Author Topic: Obligatory Pre-Release Discography Recap: WDaDU  (Read 4896 times)

Offline tjanuranus

Re: Obligatory Pre-Release Discography Recap: WDaDU
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2011, 11:55:11 PM »
I think I have made my opinion on this album clear: I like it! :metal Few bands are as professional on their debut album as DT was. I'd rate it 3.5/5 or 4/5. A Fortune in Lies, The Killing Hand, Afterlife and Only a Matter of Time are definite DT classics and TOWHTSTS is IMO their most underrated song. I don't see why people dislike it so much... The atmospheric keyboard/bass part in the intro is just wonderful!

People don't like it because of Dominici. I like it but my friend is a big DT fan and can't listen to it because of Charlie.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2011, 11:57:16 PM »
I think I have made my opinion on this album clear: I like it! :metal Few bands are as professional on their debut album as DT was. I'd rate it 3.5/5 or 4/5. A Fortune in Lies, The Killing Hand, Afterlife and Only a Matter of Time are definite DT classics and TOWHTSTS is IMO their most underrated song. I don't see why people dislike it so much... The atmospheric keyboard/bass part in the intro is just wonderful!

People don't like it because of Dominici. I like it but my friend is a big DT fan and can't listen to it because of Charlie.
I know the album is disliked beacuse of Charlie, I meant that TOWHTSTS gets undeserved hate.

Offline wammabe

« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2011, 12:25:35 AM »

I know the album is disliked beacuse of Charlie, I meant that TOWHTSTS gets undeserved hate.

True, I think its a great song, but I see lots of people in DTF hating on it.  :huh:

Offline Ħ

« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2011, 12:47:16 AM »
Not a huge fan of WDADU.  It's okay, but very amateur.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline robwebster

« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2011, 02:40:24 AM »
The only bad thing about Dream and Day is the production. The songwriting is absolutely fantastic, and Charlie Dominici is perfectly cool too. In all honesty, if I'm listening to Dream Theater on shuffle and A Fortune in Lies comes on, I don't notice there's been a change in vocalists. Not inasmuch as they sound similar, more that he doesn't sound out of place amidst the material for a second so it never really registers one way or the other. I don't think about it - never sit there going "this would benefit from some James."

My main issue with WDADU is the lack of diversity, really. All the songs are cut from very much the same cloth, which has only really happened on Train of Thought since, and even with ToT there was a lot more to set the songs apart from one another. Nonetheless - Ytse Jam, Light Fuse and OAMoT all struck me as fantastic as early as my first listen, and Fortune leapt from "eh" to "favourite" upon seeing it live, so yeah - lots of good stuff.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2011, 02:45:32 AM »
The first time I heard WDADU, I was surprised that Charlie's vocals weren't quite as bad as I was led to believe from the forums etc. That said, they're still not great overall. It's not that Charlie is a bad singer, it's just out of his range and embarrassing at points hearing him struggle. So it's no surprise that his vocals are a deal breaker, but it's far from the biggest problem with WDADU.

As for songwriting, it has a few gems, such as Afterlife, AFIL, Ytse Jam, and TKH, but the rest are quite bad and show DT's immaturity as songwriters that got sorted out by the time IaW came around. Due to the vocals, I can't really listen to the studio versions of AFIL and TKH though. That's what Marquee is for. ;)

Overall I'd give it a 3/10. A few good songs mixed with a lot of throwaway.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Raoul Sanchez

« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2011, 06:08:21 AM »
It's definitely towards the bottom of the pack for me as far as their albums go, but it does have a few things going for it. It's easily their most energetic and enthusiastic release, and it has some sweet as hell bass work. It just suffers from hit and miss songwriting and terrible production.

Offline Connoc

« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2011, 11:15:40 AM »
As a fellow bass player -- I love WDADU.

I know Jordan jokes about those 'Sad Myung' lines throughout the album, but his playing is just gorgeous here, this liquid cool simply pouring under the guitar, flying above the keyboard---gah. It's awesome.

I don't know what changed, but I don't necessarily say it's DT's fault--Myung doesn't play ANYTHING like that on Platypus/Jelly Jam albums either.

To me it's a mystery (sorry to de-rail this into a Where Are You John Myung thread)

Offline ElliottTamer

« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2011, 08:44:31 PM »
I did not read everybody's response to this topic, but it seems to me that most people seem to like it. Unfortunately, that is not the case for me.
When Dream and Day Unite was the first DT album, but the last one I listened to (excepting albums released after Octavarium). That was some years ago and I immediately disliked the album and left it to gather dust in my cellar. A couple of years later, I discovered When Dream and Day Reunite and that reignited my interest for the first album. I listened to this re-make a few times, yet it still did not work for me. Even with LaBrie singing, the songs just didn't catch my attention. The one exception to that was Ytse Jam, which this time around I put in my iPod, but only rarely listened to it, given I usually set my songs on shuffle and have quite a lot of songs...
About an year after the release of BC&SL, however, I decided to give the original version of the album another try. I could not find the one I had bought all those years ago, so in the end I purchased a second copy. Once more I listened to it a couple of times and decided that I really did not like it. This time around I was smart enough to keep it together with my other DT albums and make sure I did not lose it.
With the announcement of the new album, I decided to re-listen to the whole DT discography, including some rare non-album songs, which once more lead me to WDADU. This time around I listened to it at least 5 times. But I still don't like it. And maybe that's what makes this album so special: that regardless how often or how many times I dislike it, I keep coming back to it.
WDADU is to me a mystery. It makes me unsure of my own taste, makes me go after artists whose work I previously disliked in the hope I had just come across their WDADU. It makes me hope that one day I will finally get it, will finally hear that which attracts me there.

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2011, 03:22:17 AM »
I'm the sort of person who finds basically anything done by DT to be "good" or better, and this album is no exception. Definitely some great moments.

That said, when you stack it up against:

-the rest of DT's career
-all the discographies of bands that went on to make DT-style music
-re-recorded versions of the same songs with a better singer

I don't often find myself wanting to get this album out, when there's so much other progressive metal to choose from.

That said, I don't think there's an album where we really get to see DT so unbridled as they are here, at least instrumentally. Kevin Moore is out in full force both musically and lyrically, Myung's bass is everywhere, and of course Portnoy and Petrucci make their mark here. Myung would take a more subdued role on the next album, and the keyboards would gradually decline in intensity, at least until Rudess came around, and even Rudess never really carried full songs like Moore did back in the day (largely because Moore did lyrics).

There are some obvious flaws on this album. The vocals just don't work, for one. The main problem I have with Dominici is that he has this tendency to cut syllables off before any other singer would, and the lack of reverb on his voice only kind of furthers that problem. So do some of the weird hyper-syllabic lyrical phrasings, most obviously on OAMOT. In fact, when Dominici himself wrote the lyrics (Afterlife, for example), I feel like his voice does just fine.

Beyond Charlie, there's the obvious poor production and the occasional songwriting gaffe--while I love LFAGA, I always wince at that transition into the chorus, where it sounds like they just pasted two songs together, for example. There's also a distinct lack of epics--TKH gets there, but a lot of the music sounds so much more straight-ahead than what DT would later make--AFIL, for example. And that's not necessarily a bad thing--none of the songs really fall flat--but it does make them sort of run together. Occasionally, a song like Afterlife calls for some attention with a nice hook and the epic unison, but songs like SS and OAMOT, while pleasant, never really have much that grabs me like most of the rest of DT's catalog does.

Thankfully enough, we have bootlegs of the majority of these songs from LaBrie's 92-94 prime, which correct most of the flaws and really show how great the ideas behind them were.

I'll give it a solid 4/5. It and FII are DTs worst, IMO, by a fair bit, but none of the band's music falls short of enjoyable. If it weren't overshadowed by so much else, I'd love to give this one more spins.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2011, 03:23:19 AM »
Charlie's vocals on WDADU >= LaBrie's vocals on WDADRU
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2011, 03:26:31 AM »
Charlie's vocals on WDADU >= LaBrie's vocals on WDADRU

Has DTF ever done a poll on this? Because I agree.

To me, the definitive versions of the songs are the 92-94 ones with LaBrie. Score's version of Afterlife is good too. But if it's not one of those, then the original Charlie versions are better than the LaBrie ones, in my opinion.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline Evo

« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2011, 05:09:30 AM »
Fast-forward 10 years later; I come across the remaster of the album
Huh?

WDADU has fantastic moments and holds special place in my heart, but I don't listen to it very often because of the poor production, and I'm not a big fan of CD's vocals. I have to single out Only A Matter of Time though, which is one of my very favorite songs DT has ever done. Great writing, uplifting, great lyrics, etc.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2011, 08:17:36 AM »
Fast-forward 10 years later; I come across the remaster of the album
Huh?

There is a half-assed remaster out there, but it doesn't really fix anything.  The first couple of songs sound marginally better, but it sounds like whoever was in charge got bored as they went along and didn't bother to actually finish remastering the rest of the album.  DT was not in any way involved with the remastering.

I don't think the problems with the sound on that disc could even be fixed with a good remaster.  A complete remix, at least, would be required to make it sound good.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2011, 01:47:08 PM »
I love WDADU. It was my first DT album in '89 and I loved it.
I never had a problem with the production (though I knew it wasn't great) because it was no worse than the Rush albums from the '70s that I loved. And Cd's voice wasn't the best but it suited the material for me, and as a Rush fan I didn't mind that too high pitch. Maybe looking back at it after only having heard JLB it would be difficult, but I didn't have that to contend with.

I can understand people not loving it if it wasn't their first exposure to the band but for me it was. I still love it and I'm more likely to play it more than most other DT albums.

I also never had a problem with the cover. It never occured to me it was strange until I came here and people slated it. And the band pics didn't look so bad at the time I promise you young ones. Certainly a lot better than the Queensryche Rage For Order pics. That was embarrasing at the time too.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2011, 03:09:14 PM »
Lots to love about this album, but it's slightly flawed at the same time. There's not a lot of variety to be had with this one (the band would become MUCH more ambitious and willing to experiment in the future). My other big complaint is in Ytse Jam. The momentum of the song is completely killed after the drum solo. I think the song would have been much better if it had eschewed the stop/start bit.

Charlie's voice gets a lot of flak, but I tend to enjoy it here. There are some moments that are abysmal (The Killing Hand would have benefited greatly from a different vocalist), but he does a perfectly good job with most of the songs. The production is awful, of course, but it adds to the album's charm.

8/10
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Ħ

« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2011, 03:04:09 PM »
I like the fact that WDADU gets so many days dedicated to it.

Offline Mat JB

« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2011, 03:19:29 PM »
Aside from the presence of Charlie and the poor production, this album is awesome. It has a very unique atmosphere, like a hazy yet abnormally intense dream, and I like the fact the that the songs are all cut from the same cloth, as Rob said.

Only A Matter of Time is a great tune.

Offline FiberglassMoon

« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2011, 05:03:10 PM »
5.5/10

someone posted this in another WDaDU thread and I always laugh at it:

I AM THE KILLING HAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2011, 07:00:36 PM »
5.5/10

someone posted this in another WDaDU thread and I always laugh at it:

I AM THE KILLING HAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Haha that was a bad part. I enjoy listening to the album though for many reasons posted above, like the compositions themselves. I just don't like Charlie or the production. 7/10

Doing the other albums anytime soon? :P

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2011, 07:38:54 PM »
Production aside (which isn't that bad), it's a great album. The only bad song is "Light Fuse and Get Away", and everything else is either good or great. A top 5 DT album for me. 4.5/5.