Author Topic: 2011-10-06 - Massey Hall - Toronto, ON  (Read 34370 times)

Offline pinchylarue

Re: 2011-10-06 - Massey Hall - Toronto, ON
« Reply #140 on: October 07, 2011, 03:31:29 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrJoshgirouard?feature=mhee

I uploaded a few snippets of some songs, sorry about the quality as they were taken from an iphone 3gs.

enjoy !

Offline OptionalPlayer

• Comprised of a series of ones and zeros
« Reply #141 on: October 07, 2011, 07:04:40 PM »
I'll be posting photos of myself with the band once I get them off my friends camera. Everyone (minus Petrucci) came out after the show to hang out. I had them all sign my ticket and got pictures, too.

James' mom and the rest of his family left out the back entrance too. It's nice to see their support!

Mangini talked to the crowd for a solid fifteen minutes. It was a blast to have witnessed him.

This was my ninth time seeing Dream Theater and I have to say that it was probably their most energetic. I've never seen the guys have so much fun on stage before. I was certain to not hear Breaking All Illusions - but what a thrill! I was ninth row on the right-side centre in front of Petrucci. The acoustics were phenomenal - as they usually are as Massey.

I wish all bands I saw live played there.

MM had written on his FB status : " Accordingly, I may throw a special melody into my solo tonight :):):)" .I was guessing something like YYZ .Did he do something eventually?

Naw, he didn't, unfortunately.

@ johnnysuperfan

I was with Tim at the bus with you. I think I may have a photo of you just hanging around with Mangini.

Yup.

Overall, like I said, my ninth time seeing them, and this was them on the top of their game.

Plus I heard Breaking All Illusions.

RESULT!

Offline bigrich67

« Reply #142 on: October 07, 2011, 07:16:03 PM »
This was the 4th time i've seen DT and without a doubt this was the best show they've put on. I've never seen the band so incredibly happy on stage and animated. I hate to be the devils advocate but frankly I think it's because MP is gone. He controlled the band in a lot of aspects and the way they presented themselves on stage was certainly one of them. JP jumping on top of his stands, getting on his knees in front of the crowd, JM actually smiled a lot and moved around on stage.

had to chime in and agree with you here.  MP's OCD and control issues were probaly stifiling everyone a bit.  i love MP to death, but it sounds like the guys are really enjoying themselves and having fun now.  seeing them soon in boston in a few days...can't wait!!   :metal

Offline pinchylarue

« Reply #143 on: October 07, 2011, 10:10:44 PM »
I'll be posting photos of myself with the band once I get them off my friends camera. Everyone (minus Petrucci) came out after the show to hang out. I had them all sign my ticket and got pictures, too.

James' mom and the rest of his family left out the back entrance too. It's nice to see their support!

Mangini talked to the crowd for a solid fifteen minutes. It was a blast to have witnessed him.

This was my ninth time seeing Dream Theater and I have to say that it was probably their most energetic. I've never seen the guys have so much fun on stage before. I was certain to not hear Breaking All Illusions - but what a thrill! I was ninth row on the right-side centre in front of Petrucci. The acoustics were phenomenal - as they usually are as Massey.

I wish all bands I saw live played there.

MM had written on his FB status : " Accordingly, I may throw a special melody into my solo tonight :):):)" .I was guessing something like YYZ .Did he do something eventually?

Naw, he didn't, unfortunately.

@ johnnysuperfan

I was with Tim at the bus with you. I think I may have a photo of you just hanging around with Mangini.

Yup.

Overall, like I said, my ninth time seeing them, and this was them on the top of their game.

Plus I heard Breaking All Illusions.

RESULT!
petrucci came out, about 15 mins after a bunch of the crowd left ;)

Offline Banny

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #144 on: October 07, 2011, 10:21:15 PM »
Good god, James Labrie was on motherfucking FIRE.  :flame: For reals.

That was by far the tightest Dream Theater show I've seen. Everyone was on their game and the sound was much better than the last two times I saw Dream Theater at Massey Hall. Perhaps it was just where I was standing, but I could hear everything perfectly.  :hat: Here's the view from my seat:

I'm not going to lie, I was almost a bit disappointed with the loss of The Great Debate, but ONLY because I was anticipating it. That said, in that same moment in the concert I realized that meant that they were playing Outcry and closing the set with Breaking All Illusions. And when they were playing BAI, the wound was healed in seconds.  :hefdaddy

Offline johnnysuperfan

« Reply #145 on: October 07, 2011, 11:29:05 PM »

@ johnnysuperfan

haha, nice. Thanks Bro  ;D

Offline OptionalPlayer

« Reply #146 on: October 08, 2011, 06:55:47 AM »
petrucci came out, about 15 mins after a bunch of the crowd left ;)

Believe me, if I didn't have to both work and move the next morning, I would've stuck around to give their bus a wave goodbye.

But damn.

Until next tour, I suppose!

Offline OptionalPlayer

« Reply #147 on: October 11, 2011, 09:52:19 PM »
Four out of five ain't bad!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #148 on: October 12, 2011, 03:32:31 AM »
Great pictures, man.  :metal

Offline Banny

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #149 on: October 12, 2011, 07:14:20 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrJoshgirouard?feature=mhee

I uploaded a few snippets of some songs, sorry about the quality as they were taken from an iphone 3gs.

enjoy !

You were amongst the select few who were closer to the stage than I. Great seats.  :metal What a show. Still reeling.

Offline erniesballs

« Reply #150 on: October 12, 2011, 12:43:24 PM »
Great pics!

Seems like JP was MIA after the show from all the reviews and what not from people who stuck around. I was contemplating it myself.

Do those of you who stick around for these kinds of things find that the band is a lot more open and willing to just have a genuine chat rather than the typical "meet and greet" stuff that people experience pre-show?
Carpe Diem

Offline OptionalPlayer

« Reply #151 on: October 12, 2011, 09:23:00 PM »
Great pics!

Seems like JP was MIA after the show from all the reviews and what not from people who stuck around. I was contemplating it myself.

Do those of you who stick around for these kinds of things find that the band is a lot more open and willing to just have a genuine chat rather than the typical "meet and greet" stuff that people experience pre-show?

Having done both the VIP and waiting outside by the bus - I feel as if you have a more intimate experience with the guys after the show, rather than through the VIP. But I mean, it depends on them. Rudess was COMPLETELY exhausted and I really didn't want to bother him. But Mangini and LaBrie spent a LOT of time with us.

So with the VIP you're guaranteed snippets out of them. For after the show, it's completely by chance. Maybe even one of the guys won't come out?

On the other hand, the VIP treatment gets you some killer professional shots with the band. . .

Offline erniesballs

« Reply #152 on: October 13, 2011, 09:59:20 AM »
I think DT should start doing their meet & greets via a fan club lottery  like Metallica does. They don't need the money at this point so i think it's more than the right thing to do.
Carpe Diem

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #153 on: October 13, 2011, 11:38:37 AM »
They don't need the money at this point

What are you talking about?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline N4Player

« Reply #154 on: October 15, 2011, 11:11:06 PM »
I think the fact the band came out after the show to meet with us says so much. I am still in awe of that. JP coming out at the last minute almost made me faint (floppy salmon in the path of a bear). I wasn't expecting to see him but he went out of his way for us. They could have easily driven off and there was no reason for anyone to get upset if they did. Considering they had two more shows in a row it would have been understandable. They owe us nothing. Beyond that, we all got more than our money's worth from their performance. They absolutely deserve to get paid for VIP and those that pay deserve the perks. I would have paid for it myself but I have a friend who has a connection at the venue so I couldn't stall to secure my tickets and wait for VIP to go on sale. I got 6th row on JP's side so no regrets. At the end of the day Dream Theater is their 'job' and they should be paid for every aspect of it. Money is not a motivator for them. I wouldn't tell my boss not to pay my overtime because he has already paid my regular salary for so long. The last Metallica concert I went to I literally felt that money was their only motivation and I was being ripped off. A lead guitarist that cannot pull off his any of his own solos, God awful tone, and a drummer that half-assed or missed beats on the hard stuff because he was too out of shape to pull it off. Then there are the songs that never make the setlist because they are too hard to pull off live.Overpaid and underworked. Dream Theater the total opposite in all those respects.