Author Topic: Overrated DT Songs  (Read 10285 times)

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Overrated DT Songs
« on: August 01, 2011, 08:01:59 PM »
What are some DT songs that you think gets more praise than it really should? I like every DT song, but I don't think some are as good as many make it out to be.

ITPOE
The Ministry of Lost Souls
As I Am
A Fortune In Lies ( my least favorite WDADU song)
Home
6:00

Offline fllnsprrw

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Overrated DT Songs
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 08:07:20 PM »
I don't see those songs being overrated at all...if anything, they're underrated...
1. Images & Words/ 2. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence/ 3. Scenes From a Memory

Offline bss4life15

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 08:08:13 PM »
What are some DT songs that you think gets more praise than it really should? I like every DT song, but I don't think some are as good as many make it out to be.

ITPOE
As I Am
Home
A lot of people dislike TMOLS.

I think Trial of Tears gets to much praise.  It's a good song but the instrumental section just drags and drags on forever, and the first section of the song is kind of lackluster for me.  The Wasteland is the only part i like all the way through.  The lyrics are very good though.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 08:08:25 PM »
A Change of Seasons

/thread

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 08:09:19 PM »
I see alot of people talk about The Ministry of Lost Souls and ITPOE. I think A Fortune In Lies won the WDADU survivor.

Offline bss4life15

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 08:10:31 PM »

Offline Nefyn

• M-Dave
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 08:10:43 PM »
ITPOE
Home
These and Metropolis... Don't hurt me?

Offline LKap13

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 08:11:36 PM »
Disagree with ITPOE because it's a great song (pt 1 is prob their best stuff since octavarium). Disagree with TMOLS because it's rated fairly low as far as I know. And as for Home and 6:00, those are both DT classics in my book.
As I Am, yea I can see that, but it's not raved about so much for me to take the time to call it "overrated".

In my book, overrated tracks include: TCOT and Trial of Tears. TCOT is plainly overrated, whereas ToT is a little more of a nuanced option. While I think it's an awesome song, I don't quite understand why it's thought of much more highly than Lines in the Sand. I've always thought of ToT and LiTS to be very comparable in quality. Mind you they're both 8.5-9/10

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 08:12:21 PM »
ITPOE
Home
These and Metropolis... Don't hurt me?

Well...about that.  :biggrin:

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 08:19:54 PM »
6:00 is also highly overrated, and The Glass Prison.

Offline scoutmasterdave

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 08:24:07 PM »
In my book, The Count of Tuscany is easily the most overrated DT song.  The music is good, sometimes great, but the lyrics are simply cringe-inducing.  Normally I'm not one to give a damn about lyrics - and half the time you can't understand James anyway - but I have a hard time with that one.

Offline MetropolisxPt1

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 08:25:24 PM »
Disappear, TGP and misunderstood

Offline IJewBear

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 08:29:29 PM »
This is a dangerous thread.

Space-Dye Vest.

Offline VioletS16

• Forum crazy snake lady
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 08:29:51 PM »
In my book, The Count of Tuscany is easily the most overrated DT song.  The music is good, sometimes great, but the lyrics are simply cringe-inducing.  Normally I'm not one to give a  @#!*%  about lyrics - and half the time you can't understand James anyway - but I have a hard time with that one.
This x100
TCOT is just stupidly overrated. I just can't understand how JP could go from something like Voices or UNAGM to that.  >:(

I'm better at thinking of underrated ones like SDV and AROP.
3 corn snakes, 1 boa, 1 python, 1 milk snake, 1 king snake, 1 rat snake, and a partridge in a pear tree.
RIP Piccolini and Maya

Offline Slain

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 08:34:48 PM »
In my book, The Count of Tuscany is easily the most overrated DT song.  The music is good, sometimes great, but the lyrics are simply cringe-inducing.  Normally I'm not one to give a  @#!*%  about lyrics - and half the time you can't understand James anyway - but I have a hard time with that one.
This x100
TCOT is just stupidly overrated. I just can't understand how JP could go from something like Voices or UNAGM to that.  >:(

I'm better at thinking of underrated ones like SDV and AROP.

I hate to be "that guy" to come in and defend the lyrics, because they aren't good, but there are plenty of prog bands that people never criticize that have written things just as cheesy. I guess the standard is extremely high, though... I get it. But they are fun in a cheesy sort of way.

I've never really thought that Ministry of Lost Souls was overrated, most people here bash that song for the instrumental section.
Quote from: MarlaHooch
Just amazing.  DT should count their lucky stars that some of their fans are at this level of unconditional cult worship.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 08:43:59 PM »

I've never really thought that Ministry of Lost Souls was overrated, most people here bash that song for the instrumental section.

And that happens to be the best part

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2011, 08:46:04 PM »
The Count of Tuscany's lyrics work for me because the song just has this fun/humorous undertone. Oh well, I guess.

And I agree that A Change of Seasons is overrated, it's an awesome song but they've got a good bit of better material.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2011, 08:50:59 PM »
*braces for shit-storm*

Trial of Tears
The Spirit Carries On
Blind Faith
Space Dye-Vest
The Great Debate
Lifting Shadows Off a Dream

For the record, ‘overrated’ is not synonymous with ‘bad’.  I don’t dislike these songs, I just don’t like them nearly as much as most fans seem to.

Disagree with ITPOE because it's a great song (pt 1 is prob their best stuff since octavarium).

... It's also their first song since Octavarium...
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2011, 08:59:35 PM »
*braces for shit-storm*

The Great Debate

:sadpanda:

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2011, 09:00:47 PM »
Disagree with ITPOE because it's a great song (pt 1 is prob their best stuff since octavarium).

... It's also their first song since Octavarium...

:lol

Trial of Tears - I like the lyrics, but I don't find the song incredibly interesting. I prefer LITS and especially HK.
Raw Dog - It needs to be hated more than it is. (And it's very hated)

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2011, 09:17:45 PM »
Octavarium. I just don't like it. Sorry.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2011, 09:21:18 PM »
Learning To Live.

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2011, 09:35:16 PM »
I never really understood why Metropolis is so revered. Nice song, but I wish it was longer--I feel like there really could have been more vocals to balance out the long instrumental section. Definitely a fun song with few weaknesses, but top 10? I just don't see it.

ToT and LITS drag too much for me to really get into them, though they have good sections. And ACOS is great, but I actually find it to be the weakest epic (of 20+ mins) except for maaaaaaaaaaybe SDOIT.

I find Erotomania and SOC to drag on for too long. Erotomania does redeem itself a fair bit in the middle, but SOCs last 7 minutes (after the solo) put me to sleep.

And SDV, because it's just not my type of thing. It's well executed for what it is though.

*hides*
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2011, 09:52:41 PM »
Pretty much every popular song will be labeled overrated, but for me it would:

Metropolis- Oh yes I went there. :xbones Obviously not a bad song by any means, but never completely comes together for me. Always felt like a good song surrounded by a bunch of great songs on I&W, but I guess plenty of others disagree. ;)

A Change of Seasons-  I don't have any specific complaints against it except that of all of DT's epics this one feels it's length the, even Six Degrees which has more variety to compensate. Granted it does have some of the best moments of high-quality lyrics and LaBrie's vocals in the band's catalogue, but the song doesn't maintain my interest level like say ITPOE or TCOT which fly by.

and maybe In The Name of God, if only because some people seem to short-change the rest of ToT when it's regarded as the standout track.

Offline wammabe

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2011, 11:04:33 PM »
ITPOE
As I Am
Home

6:00 has really cool riffs, great drumming, and one of JLB best vocals IMO, I think it should get a lot of praise. I love Home, but I can understand why you'd say its overrated since my brother doesn't bother listening anything in SFAM aside from Home -.-

If anything, most songs that I think are overrated are really disliked in DTF. I've seen people that really love Constant Motion, Forsaken, Panic attack, The Dark Eternal Night, and they never really bother listening to any other Dream Theater song.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2011, 11:07:57 PM »
ITPOE
As I Am
Home

6:00 has really cool riffs, great drumming, and one of JLB best vocals IMO, I think it should get a lot of praise. I love Home, but I can understand why you'd say its overrated since my brother doesn't bother listening anything in SFAM aside from Home -.-

If anything, most songs that I think are overrated are really disliked in DTF. I've seen people that really love Constant Motion, Forsaken, Panic attack, The Dark Eternal Night, and they never really bother listening to any other Dream Theater song.

The songs I listen to least in SFAM are Home and Through Her Eyes.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2011, 11:15:59 PM »
I never really understood why Metropolis is so revered. Nice song, but I wish it was longer--I feel like there really could have been more vocals to balance out the long instrumental section. Definitely a fun song with few weaknesses, but top 10? I just don't see it.

I sorta agree. I've always heard it considered their "Master Of Puppets" and for only slightly similar reasons (first time any band had really accomplished that kind of composition in that fashion). I appreciate the song as a piece but the riffing just doesn't interest me as much as some of the other stuff on the album.

The OP kinda made me think about "A Fortune In Lies". I love the song to death but the production kind of muddles its power. It's a really bombastic song that never really gets a chance to shine, sonically.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2011, 11:17:49 PM »

I sorta agree. I've always heard it considered their "Master Of Puppets" and for only slightly similar reasons (first time any band had really accomplished that kind of composition in that fashion). I appreciate the song as a piece but the riffing just doesn't interest me as much as some of the other stuff on the album.

The OP kinda made me think about "A Fortune In Lies". I love the song to death but the production kind of muddles its power. It's a really bombastic song that never really gets a chance to shine, sonically.

I bet if the quality was better, I would like it much more. I recently listened to WDADU, and I found that A Fortune In Lies was the weakest on that album. I still like the song alot though.

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2011, 11:24:09 PM »

I bet if the quality was better, I would like it much more. I recently listened to WDADU, and I found that A Fortune In Lies was the weakest on that album. I still like the song alot though.

Luckily, there are versions of it on Live in Tokyo and Live at the Marquee that do the composition far more justice, IMO.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2011, 11:25:07 PM »
Yeah, the LATM one is awesome.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2011, 11:37:33 PM »
Trial of Tears
ITPOE part 1 ONLY
In The Name Of God

Everything else is rated just right.

I would have said Pull Me Under, but since Score, it has moved to the underrated category, since its not shoved in our faces at shows anymore, and the band has moved on from their one big hit. I always thought it was a well written song and a great opener to I&W.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2011, 11:54:45 PM »
A Fortune in Lies
Pull Me Under
Metropolis
Under a Glass Moon
Learning to Live
Scarred
Finally Free
In the Name of God
The Count of Tuscany

off the top of my head.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2011, 12:00:47 AM »
Luckily, there are ersions of it on Live in Tokyo and Live at the Marquee that do the composition far more justice, IMO.

Yeah, the LATM one is awesome.

Totally forgot about LATM. Much better than the studio version. I'm listening now.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2011, 12:10:52 AM »
Trial of Tears
ITPOE part 1 ONLY
In The Name Of God

Everything else is rated just right.

I would have said Pull Me Under, but since Score, it has moved to the underrated category, since its not shoved in our faces at shows anymore, and the band has moved on from their one big hit. I always thought it was a well written song and a great opener to I&W.

I don't know how to judge this, considering I like all songs mentioned, agree with the bottom point but disagree with the top. Why only Part 1 of ITPOE?

Offline Aniland

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2011, 12:15:02 AM »
Trial of Tears