Author Topic: Official "A Dramatic Turn Of Events" Review Thread  (Read 90353 times)

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
Re: Official "A Dramatic Turn Of Events" Review Thread
« Reply #315 on: September 08, 2011, 07:46:21 AM »
https://www.ology.com/music/album-review-‘-dramatic-turn-events’-dream-theater

Negative review here. Gist is the same as other negative reviews: If you're a Dream Theater fan, you will like it, if you're not a Dream Theater fan, you won't.

Hey, that's what I expected from the new album : that DT fans like it. For me, it's not been the case with the last 3, so I'm happy.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #316 on: September 08, 2011, 08:06:33 AM »
Berklee dropouts*

Offline jayvee3

Re: Official "A Dramatic Turn Of Events" Review Thread is
« Reply #317 on: September 08, 2011, 09:21:15 AM »
I went into JB Hi fi today (sep 8th), and low and behold, it was on the shelf. The Aussie release date was the 9th, but the guy said he had just tagged them up and put them out as they were there. I apparently see im not supposed to discuss this until the US release date, so I wont say anything too much to give anything away bar the fact that I would really find it surprising if dream theater fans didnt like this one - it just has everything. Really looking forward to discussing this one with you lot!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:28:50 AM by jayvee3 »

Offline Chrissalix

« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 10:35:41 AM by Chrissalix »

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #319 on: September 08, 2011, 09:33:58 AM »
modified
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 05:22:07 PM by jayvee3 »

Offline Lycanthrope

« Reply #320 on: September 08, 2011, 10:44:30 AM »
modified, as I see in another thread the mods seem to not want the album discussed until the US release date. Im fine with that, hence the modification, but a ban I would find a little tough, as I have bought a retail copy of the album. Not to mention, I don't really think I gave anything away in comparison to the reviews you can easily find on the net, but I certainly respect the rules hence the modiication. Peace

So if I had cut & pasted my review I would get banned. I put the URL instead and it's OK?

BTW. Initially RR gave us the MP3's and they were OK, we nagged them for WAV's, which they supplied, and the sound is so much more superior, I was shocked...

Offline Nest777

« Reply #321 on: September 08, 2011, 10:47:04 PM »
Hi there, I've just done my review of ADTOE. It's in spanish, but I translated a little extract so you guys can give it a look  ;)
The english review is in the bottom, so check it out! (sorry if it's bad written  :P)

https://theshamansblog.wordpress.com/2011/09/09/a-dramatic-turn-of-events-critica/

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #322 on: September 09, 2011, 08:15:17 AM »
Hi there, I've just done my review of ADTOE. It's in spanish, but I translated a little extract so you guys can give it a look  ;)
The english review is in the bottom, so check it out! (sorry if it's bad written  :P)

https://theshamansblog.wordpress.com/2011/09/09/a-dramatic-turn-of-events-critica/

Guy, it's not a review you have written, it's a dissertation! :P Good job!

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline johncal

« Reply #323 on: September 09, 2011, 08:25:46 AM »
modified, as I see in another thread the mods seem to not want the album discussed until the US release date. Im fine with that, hence the modification, but a ban I would find a little tough, as I have bought a retail copy of the album. Not to mention, I don't really think I gave anything away in comparison to the reviews you can easily find on the net, but I certainly respect the rules hence the modiication. Peace

So if I had cut & pasted my review I would get banned. I put the URL instead and it's OK?

BTW. Initially RR gave us the MP3's and they were OK, we nagged them for WAV's, which they supplied, and the sound is so much more superior, I was shocked...

You know it's funny, JP and JLB themselves give a song by song description of the whole album that THEY posted themselves all over the place weeks ago, but somehow we're going to give up some type of spoilers or ruin it for someone else? I mean WTF!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 09:24:22 AM by johncal »

Offline Lotion

« Reply #324 on: September 10, 2011, 09:57:10 AM »
Im amazed that the album is overlooked at almost every newspaper in Norway, I've actually only found one single review in Norwegian. The biggest newspapers always put a DT review on the frontpage when the album is released, not this time.

anyways here's the review from VG after a google translation.

Exhausting massive from dream theater.

Well Dream Theater-style ticking half of the tracks here on over ten minutes, which means that the band's many prog-loving fans know exactly what they get, even if the drummer Mike Portnoy has waved goodbye.

Nevertheless, in recent years slipped into a softer, almost radio-friendly side amid the breakneck pace and change of pace that characterizes the perfectionist in Dream Theater. The grandiose and epic element in the songs (or rock-suites) are still breathtaking, but a growing lack of sharp edges do now that the longest songs appear more exhausting than strictly necessary.

Best song, "Build Me Up, Break Me Down".
4/6

https://www.vg.no/musikk/artikkel.php?artid=10098405

Build Me Up, Break Me Down as the best song, riiight!

Offline elmatto

« Reply #325 on: September 10, 2011, 11:19:41 AM »
so whats the overall consensus from all the reviews?
plz read my webcomic<br /><br />https://www.drunkduck.com/Bally_Who/index.php

Offline matamor1

« Reply #326 on: September 10, 2011, 12:38:47 PM »

Best review I have read so far mate! Keep it up!

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #327 on: September 12, 2011, 10:09:47 AM »
Allmusic has their review up. I was anticipating this one, but looks like they aren't too keen on the new album. It's tied for the lowest review score ever in a DT release.  :yeahright

https://www.allmusic.com/album/a-dramatic-turn-of-events-r2254071/review

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #328 on: September 12, 2011, 10:12:06 AM »
Well, apparently allmusic is not very wrong then.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #329 on: September 12, 2011, 10:46:49 AM »
I'm so confused.

John Myung's insistent basslines, which are nearly buried in the mix.

Compared to the last few albums, Myung comes through loud and clear.

One does have to wonder about the inclusion of the ballads "Far from Heaven" and the string-laden "Beneath the Surface," which have clunky, trite lyrics, sappy instrumentation, and feel like filler;

Sounds like a "tastes" thing to me as far as triteness goes. But I don't get how he gets "clunky" and "sappy instrumentation".

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #330 on: September 12, 2011, 10:59:33 AM »
"On the Backs of Angels" contains all the DT trademarks: disciplined drumming, intricate seven-string guitar riffs
Wait... isn't OTBOA played in standard tuning on a 6-string? :huh:

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #331 on: September 12, 2011, 11:16:49 AM »
I stand by my statement that people who aren't fans of a certain genre cannot possibly write an objective review.

Example: I detest rap. What kind of review do you think I'd be able to write for a rap album?

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #332 on: September 12, 2011, 11:25:18 AM »
I'm so confused.

John Myung's insistent basslines, which are nearly buried in the mix.

Compared to the last few albums, Myung comes through loud and clear.
At times he's there loud and clear, but especially on certain songs he's still way too low. I hear him better on my studio headphones (of course, I have mixed a lot of stuff with them, so everything will come through nicely), but he's not loud enough for the most part. Mixing bass can be pretty hard though, my mixes always seem to have less bass in them when I hear them after a while than what I though when I was mixing. Since I always know the basslines (being a bassist) I hear them well even if they're mixed too low.
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #333 on: September 12, 2011, 11:27:05 AM »
I stand by my statement that people who aren't fans of a certain genre cannot possibly write an objective review.

Example: I detest rap. What kind of review do you think I'd be able to write for a rap album?

That's great point, and you also don't go out of your way to review Rap albums since you are clearly not the intended audience.

I used to really like the Allmusic reviews since they attempt to review it from a "fan of the genre" perspective, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. Oh well, it's just their opinion and it won't ruin my enjoyment of the album.

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #334 on: September 12, 2011, 11:29:26 AM »
"On the Backs of Angels" contains all the DT trademarks: disciplined drumming, intricate seven-string guitar riffs
Wait... isn't OTBOA played in standard tuning on a 6-string? :huh:

Facts are blockages in the bowels of opinion, dude.  :P

Maybe you could write a review based on qualities other than the kind of music.  I don't like rap, either, but from what I've heard of Jay-Z I find his stuff to be slick and well-produced and have abundant energy.  You could inform readers with the gist of the lyrical content, similarities to his other work, etc, without actually making judgements about the style of music.  At least, that's what I'd do if I weren't qualified.
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #335 on: September 12, 2011, 11:39:50 AM »
Isn't that what reviewers are supposed to do.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #336 on: September 12, 2011, 11:45:51 AM »
Isn't that what reviewers are supposed to do.

You'd think.  I find that many reviewers (of every ilk) attempt to impress their opinions on the reader.
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #337 on: September 12, 2011, 11:49:05 AM »
Nothing to get to worked up about. No matter how much we would like objectivity in reviews, it just isn't possible. Reviews will always be subjective. A rating for something that falls under "art" or "entertainment" doesn't even have an objective criteria for a reviewer to rate against.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #338 on: September 12, 2011, 04:32:42 PM »
Allmusic has their review up. I was anticipating this one, but looks like they aren't too keen on the new album. It's tied for the lowest review score ever in a DT release.  :yeahright

https://www.allmusic.com/album/a-dramatic-turn-of-events-r2254071/review
I HATE Allmusic reviews, man. Most of us take the time to get in AT LEAST a few listens in before writing anything of great length about the album, but I'd be surprised if the reviewer even gave one complete listen to DT's lengthy opus, let alone multiple tries to let the genius sink in.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #339 on: September 12, 2011, 04:34:29 PM »
what a terrible review

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #340 on: September 12, 2011, 04:54:29 PM »
Well, most reviewers (obvious prog fans aside) have no understanding for odd time signatures and tempo changes within a song (and tend to dislike it). Their reviews cannot possibly be taken seriously, when they clearly have no idea what they're talking about. You need some musical understanding to be able to enjoy Dream Theater, and if not, one listen couldn't possibly be enough to make an opinion. And in general - criticizing an album for its length, when the stuff is good? If you can't take more than 40 minutes of music at a time, well, you clearly shouldn't be judging music. Personally I dislike 40 minute records, waiting like 3-4-5 years for that? 70-80 is much better IMO. Oh, and giving this 3 stars and BC&SL 4? That's extremely misleading. Different reviewers, but who looks for the reviewer's name anyway?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 05:00:09 PM by Dellers »
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #341 on: September 12, 2011, 05:04:59 PM »
There's a phrase you can find in any weak Dream Theater review -- something along the lines of "There's enough material here to please Dream Theater fans". This is reviewer code for "I don't understand this music but there are a lot of people that do and I won't try to understand why".

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #342 on: September 14, 2011, 02:10:32 AM »
Finnish Imperiumi.net reviewed ADTOE and gave it 8½ out of 10: https://www.imperiumi.net/index.php?act=albums&id=12309

For those who can't read Finnish, the main points were:
-the reviewer gives the band props for abandoning pseudo-Pantera and 2nd-rate Metallica songs
-he criticizes LaBrie for singing a bit too cautiously on some songs
-he describes the album as "Awake meets Octavarium"
-he thinks DT can be considered a top name of prog metal again

BTW, I got the album today and I'll listen to it later! :metal

Offline gm5k

« Reply #343 on: September 14, 2011, 02:31:20 AM »
Finnish Imperiumi.net reviewed ADTOE and gave it 8½ out of 10: https://www.imperiumi.net/index.php?act=albums&id=12309

-the reviewer gives the band props for abandoning pseudo-Pantera and 2nd-rate Metallica songs

Love all those points, except I would say LBJ did as he pleased on this album.  Really though, that's all conjecture as far as our points of view go...but from what I've read and heard(in the past and present), JLB had free reign on the vocals like he's never had before...and it shows in a great way  :metal

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #344 on: September 14, 2011, 07:24:21 AM »

BTW, I got the album today and I'll listen to it later! :metal

"again"? When were they not considered a top name of prog metal?

Offline Lotion

« Reply #345 on: September 14, 2011, 07:43:28 AM »
I found two more from norwegian newspaper. I'll just google translate them.

from Trønder-Avisa
Take the best of Nightwish, Ayreon, Rush and Metallica and season with some early Genesis. Many are sure to raise eyebrows at the show insulted and wonder what cheap comparisons we throw out. No one as Dream Theater, said blood fans, and yes. We understand what they mean.

Since the start of the Berklee College of Music in Boston, Massachusetts for almost 30 years ago, it has, arguably, ultimate prog rock band poured out their pompous and complex, but at times ultra-catchy tunes. Studio Album No. 11 doesn't disappoint, even though it might not quite match their highlight "Images and Words" from 1992.

The latest of this album is that the genius declared drummer Mike Portney is replaced by Mike Mangini. The expected is a series of epic songs of high class. "The Back Of Angels" and "Outcry" are two of the more brilliant examples of the group's exquisite and powerful melodic.  5/6

This one is from Dagbladet, and is the worst review so far.

Code: [Select]
A Dream Theater without Portnoy For many be equated with an Iron Maiden without Steve Harris. Not because the drumming is impossible to follow up, Mangini is undoubtedly a more than qualified successor purely play wise, but Portnoy was now once again one of those who started the band and had visions.

Probably, he also had a crucial role in the cutting room and been instrumental in providing songs that can quickly rise to as clean technology exercises an invaluable nerve. "A Dramatic Turn of Events" is missing in much of this.

The songs are either over the top sweet and devoid of bite, often marked by tedious instrumental masturbation. Nothing new to Dream Theater-context, but this time missing the little sting that made nerdery interesting and raised the group up to be anything other than a showoff band even though they are impressive to listen to. 3/6

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #346 on: September 14, 2011, 09:44:31 AM »
"again"? When were they not considered a top name of prog metal?
He said that (prior to hearing ADTOE) Octavarium was the only DT album from the 2000's that he liked from start to finish, so it's most likely his opinion.

Offline Millais

« Reply #347 on: September 16, 2011, 03:22:02 PM »
sorry if this has been posted, but I found this, despite the scepticism, to actually be quite an enjoyable read.
https://www.montrealgazette.com/entertainment/beat+same+virtuosity/5392330/story.html

Offline metal134

« Reply #348 on: September 16, 2011, 11:15:35 PM »
I gotta admit, on my first listen, I didn't think it was great  It felt too ballady, which is something that bothered me about the early Dream Theater albums.  But much like those early albums, it has become less of a nuisance with each listen.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #349 on: September 16, 2011, 11:16:50 PM »
I gotta admit, on my first listen, I didn't think it was great  It felt too ballady, which is something that bothered me about the early Dream Theater albums.  But much like those early albums, it has become less of a nuisance with each listen.
:yeahright