Author Topic: 2011-10-17 - Warner Theatre - Washington, DC  (Read 12891 times)

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
Re: 2011-10-17 - Warner Theatre - Washington, DC
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2011, 03:31:20 PM »
I'll be there in the upper balcony in an Iced Earth Crucible of Man tour t-shirt. Right excited it's finally here  :metal
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2011, 05:45:17 PM »
Down in front with the badge and Redemption shirt.  I also got an official Dream Theater sharpie compliments of John Myung.  Pictures to follow after show.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2011, 05:52:04 PM »
:lol  Nice.  Don't know if you saw or used any of the questions I posted in the meet & greet thread, but if you did, let us know what was said.  Oh, and prepare to have face melted.  :metal
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Jaq

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2011, 10:10:12 PM »
Just got back to my room, so this is gonna be the short and sweet version and others can give the blow by blow stuff later, but the tl;dr version: I got to hear Breaking All Illusions live. And all is well with the world. Epic concert at a CLASSY as hell venue, and Mike Mangini is a beast live. Great show, now I'm going to bed.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline kefka

« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2011, 10:10:27 PM »
just got home. UNREAL.

we got the WFS/FFH/CIAW/PMU variation on the setlist.

brain scrambled, but quick thoughts:

mike mangini is the greatest drummer alive today.

james forgot the lyrics to the 2nd verse of OTBOA and the band just laughed their way through it.

james hasn't sounded this good in like a decade.

the whole band seemed to genuinely enjoy playing together the whole time. lots of laughs and goofing off.

the band went into the solos part of breaking all illusions a little fast. jordan's pan flute tone and then the clean piano solo were just ridiculous. (he, of course, nailed them both, despite the extra 4-8bpm lol).

edit: oh, and a big middle finger to the two dudes in front of me who talked LOUDLY through mangini's drum solo. really disrespectful.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2011, 10:20:33 PM »
Yeah I liked how they handled James forgetting the lyrics to OTBOA, kind of like "oh well," and they rolled with it.  :lol

This is the third time I've seen DT but only the first where it's been a full two hour plus concert (PN 2008 and opening for Maiden were the other two) and it was easily the best show of the three as a result. They haven't missed a beat live with Mangini, and like every one says, he just has so much energy and JOY as the drummer for Dream Theater and it's infectious. And my god that drum solo.  :metal

I was totally blown away by Dream Theater tonight. And hey I'll give props to Trivium; they knew their job was to warm the crowd up for DT and they went out there and did that. Might check out their latest as a result.

Offline ibosmiley

« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2011, 10:43:10 PM »
edit: oh, and a big middle finger to the two dudes in front of me who talked LOUDLY through mangini's drum solo. really disrespectful.

Wonder if those were the same two guys sitting behind me that talked loudly through Far from Heaven.  The one guy whined loudly about them playing Far from Heaven and went on about how they should have did Another Day or something like that.  And then these two assholes had a loud conversation through the whole song.  What the hell... that was some kind of fuckery...

But yeah, the show was amazing... probably one of the best DT shows I've ever seen.  I haven't seen them this lively and animated since the Falling into Infinity tour.  They were having fun on stage... James really owned the front man role too.  Plus his vocals were spot on... amazing.  Mangini's drumming is awesome... you need to see his solo in person for it to really do justice.  All in all, pure awesomeness.
"Are you listening to the words I say.  In the meadows my thoughts dance and play.  I know now I'm the only one.  Who can convince the rising sun"

Offline Bowlochili

« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2011, 10:54:11 PM »
Great show. Mangini is the man. I was sitting there watching him do a roll on the snare, he calmly goes to brush the hair out of his face and he is holding the roll on the one hand (he sped it up when he moved his hair). I have seen him do it on videos but to see it right there. HOLY CRAP!

The band was very tight and were joking around on stage the entire time even when JLB fudged the lyrics. I admit I was like WTF just happened?

on a side note, did anyone happen to notice the red suspenders, red hat and the white gloves on the left side corner of the drum riser? I know the unicyclist on the cover is wearing it, but with DT there is always a reason.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2011, 10:56:58 PM »
Great show.  Might be as good as the Worcester show last year, minus the 150 degree heat.

The only problem with the show was the event staff, they were freaking terrible.  They were on people like hawks using cameras or even their cell phones - I got a flashlight on me for using my phone to keep track of the setlist and others around me got similar treatment - but they did NOTHING about people flooding the isles and coming up to the stage.  Not to sound like an asshole, but those of us in the front paid damn good money for our seats, only for it to be treated like general admission.  To make matters worse, they threw out a guy I met in line because he got upset when he asked the usher to do his job and get the people back.  He had a front row seat yet there was a row or two of people in front of him.  I don't blame DT for that as they are employees of the theater, and other than that its a great venue, just a heads up for anyone who goes there again.

I'll post more later, I'm at a friends house and I'll be driving back home tomorrow.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 11:08:20 PM by DTVT »

Offline kefka

« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2011, 11:02:26 PM »

Wonder if those were the same two guys sitting behind me that talked loudly through Far from Heaven.  The one guy whined loudly about them playing Far from Heaven and went on about how they should have did Another Day or something like that.  And then these two assholes had a loud conversation through the whole song.  What the hell... that was some kind of fuckery...

you were two rows in front of me, those were the very same guys. oh and for the encore, the one on the left screamed "i hate this song!" at least looking at them, i know they shall never know the touch of a woman.

and DTVT yeah, the event staff were super strict about taking pictures. i know they're only doing their jobs, but it was kinda lame. i only got pics of the stage as it was being set up and of them taking a bow.

i will say to the venue's credit that it's a gorgeous place, the mens' bathrooms were clean (try that at nissan pavilion sometime) and both bands sounded fantastic. the mix was good, it wasn't too loud, no cracking or anything from the speakers.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 11:09:45 PM by kefka »

Offline Jaq

« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2011, 11:08:34 PM »
The venue staff were the only blight on the whole night. There was a hilarious moment when the doors opened, but before they let you into your seats, where two guys with tickets to the upper balcony went up to a woman that worked for the staff and asked how to get to their seats. Woman pointed them to a stair well and said "You can go up there right now."

They headed for the stair well-where another woman cut them off and sent them away. Our intrepid heroes went back to the first staffer who repeated that they needed to go to the stairs and they could go right up right now. The other staffer sends them back.

This happened ANOTHER time before finally the staffer who was telling them it was okay to go up says "Oh, no, you can't go up yet, they haven't started letting people in."

THE FUNNY PART: both staffers were standing fifteen feet apart.  :rollin

Otherwise, yeah, a couple of times I got my phone out to see what time it was and had someone rush at me, eager to stop me from taking pictures. Chill out, guys.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2011, 11:15:55 PM »
I also loved how they crammed us in like sardines from 7 until 7:30.  Time to start using the Sun Cannon on fucking people.  I expect donations from those of you that were there.  Thankfully DT was freaking awesome.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2011, 11:19:29 PM »
Does the Warner Theater get a lot of rock concerts? Because this staff didn't seem to act like they knew how to handle a rock concert. And I've never been to a show where they let you into the building but keep you out of the seats like that. Fucking bizarre. Bring on the Sun Cannon.

(edit) And the Sun Cannon line gets sigged. :D
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 11:26:52 PM by Jaq »

Offline kefka

« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2011, 11:27:59 PM »
Does the Warner Theater get a lot of rock concerts? Because this staff didn't seem to act like they knew how to handle a rock concert. And I've never been to a show where they let you into the building but keep you out of the seats like that. Fucking bizarre. Bring on the Sun Cannon.

no, they're very rare. last time i saw a rock show there was better than ezra in 2002. the venue tends to be used for touring broadway productions and stand-up comedians who are too big for the improv. musical performances tend to be a bit more world music, new age, etc.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2011, 04:15:30 AM »
I got a flashlight on me for using my phone to keep track of the setlist

So it was setlist B I presume?

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2011, 04:27:56 AM »
Well technically setlist D. It's listed in the stickied thread.

Offline phentalmyst

« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2011, 07:19:21 AM »
did anyone else notice the INSANELY hot blonde in the front row, right in front of JP??

OMMMMMMMMMMMMMMG!!!

Offline Bowlochili

« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2011, 08:25:14 AM »
did anyone else notice the INSANELY hot blonde in the front row, right in front of JP??

OMMMMMMMMMMMMMMG!!!

I did even from the balcony. LOL

Offline Slain

« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2011, 10:31:56 AM »
That was a blast. The intro with Dream is Collapsing was awesome, I loved the animation they had to go along with it. I was so glad that they played both Breaking All Illusions and Outcry as well. The band really seems re-energized with Mangini- who completely kicked ass, by the way.  :hefdaddy

I didn't understand the no videotaping or no taking pictures thing, though. Was it just the venue? One of the members of the staff told me that the bands didn't want it. Of course, I took some video and a few pictures anyway, but towards the end the security was tighter and they started taking people out for it so I stopped.
Quote from: MarlaHooch
Just amazing.  DT should count their lucky stars that some of their fans are at this level of unconditional cult worship.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2011, 01:38:25 PM »
I didn't understand the no videotaping or no taking pictures thing, though. Was it just the venue? One of the members of the staff told me that the bands didn't want it. Of course, I took some video and a few pictures anyway, but towards the end the security was tighter and they started taking people out for it so I stopped.
It definitely wasn't the venue.  Morristown, NJ was the same way.  They made an announcement over the PA system between bands explicitly saying "No Camera or Cell Phone Pictures or Videos".  Of course, then, security made 15-20 trips to tell the same 3 guys to put their cameras/ cell phones away.

Offline theliloutkast

« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2011, 03:20:19 PM »
I was on the left side of the theatre (right if you looked back from the stage), about 15 rows back, I was in a SFAM Dream Theater shirt and my dad was wearing a black hat and a BCSL shirt. I was two rows behind a drunk guy dancing the whole Trivium set.

you were two rows in front of me, those were the very same guys. oh and for the encore, the one on the left screamed "i hate this song!" at least looking at them, i know they shall never know the touch of a woman.

I was right around you guys I think, unless there were another two assholes over near me talking during the Drum Solo and Far from Heaven lol

Offline Jaq

« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2011, 05:10:44 PM »

OMMMMMMMMMMMMMMG!!!

I did even from the balcony. LOL

Same here.  :lol

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2011, 09:10:57 PM »
It definitely wasn't the venue.  Morristown, NJ was the same way.  They made an announcement over the PA system between bands explicitly saying "No Camera or Cell Phone Pictures or Videos".  Of course, then, security made 15-20 trips to tell the same 3 guys to put their cameras/ cell phones away.

No, that's the venue's call.  The email we get with the VIP information says, "Non-professional cameras (no detachable lens, fits in your pocket/purse) are ok. Please check directly with the venue for their camera policy. No cameras allowed during the meet & greet."

Therefore, it's the venue's call.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2011, 09:16:36 PM »

No, that's the venue's call.  The email we get with the VIP information says, "Non-professional cameras (no detachable lens, fits in your pocket/purse) are ok. Please check directly with the venue for their camera policy. No cameras allowed during the meet & greet."

Therefore, it's the venue's call.
This. The venue in Chicago didn't give a shit about pictures or video and people took advantage of said situation.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2011, 02:49:46 AM »
Same with Nokia in Los Angeles, they were indifferent to it.  Heck, there was so much footage taken, someone edited all the different cameras into the Breaking All Illusions video.

Offline Gemuetlich

« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2011, 07:38:15 AM »
In my opinion, it was the band. I went to Phillie and Jersey and it was the same voice that announced it.

Question?  Does anybody know who were those guys up front on the left? They looked like they were of some band, and the tallest long hair blonde guy waived to Petrucci early into the show.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2011, 11:06:58 AM »
The dudes who looked like Dethklok?  They are in a band called Korrupt.  They were actually really cool dudes.

That blonde was even hotter up close at the m&g :)

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2011, 11:24:51 AM »
In my opinion, it was the band. I went to Phillie and Jersey and it was the same voice that announced it.

Question?  Does anybody know who were those guys up front on the left? They looked like they were of some band, and the tallest long hair blonde guy waived to Petrucci early into the show.
Going by the facts, it can't be the band. Otherwise every venue would have gotten the same treatment. At least 5 venues didn't care about the video or picture taking.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 05:25:26 PM by ResultsMayVary »
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline ibosmiley

« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2011, 02:28:19 PM »
I was on the left side of the theatre (right if you looked back from the stage), about 15 rows back, I was in a SFAM Dream Theater shirt and my dad was wearing a black hat and a BCSL shirt. I was two rows behind a drunk guy dancing the whole Trivium set.

I was right around you guys I think, unless there were another two assholes over near me talking during the Drum Solo and Far from Heaven lol

So there were three of us annoyed by them.  Three vs. two annoying whiners.  We so could have taken them...
"Are you listening to the words I say.  In the meadows my thoughts dance and play.  I know now I'm the only one.  Who can convince the rising sun"