Author Topic: MIKE PORTNOY: It's 'Painful' For Me To Hear New DREAM THEATER Music - Aug. 6,  (Read 14680 times)

Offline robwebster

Is it just me and am I looking at it too deeply, because I'm not fluent with english, but is there a difference between saying "Dream Theater without me" and "me without Dream Theater"?
Yeah, big difference. In the first one, Dream Theater is the subject.

If you said "Dream Theater without me is brilliant," you'd be saying that Dream Theater was brilliant. If you said "me without Dream Theater is brilliant," you'd be calling yourself brilliant.

By rearranging the words, you'd be changing what you were talking about.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
The way I see it, there are two bad extremes he should avoid.

1) What he's doing now (rambling/grumbling/etc)
2) Saying "no comment" to everything DT related (falling into the same way as Kevin)

He just needs to figure out how to balance the two.  I think he should just directly answer the questions he is posed, and refrain from adding anything unnecessary.
The first is like Dave Mustaine kicked out of Metallica.
The second isn't bad.. I respect Kevin a lot.

It would be weird for MP to become the new Kevin Moore though.
I think is already too late...

No more "Kevin Moore", "Exotic dancer Myung" or "Shut the hell up Aniland!" options in our polls.

It's MP now.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Knguro

You wanted a "hall pass". When your proposal was rejected, you abandoned you "wife" and FAMILY for an adventure with a younger lover who kicked you out in a second. YOUR MISTAKE. Grow up and live with it. Stop whining and bitching around with this melodrama bullshit anymore. You are a hell of a drummer: let's see if you can really create great music or you're just a cover artist.

Thiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssss :evilmonkey:

Thanks man!! You said it!!!! And yes the "no comment" statement has been the best phrasing ever said in the last year for MP.
...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...
And your English is just fine. :tup

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
If he had left that horrible wife analogy alone, this would've been a great statement. Glad he at least kept some things somewhat untouched.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
You wanted a "hall pass". When your proposal was rejected, you abandoned you "wife" and FAMILY for an adventure with a younger lover who kicked you out in a second. YOUR MISTAKE. Grow up and live with it. Stop whining and bitching around with this melodrama bullshit anymore. You are a hell of a drummer: let's see if you can really create great music or you're just a cover artist.

Thiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssss :evilmonkey:

Thanks man!! You said it!!!! And yes the "no comment" statement has been the best phrasing ever said in the last year for MP.

Thank you pal.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
I get that MP's been handling this thing a little bit... well, shall we say 'less than ideally'?  But I don't understand what about this specific comment rubs anyone the wrong way.
I just think the problem is that at first it was all about "like" this and that, and everyone's like, "Why doesn't MP just speak on the subject."
And now, when he finally DID speak of the subject, it's not an actual opinion.
It's like, "This is my comment: No comment." It's moot.
To say, "This is difficult for me because because because because" was a step in the right direction, but regardless of how people may interpret his honest opinion of DT's new music, I think people WANT to know what he honestly thinks. Even if it's short. Even if he says, "They sound great" or "That's not the direction I would have taken it". I think would be better than "No comment."
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline TL

2) Saying "no comment" to everything DT related (falling into the same way as Kevin)

He just needs to figure out how to balance the two.  I think he should just directly answer the questions he is posed, and refrain from adding anything unnecessary.
A key difference between KM and MP though is that KM never tried to play the victim. He decided to leave, and that was that. His reason for not talking about DT wasn't because it was a sore issue for him; it just wasn't something he had any interest in talking about.

Offline farsight

Is it just me and am I looking at it too deeply, because I'm not fluent with english, but is there a difference between saying "Dream Theater without me" and "me without Dream Theater"?
Yeah, big difference. In the first one, Dream Theater is the subject.

If you said "Dream Theater without me is brilliant," you'd be saying that Dream Theater was brilliant. If you said "me without Dream Theater is brilliant," you'd be calling yourself brilliant.

By rearranging the words, you'd be changing what you were talking about.
oh thanks, that was very clearly spoken  :)
In the context of "A Dream Theater without me was never in the plan", isn't MP speaking for everyone in the band instead of just himself? Nothing against MP though, I understand he is a former member, I just find that weird now that he is not in the band.

well, of all the things MP has done post DT, not commenting may be the smartest one.

Offline SeventhSon

One thing that strikes me about Mangini is how genuinely happy and honoured he is to be in the band. I mean, MP left the band because he was feeling unhappy and burnt out with Dream Theater. I recall him saying he tried to come back for the sake of the fans, which I can only imagine would have been disastrous. That wouldn't erase his feelings of dissatisfaction with the band, and obviously the band is doing just fine with MM.

Offline Ħ

A key difference between KM and MP though is that KM never tried to play the victim. He decided to leave, and that was that. His reason for not talking about DT wasn't because it was a sore issue for him; it just wasn't something he had any interest in talking about.
They both took it to extreme levels, though.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Vajra

I just got news from the mods...

DTF.org will officially be renamed to ProgGossip.org

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT

Who is "both"? KM and MP? Because you're dead wrong that KM ever took anything to extreme levels. If anything, he was very passive about things and broke away with giving his reasons why, and moved on.

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

Who is "both"? KM and MP? Because you're dead wrong that KM ever took anything to extreme levels. If anything, he was very passive about things and broke away with giving his reasons why, and moved on.

One could argue that KM "moved on" in a more extreme way than most people do. I mean, there aren't any other ex-DT members that usually refuse to discuss the band. Derek and Charlie were in the Score documentary, Lifting Shadows, WDADRU, etc. while Kevin just wouldn't have anything to do with it. Certainly not as much of a faux pas as Portnoy's recent gaffes, but probably a reaction that differs from the norm a fair bit in its own right.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
The comments were better than they had been but I think Mike is missing the point. My issue has always been the fact that he talks too much or too little. He always has to explain/justify everything when in reality he doesn't. He passive aggressively likes things on FB or promotes other bands albums, or even posts vague things about bands. On the flip side, like this, he started off well and then over shot the mark. "It's tough for me you know, so I'll just say no comment." But the fact that he pads it with THE FANS WILL DISSECT IT IF I SAY ANYTHING AND MY WIFE THAT I BUILT MY HOUSE ON IN CHEATING WITH THE FANS NEVER ENOUGH GUYZ. So it's just too much. The reason most fans dissect the stuff is because instead of getting a definite answer, its padded with propaganda and achy butt passive aggressive bullshit. Great admitting it's tough, that makes you more likable. +1. Taking credit for things and then playing victim makes you unlikable. - 2.

Offline Slain

Maybe it's just me, but I wish he would've just honestly said what he thought about the song. If he doesn't like it, so what. Either way, it's irritating to read the same sob story over and over again. It's always all about him, and not the rest of the band. It's like he doesn't even understand where they are coming from at all, he hasn't even pretended to care about their point of view. He sees them as the bad guys, and I know it.

I can't put words into his mouth, and none of us can do anything to make him speak differently, but I just wish that he could come out and admit that he regrets what he did, and that he was wrong. If he didn't regret it, he wouldn't talk about it being painful to hear new DT music.
Quote from: MarlaHooch
Just amazing.  DT should count their lucky stars that some of their fans are at this level of unconditional cult worship.

Offline Stoneyman

I find it funny how he consistently mentions that THEY have chosen to move on, totally ignoring the fact that HE made the decision to leave.

Sorta like him telling DT that he would shoot himself in the foot if they didnt do what he wanted.  They say no, so he shoots his foot.  Then he tells everyone that DT made the decision for him to shoot his own foot.  Silly.

The whole victim thing is old dude.

Offline j

Portnoy's warped view of the whole situation, the terrible ex-wife analogy, and my general lack of respect for him aside, I'm glad he declined to comment.  Finally made the smart call.

-J

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT

One could argue that KM "moved on" in a more extreme way than most people do. I mean, there aren't any other ex-DT members that usually refuse to discuss the band. Derek and Charlie were in the Score documentary, Lifting Shadows, WDADRU, etc. while Kevin just wouldn't have anything to do with it. Certainly not as much of a faux pas as Portnoy's recent gaffes, but probably a reaction that differs from the norm a fair bit in its own right.

If that's what is meant by extreme, I don't see it. He has moved on from Dt after stating his reasons. Can't read more into it than that. yeah, maybe it's different, but not extreme or that weird. MP is a whole other beast.

Offline wammabe

I for one can perfectly understand what Mike Portnoy is trying to do here. He intelligently analyzed the entire situation just after leaving the band.

You see, Portnoy saw that after Kevin Moore left the band, he didn't make any big fuss about it and kept it silent. However, now every single DT conversation leads to Kevin Moore and every Kevin Moore conversation leads to DT. So his theory is that not making a fuss will result in him being completely haunted by DT fans for the rest of his life.

Mike Portnoy's master plan is to make a big fuss over and over again till all the DT fans completely abandon him so he could start over completely. The fans will grow bored of talking about Portnoy, so there will be no more talking about him in DT conversations, and Portnoy's fans will have absolutely no DT fans, so he can start anew.

If my theory about Mike's master plan is correct, and if succeeds, we will not even know who Mike Portnoy is in a matter of months.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Right.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
Um, Mike's emotionally unstable and lacks self control by nature, hence he says things that end up being controversial, and it isn't helped that he's still recovering from leaving a band that meant a lot to him. 

There lies the reason why he has been acting weird since he left. 

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Yeah but does he have to do so publicly where we can all basically document what he does?

Offline wammabe

Um, Mike's emotionally unstable and lacks self control by nature, hence he says things that end up being controversial, and it isn't helped that he's still recovering from leaving a band that meant a lot to him. 

There lies the reason why he has been acting weird since he left. 

Jamesman is right, his emotional unstable-nes and lack of self control only helps his master plan succeed with greater results. You are blinded by his incredible trolling/acting skill, and that's what Portnoy wants.

Offline Loser1

I think people are extremely critical of Portnoy. Yea he got a little wacky for a little while. He compared leaving DT to a divorce, but never mentioned cheating. He simply compared it to watching your ex-wife get on with her life with a new man. Divorce tends to make you a little wacked for a while. Yea, the re-hashing of that comparison gets old. I get it. That shit can take years to "Get over." And I seriously doubt he sits around all day wallowing in his regret of how DT has moved on without him. He obviously has moments though, and I can understand it being painful to accept that part of his life being over.

But why the hating? Portnoy always wore his heart on his sleeve when he was in DT. Why expect anything else now? If we don't like what he has to say, ignore him. Personally, I love the work DT did with him on board. And I look forward to where DT goes without him. I guess I finally accepted what has happened with DT (which I initially fought and denied). So...DT and Portnoy are no more. Done...

Offline wammabe

I think people are extremely critical of Portnoy. Yea he got a little wacky for a little while. He compared leaving DT to a divorce, but never mentioned cheating. He simply compared it to watching your ex-wife get on with her life with a new man. Divorce tends to make you a little wacked for a while. Yea, the re-hashing of that comparison gets old. I get it. That shit can take years to "Get over." And I seriously doubt he sits around all day wallowing in his regret of how DT has moved on without him. He obviously has moments though, and I can understand it being painful to accept that part of his life being over.

But why the hating? Portnoy always wore his heart on his sleeve when he was in DT. Why expect anything else now? If we don't like what he has to say, ignore him. Personally, I love the work DT did with him on board. And I look forward to where DT goes without him. I guess I finally accepted what has happened with DT (which I initially fought and denied). So...DT and Portnoy are no more. Done...

Portnoy's plan is starting to work.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
I think people are extremely critical of Portnoy.
This. Get over it. What's the point of saying for the 150th time that he is being immature?

Move on.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline Ħ

He just needs to figure out how to balance the two.  I think he should just directly answer the questions he is posed, and refrain from adding anything unnecessary.

The fact that KM completely ignores anything related to DT.  The fact he didn't do an interview for Lifting Shadows is very offputting.  IIRC, he even hung up on Rich Wilson.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Loser1

Portnoy's plan is starting to work.

Oh my god Portnoy - that bastard fooled me into his master plan! How stupid of me ;-)

Really now, is there a Portnoy conspiracy now? Wow!

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)

A very good point.

Offline Pinga

I think people are extremely critical of Portnoy.
This. Get over it. What's the point of saying for the 150th time that he is being immature?

Move on.

He would make it a lot easier for us "critics" if he didn't comment on the situation for the 150th time.

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni
This has been discussed since he left the god damn band, and there's still a lot of people complaining about was he says. Every day I read negative comments about MP on the board and it is seriously pissing me off to see people complaining about his behaviour. Give the guy a god damn break.

What Loser1 said is 1000000% true.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

Offline DTFan0789

I really wish he would just finally come out and say, "Yeah, I made a huge mistake." I'd gain back much more respect for the man that way.
"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." - George Orwell, 1984

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés

A very good point.

Thank you pal.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)

A very good point.

Thank you pal.
No problem haha, I wish Mike could read it somehow :p

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni
You are so wrong. Mike wanted a break because things became stale. He was right. Remember how people here thought that BC&SL and SC were similar in terms of song structure? Dream Theater needed a break, maybe not 5 years, but at least a year. And a lot of people here thought the same.

Seriously dude, your comment is ridiculous. He created good music for 25 years with DT and his multiples side-projects.  :facepalm:

He didn't leave to join A7X, you'd be naive to believe this.