Author Topic: Obligatory Pre-Release Discography Recap: WDaDU  (Read 4894 times)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
Obligatory Pre-Release Discography Recap: WDaDU
« on: August 08, 2011, 02:57:37 PM »
Before BC&SL came out, I led one of these. Basically, we go back and talk about all the Dream Theater studio albums thus far leading to the release of ADToE.

For this, I think it would be really cool if everyone had 200 words and that's it. I'm going to stick to it, at least.

The first studio album: When Dream and Day Unite.

When Dream and Day Unite is one of the most passionate of all Dream Theater studio albums. It's brimming with excitement from beginning to end and I think it's very easy to see how Images and Words followed it. The two have a lot of similarities to me.

WDaDU has at least one quintessential DT song in “Ytse Jam” and arguably even more. It also has some near-killers in “Light Fuse and Getaway” and “Only a Matter of Time”. It has shitty production, no doubt, and Charlie Dominici is not the vocalist James LaBrie is, but still, WDaDU is not deserving of its bad reputation. It seems to be one of the cosmopolitan picks for DT's worst, but I would rank it considerably higher.

Rating: 3 or 3.5 (out of five)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 05:44:52 PM by TheOutlawXanadu »
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Re: Obligatory Pre-Release Discography Recap: WDaDU
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 03:05:35 PM »
Cool idea! My rating is 4/4- out of five. I agree with almost everything you said, but you should not have passed over "The Killing Hand", easily the top song off WDADU!
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline MetropolisxPt1

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 03:16:54 PM »
The only albums better then WDADU imo are I&W, Awake, SFAM and SDOIT but on a good day it could even be tied with SDOIT.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 03:19:10 PM »
When Dream and Day Unite, Dream Theaters' debut album, reminds me of an overture of what is to come with Images and Words. Charlie Dominici is the vocalists, and shows he can do these songs pretty good, but also were not suited for what his range was, mainly The Killing Hand. The production is pretty bad, but doesnt distract from the music. The only problems it has are during TOWHTSTS, and LFAGA. The ending song, OAMOT is a great way to end a debut album. A song about setting off in search of a dream, not knowing what the future may hold, but knowing its only a matter of time till you succeed in the dream.

7/10, mainly for the poor production, otherwise it'd be a 8.5
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 03:28:04 PM »
A good time to tell my college radio story again! :D

In 1989, I was doing the metal show on my college radio station, Bryant College in RI, and one night doing the show, I was looking through the new record bin and I saw this album by a band called Dream Theater. I thought, that's a cool name for a band. I put it in cue and sampled it. Unfortunately when in cue, the keyboards really stood out and the drums sounded very thin. Just sounded kinda artsy to me. That combined with the gay album cover and even gayer band pic prompted me to put it down and never think of it again.

Flash forward to early to mid 1993. In the past 6 months I have discovered this great new band that I saw open for Iron Maiden, and I have now seen 4 times. I become aware that they have a first album, though it has a different singer. I called Worldwide CD in Chicago, (where I always ordered my hard to find CDs from). When WDADU came, I opened the package and...holy shit! I immedeately recognized the queer cover. I could not believe it.  :omg:
There it was, the very album that I had in my hands 4 years earlier.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 03:37:29 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 03:38:49 PM »

In 1989, I was doing the metal show on my college radio station, Bryant College in RI, and one night doing the show, I was looking through the new record bin and I saw this album by a band called Dream Theater. I thought, that's a cool name for a band. I put it in cue and sampled it. Unfortunately when in cue, the keyboards really stood out and the drums sounded very thin. Just sounded kinda artsy to me. That combined with the gay album cover and even gayer band pic prompted me to put it down and never think of it again.

Flash forward to early to mid 1993. In the past 6 months I have discovered this great new band that I saw open for Iron Maiden, and I have now seen 4 times. I become aware that they have a first album, though it has a different singer. I called Worldwide CD in Chicago, (where I always ordered my hard to find CDs from). When WDADU came, I opened the package and...holy shit! I immedeately recognized the queer cover. I could not believe it.  :omg:

That was a good story. 100% agree about the album cover and band pic.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline lithium112

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 03:57:12 PM »
I definitely agree with OP that WDADU was clearly written by an excited and enthusiastic bunch of guys. You can tell they were having fun writing that stuff and have perhaps lost that amateur excitement feeling (though in favour of more tasteful writing) on all subsequent albums. That said though, I don't really listen to the album that much mainly because Charlie's voice kills it for me.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 03:57:56 PM »

Flash forward to early to mid 1993. In the past 6 months I have discovered this great new band that I saw open for Iron Maiden, and I have now seen 4 times. I become aware that they have a first album, though it has a different singer. I called Worldwide CD in Chicago, (where I always ordered my hard to find CDs from). When WDADU came, I opened the package and...holy shit! I immedeately recognized the queer cover. I could not believe it.  :omg:

That was a good story. 100% agree about the album cover and band pic.

I kinda like the cover. Yeah, it's quite weird, I can see whoy most people dub it a "queer cover", but it's not the worst cover in the history of music (and of DT as well - ACOS ). The individual pics of the member, on the other hand, stand as the lamest things ever to stain the DT catalogue. But even that, I was not born until a couple of year after 89, maybe I'm just too culturally and cronologically distant to understand and appreciate that kind of "style"...
- Marco

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 03:59:06 PM »
I love ACOS' cover.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 04:06:27 PM »
I love ACOS' cover.

I love the orange (back) cover. The front one is, well, too much resembling a collage.  :lol
- Marco

Offline Vajra

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 04:06:38 PM »
I've mentioned WDADU a lot here, so I won't go too into detail. But the main point is that I think this album is one of DT's best albums. There's not a single song on here below a ranking of 8/10. I think it's in amazing album from start to finish. When it comes to DT, I can't really rank albums, because that's impossible, so I can't say which place I rank this album in, but I will rate each song off WDADU.

Out of /10

A Fortune In Lies - 9
Status Seeker - 8
Yste Jam - 8.5
The Killing Hand - 9.3
Light Fuse and Get Away - 8.5
Afterlife - 9
The Ones Who Help To Set The Sun - 9
Only A Matter of Time - 9.3

Offline JPX

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 04:09:07 PM »
Before BC&SL came out, I led one of these. Basically, we go back and talk about all the Dream Theater studio albums thus far leading to the release of ADToE.

If you did it before, whats the point of doing it again...?

Offline Vajra

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 04:13:40 PM »

If you did it before, whats the point of doing it again...?
We have a lot of new members now. Also, people's opinions have changed since last time.

Offline Scooterfruit

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 05:05:18 PM »
Many of the songs on this album suffer from a bit of immaturity in the orchestration and some of the song structures, however there is a spirit and energy in these songs that shows a band out to prove that they've got something really special to share with the world. I'm not a huge fan of Charlie but he does a decent job on this recording. The playing on this  record is really cool but you can also tell it's a young band proving that they can play.

The 4 instrumentalists were totally ready to cement their places amongst the great players on their respective instruments. Song highlights for me include the fantastic "The Killing Hand" "Afterlife" "Ytse Jam" and "Only a Matter of Time"

Overall, the songs are cool, the playing in great, the singing is decent. The album suffers from the obvious production issues and some somewhat immature orchestrations and song structures. That aside, the album is got an incredible energy and it's a totally inspired debut record

6/10

Offline Vajra

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 05:08:38 PM »
Many of the songs on this album suffer from a bit of immaturity in the orchestration and some of the song structures, however there is a spirit and energy in these songs that shows a band out to prove that they've got something really special to share with the world. I'm not a huge fan of Charlie but he does a decent job on this recording. The playing on this  record is really cool but you can also tell it's a young band proving that they can play.

The 4 instrumentalists were totally ready to cement their places amongst the great players on their respective instruments. Song highlights for me include the fantastic "The Killing Hand" "Afterlife" "Ytse Jam" and "Only a Matter of Time"

Overall, the songs are cool, the playing in great, the singing is decent. The album suffers from the obvious production issues and some somewhat immature orchestrations and song structures. That aside, the album is got an incredible energy and it's a totally inspired debut record

6/10
I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say their song structures and orchestrations are immature. Could you clarify?

Offline JonesyAZ

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 05:14:34 PM »
The first DT record I ever got was "Awake," shortly followed by "WDADU."  I remember upon first listen that I HATED WDADU...so much so that I sold it the next day.

Fast-forward 10 years later; I come across the remaster of the album and decide to give it another try.  It has since become a favorite of mine, mainly because I really dig the rough and dare I say "darker" vibe of the album, as well as Petricci's fired-up lead-work on "Fortune in Lies;" it gets my blood pumping every time.  Plus, listening to JMX's extremely unique bass lines on this album is a lot of fun to digest when i'm in the right mood.

I would give WDADU an 8 out of 10...for sheer uniqueness as it's place in the greater DT catalogue :)  Production however, does get a separate 5/10 :(
Sometimes I feel like I’m a super model.

But then I realize that I possess none of their qualities. Plus I have no mutant powers.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2011, 05:16:55 PM »
5/10

Offline jsem

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 05:22:26 PM »
6/10

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2011, 05:22:58 PM »
Lots of forgotten greatness here.  TOWHTSTS has one of DT's best ambient sections in its intro, a shredtastic guitar solo, and a very neat bass harmonic/FXy guitar jam at the start.  The Killing Hand laid the groundwork for all DT mini-epics to come, and is unique in that only one section has a verse/chorus structure, the rest just flows from one section to another without refrains.  SS is a well-done version of the 80's rock song, and surprisingly catchy.  And, of course, there's Ytsejam, the beginning of the DT instrumental section.  Ironically, this is the most listenable track on the album.

Why do I say ironically?  Because it's not the best song, but it's the most listenable because it doesn't have CD on it.  I don't think CD is a bad person or a bad guy, but I don't think his singing is great to begin with and it absolutely doesn't suit DT in my opinion.  There are many sections of the songs, especially in TKH, that his vocal chords just can't handle.

With JLB on vocals, this is easily one of my favorite DT albums.  With CD, I never know what to make of it.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline j

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2011, 05:26:59 PM »
Some great posts so far.  I feel like I've defended WDADU at length recently, so I won't repeat myself too much.  I think it's underrated, and I love the "youthful energy" (some other DTF member's descriptor, can't remember whose) of the music.  The production blows, but even that sort of adds to that "unknown but ambitious kids making an album on a super low budget" appeal.  Dominici's vocals aren't as bad as they're made out to be; the only song that suffers because of him is The Killing Hand.

Not big on applying arbitrary numerical ratings to stuff, but it's better than every DT album since SDOIT.  Highlights are Afterlife, Only a Matter of Time, A Fortune in Lies, and Light Fuse.

-J

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2011, 05:28:31 PM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Wonderfully written & composed album with terrible production and weak vocals. This could've been a "classic" DT album. Instead, I give it a 3.5/5

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2011, 05:31:49 PM »

Out of /10

A Fortune In Lies - 9
Status Seeker - 8
Yste Jam - 8.5
The Killing Hand - 9.3
Light Fuse and Get Away - 8.5
Afterlife - 9
The Ones Who Help To Set The Sun - 9
Only A Matter of Time - 9.3

You and me, we are going to be friends. Seriously though, WDADU is my third favorite Dream Theater album. When I was getting into DT, I had Images and Words. Everyone kept suggesting to go listen to SFAM or TOT, but I told them I wanted to listen to the debut. They literally warned me that if I wanted to like DT, that was not the way to go. If anything, it made me fall in love with them more.

EDIT: I also think that a few of these songs can only sound right with Charlie. Status Seeker, and Afterlife. I actually love Charlie's voice on this album, end of Killing Hand aside.

Offline wammabe

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2011, 05:33:30 PM »
I really love this album. If its remade in the studio, it has the capabilities of being one of my favorite DT albums.

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2011, 05:35:37 PM »
I think they should have Charlie redo it as well. I know that sounds weird, but instead of "erasing" him from that part of history, they should let him redo it in his own range. Especially since he has a great voice. Also, the obvious remixing and mastering needs to happen.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2011, 05:40:29 PM »
I think they should have Charlie redo it as well. I know that sounds weird, but instead of "erasing" him from that part of history, they should let him redo it in his own range. Especially since he has a great voice. Also, the obvious remixing and mastering needs to happen.

I'd pay you 100 bucks for every other DT fan that wanted to hear this, which I'm willing to do because I know I'd have to pay you zero dollars.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2011, 06:00:13 PM »
I'll participate. But only forr the albums I own :) (Octavarium, Images and Words, Awake, Systematic Chaos, Black Clouds and Silver Linings, Scenes From a Memory, and will there be ACOS?)
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2011, 06:05:10 PM »
Yo. How do I change this thread to a poll?
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Metrovarium

• Lord Tarp
  • SPAAAAAACE
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2011, 06:06:02 PM »
I'll participate. But only forr the albums I own :) (Octavarium, Images and Words, Awake, Systematic Chaos, Black Clouds and Silver Linings, Scenes From a Memory, and will there be ACOS?)
You absolutely need to buy Awake right now.

I'd pay you 100 bucks for every other DT fan that wanted to hear this, which I'm willing to do because I know I'd have to pay you zero dollars.
I wouldn't be against something like this, though without Charlie's vocals, since his voice has significantly deteriorated since 1989, and it wasn't exactly great to begin with. Not that I dislike his vocals on WDADU; I think they fit well for the album.

Offline DetonationSequence

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2011, 06:15:04 PM »
This has always been my least favourite DT album. At first it was the usual reasons - lack of LaBrie, lack of decent production, amateur songwriting etc. These days, while I have come to terms with the mixing and Charlie's voice for the most part, I simply find it doesn't match up to the rest of the band's discography. It's too flawed, too lacking in the power, grandiosity and diversity that define Dream Theater, too entrenched in Rush worship.

But that's not to say there aren't some damn good tunes on this album. Sure, it lacks almost every one of the key elements that make Dream Theater my favourite band, and there's some lacklustre material like The Ones Who Help To Set The Sun and Light Fuse And Get Away on there, but the rest of the material all holds up well when taken on its own. From the exciting mission statement of the career-opening A Fortune In Lies to the catchy chorus of Status Seeker, from the jaw-dropping guitar/keyboard duet in Afterlife to the triumphant ending of Only A Matter Of Time, and from Ytse Jam's impressive virtuosity to the band's first truly progressive song structure with The Killing Hand, it's an album chock full of cool moments that simply has too many weaknesses to really be a great DT album.

7/10.

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2011, 06:30:55 PM »

I wouldn't be against something like this, though without Charlie's vocals, since his voice has significantly deteriorated since 1989, and it wasn't exactly great to begin with. Not that I dislike his vocals on WDADU; I think they fit well for the album.

I think he sings better now on his own records than he did in 1989 DT. I just don't feel like James really needs to be on that album, to be honest, I'd be fine with them just doing a proper mix and master job, and maybe even touching up some of the vocals with Charlie.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2011, 07:41:28 PM »

He has Awake. But what he really needs is Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence... Pronto!

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2011, 07:48:53 PM »
I looked for it in the store but they didn't have it. But I have score, and the title track is godly!
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Scooterfruit

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2011, 08:18:12 PM »

6/10
I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say their song structures and orchestrations are immature. Could you clarify?

Yeah for sure.

You can 100% tell that they have evolved as songwriters since then. To my ears, a song like Light Fuse and Get Away is just kind of a mess. It just jumps from one thing to another too quick and it doesn't seem like one cohesive thought to my ears. The Ones who helped to set the sun is a bit like this as well. One thing they're known for are those so called quick turns and putting different ideas together seamlessly, but I don't think they did that on this record for the most part.

One thing they refer to in the commentary for WDADRU is the whole idea of the instruments playing in the correct registers and stuff. Portnoy referred to having the bass on tensions a lot and guitar and keys playing in basically the same registers. While I think this can be really cool, they definitely improved on later albums as they grew and matured as songwriters.

Basically, my whole thought is it sounds like a young band, which is what they were. Images and Words however, does not. That album REALLY came together quite perfectly in terms of orchestrations and song structures. The songs were cohesive yet adventurous. Anyways, that's all I mean.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2011, 08:22:01 PM »
For the first time in a few years I've sat down and listened through an entire DT album non-stop (hasn't happened since ToT I think), mainly because I want to see if I can re-kindle my love for DT with this new album.

WDADU:

I wish the myung from 1989 would come play on the new album (not to say he isn't going to, but I have my doubts). The bass lines are incredibly memorable and really carry some songs. Everyone is in top form and they really sound like they are giving their all. I really wish that WDADU had better production value but I don't think I'd like a re-release, even if they had CD sing. To me WDADU represents a moment of time where 5 guys got together and said "Lets make a great prog album" and they did. They packed energy, power, catchy and memorable melodies in one album.

Overall rating: 7/10

There is my scatter brained, drunk thoughts on the album.,

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2011, 11:43:10 PM »
I think I have made my opinion on this album clear: I like it! :metal Few bands are as professional on their debut album as DT was. I'd rate it 3.5/5 or 4/5. A Fortune in Lies, The Killing Hand, Afterlife and Only a Matter of Time are definite DT classics and TOWHTSTS is IMO their most underrated song. I don't see why people dislike it so much... The atmospheric keyboard/bass part in the intro is just wonderful!