Author Topic: Six Feet Under (TV show) Appreciation (tons of spoilers)  (Read 17956 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Six Feet Under (TV show) Appreciation (tons of spoilers)
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2015, 07:26:09 AM »
I was not surprised by Nate's death.  After the close call at the end of S2/beginning of S3, and given the concept of the show, I figured he would die at some point during the show (as opposed to after it, if you know what I mean).  The way they did it was awesome, though, and the burial scene, where the family takes turns throwing dirt on him after lowering his body into the ground, was quite literally the saddest bit of fiction I have ever seen.  The acting alone there of Michael C. Hall was absolutely soul-crushing.

Back to the final sequence of the show, if that does not get to you, you have no soul. 

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2015, 08:27:57 AM »
I actually thought from very early on that the show might end with Nate's death and funeral in the same way that it began with their father's, in a "cycle of life" kind of way. So when that happened a few episodes before, I was left thinking "how is it going to end now?" :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2015, 07:13:50 PM »
I thought it was cool that pretty much every episode began with a death, but the last one began with the birth of Nate and Brenda's daughter.

I also liked the fact that Claire was the focus of the final sequence.  While I am guessing she always got as much screen time as Nate and David, you always got the impression that she was number 3 at best in the pecking order of "main characters," so it was cool that she was the center of attention at the very end.  I thought the whole art school storylines were always neat.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2015, 02:41:41 PM »
I thought it was cool that pretty much every episode began with a death, but the last one began with the birth of Nate and Brenda's daughter.

I also liked the fact that Claire was the focus of the final sequence.  While I am guessing she always got as much screen time as Nate and David, you always got the impression that she was number 3 at best in the pecking order of "main characters," so it was cool that she was the center of attention at the very end.  I thought the whole art school storylines were always neat.

Agreed. Also yes, the whole burial scene is amazing and I also got tired of the George going crazy storyline. But still, totally worth going all the way!
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2015, 04:00:58 PM »
Indeed it was!! :hat

I am glad Claire did not end up with Billy.  I never liked the teases about them possibly getting together, and when they finally got together at the end of 4/beginning of 5, I rolled my eyes big time.  I know his character wasn't mean to be likable, but most of the time when he was involved in a scene, I couldn't wait for it to end.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2015, 05:56:49 PM »
I think Billy is hilarious until he gets creepy. That scene where he won't put clothes on because he can't find his Ski Iraq shirt cracks me up... and the way Brenda dies, with him talking  :rollin

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2015, 08:51:26 PM »
I guess for me, any time Billy was there, it was just a matter of waiting for his inner creep to come out. :lol :lol

Now, Brenda's mom, she was freaking gold.  Every time she did or said almost anything, it was both inappropriate and freaking hilarious.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2015, 12:10:05 PM »
Oh man, she is funny but I fucking hate that woman. Toward the end where she throws Maya's monkey aside, I want to tear her face off.
She does utter one of my favorite lines in the show though: "Ruth, it isn't the fifties anymore, no matter how you dress."  :rollin

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2015, 04:57:23 PM »
LOL, that was a good one. :lol :lol

She's one of those 'if you knew someone like her in real life, you'd hate her guts, but as a character on TV show, she is great" characters.  Like Dwight Schrute.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2015, 10:51:37 AM »
Yeah, I agree but still want to tear her face off.

edit: In other news I've been strongly considering restarting the series soon...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2015, 08:30:20 PM »
Do it.  :coolio

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2015, 02:45:15 PM »
I think I've got my younger brother hooked on this now.  He is pretty busy in general, but he has banged out most of S1 in two weeks. :tup :tup

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2015, 11:40:43 PM »
Funny story: I got my oldest brother hooked on it a few years ago. He had knee surgery, so he was mostly stuck at home. I gave him the box set and he blew through it pretty quickly. One night I came over and we ended up watching an episode together. It happened to be the episode where Brenda has that creepy dream about Billy- you know the one I mean. Later when I was leaving, my brother was like "Well... I'd give you a hug, but I still feel a little uncomfortable."  I think we ended up shaking hands  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2015, 06:06:38 AM »
LOL, that is hilarious! :rollin :rollin

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2015, 09:20:53 AM »
Yeah, and my brother being the King of Inappropriate, he will occasionally make jokes about it and call me Brenda  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2015, 09:34:39 AM »
And you bark at him, right?  :lol :lol

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2015, 02:53:53 PM »
 :rollin, I should start doing that!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2015, 04:41:21 PM »
And make that your latest, greatest gif file. :hat

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2016, 12:48:17 AM »
Just finished it for the first time tonight. Fucking amazing

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2016, 01:21:25 AM »
Indeed.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2016, 07:31:55 AM »
Just finished it for the first time tonight. Fucking amazing

Amazing finish, wasn't it?

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2016, 10:39:38 AM »
Yeah, and I sure as hell couldn't hold the tears back. I thought the inclusion of all the character deaths at the end was unexpected, but necessary. Now I know why it is regarded as one of the best endings to a series ever. Looking back, it's hard to tell who my favorite character was. What I love about it though is there are times when I really disliked certain characters, but loved them at other times.

Examples..

Season 2 Brenda was pretty unbearable for obvious reasons, but she became extremely likeable for me later in the show.

Nate was easily my favorite from the start of the show, but near the end, I questioned a ton of things he did.

I think if I had to pick a favorite character, it would be between Nate or David. David really had some big moments later in the show, with the car-jacking, his panic attacks as a result, and the burial scene with Nate was just absolutely heartbreaking. I've only seen a few shows in full (Breaking Bad, Lost, Luther), but I'm certain this is my favorite show. None of the others has ever gotten me so emotional before.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2016, 12:15:44 PM »
Great show!  I read somewhere that the last 10 minutes of the show was considered among the best ending to a show.

I love the ending song and purchased on ITunes.  The song fits the ending so well.

Also, was it this show that was a first for the director or producer and some people thought the show would not make it.

Kev, I have to say that every time you post something, I can see Dexter's attitude and witty come backs.

Do you think they could bring Dexter back as a sequel or movie?
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2016, 01:06:55 PM »
Slightly off topic, but I would like to get into Dexter. After watching Six Feet Under, I really have become a big fan of Michael C. Hall and seeing a show primarily revolved around a completely different type of character of his would be awesome. I saw the pilot episode a while back but never saw beyond that. I heard it kinda goes downhill after a while but without giving any spoilers, what would you, those who have seen it, say about it ?

And the last line in the series is resounding: "You can't take a picture of this, it's already gone."
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 02:39:01 PM by FlyingBIZKIT »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2016, 06:30:36 PM »

Kev, I have to say that every time you post something, I can see Dexter's attitude and witty come backs.

Do you think they could bring Dexter back as a sequel or movie?

I can't see it.  The odds would be too great of them botching it badly.

Slightly off topic, but I would like to get into Dexter. After watching Six Feet Under, I really have become a big fan of Michael C. Hall and seeing a show primarily revolved around a completely different type of character of his would be awesome. I saw the pilot episode a while back but never saw beyond that. I heard it kinda goes downhill after a while but without giving any spoilers, what would you, those who have seen it, say about it ?

I would say watch the first four seasons and stop after that.  Seasons 1 and 2 are two of the best seasons of television ever, 3 is very good, and 4 is pretty great as well.  It goes downhill after that, but without giving spoilers, they could have ended it after 4 and it would have been a great way to end it.

And the last line in the series is resounding: "You can't take a picture of this, it's already gone."

Ya know, I never thought about that, but that is pretty freaking cool.  :coolio

We are obviously not counting the stuff we could sort of hear during the montage at the end (like Billy still talking about Claire when Brenda dies :lol).

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2016, 07:24:34 PM »
Oh god, Brenda's death is kind of hilarious but also depressing because you know she's been listening to that shit for all those years. And yeah, I've always loved that line from dead Nate to Claire. I can't even think about the end of this show without tearing up, to be honest. I still feel like the goddamn Fishers are part of my family.

Looking back, it's hard to tell who my favorite character was. What I love about it though is there are times when I really disliked certain characters, but loved them at other times.

Totally. They're very real characters. Sometimes you love em and sometimes you hate em (in addition to what you mentioned, Claire gets super cunty for a while).
Also, not sure if I have said this before but I can see a bit of myself in all of the major characters. I've always identified most with Claire and Nate but I've got bits of David, Brenda... even Billy :lol
I'm not sure I can choose a favorite though I fucking adore Ruth the more I watch it.

Also, was it this show that was a first for the director or producer and some people thought the show would not make it.

It may have been the first thing Alan Ball directed but he was definitely involved with TV and movies before SFU, like American Beauty  :heart

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2016, 08:17:18 PM »
Ruth was such a neurotic nutcase; always entertaining to watch!

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2016, 09:32:56 PM »
Exactly. She's just so... cute :lol

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2016, 10:41:48 PM »
Ruth has a very contagious smile and laugh. Her quirkiness is so awkward and I love it. I was glad to see her and Claire make peace at the end of the show, they couldn't stand the sight of each other for a bit :lol

Oh, and let's say, out of the main cast, which excludes Brenda's awful mother...who was the least favorite character?

For me: Rico. Before I started the show, I already liked Freddy Rodriguez, but he turned out to be my least favorite of the main cast. He was pretty much a selfish prick the whole time who only seemed to care about money.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 10:55:47 PM by FlyingBIZKIT »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2016, 07:37:59 AM »
Claire gets super cunty for a while
Phrase of the day
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2016, 05:36:33 PM »
 :hat

I agree on Rico as least favorite major character. Yeah, the money stuff was annoying but culturally I think it was where he was coming from. Sure Vanessa worked, but he was supposed to be the one providing for the family and had an image to uphold, that sort of thing. The story line with Infiniti was really what peeved me about him, and what a super cunt SHE was. Ugh.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2016, 08:15:34 PM »
Plus, he had the dumbest moment in the history of the series when he admitted to his wife that he slept with the stripper.  "I didn't sleep with her until last night after you kicked me out." (might be a slight paraphrase).  Idiot. :facepalm: :lol :lol

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2016, 10:06:19 PM »
Well, I wouldn't want that shit hanging over my head either so I can't blame him for admitting it, but that whole "relationship" was just maddening. I wanted to fast forward over those scenes the last time I watched it.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2016, 06:58:46 AM »
Like what was he even thinking. I honestly didn't think he would be one to do that because of how faithful he had been but I guess he just cracked at some point with Vanessa's depression and distance. Still no excuse to hook up with a random stripper he meets :lol