Author Topic: My untitled book.  (Read 1861 times)

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
My untitled book.
« on: July 31, 2011, 03:41:15 AM »
I've decided to do something I've always wanted to do. I'm writing a book, whether it's going to be published or not. I'm going to write a book and I'm going to share it with you as I write it.

More posts to come.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
Re: My untitled book.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 03:42:12 AM »
Prologue

Chairs are symbols of circumstance. An employee might, much to his disgust, be confined to a chair for eight hours doing paperwork or some other repetitive task. Conversely, a king utilizes his throne to signify his limitless power and authority. Somewhere in the middle, there are the more mundane uses, such as to eat dinner, to watch television, or to simply avoid standing. Not for James. James had no choice in the matter of his chair. He had been sentenced to death.

James sat in his chair, drenched in sweat and shaking uncontrollably. The only thoughts racing through his mind were both irrational and fragmented. Until now, he had never completely understood the concept of “your life flashing before your eyes.” He longed to relive every happy memory he had ever experienced. He wanted to see his family, to see his friends, or even to see one of his enemies. Seeing anyone would have been more comforting than what he had now. But he could see nothing but darkness and he could hear nothing but his own thoughts.

Why? Why, God,? Haven't I done enough? Haven't I suffered enough? Are you even there? God? God, don't let me die. Please. I'm too afraid. I'm too afraid of what comes next.

In a last-minute attempt of desperation, overwhelmed by fear, he tried lifting his arms with enough force to break the belts that bound him to his chair, but his efforts were futile. Even if he was able to break free, he would still have to contend with the warden, the guards, and the audience of his execution. James began to tremble so violently he could hear quiet gasps from the audience. He imagined some thought he was having a seizure. Others probably recognized it as a desperate attempt to escape, or a single outpouring of all the emotions one could simultaneously experience.

And then, in a brief series of moments, his desperate flailing quickly descended into stillness. Tears welled up in his eyes. He didn't care. There was no reason to, not now. There was no reason to care about anything and there was no point in dwelling on life or its memories, as they were all about to fade from existence.

What was will be no more. What will be...

In that instant realization, James embraced death. It was now the only thing that mattered. It was his last true adventure.

Though no one could see it through his black hood, he gave a brief smile as the warden signaled the executioner to flip the switch.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 04:21:15 AM »
:metal

Nice so far!

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 04:33:18 AM »
Thanks. Part of the reason I wanted to post solely the prologue at first is because I wanted it to be a "test" of sorts. I wanted to see if my writing is captivating enough to hold people's attention while divulging literally nothing about the character, his past, or future.

Another reason is because there's really about three possibilities for the story of James (and the circumstances that lead him to or from this chair) in my head. I'm not yet sure which I would like to entertain the most.

It may be a week or more (who knows) until I get the next chapter up. Writing is fun because there are endless possibilities, but sometimes it can be a struggle to confine that infinite expanse into one story line.

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I got my special savin' the world boots on
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 05:28:54 AM »
I wanted to see if my writing is captivating enough to hold people's attention while divulging literally nothing about the character, his past, or future.
Mission success :tup

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 06:17:06 AM »
Yeah, I thought it was really good tbh :)

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 11:13:30 AM »
Whoa, I love it!

Offline theliloutkast

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 11:18:36 AM »
 :hefdaddy that was brilliant

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 11:47:57 AM »
Pretty good. Definitely gets your attention after only the first few sentences.

Offline True Death of Life

• The hair, the legend
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 03:38:53 PM »
1st sentence is awesome. Actually, only yesterday my family, Cole and I were talking about awesome first sentences...all the books that my mom gave 5 stars in her bokclub had amazing, grabbing first sentences.

Keep it up! I'm excitied to see it grow.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 03:43:39 PM »
1st sentence is awesome. Actually, only yesterday my family, Cole and I were talking about awesome first sentences...all the books that my mom gave 5 stars in her bokclub had amazing, grabbing first sentences.

I like that point, very nice observation!

I don't know where you're going to go with this book's theme/plot, but I like the idea of their being different chairs and our experiences in them that may define us or break us (or something significant to life).

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 05:08:46 AM »
Very good, I'd sure like to read more  :)

Offline Ħ

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 09:59:47 AM »
Thanks for sharing! :tup
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 10:12:16 AM »
Not my style, but it sounds quite interesting. Good work!