Author Topic: LaBrie is back. Actually he's BACK!  (Read 9647 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: LaBrie is back. Actually he's BACK!
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2011, 12:12:30 PM »
They have too many other good songs to play TKH. If they play that, that means a better song that's being pushed out. It's a decent song, but I can think of dozens of songs I'd much rather hear.
Like Space Dye Vest?

I'm pretty sure I speak for BVD when I say that any song off of Awake would be preferred.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2011, 12:12:53 PM »
Now DT needs to put The Killing Hand into their set list  :metal

no they don't
Yes, they sure as hell do! :metal

What TAC said.

They have too many other good songs to play TKH. If they play that, that means a better song that's being pushed out. It's a decent song, but I can think of dozens of songs I'd much rather hear.
Like Space Dye Vest?

LOL! Beat me to it - I was gonna say "like something from Awake?"   :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2011, 12:14:27 PM »
Like Space Dye Vest?

You know it! o/

Nah, I said TKH was at least decent :biggrin:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2011, 12:23:15 PM »
Like Space Dye Vest?

You know it! o/

Nah, I said TKH was at least decent :biggrin:
:neverusethis:
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2011, 12:38:43 PM »
To be honest, I think I'd rather them open with TKH rather than UAGM. It's a good song, but it's not really that good as an opener. Or maybe switch UAGM for OTBOA.

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2011, 01:06:42 PM »
To be honest, I think I'd rather them open with TKH rather than UAGM. It's a good song, but it's not really that good as an opener. Or maybe switch UAGM for OTBOA.

Would be kind of weird to start the show with the one track from their new album, though, don't you think? I think they've placed it in a great part of the set--they play it right in the middle, after the crowd's been energized, but before they get to the ending songs. Some of the fans may still have not heard it yet, too--would be weird to open with a song that not everybody knows. Given the way the band sort of slowly comes in, it IS a good opener, but it'll fit better in that slot once the new disc is out.

TKH--meh. The LATM version of that song is possibly my favorite DT song ever, but I highly doubt James really could pull off that sort of performance, especially every night. And without that, it really isn't worth playing--again, many fans (even on this forum) haven't even heard it before.

All things considered, I think UaGM is a good choice. Let James get some of his more demanding vocals out of the way early, play a song everyone knows, etc. It doesn't drag, its intro develops well, and just about everybody likes it. The only other serious options would be something overly long like ES, TMOLS, or TCOT, something shorter like Forsaken (which wouldn't start the show off well to the "Ugh, SC" crowd) or one of the overly-MP-influenced songs like NE or TGP. PMU and LtL would work too, but I'm sure they're sick of PMU, and LtL is closing.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2011, 01:34:11 PM »
Like Space Dye Vest?
March of the Tyrant
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2011, 01:36:13 PM »
Like Space Dye Vest?
March of the Tyrant
I'd prefer Your Majesty.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2011, 01:46:57 PM »
the gift we bring, your majestey.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Slain

« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2011, 01:54:08 PM »

Yeah, I agree. OTBOA would be a great opener.
Quote from: MarlaHooch
Just amazing.  DT should count their lucky stars that some of their fans are at this level of unconditional cult worship.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2011, 01:55:47 PM »
On the Backs'll be a great opener once everyone's heard it. As it is, even with a million hits on YouTube, I wouldn't count on everyone being familiar with it yet, which is probably the only reason they're opening with UaGM for now.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2011, 01:57:37 PM »
On the Backs'll be a great opener once everyone's heard it. As it is, even with a million hits on YouTube, I wouldn't count on everyone being familiar with it yet, which is probably the only reason they're opening with UaGM for now.

Plus, you don't want to open with it then not play any new songs for the audience.  Kinda weak.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline robwebster

« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2011, 01:59:08 PM »

Plus, you don't want to open with it then not play any new songs for the audience.  Kinda weak.
Aye! Precisely. They'll open with it when it makes sense to. Until then? Whoo UaGM!

Offline Martinman300

« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2011, 03:00:14 PM »
THIS ONE CONTROLS!! from THAT bootleg

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2011, 03:04:52 PM »
wot
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2011, 03:07:15 PM »
^^  Home Sweet Home ^^ Highlight of that bootleg ^^

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2011, 03:11:21 PM »
oh, alright.

I was expecting something like... Actually he's BACK!

...from vacation, and he's extremely happy to have spent some time with his family.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2011, 03:38:27 PM »
I suppose OTBOA would make more sense to open the show after the new CD is out. I wonder if they will play every song at least once throughout the tour? I think so, but if not probably 7 or 8 of them.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2011, 01:12:00 AM »
Now DT needs to put The Killing Hand into their set list  :metal
This! :metal I've read that JP and JM were the ones who didn't want to play WD&DU songs, but if they're playing Ytse Jam, I don't see why TKH couldn't be added to the setlist. Judging by the live videos, James seems to be in a great shape. He completely nailed Learning to Live and Caught in a Web!

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2011, 03:03:03 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLXwPVqZKjY&feature=related

I remember when this video first came out, and people were saying the EXACT same thing. xD As far as I'm concerned, there's been moments since as far back as the SFAM tour when he had nights I could say the same thing about. Just like everybody else, he has both on and off nights. It's just easier to notice with him, not only because he's a lead singer but also because of the material he has to sing, especially the early stuff.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Jalis

• ... I play bass... 4-string bass...
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2011, 04:05:12 AM »
I almost play like JMX

Offline robwebster

« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2011, 04:13:55 AM »

I remember when this video first came out, and people were saying the EXACT same thing. xD As far as I'm concerned, there's been moments since as far back as the SFAM tour when he had nights I could say the same thing about. Just like everybody else, he has both on and off nights. It's just easier to notice with him, not only because he's a lead singer but also because of the material he has to sing, especially the early stuff.
I'm pretty sure the Octavarium tour was the first one where he changed his vocal coach, and the one where people were really noticing the difference. That's where I'd put the line between food-poisoning-James and strong-singing-James, and I think even James has said that he was really in quite fine form.

Since then, it's kind of become a twice-monthly thing. Which I'm finding a little odd right now - he seems sliiiiiightly weaker on this tour, from what I can tell, but still! Good singer, strong voice, doing some cool stuff.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2011, 04:19:00 AM »

I'm pretty sure the Octavarium tour was the first one where he changed his vocal coach, and the one where people were really noticing the difference. That's where I'd put the line between food-poisoning-James and strong-singing-James, and I think even James has said that he was really in quite fine form.

Since then, it's kind of become a twice-monthly thing. Which I'm finding a little odd right now - he seems sliiiiiightly weaker on this tour, from what I can tell, but still! Good singer, strong voice, doing some cool stuff.

I think you're right on the vocal coach switch, which is why Score was such a big deal. I'd forgotten how how damn good he was on that tour. That F# and lead up is as good as he's ever sounded, including IaW tour. He's still hitting the F# well now, but that was just about flawless.

I think each tour it's matter of him being sufficiently warmed up from several shows, but not burned out from too many shows. I think he's probably more easily affected by other factors at his age, even though he's still capable of singing well.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Brand X

« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2011, 04:22:28 AM »
Saw him at Wolverhampton....sounded great..MUCH more relaxed without a certain monkey on his back (in fact the whole band look far more relaxed).

James IS  a great singer doing a tough job...I'm a gigging guitarist sometimes doing 4 nights in a row, if I have a cold or anything, or feel crap etc it really doesn't impact the gigs whereas when my singer has a cold, or feels under the weather or has a slightly dry throat, tickly throat etc etc - then it will be much harder for him and will be noticeable
.........there aren't many singers that could cope with the demands put on him by the music, so lets just cut him  a bit of slack.....

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2011, 07:11:56 AM »
Being a singer, here is reality.
Early in a tour. Voice fresh and strong. Feels like it can do anything and usually does. Its an amazing feeling.
Late in a tour. Voice tired and over worked, so not as strong. The voice can only perform at peak level for so long before it needs a extended break.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2011, 04:11:51 PM »
Can anybody link to the Learning to Live video that everyone is raving about? I don't feel like watching every single live version on YouTube

Offline dongringo

« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2011, 10:30:42 PM »
The man hasn't sang that powerfully and without making mistakes since like 1994. Everybody at the show in Athens yesterday was amazed from his performance, including the ones who don't really dig his voice and style. He only used falsetto like a couple times during the whole show. Learning to Live and Caught in a Web were sang just like the album versions!! Congrats JLB, welcome back to kicking ass!

Actually, he was in top form the two times I saw DT in 2009 and 2010. Just sayin.  ;)
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Slain

Just amazing.  DT should count their lucky stars that some of their fans are at this level of unconditional cult worship.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2011, 03:03:22 PM »
Agree... he was on fire this time.... something different... I can't name it...

Offline austin

• Heyyyyy
  • DTF.org Member
  • bit.ly/thefury
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2011, 06:52:11 PM »
You know it! o/

*\o INTERCEPTED

unless there's a rule against that now or something

I'm really glad to hear (read) all this though. I was worried about JLB's voice when I heard Chaos In Motion. IMO, it sounded like he wouldn't be able to hold up at a decent level much longer. That's just me.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2011, 05:46:59 AM »
The clips I've seen of this tour has him sounding really good.  I'll reserve final judgement till 9/25 in LA  ;D  Here's the thing though...  the majority of vocalists (Rock/Metal) sound like crap by the time they get in their 40's.  Was James voice more powerful 18 years ago?  Sure, but I'd say the difference in vocal tone, quality, has suffered very little.  Compare him to Geoff Tate...or about any other Metal vocalist who has been around 20 years and he gets the win for quality/longevity. In all honesty, his voice has never been my favorite.....but I'll give the man due props for working hard to keep his voice in top form.  He may not be spot on every show, but neither are young vocalists.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2011, 03:04:13 PM »
IMO he's back since at least 2006-2009, he already outdone his 92-94 self at those years. But I'm glad that everyone sees it nowadays.

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »
Alright, I have to say from watching the bootlegs so far, he DOES sound a lot more consistent, and I'm one of those people who carefully analyzes his voice on every album and DVD. Caught In A Web in Athens sounded really good, and that's not an easy song. MUCH more controlled vibrato, and he can hit those higher notes without going out of tune like he used to, though he seems to just scream the highest notes in UAGM rather than hit them in head voice, and I'm fine with that, I don't expect him to be able to do it live consistently.

Offline Slain

« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2011, 05:44:47 PM »
I'm one of those people who carefully analyzes his voice on every album and DVD.

Good, I thought it was just me...  :rollin

I agree with you, he is sounding better and better as the tour goes on in my opinion.

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2011, 06:11:09 PM »
Alright, I have to say from watching the bootlegs so far, he DOES sound a lot more consistent, and I'm one of those people who carefully analyzes his voice on every album and DVD. Caught In A Web in Athens sounded really good, and that's not an easy song. MUCH more controlled vibrato, and he can hit those higher notes without going out of tune like he used to, though he seems to just scream the highest notes in UAGM rather than hit them in head voice, and I'm fine with that, I don't expect him to be able to do it live consistently.

I'm pretty sure he actually takes the UAGM high notes up higher than in the studio--from E to G# if I'm not mistaken. Hence the screamy tone. But I like that--reminds me of the old 1993 performances.

The performances of CIAW, from what I've seen on YT, have been great on this tour. He seems to be much more comfortable on that high section, and really adds some power to those notes rather than just straining up there.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.