Which one is the best them?

Pull Me Under
71 (43.8%)
On The Backs Of Angels
65 (40.1%)
Can't Decide
26 (16%)

Total Members Voted: 159

Author Topic: Pull Me Under Vs. On The Backs Of Angels  (Read 8007 times)

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Pull Me Under Vs. On The Backs Of Angels
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2011, 03:59:31 PM »
I'm really surprised it's so close.  I like OTBOA quite a bit, but to me there's nothing it brings to the table that PMU doesn't.  And PMU has an extra level of exuberance to it.

Pretty much this. I can't even recall any themes from OTBOA off the top of my head.

Offline Nefyn

• M-Dave
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2011, 04:08:52 PM »
Pull Me Under is a contender for my No.1 spot.
On The Backs Of Angels is not.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2011, 12:21:24 AM »
I'm really surprised it's so close.  I like OTBOA quite a bit, but to me there's nothing it brings to the table that PMU doesn't.  And PMU has an extra level of exuberance to it.

Pretty much this. I can't even recall any themes from OTBOA off the top of my head.

People have heard PMU a thousand times before. OTBOA is still fresh and new. I'm a little surprised at the results, but considering how new the song is, it's understandable. Do the same poll in a year and the results will be more realistic (although still not entirely accurate considering how burned out some people are on PMU).

I haven't even voted. Still seems too new to me to vote for this reason, although I'd go with PMU.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline kiwiclapton

• It all began with Beatlemania,
  • In the name of God, Eric Clapton and the Slowhand
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2011, 01:53:36 AM »
The new song is fantastic - been waiting for it for years! Prog on DT.

Offline bss4life15

« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2011, 11:48:15 AM »
On The Backs Of Angels, it combines some things that i loved about old DT with some of the things i loved with new DT.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2011, 12:12:42 PM »
PMU easily.  I don't think OTBOA is greatest hit material.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2011, 06:11:35 PM »

People have heard PMU a thousand times before. OTBOA is still fresh and new. I'm a little surprised at the results, but considering how new the song is, it's understandable. Do the same poll in a year and the results will be more realistic (although still not entirely accurate considering how burned out some people are on PMU).

I haven't even voted. Still seems too new to me to vote for this reason, although I'd go with PMU.

I've remembered hooks from songs I've only heard once or twice before in the past. Plenty for that matter. I couldn't recall a single riff from OTBOA 15 minutes after I heard the thing. I did enjoy listening to it though.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2011, 07:02:15 PM »
On the Backs of Angels > PMU

I thought the vocals were weak on OTBOA at first, but I've come to love them and they get stuck in your head. I do agree that it's not easily memorable, and that's fine. There's much good in this song and it grows on you, which is a good thing to me.

A lot of PMU similarities (they both have the same guitar prechorus run basically) and this comparison makes sense. The outro is particularly awesome on its own and as a way to end the song (seriously, listen to what each individual is doing, it's subtle and yet it builds to an awesome ending). Some of the interplay between Rudess' cool futuristic riffs and Mangini's snare hits are musically great to listen to.

I think where PMU relies on "Hey! Let us show you the basics of DREAM THEATER PULL ME UNDER IM NOT AFRAID," OTBOA says "You know the drill, but we got some new players and some cool extras PMU doesn't have...mind you, JLB can't sing as high, but he's doing fine."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2011, 12:20:39 AM »

I've remembered hooks from songs I've only heard once or twice before in the past. Plenty for that matter. I couldn't recall a single riff from OTBOA 15 minutes after I heard the thing. I did enjoy listening to it though.

My initial thoughts were identical, so I know where you're coming from. It wasn't a song that grabbed me at first, and even after several listens I felt that nothing jumped out, and I couldn't even recall the chorus. I like it now though, and I think the chorus is actually pretty good, but I still think PMU was catchier.
But very few songs seem to grab me on first listen, so I try not to put too much faith in first impressions anymore.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2011, 08:13:56 AM »
PMU without a doubt.  I haven't had the urge to listen to OTBOA since the week it came out. 

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2011, 09:12:46 AM »
OTBOA is a great song to introduce people to the new band.  But, if it wasn't for PMU on Headbanger's Ball back in '92, I might never have heard of Dream Theater.  Sure I go through phases where I am a little tired of it.  However, aside from the fact that it's a really good song, PMU wins for sentimentality for me.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2011, 03:07:08 PM »
Pull Me Under is massively overrated.   OTBOA, definitely.

PMU never has been my favourite to be honest.... not one of the best DT songs... one of the best metal songs though!
went with OTBOA

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2011, 07:37:40 AM »
Since they have basically the same structure I will try to compare them by the main sections so:

Intro - OTBOA wins easily that intro is almost flawless PMU intro is just great
Kickoff - OTBOA wins here too PMU just can't touch what's Rudess doing here
Main riff - This is kind of a tie I like both riffs very much for different reasons, PMU riff has better flow or how to call it but OTBOA riff is more energetic and interesting.
Pre-Verse - Also tie
Verses - Another tie
After-verse - OTBOA all the way one of my favorite parts of the song and very memorable and catchy I hear it in my head all the time when I think about OTBOA
Pre-chorus - PMU is better cause it flows into chorus a lot better but OTBOA is still great
Chorus - Even though I like OTBOA chorus very much after many listens I didn't like it too much from first listen so PMU wins here
Solo-section - OTBOA easily that piano solo combined with that awesome melodic not shreddy guitar solo makes amazing solo section, PMU has great guitar solo but not as good as OTBOA
Outro - Both are awesome but OTBOA is a little better I think... Firstly because Rudess work and then also because that awesome riff ending that isn't at the beginning of the song you know that Da--Da--Daaa-Da--Da--Daaa part I love that.

So as I see it from this section breakdown OTBOA wins for me easily so OTBOA.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2011, 08:22:25 AM »

PMU was on the radio this morning.
OTBOA was not.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Ħ

« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2011, 08:23:05 AM »
OTBOA is not growing too well.  PMU might be better right now for me.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2011, 08:25:19 AM »
OTBOA is awesome now to me. I really like the direction they're headed.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2011, 09:45:30 AM »
OTBOA - it takes the framework of PMU and gives it some fresh BALLS to it (not ASS AND BALLS mind you),

:lol that's too funny.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2011, 09:52:27 AM »
It's cool that PMU and "angels" have the same song structures. Pmu was a big hit, and OTBOA not as much, but I think if DT uses that structure, they will get hits.

I also like on the backs of angels more right now.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2011, 10:05:14 AM »

OTBOA was not.
I've never heard PMU on the radio before. Why do others get it? :(

Offline darkshade

« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2011, 12:16:45 PM »
OTBOA is a kick ass song to me now, and combined with the BITS teaser, I'm so excited for the new album!

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2011, 04:27:30 PM »

OTBOA was not.
I've never heard PMU on the radio before. Why do others get it? :(

Well, I normally don't listen to the radio.  It just happened to be on when I was waking up this morning.  I was pleasantly surprised and I figured they were playing DT due to the new upcoming release.  It was on the radio constantly back in 92' & 93'.