Author Topic: Sir Paul and One of the Most Momentous Days of My Life  (Read 1229 times)

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
Sir Paul and One of the Most Momentous Days of My Life
« on: August 05, 2011, 03:25:53 PM »
My son and I had the opportunity to attend a meet and greet with Night Ranger on Wednesday night. They were in town with Foreigner and Journey. I have met Jack Blades on a couple of other occassions through Geddy, so it was cool to see him again at the show. The concert was very good. Night Ranger kicked ass, and Journey was great (Foreigner did okay, but seemed like they were going through the motions, like Mick Jones had to be somewhere else; and well....Lou Gramm is sorely missed).

On Thursday morning my wife got a call from someone named Carol that she knows from working with the regional arts coalition. My wife does alot of charity work with the arts, and drags me along when I'm available or home. Carol asked if we would like to be guests at a lunch with the mayor and a bunch of people with Paul McCartney. DUH!!

My wife, my son and I arrived and walked in and there he was ~ Paul McCartney. I couldn't believe it. For one of the few times in my life, I was actually star struck. There was a group of about 15 people there. He was there with his band. We sort of entered into a quasi-receiving line, and when it was our turn, we were introduced. He was very, very nice. He flirted a bit with my wife, then joked around with my son, and then when it was my turn-he shook my hand, and I mumbled something about it being an honor to meet him.

A short while later we were seated for lunch. The Castellini family (who own the Reds) were very instrumental in getting Paul to add Cincinnati to his tour. Bob, the family patriarch and owner of the team was there of course with his wife and sons and their wives. Bob knows my wife very well through the arts coalition and invited us to sit near he and the mayor and Paul. When we all took our seats, my son was directly across from Paul, and I was actually sitting next to him!!! I was so nervous I think the entire lunch I ate a roll, and a bite of salad. He turned out to be a genuinely nice guy. I couldn't believe I was actually having lunch with Paul McCartney! He told story after story, and various people shared stories about what his music has meant in their lives. He shared with us some stories about various songs he would play later that evening, and how they came about. He talked about how he and George used to play together, and basically learned to play guitar together when they were my sons age. He shared how much he still really misses John, and told a few stories about some of the things they did onstage to crack each other up.

Then at one point he asks my son if he had a favorite Beatles song. I held my breath and my kid says "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da". Paul said, "Oh, good! Thats one of mine! Sing it with me!'' Right there at the table, he and my kid start singing the chorus!!! OHMYGAWD!!!!! When they finish Paul says "Very good!", and everyone has a good laugh. I took a moment to brag on my kid and tell Paul he was in his high schools honor choir. Paul said, "That's terrific! Good for you. Keep it up, we need more young people into music." Then he asks my kid if he plays an instrument. Now here is the rub for me. I bought him a guitar when he was ten, and because he didn't know how to play it, and he's been "too cool" to learn how, it has sat in his room. Occassionally, I'll ask him when he's going to learn to play it, and he always says "pretty soon". My son answered him by saying he had a guitar but hadn't taken lessons "yet". Yeah right. Paul says, "Let me tell you a secret. Singing is great. Don't ever stop singing. But if you can sing, AND play the guitar, you'll get more girls. Trust me!" Everyone cracked up, and now of course today my kid signed up for guitar lessons.   :lol Hey! Whatever it takes I guess.  :lol

Anyway, Paul was gracious throughout lunch, and couple of hours later he left to get ready for the show, and we left for the stadium to attend the concert as guests of the Castellini's.

Now I really like the Beatles. I also like Wings. I have a ton of Beatles music in my digital collection, and some Wings too, but I have never bought a Wings record. And I think I bought the Red and Blue albums of the Beatles as a kid. I'm not a huge fanboy. I don't know a ton of trivia about the band. I know people who do. I've met people who can tell you the exact time the members of the Beatles were born. They can name family members names and occupations. Me? I was born in '63 and while I always enjoyed listening to the Beatles, and later Pauls other stuff, I guess I always just took their music for granted. To me the Beatles are rock royalty. Not Elvis. My personal musical journeys have taken me to many different places. Hell, it even led me to this board ultimately, but I've always just put the Beatles at the top of the mountain when it came to music. Even if I never claimed they were my favorite band. On sheer volume of hits alone, it was just assumed by me.

Now, I tell you that to tell you this. I had just shared something with my kid that I never, ever imagined. I have worked very hard to get to where I am in my life. I have also been very lucky in certain regards. There are many times where I'll be with my son, and I think, "I hope the magnitude of this moment is not lost on him". For example- he's now 14. He knows what dad does for a living, and he knows the reaction I get from other people. He's been at book signings, and sometimes just shakes his head when people ask me to sign something for them. We see Geddy and his family now a couple of times each year, and he's been back stage at a bunch of shows now. We travel to some pretty cool places sometimes, and it is at those moments that I wonder (not worry really, because he's a really good kid) , but I wonder if he knows how lucky he is. I don't want him growing up thinking he's entitled if you know what I mean. Or take things for granted either.

So late yesterday afternoon, were at the stadium, and he says to me, "Dad, I can tell my grandkids that I actually sang with Paul McCartney at lunch!"  :lol

Maybe it was part the moment, and part something else- but I have to tell you that the Paul McCartney CONCERT portion of my day, was one of the greatest concerts I have ever been to in my life. What a show! I'd put it in my top five easily. The guy is 69 years old. He sings wonderfully. His voice has not faltered, even a little bit. He plays great, and has more energy than I could muster for three hours at my age! Maybe there is something to being a vegetarian. But you gotta think there can't be too many more shows left in the guy. Of course, if last night were any indication, he's still got a lot left in the tank for sure.

I know one thing. I'll tell my grandkids at least that me and their dad both met and shared lunch with Paul McCartney and then saw his concert together.  :metal

Setlist

1."Hello, Goodbye"
 2."Junior's Farm"
 3."All My Loving"
 4."Jet"
 5."Drive My Car"
 6."Sing the Changes"
 7."The Night Before"
 8."Let Me Roll It" (with "Foxy Lady" coda)
 9."Paperback Writer"
 10."The Long and Winding Road"
 11."Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five"
 12."Let 'Em In"
 13."Maybe I'm Amazed"
 14."I've Just Seen a Face"
 15."I Will"
 16."Blackbird"
 17."Here Today"
 18."Dance Tonight"
 19."Mrs. Vanderbilt"
 20."Eleanor Rigby"
 21."Something" (On Ukelele)
 22."Band on the Run"
 23."Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da"
 24."Back in the U.S.S.R."
 25."I've Got a Feeling"
 26."A Day in the Life/Give Peace a Chance"
 27."Let it Be"
 28."Live and Let Die"
 29."Hey Jude"

Encore 1

30."Lady Madonna"
 31."Day Tripper"
 32."Get Back"

Encore 2

33."Yesterday"
34.Helter Skelter
35."Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End"
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Sir Paul and One of the Most Momentous Days of My Life
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 03:32:44 PM »
It's like being a kid looking at Paul but being so proud to see the look in your own child's eyes at that moment.  What a great story Temp and a great setlist.  I bet your son will never forget this day and will pass it on to his children some day.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 03:33:56 PM »
Dude.

Freaking.  Awesome.  

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 03:37:32 PM »
Very cool, and I like that you impress the magnitude of such an event upon your kid.  Reminds me of when I saw The Play at the 92 Big Game, and my grandfather told me to remember that moment for the rest of my life, because in twenty years a million people would be claiming to be at that game, and he was right. 

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 03:38:35 PM »
I get the consolation prize - I work with Paul McCartney's cousin at VT (rarely, but I do).

Offline BanksD

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 03:46:02 PM »
While i'm not a big fan of The Beatles I must admit that this was an awesome story.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 03:49:46 PM »
I get the consolation prize - I work with Paul McCartney's cousin at VT (rarely, but I do).

It's a small world. While at lunch, my wife was telling him that she lived in Tucson growing up. Paul and Linda had a home in the desert there apparently, and my mother-in-law used to shop once in a while in this little health food store and she would see Linda there from time to time.  As she's sharing the story, my wife says "it was the little health food store there owned by (and then they both at the same time said) --Madeline Ray!" And started laughing!
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 07:59:05 PM »
:omg: Holy crap that's an amazing story! 

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 10:49:55 PM »
Wow great story, that sounds awesome!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 02:08:26 AM »
Amazing!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.