Author Topic: 2011-09-27 - Moore Theatre - Seattle, WA  (Read 36733 times)

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
Re: 2011-09-27 - Moore Theatre - Seattle, WA
« Reply #105 on: September 27, 2011, 11:48:37 PM »
No surprises then.

Well, perhaps for some of those in Seattle.  :)
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: September 28, 2011, 12:04:02 AM »
I hope they don't keep TMW/FT for the Texas shows cause the person behind me wouldn't be able to see the band for almost 8 minutes of me jumping up and down from joy.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: September 28, 2011, 12:14:19 AM »
I hope they don't keep TMW/FT for the Texas shows cause the person behind me wouldn't be able to see the band for almost 8 minutes of me jumping up and down from joy.

Thinking of it, same here, it would be a shame to see a 36 years old guy screaming like a 14 years old chick at a Justin Bieber show.  :rollin

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
« Reply #108 on: September 28, 2011, 12:25:06 AM »
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #109 on: September 28, 2011, 12:32:28 AM »
I did, and it was my second time seeing it live. It was my favorite instrumental section of the show.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #110 on: September 28, 2011, 01:01:45 AM »
The show was FANTASTIC.   Wish I could have heard BAI, but you can't have everything.

The band was ON FIRE as far as I'm concerned.   One complaint....there were several moments when you could not hear James *AT ALL*....The Great Debate was the worst, but there were other examples....

MANY THANKS to glaurung and lateralus88...I had alot of fun hanging out with you guys.   

The MM drum solo was surprisingly entertaining.   I personally, would NOT have given it up for another song.   But I would have given up Forsaken for almost anything else.

One thing that stood out over everything else....the guys were happier than I've seen them since the Score show.   Everyone was smiling, happy, having fun...everyone was just really having a blast.

It's a great show folks....don't miss it.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Hoppipolla

• Rise up, Be counted
  • Trapped inside this....
« Reply #111 on: September 28, 2011, 01:52:34 AM »
Tired, i'll post more tomorrow.

Best concert I've ever seen even if the venue's acoustics were below average.

JP is my god and savior. JLB sounds amazing. I love you MP but MM is A DRUMMING MACHINE.

....and meeting Jordan was the best of it all.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #112 on: September 28, 2011, 04:10:32 AM »
Hope you guys get BAI, what would really blow my mind is if space dye vest gets played
That would blow everyone's mind, since there is no way in hell it will happen.
There's a small chance, but I would agree it would probably never happen. James and Jordan did play it not too long ago, so I wouldn't say it's out of the question.
There's no chance, both of them said afterward that it wouldn't show up in a DT set.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #113 on: September 28, 2011, 04:34:27 AM »
Hope you guys get BAI, what would really blow my mind is if space dye vest gets played
There's a small chance, but I would agree it would probably never happen. James and Jordan did play it not too long ago, so I wouldn't say it's out of the question.
There's no chance, both of them said afterward that it wouldn't show up in a DT set.

I can remember they said that the song might be played at some time in the not-so-near future, though...
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: September 28, 2011, 06:09:15 AM »

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #115 on: September 28, 2011, 06:55:53 AM »
Then I stand corrected.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline bondrkm

• And still the orchestra plays.....
« Reply #116 on: September 28, 2011, 08:39:45 AM »
Great show last night, the guys were awesome.  I was very impressed with Mangini; MP is a tough act to follow, but MM did just fine. 
Thanks to Laich21DT & Cool Chris for hanging out and providing great conversation.  My only complaint about the show was mentioned earlier about not being able to hear James’ vocals in some spots.

Offline Lloyd2112DT

« Reply #117 on: September 28, 2011, 09:15:53 AM »
I was at the show yesterday, a few feet from JP.

It was an awesome show. It seemed like a lot of people near the front (myself included) stood the entire show, which is the first time I've seen that at a concert.  :metal:

I recorded about an hour and a half of video I think, which I'll upload when I get to work.

Until then, here are some pictures...

« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 09:36:25 AM by Lloyd2112DT »

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #118 on: September 28, 2011, 09:42:13 AM »
Let's keep it on topic...

Nice pics Lloyd2112DT - looking forward to the videos too.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: September 28, 2011, 09:56:03 AM »
Kept away from the setlists ahead of time so was pleasantly surprised and pleased with everything. Not a big fan of TGD, or TW, in fact I didn’t recognize it for a minute or so I listen to it so rarely. I know people hate on ES here, but I love that song, and it always seems to get a good response live.

As far as the Setlist A vs B, I would have preferred A going in, so was happy to get that one. I’ve seen PMU twice, could live without WFS, and prefer Outcry to BAI. BTS could be my favorite on the new album but didn’t think they would play it live for some reason, so that was great. CiaW kills Forsaken, but otherwise I couldn’t be happier with ‘A’

Great show last night, the guys were awesome.  I was very impressed with Mangini; MP is a tough act to follow, but MM did just fine. 
Thanks to Laich21DT & Cool Chris for hanging out and providing great conversation.  My only complaint about the show was mentioned earlier about not being able to hear James’ vocals in some spots.

Seconded. Nice to hang out with both of you. That was weird with James' mic/vocal levels. MM is truly a beast. He totally looked happy and comfortable, like he was born for the job.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Lloyd2112DT

« Reply #120 on: September 28, 2011, 11:22:20 AM »
As promised, here are the videos I recorded...

Intro/Bridges in the Sky:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YITUPrXpqCM

These Walls:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ98p331tyg

Build Me Up, Break Me Down:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GWcmal2W0k

Endless Sacrifice/Drum Solo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-aEXgQrg7o

Ytse Jam:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raBRszBDUFw

The Great Debate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh_IzCrjN8E

Fatal Tragedy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wwA93fBzNM

Outcry:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg_72l-NUPE

Under A Glass Moon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbXv3w3Omf8

I haven't had a chance to watch them yet, so I don't know how they turned out. Also, I don't know how well my camera was able to record the sound, since I've never been that close to the speakers before. Let me know if they turned out alright. Unfortunately I'm at work, so I can't check. >_<

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #121 on: September 28, 2011, 11:43:00 AM »
Oh man what a fantastic night. Trivum put on a pretty solid performance I thought. Got to see a few favourites live (Ignition and Gomen).

As for Dream Theater, oh my lord did they rock. As mentioned, we got set A. And there was such engie, powah the entire way through. Ended up waiting in line for the show for almost 5 hours, and got a pretty good seat. Nate (Glaurung) and I ended up meeting Jammindude, who apparently is close friends with SetlistScotty. Definitely a cool person to hang with before and during the show.

My neck is sore. My throat is dry. And mother fucker was Fatal Tragedy good live.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #122 on: September 28, 2011, 11:44:23 AM »
Very nice! Great quality.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #123 on: September 28, 2011, 11:49:37 AM »
Amazing videos.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #124 on: September 28, 2011, 12:04:19 PM »

Fatal Tragedy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wwA93fBzNM

Thanks Lloyd for taking the time to upload these. Much appreciated. They look and sound great!

Love when JP stands on his footrest and then stands on the drum riser. I don't ever recall seeing him ever do either.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #125 on: September 28, 2011, 12:17:57 PM »
As said in earlier posts, Dream theater was out of this world!!  I was gonna go to this show by myself, a two and a half hour drive. My wife decided to go with me about 10 minutes before I left, which was a treat. I thought the show was sold out, but we found a guy who had extra two tix because his friends backed out. So we had great center seats on balcony. My wife was sooo glad she went with me. She said that was the most fun she had in a long time and she is now a renewed DT fan! She almost broke into tears when they played beneath the surface. How cool!
  The band was flawless and what a fantastic light show! The only problem was the sound guys couldn't get the lows sounding right and was too boomy and drown out James vocals alot of the time. There was a tremendous amount of bassy feedback especially the first two songs. Even throughout the whole show, whenever there was double bass on the drums, it was painfully boomy with no compression or noisegate. Mike Mangini deserves a better sound technician than that, as he played top notch last night.  No complaints about the band, but they need to have a serious talk with the sound man!  Last time I saw DT, the sound was mixed near perfect, so theres no excuse for a band of that caliber to have a bad sound mix. DT has too much dynamics for that!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #126 on: September 28, 2011, 12:37:41 PM »
The only other thing, the curfew for the moore was 11:00. They had plenty of time to throw in a epic encore. The absence of BAI was a bit of a bummer. At least we got to see Dream Theater though, so I can't really complain.   :hat
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #127 on: September 28, 2011, 12:44:16 PM »
I drove back to Portland last night after the show and could only get 3 hours of sleep, so I'm a little disoriented, but here are some of my reactions.
-This was my first time at the Moore Theater and I was really impressed; it's a very cheerful and elegant place.
-Despite an enthusiastic performance and a good ability to work the crowd, I just could not get into Trivium.
-In between sets, I talked to the couple sitting next to me, and we discussed Queensryche, Saigon Kick, Duran Duran, Stryper, Savatage, and Depeche Mode, so that was very awesome, especially considering how I've never had much luck in meeting people who share my musical tastes.
-I enjoyed the animated intro, but I was missing the theme from Psycho!
-I resisted the urges to check out the setlists from the previous shows so I had absolutely no idea what to expect. So I became ecstatic when I heard the opening to Bridges in the Sky. I was really hoping to hear that one last night.
-Mike Mangini definitely won everybody over last night--holy shit, that guy is incredible!!
-My favorite part of the night was probably Beneath the Surface. I think that's one of the most gorgeous and emotional pieces in their career (along with Far from Heaven), and I am hoping it will be a crowd favorite in future years--it would give me chills to hear that with the whole audience singing along.
-I was in the balcony and I wish people up there had been a tad more energetic. I thought for sure once Fatal Tragedy began, everybody would stand up and go crazy, but no, they were stuck to their chairs for most of the night.
-The Great Debate is a spectacular song but I've always found it to be a bit of a mood-killer live. Maybe that's just because the entire Six Degrees album is unbelievably depressing in my opinion (I still love it though of course).
-I'm sure I say this after every time I see them, but I think this is the best James has ever sounded :)
-I was also very happy to hear Outcry, Endless Sacrifice, The Silent Man, and Under a Glass Moon.
-I was positively giddy after the show, walking around downtown on a beautiful autumn night, seeing Dream Theater, Queensryche, and Rush shirts everywhere!
 :metal      :tup

Offline Catcher10

« Reply #128 on: September 28, 2011, 12:45:30 PM »
I'll chime in with pretty much the same as most are posting here about the show last night. My family and I got to the venue at about 2:30 and it paid off nicely, 2nd row in the real seats (behind the M&G folding seats) Petrucci side.
It was a prog metal blitzkrieg!!!! I am sooo happy we got Under A Glass Moon rather than Pull Me Under as encore.....sure BAI would have been nice but I am not complaining.
Biggest issue was not being able to hear LaBrie for the songs already mentioned. Myung was a beast.......Mangini was very good...I'm also glad that we gave him a good reception, I think he was very pleased. I have not put my finger on it yet but there was something "missing" in this show and with Portnoy behind the kit normally.......I am perfectly fine with Mangini, there is just something askew.

I have to give serious props to the Seattle crowd on this show.......I think we showed the boyz that Seattle can be a prog rock/prog metal regular stop. You could see how LaBrie and Petrucci were feeding off the mayhem that was going on in the crowd. Many nods of approval by Petrucci......and everytime LaBrie asked for us to sing along, I think we hit a HR each time for him.......Its good that people actually know some of their lyrics.

Great job Seattle.......I have renewed faith for future prog in Seattle!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #129 on: September 28, 2011, 12:51:50 PM »
BMU BMD kicks so much ass on these youtube videos, I can't wait to see it live.  :smiley:

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: September 28, 2011, 12:53:43 PM »
Fantastic show! Very glad I made the trip up from Portland.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: September 28, 2011, 01:05:29 PM »
Thanks for the videos Lloyd2112DT, great job!
Great feedback from everyone, I'm getting more excited about my dates everyday.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #132 on: September 28, 2011, 01:12:54 PM »
Great videos Lloyd! And... you have a PM!   :)
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
« Reply #133 on: September 28, 2011, 02:00:30 PM »
Great show! First off, it was great to see Cool Chris again, and it was also great to have the pleasure of meeting bondrkm. Not very often I get to have a full on music conversation with folks who share the same type of musical tastes as me, thanks guys!

I got in line as the doors were opening, but was still able to find a nice seat on the floor, center row, about 15 rows back. Unfortunately, because of where I was seated, Jordan was eclipsed from view for a good portion of the set by Myung. I agree with all who have mentioned James was tough to hear at points.

The stage presence from the whole band was refreshing, especially Petrucci. I loved when he was standing on his foot stand, that was funny stuff. I'm 100% with everyone who's said that JP looks much more confident singing back-up vox, and seems to be really embracing his role as the leader in the band. There were too many times to mention when he came to the front of the stage to pump up the crowd in some way.

But it wasn't just Petrucci. Myung was grooving all night, James was energetic and seemed very comfortable, Jordan was Jordan, and Mangini has an infectious personality that seemingly eminates from behind his kit.

Trivium weren't too bad. I can't see myself ever purchasing one of their CD's, but they weren't unenjoyable. I noticed that the lead singer would occaisonally go and sing on he bassist's or guitarist's mic, I have never seen that before, is that common?

It's a shame to hear that the balcony wasn't too lively. On the floor, I'd say 90% of us were standing for the entire set, including myself. However, it seemed that those around me didn't know the new album all that well. For example, during the intro music of Outcry, I was going apeshit  :lol but I seemed to be the only one around who knew what song was coming. I was also a bit dissapointed with the overall reception of Outcry. I thought they did a killer job on the song, and people seemed generally underwhelmed.

I think I've typed long enough, so I'll just finish by saying that James' mic stand kicks ass.
I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #134 on: September 28, 2011, 02:15:57 PM »
I think one of the absolute coolest moments of the whole show for me was seeing both John's playing shoulder to shoulder during the instrumental of Endless Sacrifice. I couldn't help but smile the entire time.

Also, Mike Mangini has such a contagious laugh/smile. I am loving this guy.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #135 on: September 28, 2011, 03:05:28 PM »
The vids were great, the band was in top form, and the intro vid was pretty funny.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #136 on: September 28, 2011, 03:23:31 PM »
Sorry, man.  But they can't please everybody.  Maybe they'll do a DVD at the end of the tour and you'll get to see it that way.

They should schedule 1 Evening With show and record it for DVD (3-hour set  :metal)

Offline GavinMangini89

• BEES!!!!!
« Reply #137 on: September 28, 2011, 03:38:00 PM »
Oh man, i don't even have words that sum up how awesome last night was, but here it goes. Third time seeing them and it was THE CHARM!! Much better than Prog Nation 2008, and IM/DT tours combined. Due to showing up at 3 in the afternoon, we had first row right in front of Myung! Great venue, great acoustics. TSM/BTS was one of most intense parts of the set. Very much reminded me of Resist/Heart Full of Soul from R30, but better IMO. Mangini is the perfect replacement for Portnoy, this guy is practically perfect in every way (and incredibly short in real life).  When they welcomed him, we cheered for what seemed like forever, and he had the most grateful look on his face and literally lit up. When James tried to interrupt and go on with the set, we just kept cheering for Mangini. Also, UAGM was the perfect encore! You guys who have yet to see this tour are in for a real treat! :D
Man seeks a good time, but he is not a hedonist! He seeks love, he just doesnt know where to look. He looks under the beds of whores and in the hot stem of a crack pipe. But he should look to nature; gentle aquatic mammals have all the answers!

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #138 on: September 28, 2011, 03:40:25 PM »
Sorry, man.  But they can't please everybody.  Maybe they'll do a DVD at the end of the tour and you'll get to see it that way.

They should schedule 1 Evening With show and record it for DVD (3-hour set  :metal)
This.

Announcing that a single show would be an evening with and that it would be filmed for a DVD would sell out, regardless of size. Hell, I would go anywhere in North America to see that.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Hoppipolla

• Rise up, Be counted
  • Trapped inside this....
« Reply #139 on: September 28, 2011, 07:12:49 PM »
First, thanks to the guys for posting the setlist as I text them. Sorry there was no real surprises to everyone who was checking the thread during the show.  ::)

Second, your videos look awesome Lloyd! I can't wait to watch them all at work tomorrow. I wish I had known they weren't doing patdowns or bag checks, I would have snuck in my HD Canon handicam. I own $6000 in video equipment and film bands in my spare time. I just don't bother trying to sneak anything in anymore because most places check bags and give the standard patdown upon entry.

This was my second DT show, my first being last year's one-off show in Portland where they didn't have their lighting or video equipment. What a difference those two things makes! I got to the venue 2 1/2 hours before doors and the line was already snaked around the building and half a block long! I hadn't been in line for more then 3 minutes before Jordan came out of the backdoor of the building. I didn't really know what to say other then "amazing album" ...I was starstruck which was a first for me. He's my favorite member of DT and seeing him after only being there for 3-4 minutes really caught me off guard. I did get an awesome picture with him though.

I just couldn't get into Trivium. Glad to see they had a lot of support from people going to the show specifically to see them though. I thought initially it was an awkward pairing (DT & Trivium) but I guess it isn't so strange. Surprised to see some people actually LEAVE after Trivium. Blew my mind.  :justjen

DT were absolutely on point and hitting on all cylinders. I think I was the only one who knew the words to most of the ADTOE songs but the crowd was definitely digging the newer stuff just as much as the older jams. Bridges is a really good opener. I was BLOWN AWAY during Endless Sacrifice. That is one of my favorite songs and to hear them play it live was really something. And to play it flawlessly too!Mike Mangini is a beast!!!! One hell of a drum solo by that man. Not that he had to, but he has definitely proved to be worthy of being MP's successor  :metal . I thought that the acoustic spot was really well done. I would have much preferred Wait for Sleep over The Silent Man, but I'm not complaining! But we did get Beneath the Surface which was perhaps my favorite song on the night. I'm a sucker for DT's softer stuff I suppose. Debate was excellent but like others said, James' vocals were very quiet at times. He was having some feedback issues if he went too close to the edge of the stage it sounded like. Outcry was my favorite song of the night because it is my favorite song on ADTOE. Under a Glass Moon was actually a pretty cool encore. I thought it might be strange initially but I really dug it live.

All in all, this was bar far the best concert I've ever seen. I can't wait to see them again. I'm very glad to see the band getting some well deserved publicity and recognition for how amazing ADTOE is.

Oh yeah, my vids:

The Silent Man -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4TkGEiToro

Beneath the Surface -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9Qp7R2QVz0