Author Topic: 2011-10-16 - Merriam Theatre - Philadelphia, PA  (Read 34389 times)

Offline Major Thirteenth

• He has his father's eyes... Gomez, take those out of his mouth.
Re: i
« Reply #105 on: October 17, 2011, 12:55:19 PM »
Yeah, definitely a fantastic show. Perfect setlist! I never saw TW or Forsaken, so that was cool. I love how much they represented the new album, and it was done beautifully as usual. It was my 10th time seeing them. Major 13th, I was probably 1 of those statues in front of you, we were in row P. It's hard enough on my feet just to stand on those hard floors for 2 hours, let alone scream all night like I used to. I looked for you, but I wasn't looking behind me. Figured you would be up further. PlaysLikeMyung, I didn't see your post about meeting until just now, so definitely next time, man.
All 3 of us absolutely hated Periphery, but I think most of it was the sound. Not the right venue for a band like that imo, and I think having 3 guitars really made things sound unclear. I saw lots of people leave the room and wait in the lobby for them to be done. I had to wonder if that's why they stopped so early, since I was expecting them for 45 minutes.
Overall, a great day. The only thing I would change is we wanted to find Steaks on South or Jim's Steaks, but my wife has liver issues and after 1000000 blocks we stopped and settled for Famous Steve's Steaks.  I winded how much further the other places were?
I hope they play that place again !

No worries we'll hook up next time. By the way, the Merriam was the most sharply sloped theater I've ever been to. Standing for any length of time was agony. It was literally standing on a steep hill. Try that for 10 minutes, it doesn't work well. A couple of people who stumbled in after the lights went down nearly turned into human bowling balls, as they were not expecting to have to rappel to their seats.

Offline Millais

Re: 2011-10-16 - Merriam Theatre - Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #106 on: October 17, 2011, 03:27:13 PM »
A note on periphery. I'm not trying to be a dick but give an honest opinion. I was hopeful for them and wanted to like them but i thought they were terrible. Three guitars all using a digital amp sounded god awful. I do not understand why people don't' use real amps live like JP and most other people do. Digital guitar does not sound good live. I've heard it many times and it always sucks. I thought the singer was really bad as well as the songs. The drummer was VERY good though.

Periphery is an acquired taste, and most of those acquiring that taste are in their teens and twenties. I was at their show at the Gramercy a couple of weeks ago, which they sold out, and the fans were digging them like mad. But it's a much younger crowd than a DT concert.

This. I'd be considered as a "young" fan and I personally love the majority of what they do. Their drummer is incredible - probably the strongest musician in the band.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #107 on: October 17, 2011, 03:39:09 PM »
19 y/o here and I love Periphery. Saw in Columbus on their headlining tour and they were perfect. They all sounded great.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #108 on: October 17, 2011, 08:37:35 PM »
20 y/o reporting in for periphery. saw them 2 weeks ago live. loved it

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #109 on: October 17, 2011, 08:46:24 PM »
23 y/o. Saw them last night and loved it.

However I will say that it took me a very long time to get used to the vocals. For awhile I was only listening to the instrumental version of the debut CD.  I always loved the instrumentation and knew the band was young, talented, and had a bright future. 

Offline DTFan0789

« Reply #110 on: October 17, 2011, 11:33:30 PM »
22 y/o here. Caught them during the middle of their setlist. They were ok from what I saw.
"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." - George Orwell, 1984

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #111 on: October 17, 2011, 11:55:17 PM »
They sound much better in a recording. Live it really sounded like a big mess. It's not just the sound either but the music itself comes across odd live.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #112 on: October 18, 2011, 03:24:26 PM »
The show was good, but raping meeting Reapsta was definitely the highlight of the evening for me.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline DTFan0789

« Reply #113 on: October 18, 2011, 11:16:59 PM »
Does anybody have any photos from this show? The security were being Nazis about taking pictures, so unfortunately I wasn't able to snap any.   :-\
"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." - George Orwell, 1984

Offline Rkeister

« Reply #114 on: October 19, 2011, 05:42:46 AM »
i snapped a few, they told me 3 times to put the camera away

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #115 on: October 19, 2011, 07:12:16 AM »
So, I have to say that this show was easily the best DT show I've seen. The setlist was phenomenal, all the band was in top form, and the crowd was even fantastic.

Not a SINGLE song on this set is one I've seen before. Very welcome change *coughconstantmotioncough*. These Walls, Ytse Jam, and Fatal Tragedy were fucking awesome. And I have to say, despite hating Train of Thought, and considering Endless Sacrifice a bad song... it totally slayed live. The jam in the middle was amazing, AND JOHN MYUNG FUCKING SMILED AT JP ZOMG.

The Silent Man was great. I loved the mini acoustic set they decided to do. I hope they do more of it on future tours. There are quite a few songs they could rotate for that.

But holy shit seeing Breaking All Illusions live was amazing. The guitar solo killed live.

My only complaint about the set was that there was TOTALLY more time for another encore song... but whatever. Under a Glass Moon is a really awesome closer.

Great to see Nick again, and meeting Reapsta was a real treat :3 (he looks a lot different from what I had imagined... lol)

MUST HAVE PHILLY MEETUP NEXT TIME

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
« Reply #116 on: October 19, 2011, 03:35:22 PM »
Does anybody have any photos from this show? The security were being Nazis about taking pictures, so unfortunately I wasn't able to snap any.   :-\

Yes, they were very strict. Did anybody notice the kid up on the right side of the loge snapping pics all night? I wonder if he was hired by the band or something, because he was left alone all night.

And yes, Philly meetup sounds cool next time. Hopefully it's another weekend show. And if it's at the same venue, let's meet at the best Philly cheesesteak place to be picked by someone who knows! We were looking for Jim's or Steaks on South, and we settled for Steve's because I got sick of walking and felt bad for my wife who was in pain; turns out we were only 2 or 3 blocks from the good places.
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #117 on: October 19, 2011, 08:05:23 PM »
Yeah SoS and Jim's are on South Street, between 5th-3rd streets, I think. They aren't hard to find, just pretty close to Penn's Landing :)

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #118 on: October 22, 2011, 10:40:53 AM »
The show was good, but raping meeting Reapsta was definitely the highlight of the evening for me.

I've made peace with what happened.  You don't need to hide it.

The Silent Man was great. I loved the mini acoustic set they decided to do. I hope they do more of it on future tours. There are quite a few songs they could rotate for that.

Before TSM:

James "I'm sure 99% of you are on the boards, so you know what's coming up next."
Crowd "The Silent Man!"
James "You guys are fucking creeping me out.  Fucking creepin' me out man."

Great to see Nick again, and meeting Reapsta was a real treat :3 (he looks a lot different from what I had imagined... lol)

You weren't expecting to be so turned on by the beard, right?  It has to be the beard.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again