Author Topic: 2011-10-19 - The Tabernacle - Atlanta, GA  (Read 15492 times)

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
Re: 2011-10-19 - The Tabernacle - Atlanta, GA
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2011, 10:22:46 AM »
Can't add anything to what has been said, but the Mangini solo was ridiculous.  We waited out by the tour bus and got autographs and pics with everyone but Myung.  He came out first when there were about 100 people there.  He looked exhausted and not well, so quite a few folks didn't press for pics.  But by the time the rest of the band came out there were only about 30 or so and everyone got pics and autographs.  Got to talk to JLB quite a bit, told him where he could find some good waffles and beer at 130 a.m.  Amazing night, will post pics if I can figure out how.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Saiko

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2011, 10:59:56 AM »
Got to talk to JLB quite a bit, told him where he could find some good waffles and beer at 130 a.m.

That was funny! What sign was he talking about during the show, when he mentioned waffles and beer? I was in the lower balcony and couldn't see the sign.

Offline AngelBack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2011, 12:28:12 PM »
There was a sign over one of the bars that advertised a Belgian Ale.  He said it made him think of Belgian waffles AND beer.  BTW, thought it was an amazing performance by JLB, not only did he nail the high notes, he even added some where they were not on the studio version.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 12:34:32 PM by AngelBack »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2011, 02:36:38 PM »
Got to talk to JLB quite a bit, told him where he could find some good waffles and beer at 130 a.m.

That was funny! What sign was he talking about during the show, when he mentioned waffles and beer? I was in the lower balcony and couldn't see the sign.

???  It's Atlanta.  Where can you not get waffles and beer?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline AngelBack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2011, 02:55:58 PM »
I resent the accuracy of that remark  :biggrin:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2011, 03:25:11 PM »
:lol  I can't remember being in Georgia and not tripping over a Waffle House every 100 yards or so.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Saiko

« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2011, 03:56:46 PM »
:lol  I can't remember being in Georgia and not tripping over a Waffle House every 100 yards or so.

Scattered, smothered and covered!

Offline johncal

« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2011, 12:59:45 PM »

Those aren't waffles, they're waffle shaped turds.

Offline Millais

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2011, 03:01:33 PM »
Like I said, a very solid concert.  I just wish there would have been a better selection of older material. 

out of interest, what other songs would you have liked to have seen from their "older material"?  :-X

Offline CrimsonE

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2011, 04:03:20 PM »
They were ofteh closing with LTL on many of their Euro gigs, and I would have liked to have seen that close the set instead of UAGM.  Plus, they had ditched the Great Debate after their first couple of N. America shows, which I imagine was due to them getting settled with both BAI and Outcry.  Those are the two older songs  knew they were playing that I wish I could have seen live and have not so far--that and Peruvian Skies, which I would have keeled over in ecstasy if they played instead of Endless Sacrifice (although that was a fantastic one to see live as well).

As for other older material, that is currently only speculative as they haven't played with Mike Mangini: 

Sacrificed Sons (didn't see the last tour aside from the IM headlining gigs)
The Spirit Carries On (one of MM's tryout songs)
Trial of Tears
Metropolis (Never saw it in its entirety--only saw the 2nd half on Gigantour w/ PMU)
This Dying Soul or Stream of Consciousness (both are pretty much pipe dreams at this date, esp TDS)
6 AM:  (Would love to see MM's take on the drumming).

But then again, that is all pie in the sky wishing.  The show was good, but it wasn't quite as transcendent as when I saw them before.  The shows they were doing for SC--they were amazing, both in terms of their sets, and in terms of their extended versions:  Surrounded, Blind Faith, Take the Time, Smedley Wilcox, etc.  Here, the only song I had in my top 20 (from the top 50 countdown) was Endless Sacrifice--although UAGM almost made it.     
In the heart of your most solemn barren night
When your souls turn inside out
Have you questioned all the madness you invite?
What your life is all about

Offline Wolfpacker96

« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2011, 04:30:17 PM »
Maybe it was just my area in the balcony, but there was the loudest roar of the evening when Breaking All Illusions started.  Or maybe that was just my roar!  Yeah, I was pretty tired myself by that time.  Not as young as I used to be. ???

Offline Orion1967

« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2011, 02:06:07 PM »
A question for other Atlanta fans who were at the show.  Is it me or did Jordan seem to be having a lot more fun this evening than he has in the past?
Yeah he did! he was kind of pre-occupied at the meet and greet for the autographs portion but was really cool and gracious at the group pictures.
He was really interactive with MM I noticed as well.  Overall the whol band seemed to really have a blast, was the most animated I have seen JMx EVER.  And Labrie was spot on with the vocals!~
Cool Story Bro. 

Tell it again

Offline Orion1967

« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2011, 02:07:29 PM »
Dude :lol, there are corners on interstates in Atlanta where there is literally a Waffle house on BOTH sides of the interstate at the same intersection.  I shit you not.
Cool Story Bro. 

Tell it again

Offline Orion1967

« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2011, 02:12:41 PM »
Oh I forgot to mention that I didnt HATE Trivium either...  The lead singer sure spit a hell of a lot more than MP ever did, thats for sure, I was a little worried beind second row floor dead center of the stage.  About the only thing I could say was negative about the concert was all the Trivum fans that decided to Mosh which of course pushed those of us in the front three rows a little uncomfrtably close to one another.  So much so the guy behind me to my left said "I think I just had sex with someone".  I found it ironic that he said that since the guy right behind me was commenting about how spread out the floor was compared to the Skrillex concert there a few days ago that was "Dick to ass" the whole time.  I had to turn around at that point and tell him that he and I were going to lay some ground rules right out of the gate that we were not going to be that intimate...
Cool Story Bro. 

Tell it again

Offline lyfeternl

« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2011, 02:30:58 PM »
The lead singer sure spit a hell of a lot more than MP ever did, thats for sure, I was a little worried ...

Ha, yeah. There was a moment where I thought the dude spit all over my Meet & Greet swag (I was in the very front row between JM and JLB).
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP