAM THEATER but is too much music. Not like we risking too much. We are interested primarily dethoume as possible as a band with our new State to be more consistent across the world. I hope that people appreciate that."

It's not explicitly stated that they will be rotating the setlists more in future, but to me that was implied by mentioning not wanting to give him too much to learn on his first tour with them, and wanting to focus on playing tight as a band. As it's a translation, you may interpret it differently.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #77 on: August 10, 2011, 03:21:19 AM »
It was specifically stated by JP in this interview, that MM would be of course capable to learn about 40 songs for the tour, but as a band they thought it would be so much pressure for him given that it is his first tour. Also they did it in order to have consistent appearances and having everything executed perfectly.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: August 10, 2011, 11:57:19 AM »
Maybe I heard wrong in the recent JLB or another interview, that the non rotating lists made it easier for show production and James voice.  I could very well be mistaken, but I took that to mean those days were pretty much gone.  I hope not!!  I like being surprised by the setlist :)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: August 10, 2011, 01:56:44 PM »
while the last 4 DT albums, IMO, were just awful. 

You and I have a drastically different definition of the word awful.  :sadpanda:

Black Clouds & Silver Linings, Octavarium   >   St. Anger

Offline kiwiclapton

• It all began with Beatlemania,
  • In the name of God, Eric Clapton and the Slowhand
Re: Interview with JP (Rock Hard GR)
« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2011, 02:20:16 AM »
I can see "chachachacha" becoming a classic quote.
beat me to it, but this.  :lol

This,

Offline Bill Carson

« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2011, 02:42:41 AM »
 :facepalm: I'm sorry but Circus Maximus are not in the same league as DT so please do not mention them in the same breath again.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2011, 02:54:13 AM »
:facepalm: I'm sorry but Circus Maximus are not in the same league as DT so please do not mention them in the same breath again.
Why? I can compare Dream Theater to the Jonas Brothers if I want to and they're from another planet than Dream Theater. And seing as one of Circus Maximus has the same clown on one of their covers it is bound to raise a discussion.

Offline Bill Carson

« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2011, 03:25:50 AM »
Sorry, I didn't mean that they are incomparable, I meant that there is a huge difference (to my ears) in quality.
Even when DT are not firing on all cylinders they still stand out a mile in their genre.
A band like Circus just don't have the songs or the personnel to compare IMHO.

Offline Miyazaki74

« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2011, 10:28:11 AM »
Sorry, I didn't mean that they are incomparable, I meant that there is a huge difference (to my ears) in quality.
Even when DT are not firing on all cylinders they still stand out a mile in their genre.
A band like Circus just don't have the songs or the personnel to compare IMHO.

Agreed  

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #85 on: August 11, 2011, 01:22:29 PM »
Baklava is amazing. That is all.

That. In fact Greeks and Turks have more things in common than people think ;D
I am writing a translation and i will post it as soon as it is finished.

yes, Cyprus. And look how well that goes  :lol

Offline Orion1967

« Reply #86 on: August 11, 2011, 03:16:58 PM »
I'm trying to imagine Petrucci laughing as "chachacha".

Bears definately do not laugh like chachacha...  it must be the translation....   has to be. :lol
Cool Story Bro. 

Tell it again

Offline manticore999

« Reply #87 on: August 11, 2011, 03:40:52 PM »

You're right.  For the past x years they've been way better thsn DT!