Author Topic: 2011-09-27 - Moore Theatre - Seattle, WA  (Read 36731 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
2011-09-27 - Moore Theatre - Seattle, WA
« on: August 04, 2011, 11:03:23 AM »
Might as well start one for Seattle. Anyone here going? I've never been to Showbox Sodo, even when the space was used for other bars/clubs.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 11:05:25 AM by cyberdrummer »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline psychdoc

Re: 2011-09-27 - Seattle, WA
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 11:04:48 PM »
I will be there; bought my tickets today via the presale.

I must say that I'm not the biggest fan of Showbox Sodo. I would have preferred for Dream Theater to play the Showbox at Pike Place Market; it's just a much better venue with better acoustics. I've seen Coheed and Cambria and Nightwish at Showbox Sodo and the acoustics just weren't tremendous.

All that said, I am excited about seeing Dream Theater again (this will be my 7th time seeing them going all the way back to the Images & Words tour in St. Louis back in 1993), and based on the live clips of the European festival show leg, the band is just kicking on all cylinders right now. It should be one hell of a show, inspite of the venue.  :metal

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 09:12:09 AM »
I thought the market Showbox is much smaller though? The only time I've seen DT in Seattle was at the Moore. Totally different type of venue, but I like seeing shows there.

I just saw this on the Showbox's website under DT's 'event details.'   :facepalm:

Octavarium is not only the eighth studio album from progressive heavy rockers Dream Theater, but it also marks 20 years of existence for this majestic outfit. "It's pretty incredible," says drummer Mike Portnoy, "Especially given the nature of what we do. I think maybe that's probably been the secret to our longevity, is that we've never fit in. But it's still incredible that here we are, 20 years later, and we're not one of those bands that's just sticking around on the downslide. We're still growing and progressing with each album and tour."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline psychdoc

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 11:05:57 AM »
I thought the market Showbox is much smaller though? The only time I've seen DT in Seattle was at the Moore. Totally different type of venue, but I like seeing shows there.

I just saw this on the Showbox's website under DT's 'event details.'   :facepalm:

Octavarium is not only the eighth studio album from progressive heavy rockers Dream Theater, but it also marks 20 years of existence for this majestic outfit. "It's pretty incredible," says drummer Mike Portnoy, "Especially given the nature of what we do. I think maybe that's probably been the secret to our longevity, is that we've never fit in. But it's still incredible that here we are, 20 years later, and we're not one of those bands that's just sticking around on the downslide. We're still growing and progressing with each album and tour."

I don't even know what to say about that idiotic quote, other than you'd hope that the booking folks would do at least a little bit of homework.

Showbox at the Market is only a little smaller. I've seen a bunch of shows there, including Opeth. The layout is different, but I think both venues hold a little over 1,000 people. Sodo may hold 100-200 more people than the Market. I have yet to see a show at the Moore, and I would have loved for them to play there.

Offline bondrkm

• And still the orchestra plays.....
Re: 2011-09-27 - Showbox SODO - Seattle, WA
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 08:49:47 PM »
I got my ticket the other day, can't wait!  I do find this to be a strange venue for them.  I'd prefer the theater setting of the Moore or Paramount, but oh well, just glad to see them.

Offline replicon

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 12:16:50 AM »
I live in Seattle, so of course, I'll be going. :)

The setlist on wikipedia doesn't include songs from Dramatic Turn of Events - is that just implied, or are they not playing that stuff on this tour? Or maybe they haven't so far, but will on the events AFTER the album comes out...

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 05:29:10 PM »
I live in Seattle, so of course, I'll be going. :)

Thrown off as others are about the venue. Obviously a smaller venue is going to be more intimate, which is obviously cool. But this was the first time I was prepared to shell out the money for really good seats, possibly even the Meet and Greet, but with GA, I wouldn't be guaranteed that seat in the first five rows as I normally would be.
I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline Plissken

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 08:59:09 PM »
This will be my first DT concert so I'm pretty excited, but I'm very bummed by the venue. The yelp reviews are unanimous in saying that the showbox sodo is horrible: power hungry and abusive bouncers, horrid acoustics, packed tight like sardines.

Given that I have tinnitus and I almost died from being unable to breathe at the last concert I went to, I'll probably be in the back with earplugs.

Btw, I don't go to many concerts, but I was wondering if the setlist is known at the time? I see the thread setlists and dates but can't find anything about seattle setlist or a wiki that replicon is referring to.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
Re: 2011-09-27 - Moore Theatre - Seattle, WA
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 11:05:44 AM »
This show has been moved to the Moore Theatre.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 12:43:37 PM »
This show has been moved to the Moore Theatre.

Whoa... and I would have known this without checking this thread how? Thanks you guys!

Glad to see the move though, and the response here warrants the upgrade.

Offline bondrkm

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 01:09:40 PM »
I got my ticket the other day, can't wait!  I do find this to be a strange venue for them.  I'd prefer the theater setting of the Moore or Paramount, but oh well, just glad to see them.
So it looks like I get my wish.  Extremely excited about the venue change!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 01:12:23 PM by cyberdrummer »

Offline bondrkm

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 01:51:59 PM »
I just got an email back from the Moore/Paramout boxoffice.  I asked if the tickets purchased at the Showbox could be exchanged for a reserved seat.  Here is there response:
"Your Showbox ticket will be good for general admission seating on the main floor at the Moore for the Dream Theater show"

Offline Plissken

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 07:28:26 PM »
bondrkm, do you know if those who purchased sodo tickets get to reserve? Someone on the facebook page said "We will have first come first served access to the floor level seating which will be general admission but seated."

Glad to see the venue changed :)

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 10:10:17 AM »
It looks like The Moore Theater has gotten excellent reviews online for the most part, and from the photos, it seems like a beautiful place to see Dream Theater. I am so excited!!! I'll be coming from Portland so hopefully the rush hour traffic won't be too brutal. So had the previous venue already sold out and that's why it was moved?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 12:03:57 PM »
I'll be coming from Portland so hopefully the rush hour traffic won't be too brutal.

Never been to Seattle, have you?  :lol

I've never come from the south in to Seattle on a weeknight, so maybe another local can help out. The Moore is great, I saw DT there in 2004, but I was in the nose bleed section.

I might have an extra ticket if anyone wants one. It was purchased when it was scheduled at the Showbox so assuming this holds true...

"Your Showbox ticket will be good for general admission seating on the main floor at the Moore for the Dream Theater show"

Offline bondrkm

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2011, 12:24:55 PM »
bondrkm, do you know if those who purchased sodo tickets get to reserve? Someone on the facebook page said "We will have first come first served access to the floor level seating which will be general admission but seated."

Glad to see the venue changed :)
I don't know anything more, sorry.  I tried to find a number to actually talk to a human, but didn't have much luck.  Although the email reply back was very quick. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2011, 01:38:48 PM »
It looks like The Moore Theater has gotten excellent reviews online for the most part, and from the photos, it seems like a beautiful place to see Dream Theater. I am so excited!!! I'll be coming from Portland so hopefully the rush hour traffic won't be too brutal. So had the previous venue already sold out and that's why it was moved?

It's a pretty good venue, although the last show I saw there was in 2001.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2011, 01:27:20 PM »
Whoa... and I would have known this without checking this thread how? Thanks you guys!

Seriously. However, I have fond memories of DT at the Moore, (3/2/04, A Change of Seasons encore anyone)? So it'll be cool to see them there again. But what kinda bugs me, is that I was prepared to shell out the cash for the meet and greet this time around, which guarantees you a seat in the first five rows... but of course with a GA show, that would be pointless. So maybe next time around.

And @Dittomist: Traffic coming into Seattle from the south on weekdays isn't great, probably about the same as coming into Portland from the south on I-5 (not just a guess, I know PDX well). If I were you, I would leave Portland by 2:00 at the latest, but I am a pre-funker  :laugh:.

And bosky in Seattle, who knew?
I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2011, 04:09:07 AM »
So, setlist for this show: will we see the A setlist from San Francisco, a new C setlist, or a mixture of A and B?

Offline Catcher10

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2011, 09:51:50 AM »
So, setlist for this show: will we see the A setlist from San Francisco, a new C setlist, or a mixture of A and B?

I am hoping for a mix of A and B........I prefer the last half of the B setlist LA got.....that is amazing!! Seems like they are trying to stay away from the long 20+ single song.

I think for Seattle to appreciate DT they need to hear either Octavarium or The Count.....that would show their prog prowness for sure.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2011, 10:04:01 AM »

This Is The Life instead of the acoustic spot, Lost Not Forgotten to close the set and Learning To Live to close the show.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Hoppipolla

• Rise up, Be counted
  • Trapped inside this....
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2011, 11:12:03 AM »
Does anyone want to meet up before the show? I'll be getting there around 5pm or so. I'll be the biggest guy there most likely, I've a hefty dude. Probably be wearing all black.

As for the set, If I hear Wait for Sleep live I could probably die a happy man. Of course, I also want to hear Breaking all Illusions AND Beneath the surface. Pretty sure we won't get all 3, but I would be happy with any combo of the two.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2011, 11:24:37 AM »
And bosky in Seattle, who knew?

Yeah, I was there for Queensryche's Live Evolution shows.  I was also hoping I would get to go again for becoming a finalist in the "sing with Queensryche" contest is...when was that again?  2007?  :lol  Oh well.  My Neon Knights demo still knocked it out of the park, as Susan Tate said herself.

Anyhow, does anyone know whether this show is sold out?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2011, 12:08:41 PM »
Dammit I was hoping not to see any potential setlist spoilers in this thread.

Bosk1, I had an extra GA ticket that I sold online. I had 5 inquiries so I assume those are sold out, but hadn't checked. Might be balcony seats available.

Hoppipolla, Laich21DT and I might be meeting up beforehand, but there is nothing organized.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2011, 12:15:38 PM »
Bosk1, I had an extra GA ticket that I sold online. I had 5 inquiries so I assume those are sold out, but hadn't checked. Might be balcony seats available.

Thanks.  I wasn't thinking about coming up for the show.  But just for very selfish reasons, I really hope they sell out this venue in particular.

Offline Catcher10

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2011, 12:26:02 PM »
I believe the show is just about sold out......All the GA floor is gone since that is the previous Showbox tickets. Not sure on my plans for a meetup......we all will be there around 5pm'ish.....Try and get to the doors by 6pm.

Offline bondrkm

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2011, 01:42:00 PM »
Does anyone want to meet up before the show? I'll be getting there around 5pm or so. I'll be the biggest guy there most likely, I've a hefty dude. Probably be wearing all black.
I might be interested in meeting up.  I'll be there around 4ish, probably be looking for a bite to eat and a beer to drink ;D  I'll most likely be wearing a black SFAM T-shirt.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2011, 03:45:05 PM »
I'm still having trouble finding a job....so with the day off I will probably be down there most of the day.  Anyone else going to be there early??
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Catcher10

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2011, 08:54:08 PM »
Anyone have pics of the shirts for sale?

Offline dongringo

« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2011, 09:44:38 PM »

Thanks.  I wasn't thinking about coming up for the show.  But just for very selfish reasons, I really hope they sell out this venue in particular.

:rollin

I can guess what those reasons are...cough...QR...cough...
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline GavinMangini89

• BEES!!!!!
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2011, 05:29:50 AM »
Hey, so the SoDo was GA. I've never been to The Kevin Moore Theater (punpunpunpun). Does anyone know how this venue works? Is it cattle-call for seats? First come, first serve?

On a related note: GODAMNIT, THIS IS GOING TO BE AWESOME!!!! Third time seeing them and from what you guys have said from the Cali shows, this should be ballin'! :D
Man seeks a good time, but he is not a hedonist! He seeks love, he just doesnt know where to look. He looks under the beds of whores and in the hot stem of a crack pipe. But he should look to nature; gentle aquatic mammals have all the answers!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2011, 07:21:38 AM »

:rollin

I can guess what those reasons are...cough...QR...cough...

I have no idea what you are talking about.  :innocent:

Offline Hoppipolla

• Rise up, Be counted
  • Trapped inside this....
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2011, 09:23:57 AM »
I have a GA tix and I actually think I'd rather sit in the balcony. I've never been to this venue though so I don't know what seating is like.

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2011, 10:20:51 AM »
Tonight is the night!

Probably will get down there at about 5:00. Most likely will hit up the bar across the street to the NW side of the Moore before the show. Will be wearing a DT 25th anniversary shirt.