Poll

What do you think of Trivium touring with DT?

Not a fan
88 (46.3%)
Love them
26 (13.7%)
I don't really mind
76 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 183

Author Topic: Dream Theater and Trivium?  (Read 11557 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Dream Theater and Trivium?
« Reply #70 on: September 28, 2011, 01:03:22 AM »
I don't know what most of you have against Trivium.
I quite like them,
a little too much screaming(but they do it better than MP IMO), but otherwise not so bad.

You answered your own question. Prog fans don't like metal metal, especially if there's screaming. I remember the same complaining when Into Eternity opened for DT too.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline tristl

• DTF.org Alumni
  • when dreams and tristl unite
« Reply #71 on: September 28, 2011, 02:15:54 AM »
I quite like them,
a little too much screaming(but they do it better than MP IMO), but otherwise not so bad.

You answered your own question. Prog fans don't like metal metal, especially if there's screaming. I remember the same complaining when Into Eternity opened for DT too.

what did you think of MP's screaming then personally?
Carpe diem baby

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: September 28, 2011, 02:20:16 AM »
I quite like them,

what did you think of MP's screaming then personally?

I don't consider anything MP did vocally to be screaming or growling. But I don't mind that kind of vocal anyway, and I liked most of MP's vocals in DT.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: September 28, 2011, 02:26:19 AM »
MP's screaming (more like "yelling") always had that sterile vibe to it, like you could tell he kinda wanted to go all out but he knew the band and most of the fans weren't going to have any of that. As a result, his lead vocals always sounded neither here nor there to me, but just very middle of the road and lukewarm. And lukewarm is almost never a good thing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: September 28, 2011, 02:32:43 AM »
MP's screaming (more like "yelling") always had that sterile vibe to it, like you could tell he kinda wanted to go all out but he knew the band and most of the fans weren't going to have any of that. As a result, his lead vocals always sounded neither here nor there to me, but just very middle of the road and lukewarm. And lukewarm is almost never a good thing.

I disagree. By his demo vocals on ANTR, perhaps he did want to go all out more often, but I don't think his regular spoken style vocals felt restrained or sterile, personally.

Offline tristl

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2011, 02:40:09 AM »

I disagree. By his demo vocals on ANTR, perhaps he did want to go all out more often, but I don't think his regular spoken style vocals felt restrained or sterile, personally.

as much as i like your artwork on the new show :hefdaddy,  and as much i am looking forward seeing it myself life next year,in this case i am absolutly with Perpetual Change. :tup
Carpe diem baby

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2011, 03:12:48 AM »

They remind me of why I don't like to Top 40 hard rock, personally.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2011, 04:00:06 AM »

They remind me of why I don't like to Top 40 hard rock, personally.

What kind of bands are we talking about? I don't hear any connection or relation, although I'm not up on what's top 40.

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2011, 04:06:02 AM »
Can't stand them.

I'd rather see DT tour with something like PoS, Symphony X, Opeth or something like that. Why don't they ever tour with new prog metal bands like Andromeda or bands that are great but don't get enough exposure, like Threshold? They had to choose Trivium.

Offline tristl

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2011, 04:36:25 AM »
Can't stand them.

I'd rather see DT tour with something like PoS, Symphony X, Opeth or something like that. Why don't they ever tour with new prog metal bands like Andromeda or bands that are great but don't get enough exposure, like Threshold? They had to choose Trivium.

They toured with Symphony X at the Chaos in Motion Tour in Germany, i personally didn't like them at all live!
Carpe diem baby

Offline Chrissalix

« Reply #80 on: September 28, 2011, 05:57:42 AM »
Trivium are very decent but it's a strange pairing. I guess it's a label ploy so that the bands can feed off each other's respective fanbases. Roadrunner have done it in the UK and put 2 of their bigger bands on co-headline tours like The Black Crusade tour which had smaller RR bands on it as well.

Anyway, you guys should all go and watch Trivium with an open mind instead of going in late. They might surprise you. They're as big as they are for a reason and that's because they're better than every other metalcore band out there. Their frontman is an absolute star both as a vocalist (he was pretty terrible, but he has sorted it out majorly) and as guitarist. He worships the ground Petrucci walks on. He uses Rock Discipline to warm up. He's no mug. Obviously they're metal and not prog so it's not for everyone on here but they're not generic bullshit. It's also worth bearing in mind that their new album is their 5th and they're still in their early 20s, which is mad.

I'm probably being too harsh on them. I'm not going to go in late, I will definitely stay for their set and listen with an open mind. That is crazy that they're on their 5th album...

Now that the album's out, I take the back "not generic bullshit comment" because that new album pretty much defines that. Shame, because Shogun was so, so, so good when it wanted to be.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #81 on: September 28, 2011, 01:58:34 PM »
I wish DT would take Theocracy on the road.  I would die.

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #82 on: September 28, 2011, 06:41:21 PM »
Been trying to get into these guys since the first album and they just bore the shit out me. It's not even the vocals (I'm a huge Soilwork fan), but they're just very generic.

Hey, I just realized Soilwork wouumld be a great opener for DT...
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 06:46:22 PM by WildeSilas »
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: September 29, 2011, 12:51:25 AM »
What kind of bands are we talking about? I don't hear any connection or relation, although I'm not up on what's top 40.
I'm talking about when you turn on the radio and hear something really heavy, and suddenly this guy comes in singing in an angry voice, but not too angry, because you don't want to offend the people listening to the radio and make them change the station.

That, to me, is the epitome of Mike's vocals. Sorry, Mike.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: September 29, 2011, 12:55:28 AM »
I'm talking about when you turn on the radio and hear something really heavy, and suddenly this guy comes in singing in an angry voice, but not too angry, because you don't want to offend the people listening to the radio and make them change the station.

That, to me, is the epitome of Mike's vocals. Sorry, Mike.

I was just asking for specific bands, because I don't even own a radio or listen to popular music, so I don't know what stuff passes for mainstream rock/metal these days. Because I'm getting a metalcore vibe from your description, and MP's vocals don't really fit with what I'm thinking when I read that.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: September 29, 2011, 11:04:02 AM »
What MP did on vocally on DT songs is pretty much the same thing he's doing in the back ground of this video https://youtu.be/uJEaXctFJsM :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline DKB-DT

« Reply #86 on: September 30, 2011, 08:06:35 AM »
Does anyone know how long Trivium's set typically is for this tour? I am going to the D.C. show straight from work, and I want to know approximately when D.T. will be coming on so that I can time it correctly.  :yarr

Offline Ħ

« Reply #87 on: October 02, 2011, 02:00:27 PM »
Does anyone know how long Trivium's set typically is for this tour? I am going to the D.C. show straight from work, and I want to know approximately when D.T. will be coming on so that I can time it correctly.  :yarr
I wanna say 50 minutes or so.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline lithium112

« Reply #88 on: October 02, 2011, 02:25:55 PM »
I like Trivium's latest two albums and I think they did a pretty good job, but at the Seattle show their sound was mixed terribly. The drums were WAY too loud.

Offline Rossi

« Reply #89 on: October 02, 2011, 03:40:12 PM »
I've been trying a couple of songs recommended by a friend who really likes them, but I just dont like them. Screamo vocals really aren't my cup of tea.
But I won't be avoiding them at the concert, because in my experience, live shows are really about the energy. Music I would never ever listen to on my ipod is sometimes amazing live. Im hoping for a similar experience :)
And I agree with others in this thread that I hope the Dream Theater will gain additional fans from the TriviumPeriphery-crowd.

edit: meh, I was talking about Periphery offcourse. US = Trivium, Europe = Periphery. Still, my message applies to both bands ;)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 06:52:39 PM by Rossi »

Offline Nofire

« Reply #90 on: October 02, 2011, 04:14:04 PM »
I saw Trivium open up for Iron Maiden in Stockholm 2006 and I must say that they did a pretty good job. Their music is a bit too metal for me sometimes with all the screaming and stuff, but they are certainly talented and seem to be decent guys. I don't know why, but somehow they make me think of young metallica and how people percieved their music back then. Maybe because Matt Heafys (singer/guitarist) looks remind me of a young James Hetfield. And also, their cover of Master of Puppets is excellent. I wish they would record a CD covering only old Metallica songs, haha :P

Anyway, I think they are a good fit to open for DT. It's a shame that they aren't opening for them in Europe. I would have loved to see/hear that.
Trapped inside this Octavarium