Author Topic: 2011-10-06 - Massey Hall - Toronto, ON  (Read 34371 times)

Offline pietro123

• The Silent Man
  • |eruditio.vivo|
Re: 2011-10-06 - Massey Hall - Toronto, ON
« Reply #105 on: October 06, 2011, 10:36:39 PM »
Unbelievable show. Front row, centre. Right in front of LaBrie and Petrucci. Petrucci made direct eye-contact with me at the end of Forsaken. Yeah!!!! That guy in the front there who was dancing/air-guitaring/fist-pumping way over the top...yeah, that was me. Haha. And what can I say about Breaking All Illusions? When they played Outcry earlier than expected, I began to get very suspicious, in a good way. Then the opening riff to BAI a few songs later. Night complete. Thank you Dream Theater, you've managed to surprised me yet again.

All were at the top of their game. Mangini is too good (refer to drum solo). The acoustic set was perfectly placed in the set. The ending of BTS flowed perfectly into Outcry. Just amazing.
Through Nature's inflexible grace, I'm learning to live.

Offline Onearmedmidget

« Reply #106 on: October 06, 2011, 10:59:39 PM »
Best setlist of the tour IMO. Having outcry and BAI in there was unbelievable! Never liked the great debate and thought it was a mood killer.

Everyone was on their game. Nothing more to say.

Setlist C ftw

Forgot to add some Neil Peart sections in the drum solo.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 11:06:01 PM by Onearmedmidget »

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #107 on: October 06, 2011, 11:09:03 PM »
Best setlist of the tour IMO. Having outcry and BAI in there was unbelievable! Never liked the great debate and thought it was a mood killer.

Exactly what I thought.

Man, meeting them tonight was unreal... Best concert ever!
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #108 on: October 06, 2011, 11:14:56 PM »
Dammit. I wanted something like Setlist C.

I'm jealous, guys.  :eek
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Tumdace

« Reply #109 on: October 06, 2011, 11:19:11 PM »
OH MAN WHAT A SHOW! Outcry AND Breaking All Illusions made my night, thats for sure!

Those two songs are amazing live, and everyone nailed it.

I loved Mike Mangini. So much energy put into his drumming, and Labrie nailed those high notes (anyone catch the scream at the end of BMUBMD and in the middle of UAGM?).

Good stuff all around.

« Reply #110 on: October 06, 2011, 11:26:52 PM »
(anyone catch the scream at the end of BMUBMD and in the middle of UAGM?).
Yeah, he was on. That was intense.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #111 on: October 07, 2011, 12:21:48 AM »
Awesome show!!!!

Trivium was ok too.

Offline N4Player

« Reply #112 on: October 07, 2011, 01:23:35 AM »
I was mauled by a bear, nunchucked by a ninja, stabbed by a pirate, had a spell cast on me by a wizard, and was beaten by a genie while all my wishes came true. In short, the most amazing night of my life. Can't believe we got Outcry and BAI in one set. That was so killer. I would never have believed that this band could get better but they have. Such a difference in their stage persona it was unreal. I have no sufficient words to capture what I experienced tonight. I hope all of you get to see them. Left me breathless!

To cap off an already perfect night, all 5 members jumped off the bus to come and meet and greet the small crowd that hung around. I got to tell JP how I feel and what he has meant to me, and got a great pic with Mike whom I have idolized for 16 years since his days in Extreme. I was so overjoyed to see him again. What an amazing character. JMX was so gracious and a treat to meet. Told him he has to write more lyrics and that brought a big smile to his face. Jordan signed my iPhone case, and James was taking pics with everyone. What a joyous night I cannot believe it. I have nothing further to say that would be coherent other than what exemplary musicians and human beings.

Offline pinchylarue

« Reply #113 on: October 07, 2011, 01:41:34 AM »
hey thegreatpretender,

I was at the meet and greet with you too. I was the guy talking to you in the line. how did you get your picture already? did they send them out?

« Reply #114 on: October 07, 2011, 03:15:46 AM »
Which guy specifically? lol

They don't send them out, you gotta go to https://vipnation.smugmug.com and type in the code that you should've gotten in your Itinerary email.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 03:27:59 AM by TheGreatPretender »

Offline Rob801

« Reply #115 on: October 07, 2011, 03:56:45 AM »
Wow! Six out of nine songs from the new album, that's just frigging  :metal!!! Now if we could just get them to put in LNF and TITL in the same set (don't care about FFH) I'd be xtra happy (can ya tell I like the new album... a LOT...  ;D).

But congrats on getting to see a new set last night. I'm really excited to see what happens over here next year!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #116 on: October 07, 2011, 05:55:00 AM »
What a concert.  Can't say too much more that hasn't been said already.  Mangini is a thrill.  He's as animated as anyone else in the band - maybe the most.  I found myself watching him more than anyone else on stage.  James was dynamite, hitting a ton of killer notes.  Even at the end of the night, the last note from UaGM "Praying for time to disappeeeeeaaaaaaaarrrrrrr!"  Loved his pirate cloak that he had for the first few songs.  Petrucci is a beast.  Man, his pipes are huge.  And vocally... he just looks like he's having the time of his life with full-time responsibility for the backing vocals now.

As I mentioned, James introduced his mom right before Forsaken... she was about 6 seats away from me.  Tried to snap a pic, but it didn't work out so good. 

Setlist was an absolute dream.  I was in heaven with Endless Sacrifice and Fatal Tragedy ... 2 of my top 3 favorite instrumental sections (Octavarium being my fav).  Outcry AND Breaking All Illusions.  Schwing!  When they played Outcry early, I was absolutely convinced BAI would be the closer, and went nuts when JP started the opening riff.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dorkmaster Flek

« Reply #117 on: October 07, 2011, 06:06:53 AM »
Man, what a show!  Evidently everybody already knows about the mysterious setlist C, but it was literally the best of both previous sets for me.  The acoustic set was a great breather, we got Outcry AND BAI in one set, and the better closer IMO in UAGM.  Absolutely amazing show!  Mangini is a gorram monster, and he just has so much fun!  He's constantly amazed at the huge crowd of people cheering for him.  He seems honestly overwhelmed by the whole touring thing and he has such a big goofy smile, he's like a puppy dog.  You can't help but love him.  :biggrin:

Offline Tumdace

« Reply #118 on: October 07, 2011, 06:25:04 AM »
That solo was beast. He had some pretty fast drumming and some of the beats he was laying down were super cool.

Then right into the Ytse Jam, without hesitation.

Man this guy is a beast.

Offline Onearmedmidget

« Reply #119 on: October 07, 2011, 06:52:38 AM »
Short story, I was with a friend who's not much of a DT fan. He enjoys petrucci guitar work, I sent him the new album so he could somewhat enjoy the concert. He was so amazed and the precision of the music. He was like "This is like note for note exactly like the recording"
Then he did the following, pulled out his iPhone during breaking all illusions and ran Shazam(tells you the name and artist of songs by recording a snippet of an album track). It actually recognized the song as breaking all illusions.

Note the FAQ on Shazams site:

Does Shazam work with live music?
Shazam only works with pre-recorded music - but it does work with recorded live sessions(I.E. Score or Budokan).

Once again DT surpasses humans beings. 

Offline erniesballs

« Reply #120 on: October 07, 2011, 08:03:24 AM »
This was the 4th time i've seen DT and without a doubt this was the best show they've put on. I've never seen the band so incredibly happy on stage and animated. I hate to be the devils advocate but frankly I think it's because MP is gone. He controlled the band in a lot of aspects and the way they presented themselves on stage was certainly one of them. JP jumping on top of his stands, getting on his knees in front of the crowd, JM actually smiled a lot and moved around on stage.

Labrie is getting fat.

end of review
Carpe Diem

Offline Stonestef

« Reply #121 on: October 07, 2011, 09:38:39 AM »
MM had written on his FB status : " Accordingly, I may throw a special melody into my solo tonight :):):)" .I was guessing something like YYZ .Did he do something eventually?

Offline ibosmiley

« Reply #122 on: October 07, 2011, 09:57:01 AM »
Sweet you got both Outcry and BAI in the set!  I wonder if they'll do that in DC?  If they do, I'd rather them switch out Endless Sacrifice than The Great Debate... I haven't seen The Great Debate live yet.
"Are you listening to the words I say.  In the meadows my thoughts dance and play.  I know now I'm the only one.  Who can convince the rising sun"

Offline johnnysuperfan

« Reply #123 on: October 07, 2011, 10:05:49 AM »
Last night's was among the best DT shows I've attended. The set list was perfect, no complaints. Got to sit on Mangini's kit backstage right before the show, Mangini's drum solo and Outcry and Breaking All Illusions in the same set, unreal  :)

James voice is amazing especially on the acoustic songs. DT is more rejuvenated then ever before. I was floored by Mangini. After seeing him on stage, he really fitted in tight with the band. The crowd acceptance welcoming Mike into DT was amazing to see. He is the perfect replacement and here to stay. Met him after at the bus, amazing person as well as a drummer. When Petrucci did the solo on Breaking All Illusions, it was like I expected it to be. My jaw droppedd and I froze in amazement, just like I did on Razor's Edge  ;D

Backstage I got to meet a lot of the crew you've all seen in the DVD's. All of them were great. Met Petrucci at the bus, got my tourbook signed but no pic, phone battery went out. Arrggghh. Next time I hope.

Trivium, I really liked. They had the crowd going. Really nice guys too.  ;D

I had a great time, thanks DT!!!  :metal  :yarr  :hefdaddy   ;D

pics:

« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 10:51:20 AM by johnnysuperfan »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #124 on: October 07, 2011, 10:16:02 AM »
Wow!  You had some incredible access!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline weezul

« Reply #125 on: October 07, 2011, 10:16:29 AM »
so envious johnny!! nice one
https://www.liamgaughan.com
--Production--Performance--Tuition--

Offline johnnysuperfan

« Reply #126 on: October 07, 2011, 10:23:45 AM »
Wow!  You had some incredible access!

ahhh thanks, props to Mike Mangini's tech, Eric Disrude.   :hefdaddy

Check out the drumlandia page on Facebook and you"ll see my pic posted there. I met Eric in Cleveland back in 2008 and got to sit on Portnoy's kit. He remembered me, haha. I'm still stokkedd from last night  :) ;D

Offline pinchylarue

« Reply #127 on: October 07, 2011, 10:37:09 AM »
Which guy specifically? lol

They don't send them out, you gotta go to https://vipnation.smugmug.com and type in the code that you should've gotten in your Itinerary email.

I was the guy behind you n the line with the dt shirt that had just their faces on it, i also had a leather jacket.
is there anyway you could pm me the password? my friend is the only one who has access to the email and he is going to be passed out until god knows when LOL

Offline pinchylarue

« Reply #128 on: October 07, 2011, 10:39:29 AM »

how do you insert pictures? can someone help me out?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #129 on: October 07, 2011, 10:41:15 AM »
Great reviews.  Personally, I would have been bummed if I went in expecting The Great Debate and it got cut, especially for Breaking All Illusions.  But I know I'm probably in the minority on that one.  Glad you guys enjoyed it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline johnnysuperfan

« Reply #130 on: October 07, 2011, 10:48:47 AM »

how do you insert pictures? can someone help me out?

click on insert image, go to properties of your pic and copy paste URL in between.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #131 on: October 07, 2011, 10:50:51 AM »
And make sure it's a .jpg (or some picture format) file... not just the url of the site that has the picture.

You can always double check with the "preview" button to make sure you got it right.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pinchylarue

« Reply #132 on: October 07, 2011, 10:51:10 AM »

Offline pinchylarue

« Reply #133 on: October 07, 2011, 10:55:33 AM »

Offline pinchylarue

« Reply #134 on: October 07, 2011, 10:56:53 AM »

Offline pinchylarue

« Reply #135 on: October 07, 2011, 10:57:35 AM »
I have some pretty good quaility videos but don't know how to post them

Offline johnnysuperfan

« Reply #136 on: October 07, 2011, 10:58:34 AM »

those pics are unreal ..... thanks for posting them  ;D

Offline Tumdace

« Reply #137 on: October 07, 2011, 10:58:40 AM »
MM had written on his FB status : " Accordingly, I may throw a special melody into my solo tonight :):):)" .I was guessing something like YYZ .Did he do something eventually?

He had a sweet little rhythm thing going with those top drums (sorry Im not a drummer, dont know what they are called). Not sure if he did that before, but it sounded awesome.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #138 on: October 07, 2011, 11:03:45 AM »

He had a sweet little rhythm thing going with those top drums (sorry Im not a drummer, dont know what they are called). Not sure if he did that before, but it sounded awesome.
Octobans.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline wilgod3p

« Reply #139 on: October 07, 2011, 12:26:24 PM »
Great reviews.  Personally, I would have been bummed if I went in expecting The Great Debate and it got cut, especially for Breaking All Illusions.  But I know I'm probably in the minority on that one.  Glad you guys enjoyed it.

same for me, I hope they keep The great debate tomorrow in quebec city