Author Topic: Official "A Dramatic Turn Of Events" Review Thread  (Read 90346 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Official "A Dramatic Turn Of Events" Review Thread
« Reply #210 on: August 29, 2011, 07:03:56 AM »
Yes! Agreed. It should be broad strokes, and convey the album, as opposed to a breakdown of its components. It should also be seeking what people are going to love about it, while also identifying the things people might find offputting.

Too many reviews, perhaps tellingly, consist of a reviewer waxing lyrical about why they liked it. The emphasis should really be on why you might like it, and "you" consists, theoretically, of six-billion people. I think his sentence on Beneath the Surface is more of the former, but the rest tends to be more the latter, which I was quite impressed by, as you don't get so much of it in the undermediated internet age.

I see your point, but a reviewer can't know what you will like about an album. So it's up to the reader to see through the reviewer's opinions and take from a review what they feel is relevant. I find that easier to do if I get a bit more detail about how the reviewer thinks.

All I know about Beneath the Surface is that it's apparently "guff". How does that tell me what I will think of it? It doesn't elaborate on that at all. It's just an opinion too broad to convey meaning to the reader. He could have thrown in at least one sentence about each song. The fact he's skipped over some of the most anticipated songs on the album makes it feel too brief.

I guess it's just a frustrating review, because from his summary, it's clear that he's giving a good honest opinion of the album, without a bias for or against Dream Theater like so many other reviews do, and it makes me feel he could have had more to say. It has a good intro, a good summary, but little inbetween.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #211 on: August 29, 2011, 07:28:16 AM »
Yes! Agreed. It should be broad strokes, and convey the album, as opposed to a breakdown of its components. It should also be seeking what people are going to love about it, while also identifying the things people might find offputting.

Too many reviews, perhaps tellingly, consist of a reviewer waxing lyrical about why they liked it. The emphasis should really be on why you might like it, and "you" consists, theoretically, of six-billion people. I think his sentence on Beneath the Surface is more of the former, but the rest tends to be more the latter, which I was quite impressed by, as you don't get so much of it in the undermediated internet age.

I see your point, but a reviewer can't know what you will like about an album. So it's up to the reader to see through the reviewer's opinions and take from a review what they feel is relevant. I find that easier to do if I get a bit more detail about how the reviewer thinks.

All I know about Beneath the Surface is that it's apparently "guff". How does that tell me what I will think of it? It doesn't elaborate on that at all. It's just an opinion too broad to convey meaning to the reader. He could have thrown in at least one sentence about each song. The fact he's skipped over some of the most anticipated songs on the album makes it feel too brief.

I guess it's just a frustrating review, because from his summary, it's clear that he's giving a good honest opinion of the album, without a bias for or against Dream Theater like so many other reviews do, and it makes me feel he could have had more to say. It has a good intro, a good summary, but little inbetween.
Yep! Like I said, Beneath the Surface was more of the former. A very poor moment in a nifty review. And yeah, I totally get what you're saying. A good, mid-sized article would've been a lot more elucidating. I don't think you need to namecheck every song, though, no matter how hotly anticipated - I'm very fond of brevity! Not that you'd necessarily know it from reading my bile.

I do completely understand why you do want to hear his review of Breaking All Illusions, though. I do think it's refreshing to not hear an album boiled down to its MVPs in the way that fandoms often tend to - a fan's lens is a bit like a dirty magnifying glass, inasmuch as some aspects are exaggerated while others are obscured almost completely. There's an imaginary line between "important" and "filler," that tends to be completely arbitrary. A slightly more objective reviewer doesn't need to address BAI as he's not creaming his pants about in the way everyone else is, which I find completely refreshing. I don't think the obligatory paragraph on it needs to be obligatory.

Admittedly, it doesn't hurt that I'm not as interested in Breaking All Illusions as everyone else seems to be, so that might be a less pseudo-intellectual clue as to why I'm not bothered that he omitted it. :p

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #212 on: August 29, 2011, 07:30:07 AM »
That review was lame. Not a single mention of James Labrie? No mention of whether he was impressed with the vocals or not? He couldn't have put less effort into it.

And Blob, I keep reading your reviews of the reviews, how about your review of the album;)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #213 on: August 29, 2011, 07:36:52 AM »
As I said, it's not at all a bad review, and I think it's great to have a review from someone who isn't as attached to the band, and doesn't approach the album with the same expectations that we do.

I think it's that since I know what's on the album, I have my own idea of what things I felt should have been mentioned, not necessarily from expectation, but from what I feel is noteworthy. I don't expect him to mention BAI because the fanbase is anticipating it. I expect him to mention it because I feel it's a lacking detail in the context of his review. But again, that's just my own opinion.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #214 on: August 29, 2011, 07:55:47 AM »
That review was lame. Not a single mention of James Labrie? No mention of whether he was impressed with the vocals or not? He couldn't have put less effort into it.

To a non-DT fan, this really isn't that important. Only we would care about singling out James LaBrie and breaking down his performance, and his review is not for us.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #215 on: August 29, 2011, 08:11:45 AM »
I think its a decent review, it is obviously targeted to a more general audience, so it is not so detailed. But i think the reviewer was honest, and probably he is not into DT that much...

Offline DreamTension

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Live in the moment, breathe in a nude beginning
« Reply #216 on: August 29, 2011, 08:42:36 AM »

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #217 on: August 29, 2011, 08:57:51 AM »
The reason I think this review is good even though a lot of people seem to hate it is because it does the most important thing: It makes it clear to you where the reviewer is coming from. It's obvious that he is not a Dream Theater fan, so I know immediately that the review does not apply to me. If he gave the album a 0/10, I would know not to worry about it.

Not sure why I am so butt-hurt over this.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #218 on: August 29, 2011, 09:16:30 AM »
Not sure why I am so butt-hurt over this.

I expect better from you.  Only stupid asses use the term butt-hurt.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #219 on: August 29, 2011, 09:23:27 AM »
As for that review, the problem with it is simple - It's obviously not written by or for the hardcore DT fan, yet does nothing to explain why non-hardcore fans would be interested.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #220 on: August 29, 2011, 09:53:18 AM »
In his review, he says:

If you’re not, you’re unlikely to have your head turned by the fayre on offer on this latest release.

He's basically saying that there is nothing that would interest a non-hardcore DT fan.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #221 on: August 29, 2011, 09:54:49 AM »

To a non-DT fan, this really isn't that important. Only we would care about singling out James LaBrie and breaking down his performance, and his review is not for us.

Yeah, I get that, but don't most reviews of music that contains singing mention the singing? Let's face it, vocals are still the most prominent feature of music, even prog.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #222 on: August 29, 2011, 09:54:56 AM »
In his review, he says:

If you’re not, you’re unlikely to have your head turned by the fayre on offer on this latest release.

He's basically saying that there is nothing that would interest a non-hardcore DT fan.

You know, I think I've read this sentence in a review at least once for every DT album since Awake. This oughts to mean something...
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #223 on: August 29, 2011, 09:59:13 AM »
In his review, he says:

You know, I think I've read this sentence in a review at least once for every DT album since Awake. This oughts to mean something...

True dat. To a degree it is true, if you are not into DT's style of music, i guess any DT album wouldn't change that. Although the have changes to their sound through the years, the core sound is still the same.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #224 on: August 29, 2011, 10:57:00 AM »
IMO it's just baseless bias against DT, implying they have never experimented which is blatantly untrue. You never see reviews of AC/DC begin like that, even when they've made the same album 15 times. You don't see "well, if you're not a hardcore AC/DC fan there's nothing on here that will change your mind". LOL?

It'd be like me reviewing a rap or metalcore album which I hate with equal passion; how could I possibly write a good review?

I'm not saying I expect every review to be positive, far from it; but it's obvious this guy has an agenda. I mean seriously, how many times do we have to hear "soulless" or "emotionless" in a review of DT, when the fact is that James sings with a ton of emotion in 98% of the songs.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: August 29, 2011, 01:07:39 PM »
In his review, he says:

"If this is the sort of thing you like, then you'll really like this sort of thing!"

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #226 on: August 29, 2011, 01:13:05 PM »
IMO it's just baseless bias against DT, implying they have never experimented which is blatantly untrue. You never see reviews of AC/DC begin like that, even when they've made the same album 15 times. You don't see "well, if you're not a hardcore AC/DC fan there's nothing on here that will change your mind". LOL?

It'd be like me reviewing a rap or metalcore album which I hate with equal passion; how could I possibly write a good review?

I'm not saying I expect every review to be positive, far from it; but it's obvious this guy has an agenda. I mean seriously, how many times do we have to hear "soulless" or "emotionless" in a review of DT, when the fact is that James sings with a ton of emotion in 98% of the songs.
I liked this review. He's perhaps the only reviewer so far who doesn't come off as a fanboy.

Offline farsight

« Reply #227 on: August 29, 2011, 01:50:11 PM »

I know a lot of people, mostly metalheads, who were interested and checked out Dream Theater and were pretty impressed but put off by James' vocals, particularly in the ToT era. Slightly mentioning something about the vocals would have surely helped newcomers that previously passed on Dream Theater decide on whether the new album will or will not appeal to them.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #228 on: August 29, 2011, 01:56:13 PM »

I liked this review. He's perhaps the only reviewer so far who doesn't come off as a fanboy.

So if a review comes to be extremely positive your first thought is that it is biased?
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #229 on: August 29, 2011, 04:11:17 PM »

So if a review comes to be extremely positive your first thought is that it is biased?
No, but some of the reviews act if it's the best thing since sliced bread. I'm definitely skeptical about that.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #230 on: August 29, 2011, 07:31:49 PM »
^ Sliced bread being amazing is subjective.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #231 on: August 29, 2011, 07:38:04 PM »

The greatest thing since sliced bread.  So this is it?  A couple of hundred thousand years...sliced bread?  What about the pyramids?  The Panama Canal?  The Great Wall of China?  Even a lava lamp, to me, is better than sliced bread.  What's so great about sliced bread.  You've got a knife, you've got a loaf of bread.  Slice the fuckin' thing!

And get on with your life.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline TL

« Reply #232 on: August 29, 2011, 09:22:22 PM »
I'm all for getting reviews from people who aren't necessarily DT fans, but as soon as they throw in 'indulgent' or 'soulless', they lose credibility. "They have sections of music that don't have vocals for more than ten seconds! Obviously it's pretentious and lacking emotion".

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #233 on: August 30, 2011, 01:02:31 AM »
Well I just heard something that made me cryout in a fit of joy :)

Offline Metrovarium

• Lord Tarp
  • SPAAAAAACE
« Reply #234 on: August 30, 2011, 01:05:52 AM »
You mean an...

*puts on shades*

Outcry?

Offline robwebster

« Reply #235 on: August 30, 2011, 01:08:20 AM »

The greatest thing since sliced bread.  So this is it?  A couple of hundred thousand years...sliced bread?  What about the pyramids?  The Panama Canal?  The Great Wall of China?  Even a lava lamp, to me, is better than sliced bread.  What's so great about sliced bread.  You've got a knife, you've got a loaf of bread.  Slice the fuckin' thing!

The first three are before sliced bread.

Just saying.

Offline ConstantMotion

• The Scientist
  • Shine, lake of fire
« Reply #236 on: August 30, 2011, 02:29:20 AM »
I thought it was a good review. Unbiased, honest, hopeful.

I have a lot of hope for this record after reading that review. After all, he didn't like the other DT albums much, either...it's not like it was written by one of us!
Live dates

July 15th, 2010 - Blossom Music Center, Cleveland OH, USA
June 25, 2012 - Taft Theater, Cincinnati OH, USA

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #237 on: August 30, 2011, 05:25:23 AM »

Sliced bread isn't hundreds of thousands of years old :p

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #238 on: August 30, 2011, 05:51:01 AM »
I was quoting a George Carlin bit....
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #239 on: August 30, 2011, 06:00:12 AM »
Oh sorry, didn't know that :)

Offline robwebster

« Reply #240 on: August 30, 2011, 06:53:27 AM »
I was quoting a George Carlin bit....
George Carlin is wrong.

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #241 on: August 30, 2011, 09:01:17 AM »
You mean an...

*puts on shades*

Outcry?

Hey you said it, not me :)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #242 on: August 30, 2011, 04:50:00 PM »
You mean an...

*puts on shades*

Outcry?

Hey you said it, not me :)

Obviously, neither one of you saw this sticky.  This is your only warning.

2b. With regard to "leaked" material ... [from] Dream Theater and side-projects by the members of Dream Theater, you may not discuss the leaked material whatsoever.
Any discussion of a leak, including discussion of the songs themselves, will be met with an immediate ban until at least release date, if not longer.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Tumdace

« Reply #243 on: August 31, 2011, 06:45:20 PM »
How can someone call anything DT makes "soulless"? Ive certainly hear ALOT more music that had ALOT less soul than most of what DT has. Obviously being a DT fan puts a little bias into that statement, and I haven't heard the album yet, but from the snippets ive heard, and the interviews ive seen, there has been ALOT of soul put into this album.

Offline FluffyMcFluffington

• Kitty Detective
« Reply #244 on: August 31, 2011, 07:40:25 PM »
How can someone call anything DT makes "soulless"? Ive certainly hear ALOT more music that had ALOT less soul than most of what DT has. Obviously being a DT fan puts a little bias into that statement, and I haven't heard the album yet, but from the snippets ive heard, and the interviews ive seen, there has been ALOT of soul put into this album.

I guess there's a "soul spectrum".  On one extreme side you have everything that is on the radio nowadays.  On the other, you have bands like Dream Theater that play songs that are so mind-blowing, it must have no soul and belong to the devil's discography collection.