Author Topic: Mangini : We only rehearsed twice for the tour!  (Read 9258 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Mangini : We only rehearsed twice for the tour!
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2011, 01:23:26 PM »
I mean the ones that were borderline insulting.  I watched it last night, but wasn't there a question like, "So, are you not mixing up the setlist anymore?  Is it because you can't learn all the material?"

I don't think it was phrased by that, but it's a fair question. His answer was very revealing. Now we know why they haven't changed setlists like they used to, since just about all of us assumed it was because of him not knowing enough songs.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2011, 01:24:22 PM »
He's one respectful dude. "I can't speak for him, you'd have to talk to John about that" Hopefully, next time around, he speaks more openly about albums. But for, he's great to listen to. He's very passionate.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2011, 01:26:19 PM »
I mean the ones that were borderline insulting.  I watched it last night, but wasn't there a question like, "So, are you not mixing up the setlist anymore?  Is it because you can't learn all the material?"

I think it was just lack of tact by the interviewer who obviously didn't know English too well.  Like, I think his intention when asking the question was to say "One thing the fanbase has been talking about a lot with this tour is the lack of a rotating setlist.  Was this done so you wouldn't be overwhelmed with new material to learn?"

You can take that as an insult if you want, but that question in and of itself isn't an attempt to insult.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Ħ

« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2011, 01:27:13 PM »

I think it was just lack of tact by the interviewer who obviously didn't know English too well.  Like, I think his intention when asking the question was to say "One thing the fanbase has been talking about a lot with this tour is the lack of a rotating setlist.  Was this done so you wouldn't be overwhelmed with new material to learn?"

You can take that as an insult if you want, but that question in and of itself isn't an attempt to insult.
Yeah.  Maybe I was more weirded out by that than Mangini was.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Chrissalix

« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2011, 01:46:46 PM »

Don't read too much into the wording of the questions. That interviewer was VERY Austrian and his command of English was shaky at best. He probably didn't mean it like that.

Offline Elaitch

« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2011, 02:12:58 PM »
I don't quite believe the story behind the album name. So supposedly JP chose the album name without intentionally wanting to refer to Portnoy leaving?

Come on... I mean, he's not that stupid. Of course it's meant to be a nudge. Especially if he actually chose it among others. I'm not saying I don't believe it's meant to mainly be a summary title for the general lyric material, but I have a hard time believing the Portnoy situation didn't have anything to do with it...

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2011, 02:41:59 PM »
I don't quite believe the story behind the album name. So supposedly JP chose the album name without intentionally wanting to refer to Portnoy leaving?

Come on... I mean, he's not that stupid. Of course it's meant to be a nudge. Especially if he actually chose it among others. I'm not saying I don't believe it's meant to mainly be a summary title for the general lyric material, but I have a hard time believing the Portnoy situation didn't have anything to do with it...

You do understand that you're basically calling JP a liar, right?

Offline Blackfield

« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2011, 02:49:40 PM »

So what? Of course they would want people to link the name of the record to MPs departure, otherwise they wouldn't have chosen that name. For whatever reason.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2011, 02:54:14 PM »

THROW THE MAN IN JAIL!

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2011, 02:57:40 PM »
I refuse to believe nothing on the album is about MP until I hear all the lyrics.  It's not in DT's interest to say in their PR "Yeah, this one song we basically wrote about it."
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Elaitch

« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2011, 02:58:38 PM »

I'm not. I'm merely implying he's not telling the entire truth :P

Offline MetropolisxPt1

« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2011, 03:39:58 PM »

I have to agree their is no way that the title has nothing to do with MP the entire "breakup" was a dramatic turn of events.

Offline JimmyJava

• Swear my skin is inside out
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2011, 03:48:27 PM »

THROW THE MAN IN JAIL!
:lol

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2011, 03:49:45 PM »

He ISN'T stupid. You're right there, but why should that mean he's lying? All that means is he KNOWS people will take it that way, despite not having the intention of it having anything to do with the band's situation. I believe Jordan said that in his Vokle chat IIRC. You can believe or not believe them all you want, I can't stop you; but when you claim to know objectively for a fact 100% that "of course it's meant to be a nudge" then why doesn't anyone else here know that?

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2011, 04:40:30 PM »
Mangini seems so genuine, enthusiastic and nice! Cool.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2011, 05:35:52 PM »
Reading earlier posts about album title and how it could be referred to MP departure... Well, They could named that album Awake, or SFAM or Train Of Thought, or Systematic Chaos, or A Change Of Seasons and in every of these we could find something which is refering to MP's departure... I think that kinds of speculations have no sense...

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2011, 05:48:42 PM »
Reading earlier posts about album title and how it could be referred to MP departure... Well, They could named that album Awake, or SFAM or Train Of Thought, or Systematic Chaos, or A Change Of Seasons and in every of these we could find something which is refering to MP's departure... I think that kinds of speculations have no sense...

Oddly enough you named the albums that I can't possibly find a connection to haha.

But their last album was called Black Clouds and Silver Linings. Imagine if that's what they called it now, same response.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2011, 05:52:25 PM »

Oddly enough you named the albums that I can't possibly find a connection to haha.

But their last album was called Black Clouds and Silver Linings. Imagine if that's what they called it now, same response.
Yeah, that's why I didn't mentioned that one :D But look - A Change Of Seasons - it's obvious; Awake - awake as a new band; SFAM - scenes with MP from a memory; Train Of Thought - run of thoughts after MP departure; Systematoc Chaos - situation in the band after MP leaving  ;D

Offline darkshade

« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2011, 05:57:08 PM »
The title "Black Clouds & Silver Linings" is almost foresight to MP's departure, and eventual joining of MM

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2011, 06:29:38 PM »

Are you a politician?   ;)

Offline Metropolis Pt. II

• DT.net Member
  • Let's roll!
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2011, 11:15:50 PM »
The title "Black Clouds & Silver Linings" is almost foresight to MP's departure, and eventual joining of MM

Yeah, that's almost creepy cool.

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2011, 01:20:47 AM »
In regards to the lack of reference to MP in the Album Title: I'm not sure if this has been said... but, what if the band is saying the title doesnt refer to the split so it doesnt add any more tension? by saying oh we're so depressed about the split. Ok this is going to show my (lack of) age. I'm a teenager and I have facebook and when a person shows sadness due to a break up on their facebook wall, it almost gives the ex a sense of satisfaction, and DT probably doesn't want give MP that similar satisfaction. Ok i'm done referring to teenage drama :blush , just thought it was an interesting similarity to the situation at hand
May The Force Be With You.

Offline Elaitch

« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2011, 08:13:16 AM »
Yeah, that's why I didn't mentioned that one :D But look - A Change Of Seasons - it's obvious; Awake - awake as a new band; SFAM - scenes with MP from a memory; Train Of Thought - run of thoughts after MP departure; Systematoc Chaos - situation in the band after MP leaving  ;D

Hah... good point  ::)

Offline iamtheeviltwin

« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2011, 10:14:35 AM »

Honestly as someone who wasn't active on the forums (or the DT internet community in general) at the time BC&SL was released...I truly felt like the album was a good-bye to the fans, the production, the songs, the title, the artwork....it all had a certain finality to it.

I guess looking back in some ways it probably was meant to be that way.

Offline John94

« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2011, 11:28:38 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TYFkUHrTww&feature=related

Listen to that cheer for Mike! Shows again how cool he is.  :heart