Author Topic: LaBrie is back. Actually he's BACK!  (Read 9648 times)

Offline Ħ

Re: LaBrie is back. Actually he's BACK!
« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2011, 01:32:27 AM »
He's still inconsistent, but the inconsistency is less...consistent.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2011, 01:59:21 AM »
He's still inconsistent, but the inconsistency is less...consistent.

Hmmm.......It's a mystery wrapped in a riddle inside an enigma....... ;D

Offline FlashCE

« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2011, 03:03:50 AM »
Every tour there's always someone that says "JAMES IS BACK!!" but he still sounds weak to me.

Offline Addy

« Reply #73 on: August 07, 2011, 03:44:09 AM »
Every tour there's always someone that says "JAMES IS BACK!!" but he still sounds weak to me.

I just listened to a bootleg from their gig in Warsaw from Oct. 2007 and then to a bootleg from last week's gig in Katowice. He's so much better now than he was 4 years ago. Far from perfect, but still very good, especially comparing to what he sounded like during Chaos in Motion Tour.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 04:15:13 AM by Addy »

Offline tristl

• DTF.org Alumni
  • when dreams and tristl unite
« Reply #74 on: August 07, 2011, 04:12:04 AM »
i was at two concerts during the chaos in motion tour plus in summer the same year in gelsenkirchen, germany at a open air venue and for me he jlb sounded great, however i still make my point that this year he is just full of confidence and the best since many years. :hefdaddy :lol especially regarding he does it since over twenty years, which other singer does as well after such a period of time?!
Carpe diem baby

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2011, 04:37:52 AM »
i was at two concerts during the chaos in motion tour plus in summer the same year in gelsenkirchen, germany at a open air venue and for me he jlb sounded great, however i still make my point that this year he is just full of confidence and the best since many years. :hefdaddy :lol especially regarding he does it since over twenty years, which other singer does as well after such a period of time?!

Nobody does it better than James LaBrie.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2011, 07:54:30 AM »

I just listened to a bootleg from their gig in Warsaw from Oct. 2007 and then to a bootleg from last week's gig in Katowice. He's so much better now than he was 4 years ago. Far from perfect, but still very good, especially comparing to what he sounded like during Chaos in Motion Tour.
There is probably little little validity to that. He probably had some great shows in 2007 where he was totally strong, and he will no doubt have some weak shows in 2011. The human voice is inconsistent and will differ from night to night. Some nights you can do anything and others you just get by. That's the way it is.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2011, 01:06:21 PM »

He certainly did NOT sound weak to me at Wolverhampton neither to my friend whose first DT concert it was. The first thing he said when we left was how good the singer was. He obviously has nights which are better than others but to just say he is weak full stop is unfair to him.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #78 on: August 07, 2011, 02:03:25 PM »
Definitely. Weak isn't an adjective I'd use to describe his recent performances. His tone and timbre have changed, but he still got one hell of a powerful voice.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Scooterfruit

« Reply #79 on: August 07, 2011, 02:18:19 PM »
I was at the Vancouver show that appeared on the Chaos in Motion DVD in 2008, he was fucking incredible that night and I have the bootleg from that show to back up that claim. I'm listening to Voices from that show right now and he's KILLING it. They even did the "thought disorder" verse and he again, killed it.

I agree with what a lot of people are saying...the human voice is inconsistent. And I know from experience, sometimes you can do ANYTHING...sometimes you're scraping by.

I did a gig a few weeks back where the first half of the gig, the voice was sounding and feeling awesome...about the middle of the gig I couldn't do ANYTHING I was trying. It was hell. But near the end it got back on track. My point is, his position is always going to be the most scrutinized because it's probably the most upfront. But he's one of my all time favourite singers and is going strong since 1991. He's inspiring!

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #80 on: August 07, 2011, 09:47:35 PM »
But he's one of my all time favourite singers and is going strong since 1991. He's inspiring!

Winter Rose doesn't count?  :lol
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #81 on: August 07, 2011, 10:20:47 PM »
But he's one of my all time favourite singers and is going strong since 1991. He's inspiring!

Winter Rose doesn't count?  :lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_LaBrie#Dream_Theater

:angel:
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon