Author Topic: Meet & Greet  (Read 43975 times)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: ADTOE Tour Meet & Greet (Packages & Details)
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2011, 07:59:23 PM »
You were fine Pinchy.  I only brought up the money because people usually feel overly entitled when they shell out and sometimes forget that everyone else did as well.

While we're swapping M&G stories...the Shadow Gallery one was by far the coolest one I've been to, as Nick can attest to.  It lasted about 2 hours after the show and included a bonfire.  That's as badass as they get.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: What would YOU do at a Meet and Greet????
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2011, 08:34:26 PM »
Yeah, maybe the "Special" tour shirt we get would be good.  I could do a shadow box with that, Passes and the 3 M&G pics with the band.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2011, 08:36:18 PM »
You were fine Pinchy.  I only brought up the money because people usually feel overly entitled when they shell out and sometimes forget that everyone else did as well.

While we're swapping M&G stories...the Shadow Gallery one was by far the coolest one I've been to, as Nick can attest to.  It lasted about 2 hours after the show and included a bonfire.  That's as badass as they get.

Never heard that story...but it sounds awesome!!!!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2011, 12:03:41 AM »
I still dunno:
 - If anyone from the U.S got a M&G package yet.
 - If I got one will I just tell my wife to wait in the car?!
 - If I got one and they gave me a ticket.. will I just tell my wife to wait in the car?! :lol
Cause I'm traveling for the show I'm going to and I already got the tickets for two.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2011, 08:40:13 PM »
I actually wasn't joking, is this thing designed for single people only? What do you do when you're going to the concert with somebody?!
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2011, 11:42:16 PM »
I actually wasn't joking, is this thing designed for single people only? What do you do when you're going to the concert with somebody?!

What do you mean??  You buy 2 M&G's you get two tix..together.  Do you mean you have a M&G and your friend doesn't kind of scenario?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2011, 08:57:07 AM »
I think Metty is saying that he has a M&G, but his wife doesn't - and there are plenty of reasonable reasons for that.

My silence on the matter only implies I don't know the answer.  When I did the other M&G it was during prog nation, so I ended up missing the bulk of BigElf's set and the first half of ZPZ.  Don't know how it works on a regular concert.

If she isn't comfortable waiting in line alone with the masses, contact the people who run the M&G, and maybe they can allow her to wait at the merchandise booths during the M&G.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2011, 08:36:04 AM »
Thanks DTVT, that's what I meant. She's just going with me to the show and has no particular interest in the M&G.
I decided that since we're spending the night at a hotel anyway then might as well check in early and have her drop me off then go back to the hotel and return again when it's time for the show. I just have to propose this plan very delicatly cause it has the potential of getting a frying pan in the face reply :lol

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2011, 09:04:05 AM »
Anyone you know here from the board going to the show??  She could hang with them till you get out of the M&G. OR  you go to the M&G and send her for a spa/nails or something like that ;)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2011, 11:18:54 PM »
Yep, a couple good options available now :)

Offline Guitalguy

• Blackness awakens Visions come alive
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2011, 04:50:59 AM »
I'm attending my first M&G in Oslo next year, also wondering what to get signed and what to talk about. We actually get all the stuff, the poster, t-shirt, and all that at the venue, so it wouldn't be that bad to carry around another poster with that. Maybe we even get a box for everything, that would be nice. If this is possible and practical I think I'll get the ADTOE litho print signed, and the CD.

Offline birdie5150

« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2011, 01:06:26 PM »
Won a VIP with  Foreigner......I was pissed....the rep came up just before we went in and said we could only quickly get a pic with the band....no questions handshakes or anything.....

They got pissed at me when I turned around after they snapped the photo and grabbed Mick's hand and told him I was glad I didnt have to pay for this shit!!!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2011, 01:14:50 PM »
If I ever had the balls to do it, I would say "I don't really like Dream Theater that much, but I had a pen and some paper, so WTF?"

Then I would stand there awkwardly and hope they got the joke.  ;)

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2011, 01:30:16 PM »
If I ever had the balls to do it, I would say "I don't really like Dream Theater that much, but I had a pen and some paper, so WTF?"

:lol  yeah... the they look at you like  :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: for about 10 seconds....while you shrink to the size of a peanut....then they all bust out :lol

Offline Bongasti

« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2011, 01:40:33 PM »

Haha that's what I would do too! (Even though I think they wouldn't get it) No but really I would have something signed (a shirt, their album or whatever) but I probably would be too nervous to actually talk about anything.

Offline lyfeternl

« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2011, 09:41:05 AM »
I am attending my first DT concert in Atlanta at the Tabernacle on Oct. 19 and also purchased the M&G package so...it will be a night of firsts  :biggrin:

I honestly have no idea what to expect at all, both in terms of what's given and interaction with the band. As sad as it might be, I've been writing down thoughts on what I'd want to say to each of the guys as well as make a list of the best item to get signed, though I might simply opt for some of the tour swag. So many decisions and choices!

Any tips, advice, etc. would be much appreciated because first impressions are (almost) everything.

"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2011, 10:40:40 AM »
I am attending my first DT concert in Atlanta at the Tabernacle on Oct. 19 and also purchased the M&G package so...it will be a night of firsts  :biggrin:

I honestly have no idea what to expect at all, both in terms of what's given and interaction with the band. As sad as it might be, I've been writing down thoughts on what I'd want to say to each of the guys as well as make a list of the best item to get signed, though I might simply opt for some of the tour swag. So many decisions and choices!

Any tips, advice, etc. would be much appreciated because first impressions are (almost) everything.

I decided on a Snare drum head, which MM uses a Remo Emperor X or CS, I went with the X.  I don't think it's a bad Idea too write your thoughts down, I didn't, and I forgot a couple questions :(  Which of course I remembered as soon as I walked away...DOH!!

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2011, 10:49:01 AM »
When I did my M&G a few years ago, I had the band sign an 8" drum head (made sure it was the same brand MP used) and that worked out great.  Easy to carry around, good room for all of them to sign, and MP even drew up the DT logo in the center.  Of course, I'm a drummer so it made the choice of a drumhead easy.

IF they get back to Phoenix on the (hopefully) 2nd US leg and I am fortunate enough to do the M&G, I'd have them all sign the ADTOE litho from the box set.

As for questions, well, I'm originally from Long Island near where JP is from, so I was able to talk to him about that.  I talked to MP about TSCO and what it meant to me because it was the 1 year anniversary of her passing (MP said he'd dedicate the song that night to my mom, which meant a lot to me when he did that), and I very briefly talked to JR about his playing style.  Didn't have much to say/ask JLB because while he was signing I was still talking to JP, and I just said Hi to JMX cause I figured that's all I'd get back anyway.   :biggrin:

Definitely a good idea to come up with some questions beforehand, but realize you MAY only get one question with each member (if that) because they move you through the line pretty quick.  If you have more than one, try to ask it while they're setting you up for the band photo.

Oh, and HAVE FUN!

Offline indalo

« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2011, 12:06:29 PM »
Can anyone post photos of the M&G now that the tour has started?

And what is the Dream Theater tour gift item???
Sorry for my bad english!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2011, 07:19:37 PM »
You are prohibited from taking your own pictures at M&G's, and sometimes it takes a few days for them to put the pictures online.

Offline mocool13

« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2011, 12:40:22 AM »
Although I'm not getting a M&G pass, I'd like someone to post pics of the stuff they got out of curiosity. i.e. poster, shirt, picks, etc.

If we're on the subject of M&G and VIP passes, I recently met Opeth through such event, and it was awesome.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2011, 03:14:04 AM »
You are prohibited from taking your own pictures at M&G's, and sometimes it takes a few days for them to put the pictures online.

What's the limit on the number of items you can have signed?

Offline pinchylarue

« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2011, 05:16:40 AM »
can you have 2 pictures taken with the band?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2011, 08:15:26 AM »

What's the limit on the number of items you can have signed?

They say one, but you might be able to squeeze two small ones in.

can you have 2 pictures taken with the band?

Only if you have 2 M&G packages.  The picture taking is as streamlined as the event gets.  The band is in a line, you walk in front of them, (Portnoy would do some goofy thing for everyone that you didn't see until you got the picture), they ask if you are ready, snap the pic and move to the next person.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2011, 03:15:03 PM »
DTVT thanks a lot for the info. Do you work for the band or are you just super experienced in the world of live DT?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2011, 08:53:29 PM »
I don't work for the band.  Wish I did sometimes though.

I've only done one M&G, but I remember it in great detail, as well as other people's posts.  I have near eidetic memory.  I just want people to get the most for their money, and part of that is knowing what to expect and keeping your expectations modest and realistic.

Not that it fits in here, but part of the M&G experience is just talking to the OTHER fans while you wait.  Chances are they like the band as much as we do, and its a good way to stay loose and not let the nerves get to you so you can make the most of your experience.

Offline indalo

« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2011, 03:43:35 AM »
Nobody has gone to any M&G yet? Any info about how it is organized? Any photos of the M&G pack?

I can't wait for the european tour!  :rollin

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2011, 09:44:30 AM »
Thanks DTVT, that's what I meant. She's just going with me to the show and has no particular interest in the M&G.
I decided that since we're spending the night at a hotel anyway then might as well check in early and have her drop me off then go back to the hotel and return again when it's time for the show. I just have to propose this plan very delicatly cause it has the potential of getting a frying pan in the face reply :lol

Driving to and from Nextstatge is a pain in the ass--lots of traffic.  And,  I've actually seen them try to charge for pulling up to the venue for dropping people off.*  Nextstage is in a large entertainment district that includes a minor league baseball stadium and Dallas's only horse track.  After getting butt-raped to park at Nextstage,  she could walk half a mile over to Lonestar park and watch a race or two.  Hell, even if she isn't into horse racing,  drunken degenerate gamblers always makes for some awesome people watching.  Grab a beer and some nachos and watch some idiot blow his daughter's college fund on some horse with an amusing name.

32°46'14.06"N  96°59'10.20"W  The concert venue is in the lower right corner of the area,  now called Verizon.

*I'm pretty sure this is not legal,  but arguing public property rights with some $7/hour flunky is only going to result in having to beat his ass. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2011, 10:45:10 AM »
Nobody has gone to any M&G yet? Any info about how it is organized? Any photos of the M&G pack?

I can't wait for the european tour!  :rollin

They line you up, go over the rules, band comes out, picture with the band is taken, reform line, meet the band and get something signed, collect your swag, and it's over.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2011, 11:31:24 AM »
what time was the meet up time for your packages?

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2011, 12:30:15 PM »
In Chicago we were let in just after 5:45.  There was a lot of waiting.  I would imagine DT didn't come into the room until maybe 6:15-6:30.  I was towards the back of the line so I left the area with my gift bag around 7-7:15 and Trivium was just starting.  Fortunately the venue let us leave and come back so I dropped off my stuff in my car.  Most venues don't, however. 

I missed about 10-15 minutes of Trivium since I took the extra time to go to my car, grab a drink and t-shirt, etc.  Otherwise you will be able to make it for both acts.

Offline indalo

« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2011, 05:54:28 PM »
Thank you for the info!

I don't like that they give to you the M&G stuff (photo?  ;D ) after the M&G so it's impossible to get the poster signed  :tdwn

Offline MetalJens

« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2011, 10:23:22 PM »

I don't like that they give to you the M&G stuff (photo?  ;D ) after the M&G so it's impossible to get the poster signed  :tdwn

That's true.. I expected to get the stuff before.. but luckily I had my ADTOE CD with me for the signing anyways. So, it's probably a good idea to bring something cool to get signed :P

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2011, 04:02:08 AM »

Driving to and from Nextstatge is a pain in the ass--lots of traffic.  And,  I've actually seen them try to charge for pulling up to the venue for dropping people off.*  Nextstage is in a large entertainment district that includes a minor league baseball stadium and Dallas's only horse track. 

I'm still not totally sure I'll do the M&G but the picture you paint there is horrific  :o I need to find a really need hotel to the venue so I can park there and walk to the show!

Offline kevinpwrs

For all the people doing the M & G....
« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2011, 05:06:34 AM »
Has anyone asked the band (or will someone ask) if we are going to see more of the drummer audition footage? I would love to see more of Minneman, Lang and Wildoer.  Thanks.
"You know how you get to Carnegie Hall don't ya? Practice!"