Author Topic: [Music] Queensryche - Dedicated to Chaos  (Read 5040 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
[Music] Queensryche - Dedicated to Chaos
« on: July 31, 2011, 01:19:02 PM »
Band: Queensryche
Album: Dedicated to Chaos
Year: 2011
Genre: Post-genre music
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Dedicated-To-Chaos-Special-Edition/dp/B0050WM6PA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312135436&sr=8-1

For many years I have found myself standing on a strange middle ground amongst Queensr˙che fans. Some seem to enjoy whatever the band does and stay highly dedicated, while others have forsaken anything post-DeGarmo, often for musical differences as well as for other reasons. I however have remained quite apart from the drama and have found something I’ve enjoyed in every post-DeGarmo album. I thought Q2K had some very interesting ideas and a few very good songs. I felt that Tribe was actually a very solid rock record from the band. While I had issues with the last third or so of Mindcrime II, and while I thought the guitar tones on the album were rather bad, I felt through the first two thirds of the album there were a lot of really strong tracks. And finally, while others tore into American Soldier for variety of reasons I once again found a record that was not amazing, but one I certainly enjoyed from the band.

This all brings us to the present day and the band’s newest effort, Dedicated to Chaos. I will not fault the band for the dramatic change in sound for this record, as far as I’ve concerned they’ve been really changing sounds between albums ever since the departure from classic Ryche that was Empire, and then again with Promised Land. However I will fault the band for entering into a musical realm in which they obviously have no clue with what they’re doing. I was not expecting this album to sound like anything in particular, but I was expecting it to at least be as enjoyable as the previous few albums. Unfortunately Queensr˙che have completely failed me this time around. I honestly support Queensr˙che in their quest to make music that they want to make. Some fans have more or less called for Queensr˙che to sell out and just make records that the long time fans want to hear, but I’m happy they haven’t tried this because frankly if they tried to do another Warning or Rage for Order I feel the outcome would be an album that’s a hollow shell of the album it’s supposed to mimic. As for what has happened though, it’s an album full of poorly executed ideas. The band entered new territory and apparently had no clue what to do on this new ground, but they forced an album out anyway.

The extended edition of the album sports 16 tracks, and of those tracks I can say I really enjoy 2 of them, and there is exactly one song which features sections I would truly call amazing. The rest fall between alright, meh, and what the fuck were they thinking. Several tracks are musically similar to what Geoff Tate had released years back on his solo album, the problem is that I’d say those songs on Dedicated to Chaos are of a quality far below that of Tate’s solo album. Perhaps the best example of this can be seen in the track “Wot We Do”. Like much of the album I simply struggle to properly describe it as anything other than bad. And although it’s not something I might normally take note of myself, I can’t help but echo the sentiments of Queensr˙che fans who have complained that the band responsible for the lyrics of songs like “Take Hold of the Flame” or “I Will Remember” have now so dramatically changed their lyrical approach, and not for the better.

After a concept album and a thematic record I was somewhat excited that Queensr˙che was simply going to write an album of songs again, perhaps one as strong as Tribe, but instead what I got was a smorgasbord of poorly written or executed songs that fail to do any justice to quality musicians such as Michael Wilton or Scott Rockenfield. With this being written a few weeks post release I have been able to see Queensr˙che’s sales number plummet, and I hope the band takes note of it. I’m not asking them to make an album for the fans, to return to a progressive metal blueprint, or to give up. I am however hoping that they learn what their strengths as a band are and turn this ship around. They’ve shown a lot of looks over the years, and some have worked better than others. Surely they can find some of those strengths, enjoy them, and even improve on them. Because if the alternative is continued experimenting into areas in which people clearly do not belong, then my hopes for future Queensr˙che material is bleak at best.

Nick's Rating: 4/10
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
Re: [Music] Queensryche - Dedicated to Chaos
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 09:20:06 PM »
Your number sounds more generous than your words.  I was expecting a 2 or 3 out of 10.

I've had this CD in my car for two weeks now and I can't really motivate myself to sit down and listen to it for real.  There was one song somewhere on there I kinda dug on the first listen.  I don't remember what it was.  But a lot of it was just sheer whatthefuckery.  Your call to learn their strengths and turn the ship around is an excellent idea that I'm worried they don't have themselves.

I think I'd probably give it a 3/10.  Easily the worst new release that I've heard so far this year.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 09:29:14 PM »
Well you have to understand I generally am very generous with my numbering simply because I truly do enjoy most of what I hear to some extent. This is the lowest grade I've ever given anything I've reviewed, and only the second time an album has ever failed, so take that for what it is.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 09:47:04 PM »
Nick, which two songs are you referring to (the ones you like)?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 08:31:23 PM »
That review is pretty on par with the one I posted in the Ryche thread.  I agree on most points.  I rated it 42/100.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 05:59:47 PM »
I would give it a 1/10, only for the song "At the Edge".  Pure garbage overall and probably the most disapointing release I've ever heard in all my years of listening to music.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 06:10:02 PM »
I would give it a 1/10, only for the song "At the Edge".  Pure garbage overall and probably the most disapointing release I've ever heard in all my years of listening to music.

Please, tell us how you really feel. :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 07:47:37 PM »
lol.....ok........I don't like it

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 04:09:05 PM »
Wow, I didn't even know a new album was out.  I must be one of those that has forsaken anything post DeGarmo.  His departure was tragic in my opinion.  It marked the beginning of the end of a band that was truly great.  I can't comment on the new album but OP:MCII and AS didn't do a thing for me.  I might pick up the new album just because I used to love them so much.   :-\
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 10:17:19 PM »
I might pick up the new album just because I used to love them so much.   :-\

If O:MII and AS did nothing for you, stay away from this pile of dreck. It is a waste of your money.

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 09:13:49 AM »
You've got those sunglasses on. You've got those sunglasses. YOU'VE GOT THOSE SUNGLASSES!  :coolio

Where was I?

Offline Beat-Nick

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 10:53:00 AM »
I Like 3 Songs On this album. ..The first track Get started , the 3rd track Got It Bad & Lie.
Got it bad is sort of Quirky..And bounces along..it's no classic..but I Kinda like it.

Lyrically this album is Pants...It's hard to believe these guys gave us Mindcrime..&  Empire..Its all been downhill since and although I really liked parts of American Soldier they really are a band I find myself forcing to give a listen just in case I miss some new brilliance close to the aforementioned classics.
Lyrics from Hot Spot Junkie
This Wifi frenzy world revolutionary cyber world. Ready get some air time, air wave time. You got it under your skin?

The world wide web has the local news on YouTube. The connectivity is crossing the threshold, crossing the threshold.

Encrypted codes and filters but there’s no time to rest. A revolutionary modern world in distress. Just like a fire glowing, don’t know how much will burn. A WiFi knuckle hot spot junkie.

Dedicated to chaos..should be renamed Dedicated to No-One...as I fail to see any market this is gonna appeal to.

Here is some Blurb from official Sources on the Queensryche site
Queensr˙che stand proudly and defiantly against that career model. Thirty years after their formation, the progressive rock institution ignites anew with Dedicated to Chaos, a brave, adventurous, diverse and often experimental album that will challenge their fiercely intelligent audience and rock n’ roll critics alike in profound and exceedingly rewarding ways. There is nothing safe, saccharine or sanitized about Queensr˙che’s twelfth studio album. No rules. No boundaries. It’s the latest in a string of impressive feats from the legendary Seattle band.

Experimental & Diverse it may be....But in a good way???..certainly not
To say it will challenge the audience is true..But again in a negative way..It challenges the listener to really think .."Have queensryche got anything left to offer"
After this Effort I believe NOT.  :tdwn

FINAL BIT OF BLURB from the Queensryche site
 Dedicated to Chaos is a true “headphones record.”
Well thats cus you wouldnt want to let anyone else know what a terrible pile of  shit your listening to!! :)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 11:00:09 AM by Beat-Nick »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 02:44:41 PM »
When I saw your username pop up on my review I immediately thought a mod must have created a fake account to fuck with me. :lol

Welcome!

Offline Beat-Nick

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 04:50:11 AM »
nah...I am no Mod..Enjoying the site..just checked out Transatlantic "The Whirlwind" after trawling through this Forum..I'm Loving that..just ordered the CD & DVD ......I had heard the Original First album of Transatlantic & wasnt overkeen,,but Im a few years older now & your tastes do vary over the years so perhaps I'll revisit some of their other stuff :)

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 07:31:37 PM »
Your rating about this album is really high. Though I kinda agree your opinions.

For me, this album means the end of their musical career. They need to step aside and rest. I'm huge Queensryche fan, really huge but this is reality.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.