Author Topic: 2011-09-25 - Nokia Theater - Los Angeles, CA  (Read 59702 times)

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
Re: 2011-09-25 - Nokia Theater - Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #140 on: September 26, 2011, 12:09:43 AM »
Just an observation: nothing from SC or BC&SL so far on the two lists...conspicuous?
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #141 on: September 26, 2011, 12:11:09 AM »
Sad to say I won't miss hearing anything off of either of those ^^
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #142 on: September 26, 2011, 12:11:19 AM »
They've already done more setlist rotating than I thought they would. The idea that they could have a third different set would be great and definitely would silence the people who are hating based on the fact they said the setlist rotating wouldn't be done as much.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #143 on: September 26, 2011, 12:11:33 AM »
Just an observation: nothing from SC or BC&SL so far on the two lists...conspicuous?

"Forsaken" was on the SF set list...

Still nothing from FII or BC&SL, though.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #144 on: September 26, 2011, 12:11:52 AM »

Forsaken was played last night.

The only song they'd probably play from BC&SL is The Count of Tuscany, but it is too long.  Playing that would eliminate three or four other songs, and they obviously wanna play all or most of the new album along the way.   Wither would be a good choice, but with the mellow songs from the new album to pick from and either Wait for Sleep or The Silent Man as of now in there, they probably don't want to have too many mellow songs.

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #145 on: September 26, 2011, 12:11:57 AM »

They played "Forsaken" last night
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline Riceball

« Reply #146 on: September 26, 2011, 12:12:58 AM »
 :facepalm:
Carry on.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #147 on: September 26, 2011, 12:15:05 AM »
So, just to recap...

1. Bridges In The Sky
2. These Walls
3. Build Me Up, Break Me Down
4. Endless Sacrifice
5. Mike Mangini Drum Solo
6. Ytse Jam
7a. The Silent Man / 7b. Wait For Sleep
8a. Beneath The Surface / 8b. Far From Heaven
9. The Great Debate
10. On The Backs Of Angels
11a. Forsaken / 11b. Caught In A Web
12. Through My Words/Fatal Tragedy
13a. Outcry / 13b. Breaking All Illusions
Encore: 14a. Under A Glass Moon / 14b. Pull Me Under

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #148 on: September 26, 2011, 12:16:08 AM »
Ha ha he just said how he was reading boards last night so they r changing things up.
Boards as in...DTF?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #149 on: September 26, 2011, 12:16:51 AM »
That's right. Let's see if they have a C setlist or not for the next show.

I can also see them playing Metropolis and Learning To Live as encores throughout this tour as well.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Ħ

« Reply #150 on: September 26, 2011, 12:19:36 AM »
So, just to recap...

1. Bridges In The Sky
2. These Walls
4. Endless Sacrifice
6. Ytse Jam
7a. The Silent Man / 7b. Wait For Sleep
8a. Beneath The Surface / 8b. Far From Heaven
9. The Great Debate
11a. Forsaken / 11b. Caught In A Web
13a. Outcry / 13b. Breaking All Illusions
Encore: 14a. Under A Glass Moon / 14b. Pull Me Under

-Marc.
That's REALLY neat-looking, actually.

My preferences would be

Wait For Sleep
Beneath the Surface
Forsaken
Outcry
Under A Glass Moon

It looks like I went to the right show for my tastes!
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #151 on: September 26, 2011, 12:21:05 AM »
I suspect some will be aggravated if Breaking All Illusions gets "relegated" to every other show (or every third show) status, but as far as the new album goes, if this pattern holds, the three songs from the new album they will play every night will be the two singles (assuming BMU, BMD is the 2nd single, which is a very safe assumption) and the best song (Bridges in the Sky).  Nothing wrong with that. :coolio

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #152 on: September 26, 2011, 12:21:55 AM »

I can also see them playing Metropolis and Learning To Live as encores throughout this tour as well.

Well, with only 2 ADTOE songs not being played, I'd say there COULD be a good chance at a C-Setlist to cover those two songs, in which case, they could also swap out 3 other songs, including the Encore, which would be another IAW, if they stick to the pattern so far (doing an IAW song for the encore).

They're swapping 4 songs in the main set, so if they play LNF, it'd replace Outcry/BAI, and if they did TITL, it'd replace BTS/FFH.

This would leave replacing TSM/WFS with something short and acoustic...maybe Hollow Years in an acoustic version? Or perhaps a piano/vocals version of "Wither"?

And this would leave replacing Forsaken/CIAW with something else, maybe something from FII like "Burning My Soul" or "You Not Me"? :lol I keed I keed...

-Marc.

Offline Riceball

« Reply #153 on: September 26, 2011, 12:25:08 AM »
If my calculations are correct (which they probably aren't) those tracks make up about 140 minutes of music.

Do I remember reading somewhere that they were learning 3 hours worth?

/purespeculation

Offline Ħ

« Reply #154 on: September 26, 2011, 12:26:41 AM »
That's what that one recent interview said.  3 hours of material.

Offline Chrissalix

« Reply #155 on: September 26, 2011, 12:28:51 AM »

Well, with only 2 ADTOE songs not being played, I'd say there COULD be a good chance at a C-Setlist to cover those two songs, in which case, they could also swap out 3 other songs, including the Encore, which would be another IAW, if they stick to the pattern so far (doing an IAW song for the encore).

They're swapping 4 songs in the main set, so if they play LNF, it'd replace Outcry/BAI, and if they did TITL, it'd replace BTS/FFH.

This would leave replacing TSM/WFS with something short and acoustic...maybe Hollow Years in an acoustic version? Or perhaps a piano/vocals version of "Wither"?

And this would leave replacing Forsaken/CIAW with something else, maybe something from FII like "Burning My Soul" or "You Not Me"? :lol I keed I keed...

-Marc.

Please let this happen!!

And it seems like they're only using old ones in the main that they've played with Mangini before so you'll probably get Peruvian Skies in that slot instead of CIAW/Forsaken.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #156 on: September 26, 2011, 12:29:39 AM »
Thinking about the weird encores, I kind of like the direction I think they might be headed in.  Instead of the same epic every night (TCOT for the previous tours), they select surprising shorter songs to switch up often to keep things spicy.  I kinda like it.

Offline Chrissalix

« Reply #157 on: September 26, 2011, 12:30:06 AM »

Forsaken, bro.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #158 on: September 26, 2011, 12:30:39 AM »
If I am not mistaken, since Mangini joined the band, aside from the new album, the only albums that have seen more than one song played live are Images and Words (five), Awake (two) and Scenes (two).  Looks like they must know what their best albums are. :coolio

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #159 on: September 26, 2011, 12:31:46 AM »

If that's true, there's about 45 minutes of other songs we haven't heard yet (doing a rough calculation of song lengths, I reached about 135 minutes total between the songs of the two sets). This could include TITL and LNF, which would account for about 18 minutes of that 45, leaving 27 minutes.

Let's say they play Learning To Live as the C-List encore, leaving 15 minutes, and two songs to replace Forsaken/CIAW and TSM/WFS, which is only about 10 minutes of set-time, so there might be SOME rounding-up in terms of the "3 hours" thing, so with that logic, there's a chance there's a third setlist to come!

-Marc.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #160 on: September 26, 2011, 12:33:51 AM »

BREAKING ALL ILLUSIONS.....FUCK YEAH
Bastards.
Lonestar is about to fucking rage. Watch out.
:rollin
I'm cool, no chairs being thrown here. BTS was the no. 1 song I wanted to hear,  and I did. Yes, BAI would have been epic, but outcry rocked. WFS would be hard without LTL after, for me, and TSM was awesome. PMU, heard it many times. Great set tonight though,  glad you guys got a shake up. :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #161 on: September 26, 2011, 12:34:07 AM »
If they do a 3rd set list, and Lost Not Forgotten takes the place of Outcry/Breaking All Illusions, since that is not really a set closer kind of song (IMO), I say they move it to Endless Sacrifice's slot and end the set with In the Name of God.  Who's with me?!?! :biggrin:

Offline Riceball

« Reply #162 on: September 26, 2011, 12:34:23 AM »
Gotta include Peruvian Skies in there too.

Offline Chrissalix

« Reply #163 on: September 26, 2011, 12:36:08 AM »

If that's true, there's about 45 minutes of other songs we haven't heard yet (doing a rough calculation of song lengths, I reached about 135 minutes total between the songs of the two sets). This could include TITL and LNF, which would account for about 18 minutes of that 45, leaving 27 minutes.

Let's say they play Learning To Live as the C-List encore, leaving 15 minutes, and two songs to replace Forsaken/CIAW and TSM/WFS, which is only about 10 minutes of set-time, so there might be SOME rounding-up in terms of the "3 hours" thing, so with that logic, there's a chance there's a third setlist to come!

-Marc.

TITL, LNF, Peruvian Skies, Learning to Live and Metropolis will be the other songs we hear this tour. They're only playing stuff they've played before + PMU.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #164 on: September 26, 2011, 12:36:25 AM »
If they do a 3rd set list, and Lost Not Forgotten takes the place of Outcry/Breaking All Illusions, since that is not really a set closer kind of song (IMO), I say they move it to Endless Sacrifice's slot and end the set with In the Name of God.  Who's with me?!?! :biggrin:
Well, apparently they read the SF thread and took suggestions, so.....

PLEASE DONT PLAY IN THE NAME OF GOD GUYS

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #165 on: September 26, 2011, 12:38:50 AM »

Eh, I never felt like "Outcry" would be a set-closer either, but I think it would work if they are doing "Outcry" as a set closer and, weirder still, UAGM as an encore. Anything goes!

Gotta include Peruvian Skies in there too.

And yes, this has to come back. If it's thrown in, it's going to rotate out with Forsaken/CIAW.

Still makes me wonder what could be replacing TSM/WFS...

-Marc.

TITL, LNF, Peruvian Skies, Learning to Live and Metropolis will be the other songs we hear this tour. They're only playing stuff they've played before + PMU.

"The Silent Man" and "Wait For Sleep" are new as well.

-Marc.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #166 on: September 26, 2011, 12:39:25 AM »
Well, apparently they read the SF thread and took suggestions, so.....

PLEASE DONT PLAY IN THE NAME OF GOD GUYS
GUYS, PLAY THIS DYING SOUL!!!  :D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #167 on: September 26, 2011, 12:40:45 AM »

Still makes me wonder what could be replacing TSM/WFS...

Speak to Me or Lifting Shadows Off a Dream would be great choices.  Yes, they are full band songs, but they'd still be good alternates given the vibe.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #168 on: September 26, 2011, 12:44:41 AM »
Come to think of it, the only non-European non-ADTOE song we know is new to Mangini is Pull Me Under, which is one of the easier songs from what I understand.  I don't know if we'll see anything too heavy that replaces TSM/WFS/BTS/FFH.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #169 on: September 26, 2011, 12:46:57 AM »
I just gotta say, this being my first new album as a DTFer, being a member here  throughout this process has been great fun and totally enhanced the whole experience a hundred fold.  Thanks guys!

Offline Chrissalix

« Reply #170 on: September 26, 2011, 12:49:34 AM »

-Marc.
[/quote]

They're not full band songs, though.

Offline tumbok

« Reply #171 on: September 26, 2011, 12:50:57 AM »
still no portnoy's lyric  ???

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #172 on: September 26, 2011, 12:51:48 AM »

-Marc.

[/quote]

True, but at least 3/5ths of the band had to take the time to learn them anyway, despite how short they are. I still think they've got one more under-5-minute song that could be treated the same, and I'd hope for "Wither" as piano-vocal, or perhaps an FII song. Or maybe "Space-Dye Vest" as JR and JLB played it?

-Marc.

Offline Chrissalix

« Reply #173 on: September 26, 2011, 12:58:51 AM »

-Marc.

True, but at least 3/5ths of the band had to take the time to learn them anyway, despite how short they are. I still think they've got one more under-5-minute song that could be treated the same, and I'd hope for "Wither" as piano-vocal, or perhaps an FII song. Or maybe "Space-Dye Vest" as JR and JLB played it?

-Marc.

Maybe Through Her Eyes as well? Wither would be amazing. They could easily play a 30 minute set of stripped back stuff. What I would give to see that...

Also, MP would not have sanctioned this. As far as I know this is new territory too. DT pushing boundaries again!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #174 on: September 26, 2011, 01:03:32 AM »
"Through Her Eyes" would be interesting, but they've already got TMW/FT to represent SFAM. It seems the only albums they are doing multiples from are IAW and Awake.

Possible C-Setlist:

1. Bridges In The Sky
2. These Walls
4. Endless Sacrifice
6. Ytse Jam
7. ___(Stripped-down piece?)___
8. This Is The Life
9. The Great Debate
11. Peruvian Skies
13. Lost Not Forgotten
Encore: 14. Learning To Live OR Metropolis

If they play "Wither", they'll have every album covered with at LEAST one song:
WDADU - Ytse Jam
IAW - PMU, Metropolis, UAGM, WFS, LTL
Awake - CIAW, TSM
FII - PS
SFAM - TMW/FT
SDOIT - TGD
TOT - ES
8VM - TW
SC - Forsaken
BC&SL - ..."Wither" if they do it...

-Marc.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 01:12:52 AM by The Letter M »