Author Topic: Any methods to deal with/avoid sleep paralysis?  (Read 5288 times)

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Any methods to deal with/avoid sleep paralysis?
« on: August 07, 2011, 11:43:29 AM »
Lately I've been having absolutely horrifying sleep paralysis, pretty much every night or every other night for the last two weeks or so. All kinds of really bizarre dreams/nightmares/hallucinations, I'll shake myself awake and get up only to wake up again in bed and realize it was still a dream (this can happen several times in a row before I actually wake up), and just a general feeling of absolute terror, even when I'm just dreaming of a seagull (this happened last night).

Maybe worst of all is this consistent feeling that I'm about to throw up, but I still can't move. Like, I can hear myself gurgling and taste bile coming up, and finally I'll force it down and get myself awake, and the taste and nausea immediately disappears.

So, any experiences/advice/etc?
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Any methods to deal with/avoid sleep paralysis?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 11:51:28 AM »
I know this is DTF and we have priority over doctors and ER, but you might want to check with your doc about possible medication :lol

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 11:52:55 AM »
Try not to sleep on your back
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 11:55:20 AM »
The answer to all psychological problems - electroshock therapy.  I'll be over with a car battery and jumper cables.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 12:00:31 PM »
What are your sleeping habits like? Like, what do you do before bed, how do you lay down, what's your favorite planet, etc?

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 12:00:55 PM »
SLEEP IS WRONG

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 12:02:58 PM »
I've woke up paralyzed several dozen times in my life and it is pretty scary. I heard trying to breathe helps. Start slowly and the oxygen will begin to revive you and within a minute or two you'll be comfortably awake enough to not have to violently shake. I used to try the shake approach and had the same results as you if not worse so avoid that whenever you're alert enough to realize the mistake you're making. The breathing thing has worked very well for me and the only challenge is being alert enough to remember to do it. Good luck with this and I'm sorry to hear you've had to suffer from this as well.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 12:59:43 PM »
I suffer from this on a nightly basis, and I know Volk deals with it pretty hard as well. It doesn't really bother me anymore, I kind of just keep sleeping lol. One way I taught myself to get out of it quickly was focusing on my teeth. Trying to move my arms and legs was helpless and just prolonged the episode. I would just start grinding my back teeth, and eventually be able to open my mouth and then my eyes. Once eyes open, everything else comes back fairly quickly.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 01:50:44 PM »
I used to deal with this a lot, almost two or three times a week.  Once I quit drinking, it went down dramatically, having only happened once or twice in the last month.  Not saying you should take such drastic measures, but it is something to think about.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 02:50:47 PM »
I used to deal with this a lot, almost two or three times a week.  Once I quit drinking, it went down dramatically, having only happened once or twice in the last month.  Not saying you should take such drastic measures, but it is something to think about.

:lol Interesting. There doesn't seem to be much correlation as far as I can tell (like last night was terrible and I only had one beer), but I'll definitely keep it in mind.

I've woke up paralyzed several dozen times in my life and it is pretty scary. I heard trying to breathe helps. Start slowly and the oxygen will begin to revive you and within a minute or two you'll be comfortably awake enough to not have to violently shake. I used to try the shake approach and had the same results as you if not worse so avoid that whenever you're alert enough to realize the mistake you're making. The breathing thing has worked very well for me and the only challenge is being alert enough to remember to do it. Good luck with this and I'm sorry to hear you've had to suffer from this as well.

I suffer from this on a nightly basis, and I know Volk deals with it pretty hard as well. It doesn't really bother me anymore, I kind of just keep sleeping lol. One way I taught myself to get out of it quickly was focusing on my teeth. Trying to move my arms and legs was helpless and just prolonged the episode. I would just start grinding my back teeth, and eventually be able to open my mouth and then my eyes. Once eyes open, everything else comes back fairly quickly.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try to remember it if/when it happens again.

I know this is DTF and we have priority over doctors and ER, but you might want to check with your doc about possible medication :lol

rumborak

:lol Yeah, that's definitely the plan if it continues like this for too much longer.

Offline NecessaryPain

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 02:57:27 PM »
Try smoking a spliff before bed, it works with me.

Have you been dragged, btw?
Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 02:59:16 PM »
Try smoking a spliff before bed, it works with me.

Eh, no thanks.

Have you been dragged, btw?

wat

Offline NecessaryPain

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 03:04:29 PM »
Dragged, as in pulled from one side of your bed to the other. Very scary experience, seeing as how you are locked in a stasis and cannot move any part of your body other than your eyes.

Cannabis can help you sleep if you are having serious problems. Just a suggestion.
Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 03:04:45 PM »
One word: THERAPY!

A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 03:05:49 PM »
I've suffered from occasional sleep paralysis.  Nothing too horrible, but it does happen about once a every month or two and it really sucks.  I don't really have any advice of my own, since it's not frequent enough for me to consider addressing, but if you're having it nearly daily that is definitely not normal and it would be best to follow Rumby's advice and see a doctor if it doesn't calm down very soon. 

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2011, 04:53:51 PM »
I had no idea this was such a common occurance. I've never experienced it personally, but it sounds pretty messed up. Maybe try having someone in bed with you to wake you up :biggrin:

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2011, 04:59:52 PM »
I had no idea this was such a common occurance. I've never experienced it personally, but it sounds pretty messed up. Maybe try having someone in bed with you to wake you up :biggrin:

The problem is you are awake. Your body has a defense mechanism that paralyzed your muscles to prevent you acting out your dreams and injuring yourself. Your mind awakens before your muscles receive the message to do so. When it happens to me I am well aware of everything around me I can hear things, feel hot or cold, etc....

Offline Ħ

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2011, 05:04:44 PM »
Quote from: Wikipedia
Some reports read that various factors increase the likelihood of both paralysis and hallucinations. These include:

Sleeping in a face upwards or supine position
Increased fatigue
Sudden environmental/lifestyle changes
A lucid dream that immediately precedes the episode.
Excessive consumption of alcohol coupled with lack of adequate sleep.
Sounds like you do some of these.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2011, 05:27:15 PM »
Quote from: Wikipedia
Some reports read that various factors increase the likelihood of both paralysis and hallucinations. These include:

Sleeping in a face upwards or supine position
Increased fatigue
Sudden environmental/lifestyle changes
A lucid dream that immediately precedes the episode.
Excessive consumption of alcohol coupled with lack of adequate sleep.
Sounds like you do some of these.

I sleep face down.
I'm not fatigued
My environment hasn't changed in years (I've suffered from this since I was 7)
My dreams are always lucid, doesn't matter what stage of sleep I'm in.
I have been drunk once since May.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2011, 05:55:57 PM »
Yeah, I sleep on my side, have never had a lucid dream, and the vast majority of times it's happened in the last two weeks I haven't been drunk. I guess you could say moving back to the states it a sudden environmental change, but that was well over a month before they really started.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2011, 12:44:46 AM »
After sneaking into Ian's flat while he was asleep, I can tell you for certain that he sleeps on his side.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2011, 12:55:55 AM »
I have a question. I don't think I've ever experienced sleep paralysis. But I do on occasion experience something similar. I'll wake up and I can't move any of my limbs.  Both of my arms and legs will feel "asleep" in that bizarre tingly way, and I can't move them. This doesn't happen often, but when it does, I just lay there for a few minutes and after a while, I regain control of them.

The reason I don't think this is sleep paralysis is because I don't experience the hallucincations or the feeling of terror that so many people report. To be honest, it just kind of pisses me off. It's annoying, but it doesn't scare me in the slightest. Also, I can move my head, mouth, and eyes, just not my limbs.

Is this a less-serious form of sleep paralysis, or something else entirely?
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2011, 01:03:00 AM »
A similar thing happens to me sometimes, though it also includes hallucinating that I'm suffocating, which is rather scary.

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2011, 01:15:12 AM »
I have a question. I don't think I've ever experienced sleep paralysis. But I do on occasion experience something similar. I'll wake up and I can't move any of my limbs.  Both of my arms and legs will feel "asleep" in that bizarre tingly way, and I can't move them. This doesn't happen often, but when it does, I just lay there for a few minutes and after a while, I regain control of them.

The reason I don't think this is sleep paralysis is because I don't experience the hallucincations or the feeling of terror that so many people report. To be honest, it just kind of pisses me off. It's annoying, but it doesn't scare me in the slightest. Also, I can move my head, mouth, and eyes, just not my limbs.

Is this a less-serious form of sleep paralysis, or something else entirely?

I've had exactly that, but I can't control my breathing. It's like i'm breathing at a very slow predetermined pace that I have no control over, so I start freaking out and panic because I feel like there's not enough air or something. Usually goes away after about 45 seconds, but the feeling of suffocation is terrifying.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2011, 02:55:32 AM »
Usually when I get this I feel I'm awake trying to open my door and when I do try to run to the bathroom making as much noise as I can. Its a scary feeling, almost like your dead.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2011, 04:26:20 AM »
Make sure you keep a regular sleep schedule.
Listen! Do you smell something?

• DT.net Member
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2011, 09:40:34 AM »
A similar thing happens to me sometimes, though it also includes hallucinating that I'm suffocating, which is rather scary.

Happens to me too but I was afraid to mention it because I didn't wanna make any other SP sufferers in this thread have that thought pop into their mind the during their next bout of it and make it worse for them lol.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
  • I have officialy been ravenhearted. Thanks Zydar!
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2011, 09:49:05 AM »
Aargh have these regularly too. About thrice a week I fall asleep only to "wake up" in a dream where I can't move my body.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2011, 10:54:32 AM »
I've only experienced it a few times (hallucinated a dude on top of me about to rape me once, that was fun) so I don't really have any advice but it does suck, sorry you have to deal with it so much!
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

• DT.net Member
Self-filtering: coming to black_floyd's posting style soon!
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2011, 11:07:29 AM »
I've only experienced it a few times (hallucinated a dude on top of me about to rape me once, that was fun) so I don't really have any advice but it does suck, sorry you have to deal with it so much!

:omg: Your body said "no" but your eyes were telling me "yes."

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
Re: Self-filtering: coming to black_floyd's posting style soon!
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2011, 07:53:03 PM »

THAT WAS YOU YOU BASTARD?!
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

• DT.net Member
Re: Self-filtering: coming to black_floyd's posting style soon!
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2011, 01:43:06 AM »

THAT WAS YOU YOU BASTARD?!

We were both stiff so I said "what the fuck"