Author Topic: Muse - v. Will of the People (rel Aug 26, 2022)  (Read 207559 times)

Offline RandalGraves

Re: Muse - v. Will of the People (rel Aug 26, 2022)
« Reply #1470 on: November 10, 2022, 12:00:03 PM »
I got off the Muse train when The Resistance came out (Did not like the album very much). Have not listened to anything that they put out since.

Decided to listen to the new album and that did nothing in making want to listen to Muse again  :\ :|

As someone who also fell off of Muse when Resistance came out, I'd actually urge you to go back and at least give the other albums a listen or two. I've spent the past week doing exactly that and while I've only listed to a few (Resistance, Drones, Will of the People), there's usually 2 or 3 songs I find really solid off of each album. It should be at least enough for you to put together a "best of" of their past 5 or so albums.

Someone on here mentioned The Handler, in particular, and while that album is mostly trash (for me) that song is up there with their best.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #1471 on: November 10, 2022, 01:29:52 PM »
The first 4 albums are it for me than the album by album they slid into generic boring lazy mode real fast.  always babbling on about a non-de script power we must resist.

All to the tune of generic beats, Dubstep,  a diet Queen coating.  they so want to be the next Queen but.......never, lol

However those first 4 are still played regularly in my home.  they do hold up really well.

It is interesting tuning in though.  Because the elevator drops more with each album, lol.  it's astounding.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1472 on: November 10, 2022, 07:37:11 PM »
While the 3-album of OoS through Black Holes reigns supreme, I thought the next three were all damn good to varying degrees and very worthy.  The last two have seen the overall quality really dip.  Some damn good songs on Simulation Theory, but too many blah songs, and the new album, while having a few solid tunes, is pretty forgettable overall.  Oh well, they had a great run.

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #1473 on: November 12, 2022, 01:28:48 AM »
They've been very patchy for a good 4/5 albums now.

Looking forward to seeing them next summer, though. Fantastic live band.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1474 on: January 13, 2023, 07:36:24 PM »
The Warning are opening for them at the next 4 dates in Mexico.

Massive fans
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk7zd93qIWc

Online ErHaO

« Reply #1475 on: March 31, 2023, 05:31:19 PM »
This guy, Andre Antunes, made other Muse inspired stuff before I think. Anyways, I think this is a banger of a non-Muse Muse song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVF3q5Y68-0

(lyrics by ai, about ai controlling the world)

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1476 on: November 01, 2023, 04:48:35 PM »
bump.

shameless plug. A fellow YouTuber named Death By Unicorn and I did a Tiermaker for Muse albums.

in revisiting their catalog, I can conclude Black Holes is my favorite record of theirs. For the longest time, I went with Absolution, but start the finish, Black Holes actually I think is a hair better and more consistent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS_HAYASfaM

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1477 on: November 02, 2023, 03:56:18 AM »

Absolution
Origins
Black Holes.
Resistance.
Simulation.
Showbiz.
Will of the People.
2nd Law.
Hullabaloo.
Drones.

I wrote this shortly after 'Will of the People'  was released.  Nothing has changed for me since.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1478 on: November 04, 2023, 06:46:45 AM »
I think Drones gets a bad rap; I think it is definitely a top 5 Muse record, and I think The 2nd Law is a very strong 4th best (after the obvious top 3 of Origin, Absolution and Black Holes). 

The last two records had their moments, but it seems clear that this band has peaked and on the slow descent. 

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1479 on: November 04, 2023, 08:00:40 AM »
Showbiz deserves more appreciation. The songs are concise, the performance is youthful, and though it might be  slightly naive, that's part of its charm.

Kudos to everyone who puts The 2nd law near the top, by the way.  :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1480 on: November 04, 2023, 08:29:23 AM »
The first half of Showbiz is great, but it falls apart in the back half. 

Offline NoFred

« Reply #1481 on: November 04, 2023, 10:32:17 AM »
I think Drones gets a bad rap; I think it is definitely a top 5 Muse record, and I think The 2nd Law is a very strong 4th best (after the obvious top 3 of Origin, Absolution and Black Holes). 

The last two records had their moments, but it seems clear that this band has peaked and on the slow descent.

Agreed, though their live show for the last two have been A+, both among the best arena concerts I’ve been to.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1482 on: November 04, 2023, 11:28:01 AM »

Agreed, though their live show for the last two have been A+, both among the best arena concerts I’ve been to.

Yep, I knew a few people who saw this year's show earlier this year, and they all said it was awesome.  No surprise to me, since Muse has slayed all three times I have seen them.  I am kicking myself a little for not going this year, but I wasn't feeling it when the date rolled around back in March, so I opted to not go.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1483 on: November 04, 2023, 02:31:14 PM »
I have a very clear top three of:

1. Absolution
2. Origin of Symmetry
3. The 2nd Law

But honestly, beyond that I can't really rank Black Holes, Drones, Resistance, Simulation Theory and Will of the People. None of them is that special but I really like them all.

Showbiz for sure is the weakest but not by a lot, but it still has some great stuff (especially in the first half like Kev says).

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1484 on: November 04, 2023, 05:58:46 PM »
I put Drones last because it's just pure bombast, there is barely any nuance, melody or anything interesting going on musically.  Pretty much every song is obnoxiously loud with some terrible lyrics (not that lyrics have ever been Muse strong point, but on Drones some of the lines are embarrassing).

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1485 on: November 05, 2023, 07:09:13 AM »
I have said this before at some point, but in my opinion, Muse should really dial back on that whole "we have to stand together as one and fight for our right [cue in big shouting choir]"-thing in my opinion. These are highly successful and wealthy people and this "we are all the same and we are all collectively fucked"-attitude is just not authentic to me.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1486 on: November 05, 2023, 08:24:16 AM »
I put Drones last because it's just pure bombast, there is barely any nuance, melody or anything interesting going on musically.  Pretty much every song is obnoxiously loud with some terrible lyrics (not that lyrics have ever been Muse strong point, but on Drones some of the lines are embarrassing).

I dislike Psycho because of how stupid and cliched the lyrics are, but the rest doesn't bother me.  Not great lyrics by any stretch, but Muse has never been a band where I expect good lyrics.  As long as they aren't terrible, I can deal with it.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1487 on: February 18, 2024, 10:04:42 AM »
My introduction to Muse was Never Enough by Dream Theater :neverusethis:

Madness has been in the current lineup of whatever station my store has on now. The music is never really that loud, but I can always make out the climax of the song, and guessed correctly it was Muse, although I still used Shazam to verify. Anyway, I've taken a great liking to the song so much that I bought The 2nd Law. The whole album is great, and while I didn't have an issue with the track order, I made a playlist on my phone of the revised one above. I put both instrumentals back at the bottom for now, because I'd have to cut some of the end off Isolated System so it flows better into Supremacy. Too much dead air in-between. But yeah, the revised order flows just fine as if that's the way it always was.

I've been putting Muse off for years based on Never Enough. I've only listened to 2nd Law, BHAR, and Absolution, but there really isn't a whole lot of the annoying gasping intake that James does on Never Enough. I only have one earbud in and at a lower volume at work, but maybe it's on an album I haven't heard yet. From what I heard though, they're a great band. I'm super late to the party, but I'm glad I finally gave them a chance.

I've never been a big fan of Queen, but their influence along with U2's on 2nd Law works well, unlike Prophets of War.

Muse gets a :tup in my book.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1488 on: February 18, 2024, 12:08:28 PM »
I've also returned to some Muse albums recently, this week I listened to Showbiz and Absolution. The last couple of albums made me put them on a shelf for quite a while, but it's nice to return to some older records and remind yourself how great they once were. The 2nd law truly was something else.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1489 on: February 20, 2024, 09:36:00 AM »
The Resistance is interesting...

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1490 on: February 20, 2024, 09:41:29 AM »
That's an underrated one, top five material. Aside from Guiding light and the opener, nothing to throw away there. I hope you like it.  :tup

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1491 on: February 20, 2024, 10:38:42 AM »
That's an underrated one, top five material. Aside from Guiding light and the opener, nothing to throw away there. I hope you like it.  :tup

Why does the intro piano melody sound so familiar? I can't find anything regarding it online, but when I first heard it I thought it was a cover song.

I think Uprising gets played at work too. When it started, I immediately recognized it.