Author Topic: 2011-09-25 - Nokia Theater - Los Angeles, CA  (Read 59685 times)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2011-09-25 - Nokia Theater - Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #175 on: September 26, 2011, 01:11:32 AM »
Can someone post the set list of this show without any personal twists on it? I'm a little confused.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #176 on: September 26, 2011, 01:13:50 AM »
Can someone post the set list of this show without any personal twists on it? I'm a little confused.

1. Bridges In The Sky
2. These Walls
3. Build Me Up, Break Me Down
4. Endless Sacrifice
5. Mike Mangini Drum Solo
6. Ytse Jam
7. Wait For Sleep
8. Far From Heaven
9. The Great Debate
10. On The Backs Of Angels
11. Caught In A Web
12. Through My Words/Fatal Tragedy
13. Breaking All Illusions
Encore: 14. Pull Me Under

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #177 on: September 26, 2011, 01:21:32 AM »
Breaking All Illusions was beyond words.. so beautifully done. The entire show was incredible.

It was funny - during Pull Me Under, James got lost during one of the verses, realized what had happened, stopped singing and said something to the effect of "We've played this song hundreds of times and I'm still fucking it up". And then just before the chorus he says "sing this with me - apparently I need the help" xD

Hilarious.

Mangini - flawless
JP - incredible
JR&JM - absolutely wonderful
JL - breath taking

All and all, the was the best concert I've ever been too. Thank you DT for putting on one hell of a show.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #178 on: September 26, 2011, 01:26:18 AM »
Oh and also to the person sitting in row KK, seat 318... you smelled like shit. -________-
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: September 26, 2011, 01:27:13 AM »
Oh yeah this set list is definitely better than the 24th one. But I like them both.

It was funny - during Pull Me Under, James got lost during one of the verses, realized what had happened, stopped singing and said something to the effect of "We've played this song hundreds of times and I'm still fucking it up". And then just before the chorus he says "sing this with me - apparently I need the help" xD

:lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline IJewBear

« Reply #180 on: September 26, 2011, 01:29:54 AM »
Endless Sacrifice! ....sacrifice.  ...sacrifice...sacrifice...

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #181 on: September 26, 2011, 01:32:14 AM »
I was thinking, that for the acoustic part of the show, they could do any songs they have with little to no drums, then MM wouldn't have to learn anymore stuff and everyone else pretty much knows it.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #182 on: September 26, 2011, 01:33:41 AM »
I still thought it was so cool that JLB referred to his reason for changing some of the songs (and playing BAI) to reading the boards last night.  I would assume that he was talking about the boards at dt.net, but I don't think it is a stretch that he hopped on over here as well
very cool

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #183 on: September 26, 2011, 01:44:24 AM »
BTW, had a great meet up with crimson sunrise and his GF.  both were very cool

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #184 on: September 26, 2011, 01:46:00 AM »
I still thought it was so cool that JLB referred to his reason for changing some of the songs (and playing BAI) to reading the boards last night.  I would assume that he was talking about the boards at dt.net, but I don't think it is a stretch that he hopped on over here as well
very cool

The only song that seems changed for the latest set list is Pull Me Under instead of UAGM.
BAI was being played anyway. They wouldn't have been able to all learn the song and put it together last minute just because a forum wanted it. But PMU is a song they've all played a million times (aside from Mangini, of course).
Still great to know they care, and are so in touch with their fanbase. Not many bands that big can claim that. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Chrissalix

« Reply #185 on: September 26, 2011, 01:50:13 AM »
very cool

The only song that seems changed for the latest set list is Pull Me Under instead of UAGM.
BAI was being played anyway. They wouldn't have been able to all learn the song and put it together last minute just because a forum wanted it. But PMU is a song they've all played a million times (aside from Mangini, of course).
Still great to know they care, and are so in touch with their fanbase. Not many bands that big can claim that. :tup

Erm, Wait For Sleep? FFH?

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #186 on: September 26, 2011, 01:51:37 AM »
I think Caught In A Web replacing Forsaken might also have been a fan-induced change.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #187 on: September 26, 2011, 01:54:56 AM »
Erm, Wait For Sleep? FFH?

I didn't mean changed from last night's setlist.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline tofee35

« Reply #188 on: September 26, 2011, 01:57:02 AM »
Great show tonight!  :tup

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #189 on: September 26, 2011, 02:15:43 AM »
Oh man. So anything CAN happen...

Massey Hall October 6 can't come soon enough!

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
« Reply #190 on: September 26, 2011, 02:18:50 AM »
... I would assume that he was talking about the boards at dt.net...
I took a look over there; there was one thread with 14 posts discussing the set list.

I'd say, as usual, DTF wins.
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #191 on: September 26, 2011, 02:28:47 AM »
... I would assume that he was talking about the boards at dt.net...
I took a look over there; there was one thread with 14 posts discussing the set list.

I'd say, as usual, DTF wins.
:hat

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #192 on: September 26, 2011, 02:46:25 AM »
Amazing show from my vantage point-- second row in the pit, dead center.  Here are some reflections:

Glad to see plenty of new songs rotated in the setlist.  Breaking All Illusions was bonerific, so glad I got to see it in its first ever run through! 

Mangini messed up on PMU's second chorus and James gave him a mighty glare.  Before the bows, MM made some comment of acknowledment to James, which JLB responded with a smile. 

PMU is a bit of an anticlimatic encore choice in my opinion, or maybe thats just cuz its the 27th time i've seen DT.

The tour program's intro pages offer some interesting JP insights into the albums recording process (difficulties with recording vocals on 2 songs which prompted JP to go to Canada to work out; album's working title was Bridges in the Sky, etc.) 

I asked JP if the setlists are selected as a committee on this tour, he replied that they all pool together on which songs really stand out to them, and JP ultimately decides the final setlist (with a lot of help from others he said).

BMUBMD chorus screetches were backing tracks, in my estimation.

Jordan appeared to make an exasperated face/rolling of eyes during the rudimentary parts of Ytse Jam.  Perhaps he gets bored with that song, I dunno.  Other than that, great palpable energy on stage from all members.  JMX was on fire whole show!!!

Will most likely go to another city to catch Beneath the Surface and Outcry in rotation.  Just need to guess what cities they will be played.  Boston would be great!

Offline Resonate

« Reply #193 on: September 26, 2011, 02:59:18 AM »
Great show tonight!  So happy to hear BAI.  Only bad part was we were located towards the back and some of the people there just wanted to sit and watch.  When a couple people stood up, people behind them yelled at them to sit down.  People in the orchestra section were standing up throughout the show though.  Also, someone in back decided to smoke some marijuana for a while. Lovely smell. But overall, my cousin and I enjoyed the concert alot. The Nokia is a great venue and it was pretty full.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #194 on: September 26, 2011, 03:16:11 AM »
WOW!

Now THAT'S what I call a set list! Breaking all illusions, Wait for sleep, Caught in a web, and Pull me under as an encore. I'm blown away, gotta see this show.  :hefdaddy

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: September 26, 2011, 03:31:29 AM »
Awesome setlist, a notch better than the first one.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
  • Behind those eyes a world explodes.
« Reply #196 on: September 26, 2011, 03:36:36 AM »
I think this is the superior setlist. BAI > Outcry. Plus, UAGM makes a really really weird encore. I hope they go with this list in Albany!
caw caw

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: September 26, 2011, 03:47:00 AM »
**DISCLAIMER.......sorry if it's LOOOOONG winded   :lol :lol :lol

Howdy Amigos!!!!!  WHEW!!! What a fucking night!!  It's 1:30am as I start this and I'm still amped!!!!  As a disclaimer....ya gotta cut me some slack for the screw up for the last 4 songs of the setlist.  I'm basically handicapped when it comes to posting on the web with my phone.  Also, I was major multi-tasking with...

1. Updating said setlist
2. Taking still shots with my point and shoot (They allowed Cams without detachable lenses and no flash) So I shot in manual no flash and hoped for the best.
3. Taking Video with my little picsio flip  (first glance doesn't look so hot :(  Crappy sensor couldn't adjust to the changing and low light.  We'll see what I can do   
    editing.  My GF's iPhone actually took better vid..... :lol
4. Trying to actually enjoy the show (which I succeeded in)  :lol
5. Trying to have a cocktail (not succeeding so well  :lol )
6. Dealing with the dickhead behind me who couldn't help but yell "Mother fucker" every 5 seconds  Seriously...that's all he said all night  :facepalm:

Anywho....  I want to try to capture this all now while it's fresh in my noggin, before my "Oldtimers" kicks in  (Yeah you 30+ crew know what I'm talking about).  We started the night by hooking up with Yeshaberto at the Yardhouse for some eats and a libation.. Awesome guy!!  We really enjoyed the time spent hanging out and chatting :)  Have a safe flight in the morning Brother!!!  From there we had to meet outside the venue for the Meet and Greet.  We went in with 60 others about 20 mins before they let the rest of the folks in.   I saw Raise the Knifes review....he must have been a few seats down from us. Sorry we didn't get to meet you!

They led us upstairs to the VIP area and we waited for the guys too show up (about 15 mins).  They came in, we took our pics, and did the signings.  The guys were in really good spirits.  JMX was actually smiling and trading some banter with JLB.  As far as our brief time ...seconds...with each guy, it was really fun.  JP was first, I told him I really loved the album and his production of it, also that every time I see him (this is my 3rd M&G) his arms just get bigger and bigger His response was "Yeah... I've been lifting things"  given with a huge grin  ;D  Next was Mike, told him the obligatory "Welcome to the Family" which he loved, and asked if I had gotten the right drum head (which is what I ended up bringing to sign)  He said yes  :metal,  WOOHOO!!!!  All I had was a pic of his kit to go by.

Next up was JLB, basically commented that he sounds awesome on the album and how I'm amazed how his voice just seems to get better as time goes on.  He said something to the effect that it's because of his vocal resting regimen.  Next up was JMX, I told him I was absolutely thrilled to see him writing lyrics again, and that songs he has done in the past our some of my top DT tracks.  He gave me a warm smile and "Thank you".  Last but not least JR, I commented on how much he shines and stands out on this album. My GF on the other hand fawned all over him...(he's her fav ;)  ) and we were off to the lobby.  The guys were as gracious and friendly as past M&G's, but they seemed more relaxed to me this time.

By the time we got out Trivium was already going at it, we stayed in the lobby had a drink, and went in when they were done (we could hear them...they sounded pretty good).  We also experienced a first for me.  This venue has a no re-entry policy.  We're both smokers, and the harsh reality of that policy sunk in... :lol  :omg:

We got too our seats, 3rd row, right between JLB and JP.  Of course I had a guy who seriously was at least 6' 4" in front of me....I'm 5' 7" on a good day  ;D  So, through out the show I played dodgeball with his head trying to see and get media.  Everyone knows the setlist, so I'll glance over some highlights....

BITS.... just STELLAR!!!!!  The intro with Blob's animation was GREAT!!!  Well dona...again... Blob :metal  Everyone sounded great and the crowd was pumped!

These Walls -  :tup  I love this song, I know most aren't that fond of it but I am

BMUBMD -  It was good....  This sound hasn't really grabbed hold of me yet.  One note... some of the Vocal segments were recorded, the part right before "I'm the new Messiah"  also all the screams were recorded.

Endless Sacrifice -  fantastic!!!  Great song live  and the guys really put energy into it!!

Drum solo - was very entertaining, I know I was initially leaning towards another song in it's place, but I really enjoyed watching Mike have fun!!!!

Wait for Sleep - This is my favorite ballad in the DT vault.   JMX and JLB took seats, and JR rounded out the trio..... simply AMAZING!!! 

FFH - My Fav. ballad on the new Album, I was really stoked that they played it, especially for my GF who loves it!!!

The Great Debate - Another tune that some don't care for that much but I REALLY enjoy!!  The guys nailed it!

OTBOA - I like this song, and have since it's release.  For those who rank it down a bit, I think you might enjoy it more Live ;)

******This is where JLB goes into his musings about reading online about the disappointment  that some fans had with the SF setlist.  Honestly... he didn't seem too happy about the fan reaction.  I'm sure they had some type of rotation set up, because of the vid/stage show.  Maybe Blob knows more on that score  ;)

CIAW - Actually not one of my Fav's...but I really enjoyed it this time around!!

Through my words/fatal tragedy - Just outstanding, don't think I've seen these live.  Knowing that the finale's were coming up, I had to actually run to the bathroom  :lol  What I was bummed about when returning (at the upper seating are) was how good the mix sounded up there.  WAY better than what I was hearing up front  :sadpanda:  THAT...is my only real gripe about the show, and it wasn't THAT bad.

BAI - I called this last night, while we were reading thru the SF setlist, I told my GF that they might swapout Outcry/BAI in this slot.  Well.....when I say the crowd went wild...I ain't lying!!! :metal :metal :metal  WOW...what an awesome song.

PMU - Not my fav song, but really enjoyed it this time around!  The crowd was seriously into it!!!!  Yeah, like it was mentioned, MM really had some timing issues with this song, but recovered.  Wasn't this the first time he's played it live though??  I'll cut him some slack  :yarr

Overall......this show was fantastic.  Loved the setlist, the energy of the band was better than recent performances.  I loved one part when JP came center stage with JLB and gave him the old "Pillsbury dough boy" treatment poking his finger in his gut...both of them Laughing.  MM.... well, he fits right in just fine for me.  JMX seemed a LOT more animated and happier....less on autopilot like I've seen in recent years.  Jordan was awesome....  unfortunetly, because of the levels and mix at our seats, we didn't really get to hear him as much as we would have liked.  What we DID hear kicked ass!!!!  Loved the tilting Keyboards also!!!

Sorry for going on ...and on...and on... :lol  Hopefully I didn't bore you to tears  :facepalm:  Thanks for reading :)

Here's some pics from my crappy point and shoot......

and of course my Fav... me and JP having a ...moment..... :lol :lol :lol

« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 04:18:25 AM by CrimsonSunrise »

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: September 26, 2011, 03:52:32 AM »
Thanks for sharing that :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #199 on: September 26, 2011, 04:06:28 AM »
I need a video of BAI now.

Offline Optimus

• Mr. Bateman
  • I like to dissect girls.
« Reply #200 on: September 26, 2011, 04:10:22 AM »
Thanks for the report crimsonsunrise :hefdaddy
That's a very fine chardonnay you're drinking. I want you to clean your vagina

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: September 26, 2011, 04:10:39 AM »
I need a video of BAI now.

I'm sure someone took  better ones than mine :(  I'm gonna try to edit it (color correction) in the AM....wait...it IS the AM!!!!!  Well...in 6 hours or so  :biggrin:  My GF got some decent clips on her iPhone....but they're only snippets.  Mine were full songs for the most part...so cross your fingers  :lol

Thanks Zy, and Optimus :)

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #202 on: September 26, 2011, 04:13:07 AM »
Cool, look forward to seeing the outcome of your work! Good photos by the way.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: September 26, 2011, 04:19:13 AM »
Cool, look forward to seeing the outcome of your work! Good photos by the way.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #204 on: September 26, 2011, 04:35:10 AM »
MOTHERFUCKER!!!!  YAAA!!  MOTHERFUCKER!!!!

jus kidding, Crimson, that wasn't me.  Judging by your pics we were probably 5 seats apart maybe.  Glad you guys had such kickass time too!

Offline Chrissalix

« Reply #205 on: September 26, 2011, 04:56:17 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B5QpGvWYCs&feature=mfu_channel&list=UL

Oh my god how fucking good is LaBrie. Bloody hell.

Offline Spitfire

• Opeytserushesis'... Beard
« Reply #206 on: September 26, 2011, 05:02:40 AM »
Fuckin' awesome pictures for a "crappy point and shoot"...  :lol

As an attendee of the September 30th show at Kingsbury Hall, I'm split between Outcry and Breaking All Illusions... I could imagine BAI being an absolute treat, but at the same time, I'd LOVE to see Outcry... Ugh.

edit: And holy crap, LaBrie is sounding AMAZING this tour.
GIMMI FEU
GIMMI FIA
GIMMI DABAJABAZA

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #207 on: September 26, 2011, 05:14:45 AM »
Awesome! Tonight setlist's an A- (PMU is not my favourite way to close a show but whatever)!

Judging from CS's pics the band seems in great shape and mood!  :)
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline chrisgazpacho

« Reply #208 on: September 26, 2011, 06:23:54 AM »
MUCH better set list!

I wish they would drop The Great Debate and rotate Outcry and LNF in that spot.  That's my only real complaint in the set, never been a big fan of that song. 

They must feel great that they have made an album where everyone wants to hear the whole thing live and not fans complaining for more old stuff.

Chris

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #209 on: September 26, 2011, 06:36:07 AM »
Aside for the inclusion of BAI and the EXCLUSION of Forsaken, I like opening night's setlist MUCH BETTER. I'm NOT a fan of Wait For Sleep (LIVE anyway) and Far From Heaven to me is a complete borefest!

I'd like to see BAI stay in the set and replace TGD with Outcry. Leave BTS in the acoustic set but replace TSM with Take Away My Pain (this way CIAW could also stay in the set).