Author Topic: MIKE PORTNOY: It's 'Painful' For Me To Hear New DREAM THEATER Music - Aug. 6,  (Read 14681 times)

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
I would have liked an honest opinion of the songs.

"What do you think of the new DT"

"Eh it wasn't bad. There were some things I would have changed, but I enjoyed it"

Something like that.

Offline gabeh1018

even though he made the decision and thought the grass was greener on the other side, i still feel bad for him now. we all know he regrets his decision and probably loves otBoA's! it's painful and in due time U hope he can move forward.

Offline Miyazaki74

I think people are extremely critical of Portnoy.
This. Get over it. What's the point of saying for the 150th time that he is being immature?

Move on.

Yea it just seems now so many of you in here are just nit picking on anything he says, so you can have an excuse to pour some more hate towards MP. Chill out it's not like he's verbally attacking DT fans. His beef is with DT or certain members of DT. Why give a shit? Personally I like the fact that he speaks his mind, it keeps things interesting. The same goes for DT as well, if James or anyone else wants to speak their mind towards Mike, I wouldn't give a shit. I got the popcorn ready.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
He didn't leave to join A7X, you'd be naive to believe this.
Once he left DT, he planned to stay with A7X longer than they wanted him. His point still stands regardless.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Miyazaki74

You wanted a "hall pass". When your proposal was rejected, you abandoned you "wife" and FAMILY for an adventure with a younger lover who kicked you out in a second. YOUR MISTAKE. Grow up and live with it. Stop whining and bitching around with this melodrama bullshit anymore. You are a hell of a drummer: let's see if you can really create great music or you're just a cover artist.
You are so wrong. Mike wanted a break because things became stale. He was right. Remember how people here thought that BC&SL and SC were similar in terms of song structure? Dream Theater needed a break, maybe not 5 years, but at least a year. And a lot of people here thought the same.

Seriously dude, your comment is ridiculous. He created good music for 25 years with DT and his multiples side-projects.  :facepalm:

Well he never said that DT's music was getting stale, he just said he was burned out in being in the band and wanted a break. I agree with the rest of what you said.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain

I don't buy this anymore.  In that recent interview the two bandmembers said he was definitely thinking of joining, and in an interview in like November he said something about baby steps when he was asked about joining.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
You wanted a "hall pass". When your proposal was rejected, you abandoned you "wife" and FAMILY for an adventure with a younger lover who kicked you out in a second. YOUR MISTAKE. Grow up and live with it. Stop whining and bitching around with this melodrama bullshit anymore. You are a hell of a drummer: let's see if you can really create great music or you're just a cover artist.
You are so wrong. Mike wanted a break because things became stale. He was right. Remember how people here thought that BC&SL and SC were similar in terms of song structure? Dream Theater needed a break, maybe not 5 years, but at least a year. And a lot of people here thought the same.

Seriously dude, your comment is ridiculous. He created good music for 25 years with DT and his multiples side-projects.  :facepalm:

Sure, "dude", DT needed a break. I agree.  FROM MP.

You think I'm naive? My comment is ridiculous? Time will tell.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni

I don't buy this anymore.  In that recent interview the two bandmembers said he was definitely thinking of joining, and in an interview in like November he said something about baby steps when he was asked about joining.
He left because he wasn't happy with DT anymore because he thought things were getting stale.

Then he thought he could join A7X. But I still believe this is not the reason why he left DT.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline rush-signals

• Was into DT before you!

You hit the nail on the head. If he is such a standup I would he would say something like "The new DT sounds great and I wish them the nhe best, but I've moved on".
Thanks,
Dave

Offline Miyazaki74

Once he left DT, he planned to stay with A7X longer than they wanted him. His point still stands regardless.

It doesn't mean he wanted to quit DT and join A7X full time. He was having fun with those guys and wanted to keep playing with them. I think once the band decided to let him go, he thought to himself that a DT without MP was probably not such a good idea. To bad for him it was just to late and DT moved on.

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni

Well he never said that DT's music was getting stale, he just said he was burned out in being in the band and wanted a break. I agree with the rest of what you said.
Well he was tired of the write/record/tour cycle that was going on, and you could hear it in the music because there was almost no difference in terms of song strucutures in SC and BCSL. I remember that a lot of people here were concerned about this issue, and that's why I think DT needed a break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Loa6yoOll7w&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

Offline Miyazaki74

You hit the nail on the head. If he is such a standup I would he would say something like "The new DT sounds great and I wish them the nhe best, but I've moved on".

You mean give a fake politically correct answer? That's not him.

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni

Sure, "dude", DT needed a break. I agree.  FROM MP.

You think I'm naive? My comment is ridiculous? Time will tell.

Time will tell what? He's been in plenty of bands, created A LOT of awesome music. He has nothing to prove.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
I love how MP is acting like a total asshole about this and people are still trying to say he's approaching all of his passively-aggressively insulting comments toward DT with anything but negative intentions.
Over and over again

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés

You mean give a fake politically correct answer? That's not him.

Well, that's diplomacy.

Offline TL

Well he was tired of the write/record/tour cycle that was going on, and you could hear it in the music because there was almost no difference in terms of song strucutures in SC and BCSL. I remember that a lot of people here were concerned about this issue, and that's why I think DT needed a break.

DT didn't need a break though, if OTBoA is anything to go on. They needed a change, which ended up being MP's departure. The guy played an important role in the band, no question, but as has come to light in the past few months, he was being a bit controlling over the writing process, and was taking the band in a direction that didn't really suit them.

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni
I love how MP is acting like a total asshole about this and people are still trying to say he's approaching all of his passively-aggressively insulting comments toward DT with anything but negative intentions.
I never said that.

It seems like it's the new trend to bash on MP and that pisses me off.

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni

DT didn't need a break though, if OTBoA is anything to go on. They needed a change, which ended up being MP's departure. The guy played an important role in the band, no question, but as has come to light in the past few months, he was being a bit controlling over the writing process, and was taking the band in a direction that didn't really suit them.
Well you're right. They needed a change. Wether it was a break or a member departure.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
I never said that.

I don't think everything being said about him is being fair, but people who used to be huge fans of his seeing a public figure they really felt an appreciation for acting like a 19 year old is annoying.  MP doesn't know what to do?  He can act like a man and either say he feels like DT is bad and deserves to fail or say that his feelings toward the situation are unreasonable and causing him to see this irrationally.  It's one or the other.  Otherwise don't say in your official statement that you're proud of all the music you wrote, then tell someone on your forum who said your music was getting stale that you agreed with his post.

I feel like every moment I spend liking the band with MP in it is somehow tainted.  I wrote my review of BCSL when it came out and complimented his work as a producer because the song structures overall were more interesting than SC.  Now I'm wondering in how many ways he was ruining the album and pissing off his band mates at the time.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 10:03:17 PM by ReaPsTA »
Over and over again

Offline TL

Well you're right. They needed a change. Wether it was a break or a member departure.
They're at a point in their career right now though where they really can't afford to take a break. They have momentum coming off the last few albums, and taking a break could really have cost them a lot of that.

Offline MetropolisxPt1

This thread has proved to me whether or not he says anything bad haters are still gonna hate.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
This thread has proved to me whether or not he says anything bad haters are still gonna hate.

What is that supposed to even mean? Every time he says something, there is this hint of anger or some other emotion that he hasn't dealt with or is still dealing with (in this case, still using the dang wife analogy like he isn't to blame). I understand it's hard, but like someone said, he is in his 40's, not 19...you gotta man up and move on. It seems like he can't move on in those subtle ways.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
I never said that.

It's not so much a trend as it's a collective reaction to how MP is acting or portraying his thoughts.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I really wish he would just finally come out and say, "Yeah, I made a huge mistake." I'd gain back much more respect for the man that way.

I think he realizes that.  He wouldn't have tried to get back into the band so quickly otherwise.  He might not say the words, "I made a huge mistake," but I think, deep down, he knows it.  

Oh please.  That kind of "I won't say anything bad about my favorite musician no matter what" hero worship is for the birds.

Offline Miyazaki74

An asshole? Maybe. I think he just feels hurt in the way DT has treated him. When he wanted to rejoin the band, didn't he say he personally tried to call them but never once did they pick up the phone. To him I'm sure he felt very disrespected, and I don't blame him. Make no mistake, the band is as succesfull as they are because of him. Not saying the music is good because of him but they are where they are because of Mike's blood, sweat and tears he put into that band. Why do you think the band members have carried on with doing multiple interviews and updating of information on their music? Cause that's what Mike did. Mike gave them the blueprint on how to run the band and make it successfull. If they would have stopped and became a bunch of Neil Peart's, they would have gotten a shit storm from the fans. I think that might have been one of Mike's concerns for the band moving forward without him. So yeah when he hears James saying that their last drummer should have been more focused on groovin than trying to get attention or whatever he said, it's gonna piss him off. He's gotta be thinking, who the fuck does he think he is? Bottom line is he feels that DT is his baby, and the fact that the others members of DT wouldn't even pick up the phone to talk to him after all the hard work he's put into that band, he pretty much feels disrespected. Hence all the "so called" asshole behavior of his lately.

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
This thread and the Adrenaline mob thread are the reasons why i only really stay in Musicians and General discussions thread...

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
This thread and the Adrenaline mob thread are the reasons why i only really stay in Musicians and General discussions thread...

And your sponsor agree with that?

Offline MetropolisxPt1

What is that supposed to even mean? Every time he says something, there is this hint of anger or some other emotion that he hasn't dealt with or is still dealing with (in this case, still using the dang wife analogy like he isn't to blame). I understand it's hard, but like someone said, he is in his 40's, not 19...you gotta man up and move on. It seems like he can't move on in those subtle ways.
The only people who haven't moved on are the people on this forum who blow this out of proportion, your just nit picking.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT

The only people who haven't moved on are the people on this forum who blow this out of proportion, your just nit picking.
Mike Portnoy likes this.

Offline jayvee3

It probably was the best option at this stage to reserve 'no comment' for this interview, as the full album is still over a month away from being released. I do believe if he remains humble about the process, rather than vindictive, that it will hold him in far better stead. but at the end of the day, I agree with you guys - it was HIS decision to leave. The other guys who were every bit as much of defining the band as he is, basically just showed him that he is not bigger than the game (or the band in this case). You simply cant make a decision that essentially gives other people an ultimatum, then be upset when they decide that ultimatum is not the way they want to progress. You simply have to man up to the fact that it's your decision, and if that decision directly affects others, you have to be prepared if they want to go the opposite way..

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
An asshole? Maybe. I think he just feels hurt in the way DT has treated him. When he wanted to rejoin the band, didn't he say he personally tried to call them but never once did they pick up the phone. To him I'm sure he felt very disrespected, and I don't blame him. Make no mistake, the band is as succesfull as they are because of him. Not saying the music is good because of him but they are where they are because of Mike's blood, sweat and tears he put into that band. Why do you think the band members have carried on with doing multiple interviews and updating of information on their music? Cause that's what Mike did. Mike gave them the blueprint on how to run the band and make it successfull. If they would have stopped and became a bunch of Neil Peart's, they would have gotten a shit storm from the fans. I think that might have been one of Mike's concerns for the band moving forward without him. So yeah when he hears James saying that their last drummer should have been more focused on groovin than trying to get attention or whatever he said, it's gonna piss him off. He's gotta be thinking, who the fuck does he think he is? Bottom line is he feels that DT is his baby, and the fact that the others members of DT wouldn't even pick up the phone to talk to him after all the hard work he's put into that band, he pretty much feels disrespected. Hence all the "so called" asshole behavior of his lately.

All that sounds nice in isolation, but no where in there is the fact that he told the band they should take an indefinite hiatus so he could play with other bands while the other members, particularly Myung and LaBrie, struggled for paychecks.  When the other members said no, he chose to leave.  At no point did they ever tell him to do that.  

If you wanna say what the band's doing now is an imitation of what Portnoy did, I'd agree.  But the idea they'd never do anything in the media without him is a bit silly.  Rudess is clearly very, very interested in social media on his own, and Petrucci has always been active with making videos, solo albums, doing clinic appearances and interviews, and so on.  MP deserves credit for the official bootlegs, trying to bring extras to the products, encouraging bootlegging (admittedly a huge part of the band's success, and one Petrucci might not have approved of if he was calling the shots), and encouraging the open attitude.

Maybe the recent events are tainting my perspective, and that's fine.  But it's hard to be grateful when all MP can talk about is how under-appreciated he is and how we need to know that Dream Theater was HIS baby that he poured all HIS blood sweat and tears into.  So Petrucci, Rudess, LaBrie, and Myung are a bunch of shitheads who sat around twiddling their thumbs while MP made them successful?  Bullshit.  MP admitted he never practices on the drums anymore.  Rudess is investigating a whole new field of electronic instruments, LaBrie is working on enhancing his vocal techniques all the time, Petrucci practices an hour a day, and Myung actually warms down after shows.  But MP's the one who puts all the work into the band's success?  Fucking bullshit.

And yeah, JLB has every right to be pissy about it.  How's LaBrie supposed to feel when Portnoy's saying in the media that he wouldn't be the singer of DT if the position were auditioned today?

IF MP was really this amazing guy who would give everything he had to DT, why didn't he go into that band meeting and say he felt there were a lot of problems with the band's dynamics and that they needed to discuss them openly and reach some kind of resolution?  Because he would have rather played with Avenged Sevenfold.  And that's fine, but then why is he so devastated by the fact he left Dream Theater?
Over and over again

Offline MetropolisxPt1

^^^^ :chill bruh

I get that MP's been handling this thing a little bit... well, shall we say 'less than ideally'?  But I don't understand what about this specific comment rubs anyone the wrong way.
this im just puzzled the dark side runs through this forum's veins

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
^^^^ :chill bruh

So you concede my points, which means I am awesome.
Over and over again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
But why the hating? Portnoy always wore his heart on his sleeve when he was in DT. Why expect anything else now? If we don't like what he has to say, ignore him.

This.  I have said time and time again that comments such as JediKnight's and Reapsta's, for example, are out of bounds.  You all can read the forum rules.  If people continue to ignore them, bans are going to be handed out in short order.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."