Author Topic: 2011-10-06 - Massey Hall - Toronto, ON  (Read 34375 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: 2011-10-06 - Massey Hall - Toronto, ON
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2011, 04:44:54 PM »
So, the last few gigs in Toronto, they`ve covered a Rush tune (Camera Eye, Jacob`s Ladder and Passage to Bangkok).  Think they`ll do one this time around?  If they do, I`d love to see Cygnus X-1 - since they usually do an untraditional tune.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Banny

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2011, 06:12:36 PM »
I live in Newfoundland, so I'll be flying in the day before. Meeting somewhere before sounds great.

Wow thats awesome! Okay we'll figure it out and let you know! Ill PM you details once we get our  :censored straightened out!

It's become a pretty regular thing at this point. Flew in for the Massey Hall shows on the ToT and Octavarium tours. I've seen DT 3 times outside of that as well in NYC and Montreal. I accepted at a young age that they were never coming near my home.  :(

Yeah I suppose you don't have a choice. Didnt Metallica and U2 come down east?

Not that far. You basically can't get further east where I am. Very few bands comes through here, and they're not typically winners...to be honest, I can't blame them. I've been to a handful of shows since we had a notable (for St. John's) stadium open somewhere around 2000 and turnout is often bad. (Granted just as many sell out.) But in 2001 I saw the Barenaked Ladies play to a practically empty house.
Just under a year ago the student union of the only university lost $100,000+ (due to mere stupidity) on bringing Snoop Dogg here for a show.
It's rough times. Thats why I end up traveling to see so many shows. I started when I was 14 and it's been steady go ever since. (Last show for me was PT @ RCMH, where I basically saw most of the members of DT!)

So, the last few gigs in Toronto, they`ve covered a Rush tune (Camera Eye, Jacob`s Ladder and Passage to Bangkok).  Think they`ll do one this time around?  If they do, I`d love to see Cygnus X-1 - since they usually do an untraditional tune.

I could be wrong, but I feel like that was maybe a MP-driven effort. Would love to see more Ruah covers as per tradition of course.

Offline FallTempest

• Canadian bacon.
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2011, 09:35:23 AM »
I live in Newfoundland, so I'll be flying in the day before. Meeting somewhere before sounds great.

Wow thats awesome! Okay we'll figure it out and let you know! Ill PM you details once we get our  :censored straightened out!

It's become a pretty regular thing at this point. Flew in for the Massey Hall shows on the ToT and Octavarium tours. I've seen DT 3 times outside of that as well in NYC and Montreal. I accepted at a young age that they were never coming near my home.  :(

Not that far. You basically can't get further east where I am. Very few bands comes through here, and they're not typically winners...to be honest, I can't blame them. I've been to a handful of shows since we had a notable (for St. John's) stadium open somewhere around 2000 and turnout is often bad. (Granted just as many sell out.) But in 2001 I saw the Barenaked Ladies play to a practically empty house.
Just under a year ago the student union of the only university lost $100,000+ (due to mere stupidity) on bringing Snoop Dogg here for a show.
It's rough times. Thats why I end up traveling to see so many shows. I started when I was 14 and it's been steady go ever since. (Last show for me was PT @ RCMH, where I basically saw most of the members of DT!)

I could be wrong, but I feel like that was maybe a MP-driven effort. Would love to see more Ruah covers as per tradition of course.

Thats rough :-[ Some places just aren't musical hot beds. Is it more like traditional like folk music and stuff there?

And yeah I do hope they play a Rush song.. However Im not sure how likely it is..
This is a nice place

Offline FallTempest

• Canadian bacon.
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2011, 08:45:52 PM »
OKAY HERES THE PLAN FOR THE DREAM THEATER AT MASSEY HALL MEET UP: Show starts at 8pm, so doors probably open 7 ish? So I say we meet at HMV 333 Yonge St. in the METAL section at the DT CD's at 5 30 or 6? Its about a 10 minute walk to Massey I believe. That will also give a little time to browse HMV  :tup
This is a nice place

Offline Banny

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2011, 05:54:34 AM »

Thats rough :-[ Some places just aren't musical hot beds. Is it more like traditional like folk music and stuff there?

And yeah I do hope they play a Rush song.. However Im not sure how likely it is..

Well the local scene in NL is extremely active and successful. I play in a band (We're releasing our second CD this fall and will be touring with it as far as Ontario) and everyone in the local scene is very supportive of one another. There are lots of shows happening regularly all along George St. It may be small, but very very active— and even with good music! In that sense, the local scene here is very fortunate.

Offline FallTempest

• Canadian bacon.
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2011, 07:30:46 PM »
Thats awesome man! Let me know when/where you play in Ontario, Id love to check it out! Whats your band called?
This is a nice place

Offline Banny

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2011, 09:16:17 AM »
Quick personal plug time:
Catcher. (We're not prog... Maybe some influence, but it's more just good rock.  :lol Not the shitty kind.)
Technically, it's not really my band per se. It's a bit of a NIN/one-man-band type deal. But I've settled away a spot as regular bass play in the live band. It's cool though, I had been seeing countless Catcher shows for over two years before I became a "member".

If you're interested, there's a free EP available [www.catcher.ca] that was recorded live off the floor one afternoon maybe a year and a half ago and previews a song from the new album. When dates are finalized, I'll maybe make a plug about it in the musician's forum.  :biggrin:

Back on topic:

Somebody who knows Massey Hall well, which seat is better C11 or G15? I'm interested in a nice spot in front of Myung this round.
Reference: https://www.torontoplus.ca/guide-images/seating-plans/toronto/massey-hall-main-floor.jpg

Edit: I posted that without finishing the post.  :lol

Offline FallTempest

• Canadian bacon.
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2011, 11:25:55 AM »
Quick personal plug time:
Catcher. (We're not prog... Maybe some influence, but it's more just good rock.  :lol Not the shitty kind.)
Technically, it's not really my band per se. It's a bit of a NIN/one-man-band type deal. But I've settled away a spot as regular bass play in the live band. It's cool though, I had been seeing countless Catcher shows for over two years before I became a "member".

If you're interested, there's a free EP available [www.catcher.ca] that was recorded live off the floor one afternoon maybe a year and a half ago and previews a song from the new album. When dates are finalized, I'll maybe make a plug about it in the musician's forum.  :biggrin:

Back on topic:

Somebody who knows Massey Hall well, which seat is better C11 or G15? I'm interested in a nice spot in front of Myung this round.
Reference: https://www.torontoplus.ca/guide-images/seating-plans/toronto/massey-hall-main-floor.jpg

Edit: I posted that without finishing the post.  :lol

I downloaded the EP and its actually great! Like I could see that getting big.. Awesome! Im a big Foo Fighters fan so, it immediately appealed to me that way.
This is a nice place

Offline Banny

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2011, 11:04:34 AM »
 :hat
The new album is full of dope shit.

/Hijacking.

...I still haven't booked a hotel. I'm not all that rich. Staying for 2 nights. Just myself. Anyone with some suggestions?

Offline FallTempest

• Canadian bacon.
This is a nice place

Offline FallTempest

• Canadian bacon.
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2011, 05:23:58 PM »
I might be able to have you stay at my place, but Im like an hour from T.O.. But that is a nice hotel for 70 a night-ish!
This is a nice place

Offline ryan1562

« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2011, 08:58:59 PM »
cant wait!

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2011, 10:46:02 PM »
My friend and I will be there!

EDIT: There's the Bond Hotel, which is less than a 5 minute walk to Massey Hall. https://www.bondplace.ca/    Not sure of prices.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 10:51:04 PM by Scard »

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2011, 01:42:03 PM »
I'm good to grab a pre-concert pint anywhere within a few minutes of Massey.  I'll probably drive down nice and early to avoid the rush-hour traffic into the city, and work from a coffee shop somewhere.

What time to meet?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2011, 07:32:45 PM »
I'm good to grab a pre-concert pint anywhere within a few minutes of Massey.  I'll probably drive down nice and early to avoid the rush-hour traffic into the city, and work from a coffee shop somewhere.

What time to meet?

3 Brewers Microbrewery is right around the corner and is amazing. I'm very familiar with the area, as I used to live 10 minutes walking distance from massey hall.

Offline Cream theater

« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2011, 09:28:39 PM »
My first post and all I want is BAI in the Toronto Setlist.  No Rush songs required, I'd rather have another DT song.
Can't wait.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2011, 04:31:16 AM »

What time to meet?

3 Brewers Microbrewery is right around the corner and is amazing. I'm very familiar with the area, as I used to live 10 minutes walking distance from massey hall.

That sounds like a plan.  6pm meet up?

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2011, 10:13:33 AM »
Sounds good!

Offline Banny

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2011, 10:27:30 AM »
This sounds great.  :hat

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2011, 12:02:09 PM »
Their amber beer is delicious!

Offline Tumdace

« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2011, 11:32:03 PM »
I just got myself a ticket for Massey Hall. Will be my time ever seeing a live band. I am pretty excited!

Im a few hours out of Toronto, plan to be in Toronto by 6 at least, gives me an hour to get some food and then get to Massey Hall for 630 or 645.

What do I need to know about this venue in particular or about seeing a band?

This is an entirely new experience to me.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2011, 06:24:48 AM »
Trivium doesn't start until 8, so no need to be at the hall that early.  It's a great venue for a concert.  Expect it to be the loudest thing you've ever heard in your life if this is your first concert.

Offline FallTempest

• Canadian bacon.
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2011, 07:03:39 AM »
I just got myself a ticket for Massey Hall. Will be my time ever seeing a live band. I am pretty excited!

Im a few hours out of Toronto, plan to be in Toronto by 6 at least, gives me an hour to get some food and then get to Massey Hall for 630 or 645.

What do I need to know about this venue in particular or about seeing a band?

This is an entirely new experience to me.

Well your mind is most certainly going to be blown.  :biggrin:
This is a nice place

Offline Tumdace

« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2011, 07:16:40 AM »
Trivium doesn't start until 8, so no need to be at the hall that early.  It's a great venue for a concert.  Expect it to be the loudest thing you've ever heard in your life if this is your first concert.

I was told I had to be an hour early to get the ticket. So I would have to be there at least at 7. Or is that something they just say for legality? Would my ticket be unavailable if I showed up around 715 or 730?

Offline erniesballs

« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2011, 01:50:35 PM »
Of course i'm going. This will be my 4th time. So excited to see Mangini's convulsions.
Carpe Diem

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2011, 03:40:10 PM »

I was told I had to be an hour early to get the ticket. So I would have to be there at least at 7. Or is that something they just say for legality? Would my ticket be unavailable if I showed up around 715 or 730?

I've never picked up a ticket at will-call, so if the venue is telling you be there an hour before hand, I'd go with that.

Offline FallTempest

• Canadian bacon.
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2011, 11:29:21 AM »
Urgent: Anyone interested in balcony seats row g? 2 tickets. Reply ASAP.
This is a nice place

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2011, 11:51:35 AM »
Try the DT-Bay stickied thread too. 

That sucks man.

Offline FallTempest

• Canadian bacon.
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2011, 11:59:40 AM »
Try the DT-Bay stickied thread too. 

That sucks man.

Okay thanks Jingle!

Hopefully things will work out though :)
This is a nice place

Offline pinchylarue

« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2011, 03:06:51 PM »
has anyone received the email from the VIP meet and greet people yet?
they said they would send them out a week before each show but I havent got mine yet....

what should I do?

Offline Tumdace

« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2011, 06:55:05 PM »
Wheres the best place to park for Massey Hall?

Im from out of town (actually live in a small town, so I dont go to big cities like TO very often). How much should I be looking to pay for parking? Wheres the safest place to park (dont want my car broken into or stolen, boy do I sound like a small town boy).

Offline FallTempest

• Canadian bacon.
« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2011, 08:04:17 PM »
Wheres the best place to park for Massey Hall?

Im from out of town (actually live in a small town, so I dont go to big cities like TO very often). How much should I be looking to pay for parking? Wheres the safest place to park (dont want my car broken into or stolen, boy do I sound like a small town boy).

There are a few lots and garages in the area! Parking will likely be an added fee..
This is a nice place

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2011, 09:27:16 PM »
Probably better to plan for $20 or $25.  The area that Massey Hall is in is pretty busy... quite a few theatre's in the area, lots of 'night life'.  So long as you don't stray too far east of Yonge Street, you'll be fine (safety wise).  Lock the doors, don't leave anything noticibly valueable in view.  Just use common sense.

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2011, 10:23:08 PM »
Probably better to plan for $20 or $25.  The area that Massey Hall is in is pretty busy... quite a few theatre's in the area, lots of 'night life'.  So long as you don't stray too far east of Yonge Street, you'll be fine (safety wise).  Lock the doors, don't leave anything noticibly valueable in view.  Just use common sense.

Haha, don't let that scare you too much. I had a friend that lived RIGHT at Dundas and Sherbourne and I walked out of the at all hours of the night. Not as bad as it's made out to be.