Author Topic: LaBrie is back. Actually he's BACK!  (Read 9649 times)

Offline eosforum

LaBrie is back. Actually he's BACK!
« on: August 02, 2011, 11:38:21 PM »
The man hasn't sang that powerfully and without making mistakes since like 1994. Everybody at the show in Athens yesterday was amazed from his performance, including the ones who don't really dig his voice and style. He only used falsetto like a couple times during the whole show. Learning to Live and Caught in a Web were sang just like the album versions!! Congrats JLB, welcome back to kicking ass!

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Re: LaBrie is back. Actually he's BACK!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 11:40:14 PM »
Great to hear. :metal

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 11:40:38 PM »
 :heart

Offline wammabe

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 11:44:51 PM »
Now DT needs to put The Killing Hand into their set list  :metal

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 11:49:53 PM »
I can only confirm the OP about the concert in Vienna. JLB's singing was absolutely top-notch.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 11:53:06 PM »
People have been saying, "James is back!" every tour for a few years now. Sounds the same to me.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 11:53:49 PM »
People have been saying, "James is back!" every tour for a few years now. Sounds the same to me.

I gotta agree.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 11:58:14 PM »
He sounded a bit shaky to me on vids from the first few shows.  Perhaps he's warmed up a bit now.  Also, take into consideration that live performances are usually perceived better than what they actually are in concert.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline eosforum

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 12:07:37 AM »

I personally never said that before. I've seen them live in 2005 and 2007 and hat he did yesterday was beyond comparison I also made clear that not only did he not any mistkaes but he also didn't use falsetto to hide the weakness or tireness of his voice as he used to do all the time. I'm telling you this was different and I believe you will see that yourself when you watch a show of theirs.

Offline Chrissalix

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 12:36:27 AM »
He's nowhere near where he was in 1994 but he's been a lot better on this tour than he has been for a long while.

Offline Addy

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 12:47:27 AM »
He's nowhere near where he was in 1994 but he's been a lot better on this tour than he has been for a long while.

Pretty much this. He's not and will never be in early 90s shape. But I think that his voice is the best in 10 years (if you count off Score DVD).

Offline italianoman

• Where am I?
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 12:49:09 AM »
Yeah, the very first videos that came out from their first show didn't sound terribly good as per Labrie's singing (especially on OTBOA's; he was all over the place pitch-wise) but just the other day I checked out some of the newest concert footage and he sounded AMAZING. I was shocked.
https://www.facebook.com/DreaminginWaves
I sing, I shred and I do it better than most monkeys.

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 01:13:47 AM »
Yeah, I think he definitely sounds a lot better. I've been looking at a lot of the YT footage, and what really strikes me is that he's back to doing all the random super-high notes like he did pre-injury. This can be chalked up to either of 2 easy explanations: 1) He's feeling better now or 2) Portnoy didn't want him doing that.

But yeah, it's pretty nuts. He takes the E5s in the UaGM chorus up to G#5s nowadays, works in a crazy line on G#5 near the end of Endless Sacrifice, and hits an A5 near the end of Peruvian Skies. And these seem to be pretty consistent, he does them every show. He's worked in some really high stuff in TGD as well, and taken a couple of the lines in Forsaken, OTBOA, and CIAW up a bit. Really stunning he can still do that at his age and given all his voice has been through.

Still not 1994 and before, though. He still sounds strained on a lot of the higher melodies, but after a decade of mostly weak (IMO) performances, it seems like he's gotten back on track in a big way.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 02:41:34 AM »
Maybe we can get LATM style Metropolis and AFIL this tour (please please please that'd be awesome), especially if they released it on DVD.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Bill Carson

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 02:45:52 AM »
I've always felt that LaBrie gets the unfairest criticisms. Actually think he has the toughest job. If he's tired or just not right, he will never be able to hide that fact due to the nature of his instrument.
Whilst all the others could easily do shows on autopilot regardless of their health. I mean you hit a string, it rings out right ? But try even talking if your not 100%.
Not sure what prompted me to stand up for a singer considering i'm a guitarist but there you go.

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2011, 03:52:54 AM »
I've always felt that LaBrie gets the unfairest criticisms. Actually think he has the toughest job. If he's tired or just not right, he will never be able to hide that fact due to the nature of his instrument.
Whilst all the others could easily do shows on autopilot regardless of their health. I mean you hit a string, it rings out right ? But try even talking if your not 100%.
Not sure what prompted me to stand up for a singer considering i'm a guitarist but there you go.

I don't agree with you, the stuff the others have to play is at least as difficult, and it's easy to mess it up if you have a injured finger or leg or something, and guitar mistakes are immediately audible. It's just that whenever Petrucci messes up live everyone says "oh whatever, Gods make mistakes too", but when JLB messes up everyone is like "Man JLB messes up all the time."

Offline tristl

• DTF.org Alumni
  • when dreams and tristl unite
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2011, 04:03:05 AM »
 :metal :metal
my first DT concert was in 07 in Porto, jlb was amazing, later that year two times in germany the same.
in 09 in june open air in gelsenkirchen and in winter near stuttgart both times brilliant.
then i was in rome at the 4th of juli and i didn't think he was shaky, he hit the high notes perfectly and had a lot of volume in his voice,
for me jlb is since the budokan dvd on the way up, if you hear the offical live bootlegs  between say 95 and 03 he sometimes doesn't
sound great. but at that time he had problems with his voice. i also think that mp with his set lists never tried to ease things up for jlb(see his last interview).
its always the singer who will have problems first with his instrument, in the last three years i was at three maiden concerts and bruce was awful at all of them.
so anybody tell me which singer does in longer terms a better job then jlb, i don't know anybody. :rollin :rollin
Carpe diem baby

Offline Bill Carson

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2011, 04:24:09 AM »

I don't agree with you, the stuff the others have to play is at least as difficult, and it's easy to mess it up if you have a injured finger or leg or something, and guitar mistakes are immediately audible. It's just that whenever Petrucci messes up live everyone says "oh whatever, Gods make mistakes too", but when JLB messes up everyone is like "Man JLB messes up all the time."

I think you missed my point - I'm not saying that his parts are harder & I also realise that if one of them had a specific injury it could hinder them.
What I'm talking about is that even the slightest issue (general unwellness or jet lag) can be heard to affect the vocals. Whilst I think you can get away with it on other instruments.
Your fingers are a bit more robust then the old vocal chords.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2011, 05:24:02 AM »

I gotta agree.

This. I've been hearing it as far back as 2000 and I also remember hearing the same thing on several of the subsequent tours.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Nobby

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2011, 05:50:05 AM »
Now he's back maybe people will get off his back. The guys a quality singer,period.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2011, 06:00:54 AM »
we are that much closer to hearing

'BLLOOOWWWWWWWJJJOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB'

from another hand/ the killing hand from LATM live again

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2011, 09:47:09 AM »
People have been saying "he's back" since Octavarium. I don't buy that anymore, he's good at some shows and terrible at others, he sings off key quite often, the high notes have this screechy unpleasant sound, and his enunciation is still terrible. He can't perform like in his younger days, that's impossible by definition, but he still manages to keep up with the show which is all that matters.

Offline John94

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2011, 09:53:52 AM »
I've always loved James' vocal ability but this tour also shows that JP has stepped up his vocal ability. He is sounding better too!

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2011, 10:02:28 AM »

I know what you mean.  Not every vid of his has been perfect.  But some of his performances of Caught in a Web have been like 95% percent as good as the album, which is tough to accomplish with that song.  There's also a certain confidence to him that we haven't seen in some time.

I've always loved James' vocal ability but this tour also shows that JP has stepped up his vocal ability. He is sounding better too!

Also true.  JP's singing is the best it's ever been.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline tristl

• DTF.org Alumni
  • when dreams and tristl unite
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2011, 10:15:49 AM »

I know what you mean.  Not every vid of his has been perfect.  But some of his performances of Caught in a Web have been like 95% percent as good as the album, which is tough to accomplish with that song.  There's also a certain confidence to him that we haven't seen in some time.

this is what i mean, he is much more self confident since his biggest critic is gone and like he said in his last interview the setlist is done so he can really perform it night by night, i think mp didn't care about that. :tdwn :loser:

Also true.  JP's singing is the best it's ever been.
Carpe diem baby

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2011, 10:18:39 AM »

True. Seems to have a ton of confidence, and also seems to be operating with the confidence of the ENTIRE band behind him.

His performance on Learning To Live from Poland might be the best I remember hearing.

People have been saying "he's back" since Octavarium. I don't buy that anymore, he's good at some shows and terrible at others, he sings off key quite often, the high notes have this screechy unpleasant sound, and his enunciation is still terrible. He can't perform like in his younger days, that's impossible by definition, but he still manages to keep up with the show which is all that matters.

Not every show from the I&W tour was great vocally. Your first thought is true. James is great and then can be rough. He's at worst inconsistant, but I feel he's sounds as good on this tour as he's ever sounded.  
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2011, 10:39:10 AM »
He sounded awesome when they opened for Iron Maiden.

Offline Bone_Daddy

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2011, 10:43:49 AM »

I gotta agree.
QFT

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2011, 10:44:26 AM »
he's doing great. the only thing that makes me cringe is the WOAHHHH coming out of the caught in a web solo section. its pretty bad, but then he goes on to sing the next part very very good. and just like the record

Offline DTFan0789

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2011, 11:11:52 AM »
Honesty, it was hearing James LaBrie's voice that initially got me into Dream Theater in the first place. Being a guitarist, I was of course familiar with John Petrucci, but I never actually sat down and really listened to DT before. It wasn't until late Summer of '06 when VH1 Classic was showing part of the "Score" DVD that I became a fan for life. Of course all of the players completely blew my mind, but I'll always remember the thing that struck me the most about the band was the lead singer. I just felt like he had the most amazing voice I've ever heard before in my life.

I understand that James' operatic style of singing may not be everyone's cup of tea, and the man has had his fair share of vocal problems before, but love him or hate him, he IS the voice of Dream Theater. I was listening to the Polan bootleg yesterday, and I think he's sounding great!  :)
"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." - George Orwell, 1984

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2011, 11:51:00 AM »

no they don't

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2011, 11:53:58 AM »

no they don't
Yes, they sure as hell do! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline John94

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2011, 12:02:32 PM »
I wouldn't complain if they started playing it again.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2011, 12:04:06 PM »
They have too many other good songs to play TKH. If they play that, that means a better song that's being pushed out. It's a decent song, but I can think of dozens of songs I'd much rather hear.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2011, 12:10:29 PM »
They have too many other good songs to play TKH. If they play that, that means a better song that's being pushed out. It's a decent song, but I can think of dozens of songs I'd much rather hear.
Like Space Dye Vest?
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3