Poll

Yes
59 (75.6%)
No
19 (24.4%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Author Topic: Neal Morse's voice: do you like it?  (Read 10203 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Neal Morse's voice: do you like it?
« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2011, 08:22:21 AM »
No, I don't like his voice.

I love it

+1,000,000
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline fibreoptix

« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2011, 09:21:10 AM »
I actually first happened upon Neal whilst listening to Transatlantic. His voice was the very first drawing point for me. I fell in love with his voice then and never looked back.

My first song was We All Need Some Light.

Offline VanBrandevoort

« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2011, 12:07:15 PM »
Neal is a great vocalist in my opinion. Add his keyboard, guitar and compisition chops and you have one skilled musician. Even if you're not a christian, Testimony 2 is an album you simply must hear.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2011, 08:40:21 AM »
Wait, where is this supposed death growl on T2?

The Truth Will Set You Free at 5:30-5:35.  The second one is at the end. 

Okay, if this supposed growl is that brief thing at the end of The Truth Will Set You Free, that is not a death growl by any stretch of the imagination; it is barely even a scream (which Neal does well on occasion..see: right before the last chorus in SB's Devil's Got My Throat). 

Um...no.  Watch the section of Stranger In Your Soul on The Whirlwind Live after the instrumental jam where Neal and Mike are goofing around trying to do death growls, and then listen to this section again.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2011, 10:14:17 AM »
I wouldn't call those death growls.  Doing pale imitations of death growls doesn't make them death growls.  Besides, a real death growl will feature singing actual lyrics while growling, as opposed to what Neal does, which is more or less a wordless vocal with some roughness to it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2011, 10:20:08 AM »
Doing pale imitations of death growls doesn't make them death growls. 

:lol  I don't see much point in that distinction, but whatever.  By the same token, I don't see much point in continuing to argue whether they are or aren't.  But I will say, again, check that part of Stranger that I referenced if you don't recall it.  Whether they are doing a good job of it or not, Mike and Neal certainly think they are doing growls, because they even say so.  And it is exactly the same sound you hear on TTWSYF.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2011, 11:03:35 AM »
Okay, but that is a growl that almost any decent singer could do.  Heck, I could do a growl like that.  It wouldn't sound good, but I could still do it. 

Either way, I would never use that as a reason why Neal is such a good singer.  Not that you necessarily did either, but I am just saying. ;)

Offline Ħ

« Reply #77 on: August 22, 2011, 12:13:48 PM »
It's a growl but not a death growl.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #78 on: August 22, 2011, 12:41:44 PM »
I present my case:

Bridge Across Forever
The Land of Beginning Again
Made Alive

I rest my case.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #79 on: August 22, 2011, 12:56:46 PM »
Wait, that wasn't a picture of Neal Morse?

Also: Yeah, I enjoy his voice, it's good. It fits with whatever he's trying to apply it to. Same for Steven Wilson's voice. I love that too, as it fits anything he likes to apply it to.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2011, 02:06:56 PM »
Neal Morse isn't a singer whose participation in a project makes me want to listen to it because of his singing. He's an amazing songwriter and multi-instrumentalist whose voice suits the music he writes. He's not a top tier, amazing OMG vocalist, but then I don't think anyone claimed he was.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline 7thHanyou

« Reply #81 on: August 23, 2011, 05:46:30 PM »
Neal has one of the most exceedingly pleasant, inoffensive singing voices I have ever heard.  It helps that he's able to stack genuine emotion on top of it.

At first, I didn't notice his voice much.  Now it's one of my favorites in prog.  It's rare for someone in the genre to have an overtly "friendly" voice, but Neal really does, and it perfectly matches any project he's ever undertaken (especially Spock's Beard).  It also makes those moments when he goes absolutely crazy ("The Light," "Lay Down Your Life," the entirety of "Sola Scriptura") really stand out.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: August 24, 2011, 12:28:14 PM »
Even if you're not a christian, Testimony 2 is an album you simply must hear.

No, I mustn't.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: August 24, 2011, 01:18:54 PM »