Author Topic: 2011-10-23 - Hard Rock Live - Orlando, FL  (Read 15054 times)

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
Re: 2011-10-23 - Hard Rock Live - Orlando, FL
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2011, 09:05:13 AM »
Yeah the security there was bullshit. I'm actually gonna call Hard Rock today and complain (my friend's mother-in-law is the VP). I took a pic of my girlfriend like 20 min before they made the announcement and security walks up to me and says "I see you take your phone out again to take a picture, I'll throw your ass outta here." BEFORE THE ANNOUNCEMENT!!

Then about halfway thru DT's set, they came up to my girlfriend and threatened to kick her out because she was TEXTING her friend about the show and how good it was. They told her she couldn't even have her phone out at all. And then then proceeded to post up and stand right in front of her, blocking her view of the stage. Assholes.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2011, 09:19:54 AM »
Geez.

And after the shows, like any show I go to, I like to hang around the venue and let everyone else go so it's not hard to leave all at once. Security was basically herding us like sheep out the doors.

Offline Marion Crane

« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2011, 09:26:43 AM »
Yeah it was bad.

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2011, 11:38:15 AM »
Yeah it was bad.

Agreed. It was ridiculous.  However, I was surprised at how easy it was to enter the venue 30 minutes later. The front doors were unlocked and the staff didn't seem to care I was there. I guess security was out back at that point.

Also, the setlist variation was interesting. I think it flowed a little better, playing Outcry before Silent Man and BTS.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 12:41:48 PM by RandalGraves »

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2011, 02:03:13 PM »
Yeah it was bad.

Agreed. It was ridiculous.  However, I was surprised at how easy it was to enter the venue 30 minutes later. The front doors were unlocked and the staff didn't seem to care I was there. I guess security was out back at that point.

Also, the setlist variation was interesting. I think it flowed a little better, playing Outcry before Silent Man and BTS.
What was the entire set?
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Marion Crane

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2011, 03:04:20 PM »
We got the Silent man, BTS, Forsaken, UAGM set

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2011, 05:38:51 PM »
  I saw one guy take a pic of Mangini's kit before DT came on. I mean, the house lights were still on, well, they took his ass out.

Wow..that is just not right.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2011, 05:41:42 PM »
  I saw one guy take a pic of Mangini's kit before DT came on. I mean, the house lights were still on, well, they took his ass out.

I'd be beyond pissed if they did that to me.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2011, 08:08:38 AM »

WTF? Were they playing in the goddam Area 51?     :censored
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Marion Crane

« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2011, 09:37:30 AM »
What's really sad is we're not exaggerrating at all.

Offline Gator06

« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2011, 03:15:08 PM »
First time poster. I was at the Orlando show and saw a lot of what people have been talking about regarding the security. I send an email to Hard Rock Corporate and referenced this thread. I just spoke to one of the managers there via phone and he informed me the photography policy was a condition of Dream Theater and not Hard Rock Live. I asked about inbetween sets photos and the issue with cell phones, and he said those were particular areas the band insisted Hard Rock to police and as he said be "proactive" about. He agreed that in a few of the cases security could have been more respectful and that he understands the concern. So it looks like the blame should be shared here. I have to admit thats a fine line for security to walk if they were indeed under those conditions.

On the positive side, that was the best performance I've seen from DT (this was my 3rd time seeing them). I brought my g/f along, who doesn't really listen to them, and she was very impressed in particular with James' voice. She says next time she needs to learn the lyrics so she can sing along, so I think DT just gained a new fan.  :)

Offline Rainee100

• Forum VIP
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2011, 09:21:48 PM »
That's nonsense. It's a Hard Rock policy. The guy is a fibber.
This is from their site:
Due to increased security measure, we suggest arriving 1 hr prior to performance. Cameras and recording devices are not permitted at Hard Rock Live concerts.

People were taking pictures and video taping at the 2 prior FLA shows.

Offline Rainee100

• Forum VIP
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2011, 09:23:43 PM »
When I say "guy" I meant the security guy that lied to you.

Offline tapsmiled

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2011, 10:33:49 PM »
At the pompano Beach show last week, they were doing the same thing. I spoke to the security guy before the show and asked about standing at the stage.  They got word about 15 minutes before the show began that no one was allowed at the stage. He said that it is purely the band's decision.  There was a guy from the production staff who ran around like an insane person going after people who were trying to film.  I dont know what all of the mystery is about, but they were very strict with the rules.  I wonder if DT is trying to keep the Mangini Mystery factor high for this tour.   I would be showing as much of him as possible cause he fucking rocked.

At the Hard Rock Show, did he do the one handed, alternating drum roll?  I haven't seen other vids online of him doing it other than an old clip from when he was with Vai.  Literally has to be seen to be believed.
Do or do not; there is not try.
Trust your Force.  Strong!

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2011, 05:31:16 AM »

No.  As the other poster said, the security at Pompano was very actively enforcing the no photo policy.  This was the first time I have seen this at a DT show at Pompano.  I am sure all venues have a similar policy, but I have not seen it enforced so vigorously as at the DT show.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline kevinpwrs

« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2011, 06:05:16 AM »
At the Hard Rock Show, did he do the one handed, alternating drum roll? 

He did do the one handed roll. Speaking of his drum solo at HRL, during the solo there was a guy standing close to me and my son and he shouted out something outrageously funny! This is exactly what he said. "Oh my God! Please f**k my wife! I want your children!" 

The way he said it  made us laugh so hard.  Thanks buddy.
"You know how you get to Carnegie Hall don't ya? Practice!"

Offline Rainee100

• Forum VIP
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2011, 06:49:49 AM »

No.  As the other poster said, the security at Pompano was very actively enforcing the no photo policy.  This was the first time I have seen this at a DT show at Pompano.  I am sure all venues have a similar policy, but I have not seen it enforced so vigorously as at the DT show.

Tell that to the guy whose camera was blocking my view the entire night... https://s1191.photobucket.com/albums/z480/Rainee100/?action=view&current=2011-10-21_22-58-14_922-1.jpg

You can see my other really bad phone shots from the Hard Rock & Pompano here too.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 06:57:16 AM by Rainee100 »

Offline Gator06

« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2011, 10:55:48 AM »
That's nonsense. It's a Hard Rock policy. The guy is a fibber.
This is from their site:
Due to increased security measure, we suggest arriving 1 hr prior to performance. Cameras and recording devices are not permitted at Hard Rock Live concerts.

You can believe what you want, but I believe the guy. He wasn't security, he was a director of operations and very familiar with Dream Theater. He agreed that their demands were unusual, especially not allowing pictures while the stage was being set up. He said the last two times they were there, DT did not request such tight security (which I can confirm as I was at both shows). The logical reason is something to do with Mike since thats obviously the major change since their last tour.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2011, 11:58:52 AM »
You do realize that she would be the most likely of any of us to have an idea of what DT's policies are and aren't, don't you?

Offline Rainee100

• Forum VIP
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2011, 12:39:26 PM »
You do realize that she would be the most likely of any of us to have an idea of what DT's policies are and aren't, don't you?
Actually after getting off the phone with John 5 minutes ago I stand corrected. He said this is something they just started and I told him fans were really upset about it and he said thanks he's glad I told him and that they will probably drop it. He didn't know that anyone was kicked out and is pretty upset about that too. My bad :blush

Offline Marion Crane

« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2011, 01:59:23 PM »
My bottom line is....there was nothing posted about no photos or videos.  They made us all empty our pockets to go through the metal detector and no one said anything about cell phones/photos/videos.  For them to be policing people who are TEXTING is insane.  HRL is lying about it only being Dream Theater's policy because they don't want their security to be the reason people don't go to shows there anymore.  They need to keep selling their $5.50 Bud Lights to pay the hourly wage for those assholes.

That being said...my girlfriend said it was the best concert she's ever been to.  It was her first time seeing them.  And she has 2 A7X tattoos ;)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 02:36:03 PM by Marion Crane »

Offline kevinpwrs

« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2011, 02:20:08 PM »
Well, one good thing about all this is, least I didn't have to look through/around a sea of cell phones and cameras while DT was onstage. I mean, as close to the stage as we were, I would have got some great close up shots too.  I guess I will trade that to be able to see the concert.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2011, 02:23:03 PM »
Yeah, I was really close and the view almost the whole time was awesome (except for the guy who kept coming back with beers and hanging them over everyone's heads when we walked back to the front).

Offline Marion Crane

« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2011, 02:56:05 PM »
I posted up right in front of JP, about 5 feet back.  His biceps hit me in the face a few times.  EPIC.

Offline johncal

« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2011, 03:14:14 PM »

He did do the one handed roll. Speaking of his drum solo at HRL, during the solo there was a guy standing close to me and my son and he shouted out something outrageously funny! This is exactly what he said. "Oh my God! Please f**k my wife! I want your children!" 

I don't know, maybe I'm getting old but I wouldn't find that funny to hear in front of my son.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2011, 03:30:41 PM »

I don't know, maybe I'm getting old but I wouldn't find that funny to hear in front of my son.

Of course not, but you know, a rock/metal concert may not be the most appropriate place for your son then if you feel that way. At one point I smelled weed during the concert.

Offline Marion Crane

« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2011, 03:39:46 PM »

That was just Jordan's new app called "MorphWeed"

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2011, 03:41:07 PM »
That was just Jordan's new app called "MorphWeed"

Wow, another new app? Jordan is now high on my list of favorite keyboardists.

Offline Marion Crane

« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2011, 03:48:53 PM »
Yeah it emits a euphoric, natural aroma from the speakers on the iPad.  Makes it so your mind slows down ever so slightly so you can hear all of the notes a little easier.  He has yet to make one for JP yet. 

Offline kevinpwrs

« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2011, 03:59:26 PM »

I would feel the same way if my son was younger. He's 23.

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2011, 04:50:47 PM »

Of course not, but you know, a rock/metal concert may not be the most appropriate place for your son then if you feel that way. At one point I smelled weed during the concert.

It's all good. I'm of age.  ;) It was funny for a while but it got annoying. He was yelling something else during "The Silent Man" and I wanted to tell him to shut up.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie