Author Topic: The Aristocrats - Guthrie Govan, Bryan Beller, Marco Minnemann (merged)  (Read 28067 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
Just discovered this band myself!  Listened to the self-titled today.  I'm very impressed -- this is a true supergroup, and the music is very good and expertly performed.  (I'm not a huge fan of Beller's reliance on effects myself, but that's a matter of personal preference more than anything.)

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
My body is ready.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Can't wait to see them in 7 days!

Offline MS394

In their Facebook page, there´s a link for streaming the complete title track.
Really interesting song IMO.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Just heard it, I like it more than most songs on the first album. I really like the first album but from the snippets I've heard so far I'll love this album.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Just heard the new album. Miles better than the first, can't wait to see them Friday!

Offline SjundeInseglet

Offline philmcson

Just heard the new album. Miles better than the first, can't wait to see them Friday!

Right. It has more "metal" and Dance of the Aristocrats is a great opener, they nailed that song when I saw them live. Hope they'll do another European tour and come close to my town, they're great artists!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
I like the new album, it's clear that they have a better understanding of each other. Everything sounds more cohesive and in place than in the first album.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline ColdFireYYZ

I like the new album, it's clear that they have a better understanding of each other. Everything sounds more cohesive and in place than in the first album.
I completely agree with this. I liked the debut but this one is a step up.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
This album is easily one of the best of this year, so good, so concise. I hope there are many more albums to come.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Just saw them last night, one of the best shows I've ever been to. Small venue, about 100 people. They are all machines, Guthrie is just unbelievable as a guitarist.

Offline jsem

The new album is amazing.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Listening to it right now. Not too bad, I dig some tunes, especially the opener.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Counting the days until Saturday.....

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
You're in for one hell of a show ytse. I walked away saying to myself that is probably the most talented rock trio I'll ever see.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: The Aristocrats - Guthrie Govan, Bryan Beller, Marco Minnemann (merged)
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2013, 03:33:42 PM »
You're in for one hell of a show ytse. I walked away saying to myself that is probably the most talented rock trio I'll ever see.

Well, I wasn't blown away. But they were very enjoyable. Apparently they had some vehicle trouble before the gig, so that may have affected the performance. They seemed a little rough around the edges

Marco didn't disappoint. He was the primary reason I went. Definately richer for having had the experience.

Picked up the live album at the show. Place was nearly packed too in spite of Yestival and Winery Dogs playing the same night.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2013, 07:50:27 PM »
Wow they were literally perfect at my show, but it was the first show of the tour (I think).

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2013, 08:15:56 PM »

I'm sure that no matter what I see Guthrie play - he just ends up shredding all over it as fast as he can. That's the main reason I don't like players like that...

I cannot even listen to Vai or Satch because you don't hear a finely crafted *song* with a nice melody. They can't not show off their chops.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2013, 08:21:53 PM »
I was also at the New Jersey show and they blew me away. Incredible show, with a phenomenal drum solo from Minnemann. If this was a bad night for them then I can't imagine how great they must be on a good night.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2013, 10:31:18 PM »
I was also at the New Jersey show and they blew me away. Incredible show, with a phenomenal drum solo from Minnemann. If this was a bad night for them then I can't imagine how great they must be on a good night.

It WAS a great show. First time I've ever seen them. They has a lot of fun too it seemed like.

Heard great things about Govan (Although i've not been impressed with him in other contexts, He certainly has his own style. I certainly understand now why people fuss over him. And he did play a few very cool melodic solos. (I like Satch and Vai, and in this limited setting I don't think I'd compare him with that kind of style. He really forges his own path. The guy is a great talent and if I'd definately prefer him in this context rather than say....John Payne's Asia or GPS.

Of course I could be spoiled (Actually, I'm sure I am when it comes to music like that), I expected a bit more craziness than was delivered. I also expected the drum solo to be something like that so I'm probably major league spoiled. Seeing bands, like King Crimson or Zappa Plays Zappa or The Mahavishnu Project (not Orchestra) will do that to you I guess.

I'd certainly see them again.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2013, 10:44:06 PM »
I cannot even listen to Vai or Satch because you don't hear a finely crafted *song* with a nice melody. They can't not show off their chops.
gotta disagree with you there. Vai, and Satch in particular, both have great melody in their playing. obviously they show off their chops because they're very technical, but compared to most shredders out there (Jeff Loomis, MAB, Yngwie, etc..) they have far more melody in their music. for Satch I would recommend listening to one of his slower ballads, or "If I Could Fly", lots of melody there  :tup

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2013, 06:11:39 AM »
I'm not just talking about speed though :) It's like every Vai solo has to have a whammy bit - a tappy bit etc etc you know ?

Same with Satch. It's almost like they're going " well i'm known for being this super amazing guitarist - I need to prove that in every song. "

All i hear is the technique gone into it - not the actual emotion.

Same with Ken Brannagh & his acting :lol - All I hear is the training and not the acting.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2013, 07:34:56 AM »

I'm sure that no matter what I see Guthrie play - he just ends up shredding all over it as fast as he can. That's the main reason I don't like players like that...

I actually find Guthrie to be a little different, I do agree with you but he can show restraint, something that I've never seen Vai do live.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2013, 08:09:48 AM »
This just started showing up in my amazon "stuff you might like".  How the hell did Amazon know I was reading DTF?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2013, 02:31:26 PM »

I actually find Guthrie to be a little different, I do agree with you but he can show restraint, something that I've never seen Vai do live.

He did a sweet solo in Flatlands, so he's very capable of doing that, but I don't really think that is is style based only on my two hour experience. I'm really hoping I get a chance to see them again.

Satriani is very good at melody. There always seems to be at least a few of those on his albums.
I've got about 10 Vai albums (but nothing in the last 10 years or so) and Vai can be melodic too, but less so in my experience based on what I have. (I've never seen Vai live to know what he does there.)

I was going to listen to the live Aristocrats album that I bought Saturday on the way up to last night's Winery Dogs show, but I didn't burn it yet so I opted for the improv Liquid Tension bonus disc instead.  Worked well with the torrential downpours for some strange reason.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2013, 02:35:21 PM »
I got both Aristocrats CD's in the mail today. They shall be played in the car tomorrow.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2013, 09:36:25 PM »
Just finished listening to the live Aristocrats double album that I bought at the gig last week.

Wow!  I think I like it even more than the gig I was at.  Guthrie's performance was a little more on the mellow side as well.

Is the new disc heavier or more metal than their previous work?  If so, it might make sense for me to look into the earlier stuff first.

I really love the live album... a lot.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2013, 06:11:55 AM »
Yea the new stuff is heavier, the first album seemed a bit more out there.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2013, 06:17:04 AM »
Yea the new stuff is heavier, the first album seemed a bit more out there.

I've seen this term pop up a lot recently and I have not the slightest idea what it means. Can somebody explain?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2013, 06:20:44 AM »
Out there is kind of slang for meaning a bit trippy,wacky or crazy or unique.

Not generic or standard.

A bit experimental basically.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2013, 06:23:29 AM »
Out there is kind of slang for meaning a bit trippy,wacky or crazy or unique.

Not generic or standard.

A bit experimental basically.

Exactly.

Offline JPX

« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2013, 12:28:41 PM »
I'm not just talking about speed though :) It's like every Vai solo has to have a whammy bit - a tappy bit etc etc you know ?

Same with Satch. It's almost like they're going " well i'm known for being this super amazing guitarist - I need to prove that in every song. "

All i hear is the technique gone into it - not the actual emotion.

Same with Ken Brannagh & his acting :lol - All I hear is the training and not the acting.

Wow, I can't begin to explain how wrong I find your statement(s). I'm no fan of Satriani so I won't comment on him, but damn, Steve Vai creates some of the most delicate and musical pieces that you ever hear on the guitar. I have everything he has ever done and his 7th songs especially just pour with emotion.
Even when he uses a specific technique like sweeping, he does it musically - he never just "shreds".

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2013, 01:20:10 PM »
I should really check this out, MM is amazing (well, both of them).