Author Topic: 2011-10-26 - Bass Concert Hall - Austin, TX  (Read 12899 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: 2011-10-26 - Bass Concert Hall - Austin, TX
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2011, 09:39:46 AM »
Video anywhere?  I did a quick YouTube search, but didn't see anything.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2011, 09:45:01 AM »
I didn't take any & didn't see anyone filming that early in the show but something might turn up.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Crash

« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2011, 10:10:49 AM »
Video anywhere?  I did a quick YouTube search, but didn't see anything.

I was surprised how many cameras and vids I saw going... surely there is something out there.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2011, 06:37:52 AM »
no center or middle aisles in the venue, so security had no way of checking on people recording, as they were 60 seats inward and inaccessible.

surprisingly, i thought i would see more video taken by the folks around me, but surely some snipits will appear.

Offline AtmosphericV

• wilderness
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2011, 09:11:09 AM »
Everyone knows its Butters!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2011, 10:37:54 AM »
no center or middle aisles in the venue, so security had no way of checking on people recording, as they were 60 seats inward and inaccessible.

surprisingly, i thought i would see more video taken by the folks around me, but surely some snipits will appear.

Did your M&G package get you good seats?  I saw plenty of laminates up in the first two rows.  Ironically,  you might have been better off around row 5 or so, than closer.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2011, 06:08:05 PM »
I saw what El Barto saw.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2011, 10:59:30 PM »
Just got home, what a trip and how fun. First time seeing Dream Theater after years of being a huge fan and first time seeing a band two night on a row in two different cities. And first time "road trip" type of drive.
Met El Barto in the garage before the Austin show and watched the Dallas standing next to him by a stroke of luck! He doesn't complain when you bump into him if you're headbanging and an extremely fun company all together. Met Dream Theater after the Austin show and took crappy iPhone pictures but got them all to sign the tour book for me.
Me: Hi John!
JMX: Hi!
Me: You guys sounded amazing.
JMX: Thanks!
Signed the tour book and went to the next guy.
LaBrie signed my tour book after and was such a friendly and welcoming person.
I was speechless with JR cause he suddenly appeared behind me when I was looking behind me talking to my wife. You know the old story you're talking to your wife and you turn around to find JR appeared in front of you. Just shook his hand and got my tour book signed and got a picture with him.
Me: Welcome to the band!
Mangini: Thanks for being welcoming.
I wanted to say to JP "You gotta release this insane show on BluRay" but decided it was weird to sound demanding which I now think was stupid. Instead I had the same exact conversation with him as I did with JMX.
B to the uetiful night. A metal night but an elegant one :lol

EDIT:

« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 11:42:44 PM by metty »
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2011, 03:43:01 PM »
Something interesting just happened. I was having lunch with my brother-in-law who came to the Austin show with us and mentioned casually how we're looking for a video for the BiTS incident and he told me with a mouth full of Cheinse food "Oh I got that on my phone" :lol. Turns out he was shooting a video of the intro and he got it! I saw the video, it's not Petrucci focused but you see JMX's moment of "wtf JP" heh
I'll upload it along with the other videos he got with his phone in a few :)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2011, 04:48:21 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTsBnKGknPY
JMX ultimate wtf moment. Shot by my brother-in-law next to me.

Offline Crash

« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2011, 05:03:37 PM »
Well, you guys argue all you want. It was an A/B box set on the wrong side, not Petrucci's volume knob. The youtube video shows Maddi walking over and stepping on it. I confirmed it with the monitor engineer.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2011, 07:00:19 PM »
This would be pretty historical if it was both things.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2011, 07:10:17 AM »
Well, you guys argue all you want. It was an A/B box set on the wrong side, not Petrucci's volume knob. The youtube video shows Maddi walking over and stepping on it. I confirmed it with the monitor engineer.

I also heard directly from someone who was on the stage that night that it was solely a problem with the A/B box and nothing else.

But in any case, it's live rock & roll.  Stuff happens.   :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Crash

« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2011, 08:10:00 AM »

I also heard directly from someone who was on the stage that night that it was solely a problem with the A/B box and nothing else.

But in any case, it's live rock & roll.  Stuff happens.   :lol

Live is always full of surprises. I believe that the gig at the Beacon (not totally sure on which venue) had the entire rig go down for about a minute. Imagine being dead in the water while getting everything patched over to the backup.... ouch.

I was listening to JP's ear mix the entire night so I heard what he heard. Guitar world was about five feet in front of me and his two cabs were directly to my right about seven feet or so. I watched Maddi walk out there, as seen on the video, and set it right.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2011, 12:21:33 PM »
Never been to the Bass before, but I never went to UT and kind of stay away from the campus when I can so...

We had really good seats, Orch Row D.  Great show, we all looked at each other when JP's guitar didn't quite work at the beginning.  Oops!  :lol

It was so great to see how HAPPY the guys were, compared to their demeanor during the Iron Maiden shows.  Although, I heard some jackass behind us yell "Bring Mike back!" :yeahright

Great show, but I'm having a hard time deciding which show I enjoyed better.  :lol

Offline Martinman300

« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2011, 04:23:34 PM »
From the videos I've seen, JLB was AMAZING at this show!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2011, 04:32:21 PM »
Never been to the Bass before, but I never went to UT and kind of stay away from the campus when I can so...

I thought the campus was pretty neat and walking around was really nice.

It was so great to see how HAPPY the guys were, compared to their demeanor during the Iron Maiden shows.  Although, I heard some jackass behind us yell "Bring Mike back!" :yeahright

Oh shit I wish that guy was sitting closer to me and I heard that. I would have countered it with endless Mangini cheers :lol "Mangini where have you been all our lives!!" just to annoy the fucker heh

From the videos I've seen, JLB was AMAZING at this show!

Truth. He was on freakin fire. When an instrumental section was nearly up -like in Endless Sacrifice- you'd see him jumping up in excitement from his little sitting area on the right of the drums.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2011, 12:31:57 PM »

I thought the campus was pretty neat and walking around was really nice.

Yeah, I have to admit that UT does have a really cool layout.  There's just WAY too many peeps there sometimes (well DUH, DK, it's a friggin COLLEGE... :P).

Oh shit I wish that guy was sitting closer to me and I heard that. I would have countered it with endless Mangini cheers :lol "Mangini where have you been all our lives!!" just to annoy the fucker heh

Oh, trust me--after telling my guy about it, he wanted to kick Dude's ass. :xbones :metal

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2011, 05:29:33 AM »
Was the venue packed? 'Cause it seems preatty big... (2900 seats)

Offline Crash

« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2011, 06:07:22 AM »
Was the venue packed? 'Cause it seems preatty big... (2900 seats)

No, looking in the house from on stage there was a lot of empty seats in the balconies.  Here is a pic preshow from on stage, there were a few in the 2nd balcony and I think the top was not even opened.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2011, 06:38:38 AM »
Thanks Crash!
Even if what you've said is not that good...

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2011, 03:04:18 PM »
The second balcony was indeed open, although it was hard to see the attendees there because they were so friggin high up.  Matt of Trivium even marveled in surprise halfway through his set when he first noticed that there were fans in the second balcony.  I beleive the SIDE seats on the balcony were closed though.

From my vantage point, the Orchestra was fairly full, did not see many empty seats, although Row D in front of me had about 8 empty seats (which i assume were unsold Tour/M&G packages)

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2011, 08:26:56 PM »
From my vantage point, the Orchestra was fairly full, did not see many empty seats, although Row D in front of me had about 8 empty seats (which i assume were unsold Tour/M&G packages)

Was that before DT took the stage or after?  We were in Row D and I didn't notice any empty seats after we decided to go into the hall itself, but then again I was really only paying attention to the stage after we took our seats.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2011, 02:13:24 AM »
Now that I think of it it was like only four or five seats in Row D (seats 120 - 125) that were unusesd during DT's set.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2011, 12:20:16 PM »
I think we had 115-119.