Author Topic: MP: "Hearing New Dream Theater is Painful!"  (Read 8735 times)

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Re: MP: "Hearing New Dream Theater is Painful!"
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 02:19:30 PM »
Already a thread for this. And it got :lokked:

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 02:22:29 PM »
<post>

</post>
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 02:26:37 PM »
Already a thread for this. And it got :lokked:

Let's try again and see if we can have a discussion without the garbage that got the other one locked.

<post>

</post>

Knock off the spam posting.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline emtee

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 02:31:04 PM »
Understandable. I look back at this whole damn saga and wish like hell it could have been different. And I think it's taking
every ounce of Mike's grit to force happiness right now.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 02:31:41 PM »
This is news to me. I'm glad he didn't comment on the song (good or bad). I can also see how it really must suck see them carry on without him.

Offline MetropolisxPt1

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 03:13:48 PM »
I hope this thread stays more civil.

Mp should just work on his projects and enjoy himself and all will be forgotten in time.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 03:16:11 PM »
Somewhat OT: why is the Jerusalem Post interviewing Dream Theater?  I mean I guess Jordan is Jewish and they played in Tel Aviv at some time this year, but that's still kinda weird... :lol
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 03:27:06 PM »
I understand how hard it'd be. The people you've played with since your 20's forming a band and growing your whole lives with continuing without you. But then he understands them also, thats why he left. He wanted the break, the other guys didn't and he said alright. He could have been an ass and tried everything to keep the band image, he didn't and shows how much he understands the other guys. He realized what he did, and it was too late. He got taught a lesson in a way. But everything keeps turning and now he is free to do whatever the hell he wants be it YMC, AM, anything. I'll be happy he's doing it with his heart put it in, or just for fun/laughs.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline EuropaEndlos

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 03:49:42 PM »
S'all on him, though I could understand why...  Wish he woulda stayed so this wouldn't of happened... But for the sake of Petrucci, Myung, LaBrie, Rudess, and now Mangini, I hope it's more solid than Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds were... 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 04:06:06 PM »
Completely understandable.  I would tend to be even more concerned if it wasn't a painful experience for him.  It's been painful for everyone.  But, such is life.  You make decisions and you live with em...
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 04:09:34 PM »
I heard this interview live and was surprised at how tactful he was.  I don't think anyone faults him for not feeling great listening to it.  Even if A7X kept him, I bet he would still have a tough time listening to it.  I just don't understand why he couldn't be more tactful all along.  

I also kinda wish he could have at least complimented the guys, especially after the whole drama with the facebook "liking" he did.  The only other time he commented on Mangini that I'm aware of, he said "I knew they would get an amazing drummer, so I'm not surprised" or something like that.  I just wish he could have at least gone that route and said something like, "It's really painful for me to hear new Dream Theater because I never wanted it to turn out this way, so I can't really comment except to say that they are still 5 world class musicians and they're doing what they're best at.  I can't comment beyond that because its still very awkward and painful to listen to Dream Theater that I'm not a part of."  

A lot of people have commented that MP has been portraying himself as a victim, but if he were to comment in that tone instead of using a passive aggressive tone and emoticons, I really do think people would feel bad for him and secretly hope for a reunion with him sooner than later.  As it stands, I think most people, myself included, are perfectly happy with Mangini staying in the fold for the long haul.  

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 04:10:59 PM »
I'm sure he's really being sincere, but I think he's had a sorta "boy who cried wolf" type thing happen since this whole drama started.  People are used to him being antagonistic, so we're going to naturally see this as another underhanded comment from MP.  I do feel for him though.

Offline JPX

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 04:13:58 PM »
I always respected Mike for his honesty. I realize he'll get ripped apart regardless but I'd be fine if he continued to speak his mind like he always had. If he likes it, great...if he hates it, that's cool too.

Offline MetropolisxPt1

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 04:21:53 PM »
I always respected Mike for his honesty. I realize he'll get ripped apart regardless but I'd be fine if he continued to speak his mind like he always had. If he likes it, great...if he hates it, that's cool too.
Honesty :tup

Offline jsem

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 04:23:26 PM »
I don't get why people still care about MP's statements at this point.

I don't get why I posted in this thread, what a hypocrite I am.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2011, 04:24:30 PM »
I actually appriciate Mike for saying that he has heard the new song.  I mean, how many musicians get asked this about their previous bands and a lot of the time the answer is "You know, I haven't even a chance to listen to any of the new stuff."

I appriciate Mike for saying this, in an appropriate manner.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 04:29:25 PM »
Mike, by nature of his personality, didn't have a choice whether he listened to it or not.  You know he can't keep himself away from it.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2011, 04:34:40 PM »
I mean it is true. How many here in their high school/college years blocked their exes on a social network because they knew otherwise they'd always be checking in? We're only human, and I can admit I did so with my ex.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2011, 04:49:10 PM »
I mean it is true. How many here in their high school/college years blocked their exes on a social network because they knew otherwise they'd always be checking in? We're only human, and I can admit I did so with my ex.

Yeah, and we also went around talking crap about them any chance we got, even if it wasn't true. :lol :biggrin:

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2011, 04:50:14 PM »
I know this is OT, but actually with my ex-girlfriend I didn't.  I always ripped hard into girls that rejected me or put me in the friend zone, but never for my ex, for some reason.

Offline Knguro

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2011, 05:16:25 PM »
i just think that at this point who really cares about mike´s opinion about what DT is doing, let me put it this way, i dont really care about what DT has to say about what MP is doing, i´m pretty sure they would be nice and stuff but seriously, who cares?, a lot of stuff has been really good for DT lately why should we be worried about what´s MP opinion about them?
...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...
And your English is just fine. :tup

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2011, 05:16:43 PM »
I know this is OT, but actually with my ex-girlfriend I didn't.  I always ripped hard into girls that rejected me or put me in the friend zone, but never for my ex, for some reason.

Still OT but I'm the same, I blocked her but I never spoke badly about her seeing as we both had equal blame.

Offline j

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2011, 05:16:50 PM »
I heard this interview live and was surprised at how tactful he was.  I don't think anyone faults him for not feeling great listening to it.  Even if A7X kept him, I bet he would still have a tough time listening to it.  I just don't understand why he couldn't be more tactful all along.

Agreed.  He's still playing the victim a little hard, but I think this is a step in the right direction.

I also kinda wish he could have at least complimented the guys, especially after the whole drama with the facebook "liking" he did.  The only other time he commented on Mangini that I'm aware of, he said "I knew they would get an amazing drummer, so I'm not surprised" or something like that.  I just wish he could have at least gone that route and said something like, "It's really painful for me to hear new Dream Theater because I never wanted it to turn out this way, so I can't really comment except to say that they are still 5 world class musicians and they're doing what they're best at.  I can't comment beyond that because its still very awkward and painful to listen to Dream Theater that I'm not a part of."  

I dunno man, at this point I think you'd have to be certifiably insane to think there was the possibility of him coming out and saying something classy like "the new DT sounds great, I'm having a hard time, but I'm happy for the guys", or whatever.  I just don't think he has it in him.  If he has really disliked the new DT stuff so far (which I would find hard to believe if he could stop *edited for content* and just listen to it...it's very much like the music he's made with them for the past 2 decades), then he did the right thing by keeping his mouth shut.

But I'm curious what kind of negative backlash he thinks there would be if he were to say something GOOD about the music, that doesn't make any sense at all.

-J

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2011, 05:17:52 PM »
i just think that at this point who really cares about mike´s opinion about what DT is doing, let me put it this way, i dont really care about what DT has to say about what MP is doing, i´m pretty sure they would be nice and stuff but seriously, who cares?, a lot of stuff has been really good for DT lately why should we be worried about what´s MP opinion about them?

I think there is still some curiosity (at least with me) about what he thinks of the new album.

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2011, 05:25:19 PM »
Do I wish this never went down and MP was still the drummer of DT? YES!

Do I like the fact that DT moved on with Mike Mangini? YES!

Can I patiently wait for the album release and 10/11 (NJ) and 10/12 (NY)? NO! :facepalm:

Offline Knguro

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2011, 05:26:09 PM »

I think there is still some curiosity (at least with me) about what he thinks of the new album.

understandable, but i would say, with all the respect, is really useless to remark every word that he has to say, because to me it wont change my perspective about what I think about the album, and it could just add more drama to it, either if its good or bad. imo
...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...
And your English is just fine. :tup

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2011, 05:56:50 PM »
This is news to me. I'm glad he didn't comment on the song (good or bad). I can also see how it really must suck see them carry on without him.

If I was in a successful band, doing what I love and the drummer suggested we split up for a few years or he would quit, i'd close the door behind him too.

Offline MetropolisxPt1

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2011, 06:17:35 PM »

If I was in a successful band, doing what I love and the drummer suggested we split up for a few years or he would quit, i'd close the door behind him too.

He didn't give the band an ultimatum.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2011, 06:19:34 PM »
I think if MP ever came out saying he didn't like the album, I have a feeling that would make everyone else like the album that much more haha
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2011, 06:20:39 PM »
Why should he make a real comment?? Anything he has said about anything DT related or not, has been scrutinized, slammed, bashed and stomped to dirt. Whether or not he deserved the editorials from blabbermouth, fans  or whomever, he will not get a break. The comments always come down to  he's whining or playing the victim or whatever. Everyone just seems to want to make him look like an *sshole for speaking his mind. Remember, this is something he has done all along. If it was me, I would do the same thing and probably take it a step further saying to any interviewer "If you ask anything about DT, interview over"
If he says the new material is great, comments will be "he's envious and wants back in the band". If he says it's a steaming pile of s*it then it's sour grapes and mud slinging.
What's done is done, and everyone just needs to move on.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2011, 06:29:02 PM »
Word.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2011, 06:58:48 PM »
Why should he make a real comment?? Anything he has said about anything DT related or not, has been scrutinized, slammed, bashed and stomped to dirt. Whether or not he deserved the editorials from blabbermouth, fans  or whomever, he will not get a break. The comments always come down to  he's whining or playing the victim or whatever. Everyone just seems to want to make him look like an *sshole for speaking his mind. Remember, this is something he has done all along. If it was me, I would do the same thing and probably take it a step further saying to any interviewer "If you ask anything about DT, interview over"
If he says the new material is great, comments will be "he's envious and wants back in the band". If he says it's a steaming pile of s*it then it's sour grapes and mud slinging.

I really don't understand how you can think he would be criticized for saying something positive.  Just about everyone that has criticized him on DT related boards has specifically been bothered by some of the more negative or passive aggressive things he's done.  I really don't know anyone that hates the guy or wishes he had never been in DT.  People just hate the way he's been acting since the split and maybe for a few years before that.  MP is not damned if he does, damned if he doesn't, he is simply damned if he acts passive aggressive or demeaning which is how I and many others feel he has been acting for a while. 

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2011, 07:03:54 PM »

He didn't give the band an ultimatum.

Even still it's hard, when you reach an in-pass and both parties have to do something neither want to but have to.

Offline j

« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2011, 08:00:01 PM »

I really don't understand how you can think he would be criticized for saying something positive.  Just about everyone that has criticized him on DT related boards has specifically been bothered by some of the more negative or passive aggressive things he's done.  I really don't know anyone that hates the guy or wishes he had never been in DT.  People just hate the way he's been acting since the split and maybe for a few years before that.  MP is not damned if he does, damned if he doesn't, he is simply damned if he acts passive aggressive or demeaning which is how I and many others feel he has been acting for a while. 

This.  Like I said:

But I'm curious what kind of negative backlash he thinks there would be if he were to say something GOOD about the music, that doesn't make any sense at all.

-J

Everybody already knows he tried to get back into DT, so what?  Complimenting their music would not rub ANYBODY the wrong way.  The passive-aggressive comments and other petty shit he has been saying (defended by some as "oh it's just good ol' MP, wearing his heart on his sleeve", lol) have rightfully brought criticism.  Predicting that he would receive any amount of backlash for a classy, positive comment about the new DT is ridiculous and completely baseless, since he has yet to say anything of the sort for reference.

-J