Author Topic: 2011-10-02 - Rosemont Theatre - Chicago, IL  (Read 30746 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: 2011-10-02 - Rosemont Theatre - Chicago, IL
« Reply #105 on: October 03, 2011, 03:33:10 PM »
At the end of the show JP actually got down on the stage and arm wrestled a fan!
Well, I didn't see any tragedies reported on the news, so I guess that by the grace of God everyone survived.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #106 on: October 03, 2011, 03:42:19 PM »
I did not see the arm-wrestling match.....must've been looking the other way.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #107 on: October 03, 2011, 04:19:01 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT_MVcWEUC8

The only video I could find on youtube, and the guy in the comment said that they weren't letting people take videos. Does anyone know why is that?

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #108 on: October 03, 2011, 04:30:37 PM »

The only video I could find on youtube, and the guy in the comment said that they weren't letting people take videos. Does anyone know why is that?
I managed to record 'Far From Heaven' on my phone and my friend next to me got the drum solo and Ytse Jam. We had no problems.

I was in Section 202 (Balcony) row A, first row. Really good view and the entire show sounded great. My only complaint was that I couldn't hear Myung clearly except for when Petrucci wasn't playing.

I managed to meet JR outside of the venue after the show, but my two friends and I had to leave right before James came out (he came out as we were leaving). One of my friends had to work at 8am (eastern) and we had a 7 hour drive back to Ohio.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #109 on: October 03, 2011, 05:02:40 PM »

5:17 was probably my favorite moment of the show.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #110 on: October 03, 2011, 06:15:55 PM »

It's just their policy.  Sometimes venues have special deals with photographers that give them exclusive rights.  In fact, most venues have a no photography policy, it's just that few enforce it.

I had my cell phone out and snapped a few pics of Trivium and was yelled at.  My cell phone is far from high quality so I found it odd they even cared. 

Offline MetalJens

« Reply #111 on: October 03, 2011, 10:19:26 PM »
I filmed Caught In a Web + parts of The Great Debate, didn't get any complaints... (will try to upload on youtube tomorrow..)

Offline gilpdawg

« Reply #112 on: October 04, 2011, 12:19:40 AM »
There are no bad seats.
Having just gotten back from the event, I can say with certainty that this was a lie.

Usually no one stands. So, there are no bad seats per se. But Dream Theater killed tonight. You might have seen me. I was the guy in the wheelchair air drumming with a Dream Theater poster on the first floor last row.
I'm kind of glad I was in the last row. I could stand all I wanted and not piss everybody off. I hate seated venues. It's a metal show, get yer ass up!

Offline dodido253

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #115 on: October 04, 2011, 05:08:48 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5EjEQxBQcM&feature=player_embedded#!

James on 1:13 lol

:lol

BUT IF YOU ARE GOING TO FILM, HOLD THE FRIGGIN' CAMERA STILL AND QUIT AIMING THE SCREEN AT THE CEILING, PEOPLE'S HEADS, AND OTHER OBJECTS THAT EITHER MAKE THE VIEWER SEASICK OR JUST SHOW UP AS HUGE BLACK BLOBS THAT DON'T SHOW US ANYTHING. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #116 on: October 04, 2011, 05:19:31 PM »
Dude, security was strict about filming.  Just be glad the sound was as awesome as it was. 

For the first time ever I can clearly see myself in a bootleg video.  Very cool! 

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #117 on: October 04, 2011, 08:54:17 PM »
Being that I'm not a professional writer this may come across as a completely random and jumbled review but I wanted to express what was truly the greatest Dream Theater experience I've ever had.  This was my sixth time seeing Dream Theater and it was without a doubt the best I have ever seen them.  This may stem slightly from my bias at being second row and meeting the band beforehand, but I honestly think they have never been tighter or put on a better show.

I purchased the Meet & Greet tickets beforehand and it was about how I expected.  I was towards the back of the line so by the time I got to them the line had slowed down a bit and I got to have a brief conversation with all of them.  Petrucci and Mangini seemed very humbled and appreciative of all the compliments.   Rudess and Myung were very quiet and I noticed both of them kept tapping their fingers on the table to keep them in shape for the show.  I told LaBrie how much I liked his lyrics and that I wish he would write more for future albums.  He shurgged and said something like, “We'll see.”  I also mentioned that I was looking forward to his solo shows last year before they got canceled and he rolled his eyes and said, “Yeah, somebody sure screwed that up.”  I again told him how much I love his lyrics and he stuck his hand for me to shake.  It was kind of funny because the lady in charge of the event asked us not to shake their hands to prevent the spread of germs.  It was totally understandable but he and John Myung both initiated the gesture which was very cool.

With the Meet & Greet you get a pre-signed photo, a nice ADTOE poster printed on card stock, a pick case with guitar picks with the signatures of each of the members and one of the album, a uniquely styled t-shirt, your laminate pass you wear, and a tote bag with the Majesty logo.

Now onto the show.  The setlist they used was “Setlist B” which I was initially underwhelmed by but I have to admit, I was won over.  By the end of the show I was soaked with sweat from how much headbanging and jumping around I did.   

So let me review each of the members.

James – First of all, this is without a doubt the best I have ever seen him.  Not only did he sound great but more importantly he was all over the stage, even jumping off of the drum riser at one point.  He initiated so much crowd interaction that no one can deny he is an amazing front man.  During Caught in a Web his voice cracked which only made him sing with more emotion to get it back on track.  He even did a lot of improvising.  For instance, in Endless Sacrifice he started singing/screaming the word “Sacrifice” over and over.  It didn't necessarily add anything to the song but it was sure awesome to see him deviate from the norm.  You could tell he was not phoning in this performance at all. 

JP – What needs to be said about him?  He was spot on the entire night.  Walked around the stage a bit, had a lot of interaction with the crowd, and approached James in between one of the songs which prompted James to get a worried look on his face and say, “Are you going to pummel me?”  He then gave the mic to John who said, “How 'bout them Bears?”  Being that there was a fair amount of Wisconsiners in the audience there was a bit of booing.

JM – Ever focused he gave a great performance as per usual, except he seemed to interact with the guys a bit more. 

JR – I have to admit, I thought the Zenn Riffer was dumb at first but it was pretty badass when he got it out and stood front and center with JM and JP.  Obviously a flawless performance.

Mangini – In the second row I actually heard as much of the drums acoustically as I did amplified.  While that didn't make for the most ideal sound, I did love having somewhat of a more intimate experience with the drums.  Mike was ON the whole night and was even fucking around a bit and making faces at the guys when he would his various items on his monster of a kit.  When he was introduced by James the audience went ballistic.  James then tried to speak again and the audience would not shut up.  Just about everyone there was in agreement that Mangini is THE drummer for Dream Theater and they are not and should not look back. 

The acoustic set was incredibly beautiful even though they aren't my favorite songs.  I was so thankful that Dream Theater now feels comfortable allowing just 2 or 3 members to have a bit of the limelight.  Truly remarkable to just see Jordan, JM, and James playing Far From Heaven. 

When I first heard DT in the 90s, it wasn't anything to special to me.  Then I heard Scenes From a Memory and I liked some of the riffs but hated the prog parts.  With every album they won me over more and more until Octavarium when I became a diehard.  Now eleven years after my first Dream Theater concert I can truly say I have never been more excited for the band or the possibilities that lie ahead and I have never seen them kick so much ass. 

Offline andri_ab

« Reply #118 on: October 04, 2011, 10:44:01 PM »
Great story.  Love it a lot.  Especially the J,J & J with far from heaven... wish i can see it one day.

-andri-

Offline Blackfield

« Reply #119 on: October 05, 2011, 02:31:50 AM »
Based on the few videos I've seen of this show it seems James had a really great night! He's hitting every high note with accuracy. Not something we've been used to lately. It really shows on the videos he's in his A game and he knows it. He's just fired up.

Offline MetalJens

« Reply #120 on: October 05, 2011, 02:37:57 PM »

JP – Walked around the stage a bit, had a lot of interaction with the crowd, and approached James in between one of the songs which prompted James to get a worried look on his face and say, “Are you going to pummel me?”  He then gave the mic to John who said, “How 'bout them Bears?”  Being that there was a fair amount of Wisconsiners in the audience there was a bit of booing.

You mean this :D :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_3gX5cuTu0&feature=email&email=comment_received  <--- Caught In a Web w/Conversation

Thanks for the "translation" though, I didn't understand wtf he was saying :P (I'm not american)

Awesome show!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #121 on: October 05, 2011, 03:26:00 PM »
Thanks for linking the video.  Man, that Chicago crowd looks massive.  There wasn't a whole lot of people in the balcony but that is definitely the biggest DT crowd I have ever seen in the six shows I've been to. 

Chicago fans take their sports seriously....we have to since we don't win much. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #122 on: October 05, 2011, 03:41:37 PM »
I guess I hadn't noticed it on vids from other shows, but I love how the band, even JM, is clapping when MM is introduced.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline kevinpwrs

« Reply #123 on: October 05, 2011, 04:06:14 PM »
Thanks for uploading that video MetalJens. Nice camera, good sound and good zooms. I like that you kept the entire band in the shot. Good work dude. Upload more if you have any!  ;D
"You know how you get to Carnegie Hall don't ya? Practice!"

Offline MetalJens

« Reply #124 on: October 05, 2011, 04:17:19 PM »
Thanks for uploading that video MetalJens. Nice camera, good sound and good zooms. I like that you kept the entire band in the shot. Good work dude. Upload more if you have any!  ;D

Thanks! Unfortunately, I only got that one video. Wanted to enjoy the concert 100% instead of filming :metal But seeing how good the video turned out, I wish I had filmed just a couple of more songs.

Btw, I'm uploading a better quality version of Caught in a Web, will post the link when it's up (takes ages..)

Caught In a Web (720p) :metal ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqrKERo1CeY
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 05:52:25 PM by MetalJens »

Offline Resonate

« Reply #125 on: October 09, 2011, 12:44:06 AM »

Offline Resonate

« Reply #126 on: October 09, 2011, 12:52:19 AM »
James even did some jumps off of the drum riser. 

I really hope that shows up on You Tube!  :yarr :metal

Wow, my wish came true even better than I hoped. Basically the complete show has been uploaded by user "bobhilbr". Pretty much everything is there, give or take a few seconds here and there.    It was shot from the balcony, but the shooter does zoom in throughout the show.  The picture is good and the sound is very nice.  Every song and Mangini's solo is there, though Ytse Jam did get split between 2 videos.   It's really great to be able to watch the complete set.

https://www.youtube.com/user/bobhilbri#g/u

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #127 on: October 09, 2011, 07:10:42 AM »
Awesome!  Thank you for posting this!

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #128 on: October 09, 2011, 01:19:21 PM »

Wow, my wish came true even better than I hoped. Basically the complete show has been uploaded by user "bobhilbr". Pretty much everything is there, give or take a few seconds here and there.    It was shot from the balcony, but the shooter does zoom in throughout the show.  The picture is good and the sound is very nice.  Every song and Mangini's solo is there, though Ytse Jam did get split between 2 videos.   It's really great to be able to watch the complete set.

I just convinced the guy to hand the full show down to us! A complete DVD bootleg is coming!  :angel:
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #129 on: October 09, 2011, 01:35:40 PM »

I just convinced the guy to hand the full show down to us! A complete DVD bootleg is coming!  :angel:
YES!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #130 on: October 09, 2011, 02:18:03 PM »
Wow, good job recording and filming!!!  Would love to get a dvd of this!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline bootshooter55

« Reply #131 on: October 12, 2011, 06:04:29 AM »

I think we can make that happen  :tup wasteland not only turned me on to this site, (Thank You wasteland) he also sent me step by step instructions as to how to upload all of the unprocessed files of my youtube "Dream Theater Live @ Rosemont Theater" playlist and I'll get that done ASAP!!! Thanks to everybody here for your positive comments posted on my vids and your expressed interest in obtaining HD copies of the Rosemont show...Rest assured, my files will soon be OURS  :metal

Offline The Fatal Tragedy

• I'm that "Awesome" guy.
« Reply #132 on: December 01, 2011, 12:22:46 PM »

I think we can make that happen  :tup wasteland not only turned me on to this site, (Thank You wasteland) he also sent me step by step instructions as to how to upload all of the unprocessed files of my youtube "Dream Theater Live @ Rosemont Theater" playlist and I'll get that done ASAP!!! Thanks to everybody here for your positive comments posted on my vids and your expressed interest in obtaining HD copies of the Rosemont show...Rest assured, my files will soon be OURS  :metal
I'm curious to hear an update on the current status of this project's whereabouts. I'm not trying to be rude in any way, but is it still being worked on?  :huh:
Embrace the days; don't turn away. Life's true intent needs patience.

Karma starts the signal...