Author Topic: "When Dream and Day Unite" by Harpejji  (Read 1970 times)

Offline Harpejji

• The new number 2
"When Dream and Day Unite" by Harpejji
« on: August 08, 2011, 01:57:44 AM »
Album: When Dream and Day Unite
Band: Dream Theater
Year: 1989
Length: 50:11

Tracklist:
1. A Fortune in Lies
2. Status Seeker
3. The Ytsé Jam
4. The Killing Hand
5. Light Fuse and Get Away
6. Afterlife
7. The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun
8. Only a Matter of Time

A Dream Theater album without James LaBrie on vocals and Jordan Rudess on keyboards, and be critized many times as the least favourable album done by our hero's. The production should be horrible, Charlie Dominici should sound way more horrible than the production and the Dream Theater that we know now of should sound way different, at least that was people told me! But I've learned never judge a book by it's cover...

The opener, A Fortune in Lies, is a great opener. It sounds more like a heavy metal song to me, but still great! Charlie Dominci is in my opinion not the cheesy singer I was heard of. It's quite listenable and not annoying to hear him sing the lyrics. AFIL is a great opener, which I think should be played more live. The Ytsé Jam is the first real song which reminds of what Dream Theater is making nowadays. It's complex, fast and progressive!

The Killing Hand features many parts of what a progressive-metal song should have! Features many chapters in this song, lyrically and musically, this is also a quite well-known recipe for many Dream Theater songs written in the future (as we speak in 1989). Sometimes Dominici sound like a 80's popband singer (female or male), but that's not the only 80's vibe you will hear. You will hear that the band is highly influenced by Genesis and Iron Maiden.

Afterlife is an up-tempo song, which I know of their live album: "Score". This song includes a great chorus, which is very catchy! I think Dominci did a better job on this song than James LaBrie. The most Epic song on this album is by far The Ones Who Help the Sun Set! From beginning till the end an amazing song. Last, but not least, the final track, Only a Matter of Time. OAMOT is like Status Seeker and Light Fuse and Get away not the best song on the album. Still a quite enjoyable song!

The Verdict
Well, I can't say that the production is that horrible, it's old-fashioned, but still quite listenable. Charlie Dominici is also not that bad as people told me of. He is not the best singer, but still it's not disturbing to hear the complete album. Songs like: A Fortune in Lies, The Killing Hand and Afterlife are really great and I think many fans will agree with me. It's a shame if you don't try "When Dream and Day Unite", because Dominici is the vocalist. Dream Theater itself sounds different, but also familiar! It's not the best album, and maybe it's mine least favourite album too, but in terms of Dream Theater it doesn't say much!

Most noteable song: The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun

Score: 7/10
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 05:22:23 AM by Harpejji »

Offline Ħ

Re: "When Dream and Day Unite" by Harpejji
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 01:58:48 AM »
Uh....neat review, wrong section.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Harpejji

• The new number 2
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 02:11:02 AM »
I've noticed, I hope a moderator will replace it.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 02:26:11 AM »
I've noticed, I hope a moderator will replace it.
To a casual observer, it's just a matter of time (until they do). But yes, I agree with you. When I bought the album I was not expecting great, great things (merely moderately great things), and I was surprised. I like the album a lot. Admittedly I had heard WDADR and also The Majesty Demos, so I knew it would be pretty good, but it was still a lot better than I had been led to believe.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline wammabe

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 06:36:07 AM »
I'd love to see DT rerecord the album. Whether or not its with Dominici. Its definitely not my least favorite Dream Theater album.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 07:37:54 AM »
And here I was hoping to hear the entire album played on a harpejji. :-\
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 07:41:55 AM »
I'd love to see DT rerecord the album. Whether or not its with Dominici. Its definitely not my least favorite Dream Theater album.
I really like WD&DU but re-recording it could be an interesting idea. The production would be much better and JLB, JR and MM could bring their own touch to the songs. Of course they did the WD&DRU but it's a live release and judging by what I've heard from it, James' vocals aren't that great.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 07:58:44 AM »
I don't think people really check the reviews board very often.  I'll leave it here for just a bit so people can comment, and then move it later.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TL

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 08:03:32 AM »

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 08:55:55 AM »

That's exactly what I thought too when I saw that thread title :lol

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 09:02:22 AM »

That's exactly what I thought too when I saw that thread title :lol

Offline Ħ

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 09:47:28 AM »
Okay, well if this is here, then I'll share my thought that there's no way I'd give WDADU a 7/10.  Probably more like a 5/10 for me.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 10:07:25 AM »
I was expecting horrible things when I heard it but was pleasantly surprised.  I listened to it non-stop for weeks and then listened to WDADRU for probably months when that came out.  I personally think To Live Forever off of WDADRU is the definitive version.