Author Topic: The first few songs that got you into DT  (Read 5137 times)

Offline wilgod3p

Re: The first few songs that got you into DT
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2011, 08:04:28 AM »
First song was In the name of god, followed by As I am

Offline reo73

• Banned
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2011, 10:23:05 AM »
Pull Me Under and Learning to Live made me a fan.  Voices made me a Fanboy.

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2011, 11:10:53 AM »
Peruvian Skies, Under a Glass Moon, Home.

Offline Evo

« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2011, 11:33:39 AM »
A Change Of Seasons

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2011, 11:34:38 AM »
Octavarium, a 23 minute song

Does not compute.
24! It's 24 minutes, dammit  ;D

oh! Sorry, seriously, I should've known : / especially since it's my fav song of all time! Well, thank you for correcting me

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2011, 12:02:25 PM »
Peruvian Skies (OIALT) and The Mirror. I was big into Pink Floyd AND Metallica at the time. haha

also ACOS (watched on youtube constantly

Learning to Live (part of a list of songs I downloaded way back in the limewire type era

and Freaks / Invisible from Elements of Persuasion... of course miss labeled as I Walk Beside You and These Walls

And TDOE.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2011, 12:09:37 PM »
Pull Me Under, Panic Attack, The Spirit Carries On, The Count of Tuscany, and Another Day.

Another Day pretty much made me get all of DT's discography, though.

Offline Cable

« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2011, 12:34:56 PM »
Surrounded
In 2000, based on mentions of DT in the Megadeth forum, I downloaded this song to put on a mix CD. I was into my metal phase, and this was the song I downloaded for some reason  (Napster maybe). Suffice to say, I hated it. I was at the time not into 80's rock/metal, and that is what this sounded like. So at that point, I wrote them off.

Pull Me Under
In 2001, my cousin played the song for me. I enjoyed it, and I bought I&W shortly after. However, with Surrounded being on the CD, I still had the 80's vibe (thanks Prater!). So I tried and tried, but pretty much gave up hope.

Hell's Kitchen
A few months after I bought I&W, I decided to give DT a shot again, why I do not know. I think on CDNOW maybe (I think that was the site, prior Amazon explosion), I listened to a sound sample. I loved what I heard! So after a trip to amusement park with friend's was cut short, I decided I was going to go buy the CD that had the song when got home.

New Millennium
...and this was the song I needed to hear. With my current musicial maturity at the time, this is the song that ultimately did it. I was into Nevermore at the time, so I was getting used to high male vocals. But I&W was just too high at the time. This song had enough vocal restraint that just clicked. The instrumentation was controlled by bombastic, and it was heavy enough for me to keep my ear.

And the rest was history. I bought the whole back catalog at the time, and eventually loved I&W. But at the time and place I was at, it was hard to appreciate. And the production really does date the album, it is true unfortunately.
---

Offline DP_Gumby

• Wished I lived in any fantasy realm
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2011, 01:10:46 PM »
In The Name of God.  :metal
"This morning, shortly after eleven o'clock, comedy struck this little house in Dibley. Sudden. Violent. Comedy." - Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Offline j

« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2011, 01:25:53 PM »
I poked around on the internet and downloaded several of what people were saying were the best songs of a band called Dream Theater (this was late '07-early '08 I think).  Metropolis, Octavarium, ACoS, The Glass Prison, ITPOE, Stream of Consciousness, and Pull Me Under I remember distinctly as being among them.  That was enough to get me interested.

-J

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2011, 02:10:24 PM »
Probably Surrounded, 6:00 and LSOAD. They were among the first DT songs I ever heard.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline SeventhSon

« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2011, 04:45:41 PM »
I remember being sent a handful of songs (can't remember exactly which ones) and thinking the band was pretty cool, but I sort of forgot about them. I'd heard lots of great things so I bought their cheapest record (Awake). I popped it in for the first time, and right from the get-go 6:00 had me hooked. I was pretty new to the whole prog thing, and hearing the complexity and precision of the music blew me away. Caught in a Web made me think "Ok, these guys can do heavy too." Then Innocence Faded started up and that intro lick absolutely sealed my love for the Awake record. I of course eventually picked up the rest of their discography, but Awake is what really got me.

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2011, 05:06:19 PM »
Pull Me Under, As I Am, and 6:00 were the first we I heard. Followed closely by Metropolis, Take The Time, and Erotomania

Offline ibosmiley

« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2011, 11:53:11 PM »
It was one of those love at first listens for me.  It was back in...hmmm...'92 or '93.  I was at a friend's house and he started playing the album.  It was one of those nights where he was just kind of popping in different CDs while we were hanging out.  He popped in Images and Words, I heard Pull me Under and I loved it.  He let it play for a few songs... Another Day and Take the Time I believe.  I was sold on DT.
"Are you listening to the words I say.  In the meadows my thoughts dance and play.  I know now I'm the only one.  Who can convince the rising sun"

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2011, 12:52:34 AM »
As I Am was the most memorable of the Maiden show for me, so initially I wanted Train of Thought (which I still don't have :/) but I found Awake and that was all the store had, and 6:00 pretty much made me a fan. :D
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Gemuetlich

« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2011, 05:44:20 AM »
The few years before I was mostly listening to Metallica, Rush and Pink Floyd.

I was introduced to both Images and Words and Awake immediately after Awake was released.

The Mirror was the first song to catch my attention, but the other songs slowly soaked in. By the time A Change a Season came out DT was already my favorite band, and still is.

Other bands I listen to are: Pagan's Mind, Vanden Plas, Dreamscape, Darkwater, Fates Warning, LTE, Pain of Salvation, Royal Hunt, Shadow Gallery, Symphony X...

Offline Guitalguy

• Blackness awakens Visions come alive
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2011, 07:45:27 AM »
Sad as it may be, I fist heard DT with Pull Me Under on Guitar Hero 4. I liked the song, but I never really put any effort into listening to the band. Then I played Panic Attack on RB2 at my friend's house. I don't remember it blowing my mind, but about last year i decided to try and listen to them, and started with Octavarium, because of the awesome cover. The Root Of All Evil blew my mind, and I liked the other songs as well. Then I moved to BCSL, and all the others.

I'm no long time fan, but my friends are already getting tired of me talking about awesome DT are. I have no intention on stopping. Because they're awesome.

Offline TheGodOfN00bs

« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2011, 11:01:25 AM »
Panic Attack, The Count of Tuscany, A Nightmare to Remember, The Spirit Carries On.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2011, 11:02:21 AM »
Metropolis
TSCO
As I Am

Offline mocool13

« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2011, 12:26:23 PM »
The Ministry of Lost Souls
Fatal Tragedy

Offline EuropaEndlos

« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2011, 10:58:41 PM »
I think I heard Metropolis or Dance of Eternity first, and then prom weekend for my in high school, I think it was actually the weekend before or after Octavarium came out in 05, I got Scenes From a Memory in the mail, and made my friend throw it in his car on the way to the beach the day after prom... 

Fast Forward to April 2006, and I was at Radio City Music Hall, and got hooked for a while before and after that show... Stopped listening for a while, slowly getting back into em.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2011, 11:44:49 PM »
Metropolis
TSCO
As I Am

Oh yeah, ACOS was the 4th song I heard but at the time a 24 minute long song seemed like a crazy concept. Still, I got to know it pretty well for about 5 listens before I ever found the 8VM board.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2011, 11:45:59 PM »
Pull Me Under
Constant Motion

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2011, 12:13:31 AM »
Erotomania
Octavarium

and to a lesser extent Pull Me Under and Another Day

Offline rush-signals

• Was into DT before you!
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2011, 09:38:51 AM »
Pull Me Under the first time I heard it on the radio I thought it might be new Rush. I have been a DT fan ever since!
Thanks,
Dave

Offline metropofreak

• I like turtles
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2011, 10:20:44 AM »
My brother bought Live at Budokan and showed me MP's drum solo. Needless to say I was quite impressed, so I watched the whole DVD. As I Am was the only song that I could stand.

Then later that year my brother and I went trekking in Yosemite and just before we went he bought 8V. I listened to that album nonstop for the four days we were there. My immediate favourites were The Root of All Evil and These Walls, but then I fell in love with the title track itself. 8V is still one of my favourite songs of all time.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2011, 10:44:31 AM »
learning to live and acos are probably my hooked songs to get into the rest.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2011, 11:51:46 PM »
Hmm... It must have been:

Pull Me Under
Caught in a Web
A Rite of Passage

Offline novenpeter

« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2011, 01:45:18 AM »
The Dance of Eternity
Metropolis

but that really bring me into DT is LTE's Acid Rain  :laugh:

Offline bss4life15

« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2011, 01:58:06 AM »
The Glass Prison, heard it then listened to all of SDOIT, they became my new favorite band immediately after i cleaned all of the semen off the floor

Offline jsem

« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2011, 03:53:09 AM »
PMU was the first DT song I heard.

Octavarium was the first DT song I loved.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2011, 11:14:27 AM »
A Fortune In Lies- The riff had me thinking "good start", the bass reminded me of Rush, I liked the keyboards before the lyrics started. The solo was over the top, topped off with the arpeggios (mandatory in the 80s). I liked that you didn't know what was coming next. Most of the stuff I listened to was verse-chorus-verse-chorus-solo- chorus stuff, even the instrumental stuff followed this pattern. on this album it was all over the place- a new riff or verse, a solo poping up in a strange place- a total change of tack at the drop of a hat.

The Killing Hand- just awesome. Epic. Didn't have a clue what it was about but it didn't matter. it was like early Rush crossed with Satriani, Yngwie,, and other bands I listened tyo, but totally unlike any of them.
By the time I got to Afterlife and THAT unison I was hooked and amazed.

Fast forward a few years and I was in a pub and the DJ played this song which sounded a bit like Enter Sandman but with a fantastic singer and the band could really play. He followed it up with a ballad, again a great vocal. In my half-inebbriated state I didn't realise it was the same band. I asked the DJ who it was and of course it was DT, PMU and AD. I was amazed and deliriously happy. the next morning I went straight to the local music shop and bought I&W.

The rest is self explanatory.

What he said... except for the fast forward/DJ part.  After that, it was directly on to Metropolis and LtL that hooked me for life.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2011, 03:30:25 AM »
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (specifically the Overture and Losing Time/Grand Finale)

Octavarium

The Spirit Carries On

Home

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2011, 03:41:06 AM »
The first moment I heard the intro of Under a Glass Moon, I went WTF????  :o
and that was it.....

Offline Bill Carson

« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2011, 03:50:42 AM »
Fist song I heard was "Another Day", the fast picking part grabbed my ear initially. Then saw the videos to "Take the Time" and "Pull Me Under".
Realised that they were the new Rush, bought Images & Words and....they have been my number one band ever since.