Author Topic: Overrated DT Songs  (Read 10284 times)

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Overrated DT Songs
« Reply #105 on: August 03, 2011, 05:48:45 PM »
Unfortunately, one of the only things that has me a bit wary of ADToE is that I almost get a "playing it safe" vibe collectively from these reviews.  That is that, in spite of the shake-up, DT have been careful not to stray from their established sound throughout.  It may or may not be true, and may even be a good thing in the eyes of some people, but it does sort of put a damper on the excitement for new musical freedom for the band.  Still really excited to hear it, though.

-J

People are more apt to point out DT playing it safe now that Portnoy is gone it seems. I mean they have been playing it safe for the last few albums but you'd only find any one or two reviews of those albums to even point it out. Maybe expectations are too high for the band to pull something drastic because of the member shift or people really find Portnoy's presence as almost something of a comfort that the band has done something great.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #106 on: August 03, 2011, 07:13:48 PM »
Metropolis -Maybe I've just heard it too many times. It is a great song, the first of its kind, but it doesn't give me the excitement factor that I still get from other tracks from Images such as TTT, LtL and UAGM.
*sigh*... I agree with this. Metropolis.

*Covers face so he doesn't get hurt by stones*

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: August 03, 2011, 07:48:11 PM »
Metropolis -Maybe I've just heard it too many times. It is a great song, the first of its kind, but it doesn't give me the excitement factor that I still get from other tracks from Images such as TTT, LtL and UAGM.
*sigh*... I agree with this. Metropolis.

*Covers face so he doesn't get hurt by stones*

*throws stones at stomach*

... I don't have any problem with your thinking Metropolis is overrated, it's just that my default reaction to someone *covering their face* is to *attack them elsewhere*.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #108 on: August 03, 2011, 08:10:09 PM »
Unfortunately, one of the only things that has me a bit wary of ADToE is that I almost get a "playing it safe" vibe collectively from these reviews.  That is that, in spite of the shake-up, DT have been careful not to stray from their established sound throughout.  It may or may not be true, and may even be a good thing in the eyes of some people, but it does sort of put a damper on the excitement for new musical freedom for the band.  Still really excited to hear it, though.

-J

People are more apt to point out DT playing it safe now that Portnoy is gone it seems. I mean they have been playing it safe for the last few albums but you'd only find any one or two reviews of those albums to even point it out. Maybe expectations are too high for the band to pull something drastic because of the member shift or people really find Portnoy's presence as almost something of a comfort that the band has done something great.

It also depends on what people are defining as "playing it safe." Does it mean:

1) Not going all out musically
2) Letting a song be a song and not some crazy wankfest/instrumental madness
3) Holding back the musical creativity because the group dynamic changed
4) something else etc. etc.

Maybe it's just me that is kinda confused as to how this is being defined exactly. Or maybe that's the point. Orcus, help me out here buddy. I need you now in my darkest hour.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #109 on: August 03, 2011, 08:22:15 PM »
I guess it all depends on how a person perceives their music. Think of Trunk's comment of "DT sounding like DT". That's how I felt when I heard Black Clouds for the first time. It has more to do with the surprise element of the music which could be hindered by using similar sounding production/effects, musical vocabulary, the solo trade-offs, etc. To use my unpopular example for why I think songs from the last three albums could be shuffled up into three different albums and no one would know there's just a writing style that the band doesn't break from that I personally see. They use pretty much the same gear, tones, production, song construction and with each successive product the more I think "yep, about what I expected". Essentially I think what the reviewers might be talking about is they have this specific sound in their head of DT or DT with Mangini will sound like and the end result is matching it, which can almost be a let down in a way because, let's face it, deep down everyone wants to be in awe whenever they first hear something.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #110 on: August 03, 2011, 08:30:28 PM »
Oh! Wow how did I not see that before?

Yeah, I agree nowadays that DT have been playing it safe on the last 2 albums. I don't (and will never!) agree about 8VM being in that lump, though...production is a lot different to my ears, as is the feel of the songwriting. But that is beside the point.

By using your definition which makes complete sense, OTBOA showed me that this is a new era for DT in regards to how things are done. Production sounds way better than SC and BC&SL. Songwriting feels trimmer and like it was given some time to sit. If that's how others are going to define the new song (and album) as playing it safe, I'm great with that. I'd rather DT do what they do best than try to break the mold (DAY AFTER DAY for example...ugh). Even if it means it may sound a bit formulaic...their formula, when used right, is awesome.

Offline m0hawk

« Reply #111 on: August 03, 2011, 10:15:09 PM »
Trial of Tears - The song shines during the vocal passages. All other times, though, it feels rather emotionless. Ambient sections can be brilliant if used in the right way (as TCOT showed)

A Change of Seasons - A great first attempt at an epic. Carpe Diem and Another World are magical. The rest of the song, however, can't match that greatness. I really wish they reworked the song around by cutting away all the excess fat, and then it would have deserved its #1 spot that many people here hail it as.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #112 on: August 04, 2011, 07:07:05 AM »
The obvious answer is, Space Dye Vest.
Big deal.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #113 on: August 04, 2011, 07:11:34 AM »
I think Metropolis is too underrated on the forum, its DT's best song IMO. The only other song I will accept at #1 is ACOS.

Offline Bill Carson

« Reply #114 on: August 04, 2011, 09:11:43 AM »
The Glass Prison for me.
Yes it has a fantastic intro and instrumental section but the song it self...well its okay at best.
No melodies stick out bar the ending vocal....which btw is very reminiscent of the Yngwie Malmsteen outro on "Icarus' Dream Suite".
That aside we are treated to Metallica rip off vocal sections and...well, its rather uninspiring.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: August 04, 2011, 09:37:17 AM »
I have to agree that I don't think Octavarium is in the same category as SC and BCSL.  I think 8V sounds completely different and is of a much higher caliber of song writing.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?