Author Topic: MP: "Hearing New Dream Theater is Painful!"  (Read 8736 times)

Offline Dream Team

Re: MP: "Hearing New Dream Theater is Painful!"
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2011, 08:37:17 AM »
I'm just saying, considering the internet cannot read sarcasm. People would read it like he's actually saying the song sucks without him.

If people actually thought that wasn't sarcastic, I honestly don't know what to say.

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2011, 10:25:48 AM »
All things considered, that comment was about as tactful and polite as can be expected under the circumstances. 

He's going to have hard time moving on, and odds are he will never be able to truly escape the shadow of being the "ex-DT drummer".  Even if Adrenaline Mob or one of his other projects becomes more successful then DT, he will always be in a position of having to live up to (and, perhaps sometimes, live down) his reputation of having been the drummer of Dream Theater for 25 years.  Ozzy was never able to fully escape his history of being the original singer of Black Sabbath, and his solo career, by and large, was a much greater success (commercially speaking anyways.  If you want to debate that on an artistic level, then you have an open argument).

Ultimately, I think what will be the most difficult thing for him to live with is just the knowledge that there actually was a Dream Theater after Mike Portnoy.  I'm sure he will be constantly second guessing his decision to quit for quite a while before he finally comes to terms with his new career and wherever that leads.  Every time he talks about any of his upcoming projects, he seems refreshed and recharged, with a new found sense of purpose, in ways that he hasn't for a long time in Dream Theater.  I'm happy that he at least seems to have found his muse again, and that he actually feels motivated with his new material.  I guess the pain of not being in DT is the price he has to pay for that artistic freedom.  Was it worth it?  Probably, but it may take a long time before he can fully appreciate that fact.

Offline John94

« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2011, 10:30:44 AM »
You know what is painful? Some of the "tweets" that the AMob twitter account has been retweeting which contains stuff like "Dream Who?" and "My favourite band for 25 years now suck."

While the rest of the tweets contain some good feedback towards the new EP, I just think there is no need to retweet them if they contain hate for something which has nothing to do with Adrenaline Mob.

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2011, 11:01:08 AM »
You know what is painful? Some of the "tweets" that the AMob twitter account has been retweeting which contains stuff like "Dream Who?" and "My favourite band for 25 years now suck."

Favourite band for 25 years? 

Whaaaaaat? 

Soooooo................, there are people out there who saw MP, JP and JM in a practice room at Berklee back in '85 jamming on Rush and Iron Maiden songs and decided right then and there "These guys are the best band in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!"  :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2011, 11:04:51 AM »
While the rest of the tweets contain some good feedback towards the new EP, I just think there is no need to retweet them if they contain hate for something which has nothing to do with Adrenaline Mob.

Tbh, looking at the Adrenaline Mob thread in GM, overly positive tweets about the EP might not have been the richest pickings.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Harpejji

• The new number 2
« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2011, 11:58:32 AM »

Tbh, looking at the Adrenaline Mob thread in GM, overly positive tweets about the EP might not have been the richest pickings.

rumborak

Hmm, I think the best song on it, will be the Mob Rules ::)

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2011, 01:35:06 PM »
MP on Twitter:

"FTR, *I* did NOT retweet any negative posts & I just undid them...let's keep the vibes positive everyone...I LOVE everyone's enthusiasm! : )"
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2011, 01:44:09 PM »
That is a relief.  Glad MP stated that  :tup
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2011, 01:48:52 PM »
Really, can you blame him? I certainly can't. Considering how involved he was with everything, actually hearing new material must have really sent the message to him that he screwed up. Sure, he already knew that, but this just cements it. I feel bad for him.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2011, 01:54:16 PM »
DISCLAIMER: DEFINITELY A JOKE.

Waitwaitwait, Mike Portnoy's saying listening to Dream Theater is painful? Imagine how they feel, they've got to listen to Adrenaline Mob.

DISCLAIMER: ADRENALINE MOB'S EP IS NOT BAD.

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #80 on: August 09, 2011, 01:56:32 PM »

Waitwaitwait, Mike Portnoy's saying listening to Dream Theater is painful? Imagine how they feel, they've got to listen to Adrenaline Mob.

Oh you.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: August 09, 2011, 01:57:53 PM »
:icy:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #82 on: August 09, 2011, 02:02:17 PM »

Oh you.
:hat

Genuinely, I have wanted to post that every single time I've read that title. It's a really simple play on words - honestly, not intended any more maliciously than "supercollider? i hardly know 'er!" - but it has been taunting me since the interview first came out.

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2011, 02:03:58 PM »
I was tempted, but the Banhammer commeth!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2011, 02:18:09 PM »

Oh you.
:hat

Genuinely, I have wanted to post that every single time I've read that title. It's a really simple play on words - honestly, not intended any more maliciously than "supercollider? i hardly know 'er!" - but it has been taunting me since the interview first came out.

No worries, well played sir. :lol
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #85 on: August 09, 2011, 02:18:40 PM »
:glare:

Well, okay.  :rollin
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Harpejji

• The new number 2
« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2011, 02:41:13 PM »

AM [EP] is not bad, but far away from good. Best track: The Mob Rules.