Author Topic: Andrew “Mac” McDermott: R.I.P  (Read 2384 times)

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
Andrew “Mac” McDermott: R.I.P
« on: August 04, 2011, 06:33:30 AM »
Former singer of Threshold died at the age of 45.
Just have a German source so far: https://www.rocks-magazin.de/neu/meldungen/artikel/andrew_mac_mcdermott_r.i.p/

:(
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Andrew “Mac” McDermott: R.I.P
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 07:05:31 AM »
WTF??  I just received Thershold's Critical Mass in the mail today too.  How did this happen, he was so young.  An amazing singer, that did amazing work with Threshold.  What a sad day.  A tragic loss :'(
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 07:06:34 AM »
https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=161551

Andrew "Mac" McDermott, the former lead singer of U.K. progressive metallers THRESHOLD, reportedly passed away in England yesterday (Wednesday, August 3). A condolences page has been launched at this location.

McDermott had "serious health problems" in the months leading up to his death, according to a June 2011 statement from the German melodic metal band POWERWORLD, with whom McDermott recorded the 2010 album "Human Parasite".

"I'm very sad about our big loss," POWERWORLD bassist Ilker Ersin stated about his former bandmate's passing. "I can't find the right words in this moment."

:'(

Online T-ski

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 09:29:47 AM »
very sad.  I love Threshold.  RIP Mac.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 09:31:24 AM »
RIP Mac.  I'll listen to some Threshold today.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 09:41:45 AM »
I saw "Re: Andrew “Mac” McDermo..." in the most recent threads thing and just went "oh no please dear god no." It didn't work. :/

I'd not listened to Threshold in ages, but for some reason Change lodged itself in my head two days ago and refused to go away - been quietly singing it to myself for however long. The Guilded Cage by Yargos, too, which I only bought 'cause I really loved his voice.

Shit and arse and pants. Absolutely gutted. Going to have to follow my head and listen to it today. Jesus.

...Shit.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 03:27:49 PM »
That really sucks, he had a great voice. :(

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 05:23:38 PM »
NP: Threshold - Freaks  :'(

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 06:47:42 PM »
Awesome voice and a terrible loss.

RIP Mac.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline CrimsonE

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 05:46:22 AM »
What a shame.  I picked up Hypothetical in 2000 on a whim because I loved the album cover, and the music inside was some of the best progressive metal work I had ever heard.  That was in no small thanks to Mac's soaring vocals.  I was very disappointed when Mac left the band shortly before ProgPower 07 because Threshold was one of the reasons why I was going.  Although I'll never get to see Mac live, I can still pop in any of his albums and recognize what a great vocalist he was.

Thanks, and we'll miss you. 
In the heart of your most solemn barren night
When your souls turn inside out
Have you questioned all the madness you invite?
What your life is all about

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 06:26:03 AM »
Andrew "Mac" McDermott, the former lead singer of U.K. progressive metallers THRESHOLD, passed away in England on Wednesday, August 3. He succumbed to kidney failure after spending four days in a coma. He was only 45 years old.

McDermott had "serious health problems" in the months leading up to his death, according to a June 2011 statement from the German melodic metal band POWERWORLD, with whom McDermott recorded the 2010 album "Human Parasite".

Commented THRESHOLD guitarist Karl Groom: "Mac played a large part in the story of THRESHOLD and appeared on five studio albums. He also sang on numerous fan club releases and live albums. Although I have not seen him since 2007 for the last video shoot in Leipzig, he still remains in our minds and there is a big sense of loss. I have spoken to and seen ex-members of the band over the last two days who are all very saddened by this turn of events. We remember Mac as being so vibrant and full of life, so find this news is hard to accept."

Added THRESHOLD keyboard player Richard West: "Mac had such a big personality and one of the world's greatest rock voices, it's so very sad that we lost him so young. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and loved ones."

Stated Ilker Ersin of POWERWORLD: "A friend is gone! We are very sad about our big loss. We can't find the right words in this moment. Our sympathy and condolence goes to his family. The world lost a gently, nice, honest and warm-hearted person. We will miss him."

https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=161598

Offline Arnold Layne

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 06:52:29 AM »
I'm a huge Threshold fan and might never have become one had it not been for Mac.  As a vocalist and lifelong fan of harmony and blend I loved the way he was able to sing with himself in Threshold recordings and create the huge sound that Groom and West wanted but didn't completely realise until Mac joined.  For the uninitiated, listen to Freaks, Light and Space or Mission Profile (or many others songs for that matter) to hear what I mean.

A sad loss to the prog metal scene.

Offline James007

• Beatles Apologist
  • Waiting for the new Threshold album.
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 03:39:56 PM »
This is a shock.  I had heard that he had "health issues" but who ever knows what that means.  Mac had a golden voice and he will be sorely missed. 
It was there right before our eyes, we were blind not to realize
In the rush to be globalized we signed away our freedom
We forgot how to criticize, we were scared to be demonized
As the truth was neutralized we lost the art of reason.

- Threshold "The Art of Reason"