Poll

SFAM = Old DT, or New DT?

Old
98 (56%)
New
77 (44%)

Total Members Voted: 172

Author Topic: Scenes From a Memory: Do you consider it "Old" or "New" DT?  (Read 8549 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Scenes From a Memory: Do you consider it "Old" or "New" DT?
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2011, 12:23:23 PM »

I personally don't really see why some people are putting 8VM with SC and BCSL.... Other than Sacrificed Sons the albums don't have much in common structure wise (maybe TROAE some)

8V, SC, and BC&SL are noticeably darker in tone. SFAM, SDoIT, and TOT have the LTE aura, energy, and craziness going for them.

I'd say TOT is as dark as SC/BCASL, but I don't think 8V sounds anything like SC and BCASL, even the heavier songs. I don't see that particular connection at all.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2011, 12:23:53 PM »
I would go with "Middle".
It always felt the Jordan joining the band opened a new chapter, but also that Score felt like it closed a chapter. For me, SFAM to Score is the middle chapter.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline darkshade

« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2011, 12:47:02 PM »

I personally don't really see why some people are putting 8VM with SC and BCSL.... Other than Sacrificed Sons the albums don't have much in common structure wise (maybe TROAE some)

8V, SC, and BC&SL are noticeably darker in tone. SFAM, SDoIT, and TOT have the LTE aura, energy, and craziness going for them.

I'd say TOT is as dark as SC/BCASL, but I don't think 8V sounds anything like SC and BCASL, even the heavier songs. I don't see that particular connection at all.

I disagree, TOT is heavy for sure, but not really dark. It's still running on that LTE vibe as the previous 2 albums were.

TDEN, Repentence, ANTR, ITPOE 2, TSF, etc are dark. 8V is darker in overall tone than the previous 3 albums, but obviously there aren't much similarities to SC and BC&SL in terms of heaviness.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2011, 01:30:17 PM »
I don't know.. I get the feeling Octavarium is a rather "light" album vonsidering songs like I Walk Beside You and The Answer Lies Within.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2011, 01:33:35 PM »
I don't know.. I get the feeling Octavarium is a rather "light" album vonsidering songs like I Walk Beside You and The Answer Lies Within.

well sure, with those 2 songs, yea. But I was talking about the overall mood.

And yes, it's already been discussed. 8V is a 'lighter' album than anything before or after it. But lighter does not mean 'not dark', I assume you mean 'less-heavy'.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2011, 01:33:44 PM »
For me, 6DOIT is start of new era. JR started it. Most of Scenes are written during FII recording.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2011, 04:13:03 PM »
WDaDU - Old Dream Theater
I&W-Awake - "True", brilliant Dream Theater
FII-SDOIT - Good, modernised Dream Theater
TOT-BC&SL - "Metallised" un-Dream Theater (save a couple of tracks)

I'm bound to offend people with this.. But that's how I perceive it.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline robwebster

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2011, 04:23:48 PM »
Not to mention an entire album.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2011, 04:25:05 PM »

Octavarium?
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline robwebster

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2011, 04:27:24 PM »

Octavarium?
Yarse - Panic Attack's the heaviest song, and it's not much heavier than, say, The Mirror.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2011, 04:30:24 PM »

I see "true" in this post and it pretty much just makes me want to ignore the whole thing. That's pretty much saying I liked this stuff the best, so I'm going to coral it as the correct way for this band to make music and when they fail to do so it will be not even them. (un-Dream Theater).
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2011, 04:41:37 PM »

Octavarium?
Yarse - Panic Attack's the heaviest song, and it's not much heavier than, say, The Mirror.

Not heavier at all, at least in my opinion.

Back into the topic, I hold Scenes as the last (and greatest) expression of the old Dream Theater, and this is nowhere due to some parts of the album being written back in 1996.  It's just that everything on Sfam feels like the natural conclusion to the path DT begun with Images And Words and the two full-lenght and one EP that followed.

In the end, if I had to divide The history of the band into "ages", it would be something like that:

Early Drean Theater

Majesty days
When Dream And Day Unite

Old Dream Theater

Images And Words
Awake
A Change Of Seasons

Middle Dream Theater

Falling Into Infinity
Scenes From A Memory

Modern Dream Theater

Six Degrees
Train Of Though
Octavarium

Recent Dream Theater

Systematic Chaos
Black Clouds

Conteporary Dream Theater

The Spirit Carries On (Interlude)
A Dramatic Turn Of Events

:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2011, 04:42:25 PM »
Don't get me wrong on this. I have always imagined Dream Theater as sounding like I&W and Awake. While I also love their last 4 albums, I love them less than their previous outputs. I've been a DT fan fir years, and basically love mostly all their work, but for me their latter stuff just doesn't do it as much as the first albums.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2011, 04:51:53 PM »

I see "true" in this post and it pretty much just makes me want to ignore the whole thing. That's pretty much saying I liked this stuff the best, so I'm going to coral it as the correct way for this band to make music and when they fail to do so it will be not even them. (un-Dream Theater).

You're not a tr00 Dream Theatre fan.

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2011, 05:01:04 PM »
I feel it goes something like this.
Classic Dream Theater
WDADU
Images and Words
Awake
FII
SFAM

These albums, while sounding different, contain
Most of DT's most classic/legendary material

Transitional
SDOIT
TOT

These two albums are interesting in the sense that they don't really sound like the others. They are indicators of what's to come. You still have the prog, and now you add more modern metal vs old school metal.

Modern
8VM
SC
BCSL

These albums are pretty similar in many ways, you get a good deal of prog, but more and more the metal is becoming a bigger influence. Structurally, while the albums have their own sound and feel, songs seem more like DT by numbers. Instead of treading new ground, they seem to be sticking to the formula and working around that. Consistent for the most part, but not ground breaking stuff.

Offline DJay32

« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2011, 05:36:26 PM »
There is no "old" or "new" Dream Theater. Well, A Dramatic Turn of Events is "new" Dream Theater.

To me, a good number of their Portnoy-era albums are in "light/dark" pairs, and that's about it. (I say "Portnoy-era" because this is what I know to definitely be true. To me. We don't know if they'll still do this with Mangini. Plus, it's like saying "Gabriel-era" and "Collins-era." :3)

When Day and Dream Unite is paired with Black Clouds & Silver Linings in that they aren't actually part of a pair, but they're bookends of the Portnoy-era.

Images & Words is a light album with heavy progression, and it's followed by Awake, which seems to follow similar progression but with much darker themes. These are the "mainstream pair" to me, because everyone loves these.

Falling into Infinity was a really good album, though not terribly progressive. It was intended to be progressive, though! Likewise, Metropolis, pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory, in my opinion, was a really progressive album but not that good, yet it was intended to be good. They balance each other out! And neither one of them sounds much like their surrounding albums. These are the "transitional pair."

Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence was a light album with, as one poster so elegantly put it, a nice Liquid Tension Experiment-esque groove. It also marked the start of what I call the "Octavarium cycle" (wherein the amount of songs goes 6, 7, 8, 7, 6). It was followed by the darker Train of Thought, which also contained the LTE-esque groove and.. well, I thought it was rather inseparable from Six Degrees. I call these "my favourite pair." Or "Six Degrees of Thought."

Octavarium was sorta like the past two albums, but it was clearly much more simple, with much more focus on concepts rather than extremely complex songwriting. It was also pretty light and serious, compared to Systematic Chaos, which was darker and less serious. Now, some of my favourite songs are on this pair, and after stating I'm not the biggest fan of "the mainstream pair" and Metropolis, pt. 2, I imagine a lot of people here are questioning how big of a Dream Theater fan I am. Well, I just love finding classics in modern music. >.> ...ANYWAY. I dub this pair "the black bar pair," for their album art both feature black bars.

Finally, we're left with the almost fridge-brilliant Black Clouds & Silver Linings, which "octavariums" its way back in time to pair up with the other odd one out When Day and Dream Unite. Black Clouds is also fridge-brilliant because it deals with the theme of "Every cloud has a silver lining," which is uncannily similar to my "light/dark" pairing of albums.

ERGO, I conclude that Metropolis, pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory is neither "old" nor "new." In fact, I conclude that none of Dream Theater's discography is "old" yet. Maybe in another decade will any of their music be considered "old." For now, their work is just music. If you want me to categorize Metropolis, pt. 2 as anything, I'd call it a transition, much like its predecessor Falling into Infinity was. For they were the "transitional pair."

I'll shut up now. :D

Offline Loser1

« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2011, 06:27:47 PM »
Inspired by the old vs new thread.

I notice many people consider SFAM as part of the "Old DT" era of their music. Personally I consider that the first album of their New era. Musically, it just doesn't sound like anything previous to it, while the style sounds exactly like DT has sounded the past 10 years. So yeah, for me, SFAM will always be the begining of New DT.

SFAM is what got me into DT. I saw them with Satriani and immediately bought the Live Scenes from NY DVD. I was hooked from that point to present day. I consider it new, and in a way old too.

BTW - I went to the show to see Satriani. DT played first, and I was in awe. Instant fan.

Offline fllnsprrw

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2011, 07:06:32 PM »
To me "Old" DT = WDADU. Everything else in between is just simply DT.
1. Images & Words/ 2. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence/ 3. Scenes From a Memory

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2011, 08:53:07 PM »
Way more in common with Six Degrees than with Falling Into Infinity, which is quite a feat given that half of it was written during the FII sessions.

So yeah, next era, far-and-away. Although, given the size their catalogue's reaching, the eras are starting to split a little deeper than old-and-new. They've got more than two phases, I'd say. Something like...

1. Dream and Day
2. Images and Words
3. Awake
4. Falling Into Infinity

5. Scenes from a Memory
6. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
7. Train of Thought

8. Octavarium
9. Systematic Chaos
10. Black Clouds & Silver Linings

11. A Dramatic Turn of Events

...yeah, think they're the logical splits. I'm not entirely sure what they're split into, but they all feel like bedfellows. I guess... the common themes are er, something like invention, experimentation, groove, and future? Although that does sound like a shit remake of the Crystal Maze.

Good post, but to me it needs a little reworking:

1. Dream and Day
2. Images and Words
3. Awake
4. Falling Into Infinity

5. Scenes from a Memory
7. Train of Thought
8. Octavarium

9. Systematic Chaos

Then again, we may have totally different reasons for our arbitrariness. On top of that, I am drunk so I can only know that you may be half proud of me or wonder why the hell you read my posts. I swear I wish i was British sometimes

Offline robwebster

« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2011, 09:32:59 PM »
Good post, but to me it needs a little reworking:

1. Dream and Day
2. Images and Words
3. Awake
4. Falling Into Infinity

5. Scenes from a Memory
7. Train of Thought
8. Octavarium

9. Systematic Chaos

Then again, we may have totally different reasons for our arbitrariness. On top of that, I am drunk so I can only know that you may be half proud of me or wonder why the hell you read my posts. I swear I wish i was British sometimes
I'm proud of you and wonder why the hell I read your posts! Also, I kinda wish I knew where the high five smiley was 'cause I feel like we're kindred spirits in our electronic drunkenness. :hat (Someone else can come up with a "spirit" pun there, I'm lazy.)

I do kind of get the Octavarium / Systematic split. Octavarium's very much an ending. It cuts off the meta-album thingybob, closes with an epic (which was, at the time, rare), and then follows it up with Score, which absolutely represents the closing of a chapter of their career. Then there's the record label thing, blah-di-blah-di-blah, Octavarium is totally an ending and I can't fault anyone for saying so.

On the other hand, though, the following two albums are variations on the themes that Octavarium invents. SC owes so much to Octavarium both sonically and structurally, and Black Clouds hones that formula without adding anything that's especially new. Octavarium is where they establish a sound, and for the next two albums they "run with it." The albums have a lot in common - moreso than any other sprint, I'd argue. So, while Octavarium does represents an ending historically, I think it's a beginning musically.

SFAM/SDOIT/TOT are linked by being adventurous - it's a fairly experimental, ostentatious phase, where they were testing their limits. WDADU/IAW/Awake/FII are a little more subdued, but it's basically the bit where they invented progressive metal. WDADU is the birth, IAW/Awake is the core, and FII is a sort of... not a death, but a deconstruction. Songs are pretty fluid, with songs written in the 1980s not getting recorded until after Kevin left, etc.

So yeah, I think Octavarium's the floating voter, but I'm pretty happy lumping it in with SC and BCSL. I can't see BCSL being anything other than an ending, either. We've not even heard the album, yet, but you've got the death and the rebirth, you've got a major shakeup to the core writing team, it looks like we've got a very strange structure given the track times, and On the Backs of Angels is a break from the conventions of the last three albums. So I'm going to take a shot in the dark and call it the start of a fourth era, in a very approximate "yeah, that sounds about right!" kind of way. ...Which is all eras ever are!

...what did I come in for again?

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2011, 09:43:40 PM »
True, I was thinking of leaving ADTOE as its own era, the start of a 4th...leaving the 3rd era very light, though highly prolific. but hey! Sometimes there are eras that are considerably shorter than others. Nothing wrong with that methinks.

Definitely agree with the whole ending a chapter as far as 8VM is concerned. I also feel different in that SC, while potentially owing a lot to 8VM format-wise, owes nothing else to it. SC was such a different beast compared to 8VM (then again, you may not agree, as others don't...but 8VM is a lot more proggy IMO, even with its metal elements..it just felt more organic than SC...end parentheses and ellipsis). BC&SL was logical to group with SC, though it did change the formula up a bit...can't argue those two being together in the least.

Still, I can see why you would put 8VM there. And your other points are tastefully detailed and exact in their foodlike qualities. Like the burger I just had to eat 10 minutes ago.

Rob, there is a smiley of two happy faces bringing two glasses of beer together in their shared happiness of drunkenness and though I've tried 4 different words to find it, I'll just say that I'm glad to be here with you for a bit. Let's stay and enjoy some life together!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2011, 12:49:13 AM »
I also can see having Octavarium in the 2nd era, with SC and BC&SL as its own, especially with the meta-album thing. The second and 3rd era overlap with the 12 Step Suite as well.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2011, 02:49:28 AM »

His name is "Elite", so it's not surprising. :P

To me "Old" DT = WDADU. Everything else in between is just simply DT.
Yeah, pretty much this really.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Metropolis Pt. II

• DT.net Member
  • Let's roll!
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2011, 03:04:03 AM »
I feel like it's older DT for four reasons:

#1) It came out 11 years ago. (It will be 12 this October.)

#2) It has references to Metropolis Pt. 1 from I&W.

#3) Metropolis Pt. II was written as a song for FII, and most of SFAM came from that song alone.

#4) To me, it has that good ol' DT magic like I&W and Awake. (Clearly I&W and Awake have a different type of magic, but it's still magic nonetheless.)

EDIT: I also love "new" DT, by the way.

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2011, 03:26:05 AM »
Yet another approach!

Early Dream Theater
When Dream and Day Unite - Awake
This is the first period in Dream Theater's music which in which the music leans more toward prog than metal, the compositions are tighter and more concise, and (purely coincidentally!) there is a presence of a certain Kevin Moore.

Purgatorial Dream Theater
A Change of Seasons - Falling Into Infinity
This period is my least favorite.  The music is still great, but not quite as timeless.  In the history of the band, these were very uncertain times, and I think it shows a little in the music.  It's just not as good, and I'm not trying to blame Derek for any of that. 

Strong Album Dream Theater
Scenes From a Memory - Train of Thought
Scenes, Six Degrees and Train of Thought are very different from each other, but they have one important thing in common:  they all feel like solid, unified albums.  To me, each of these has a specific feel, tone, or atmosphere that holds throughout the duration of the disc.  Sure, Train of Thought's tone is BALLS AND CHUNK (save for Vacant, which still fits as the moody breather) but it still feels like a single experience to sit down and listen to those albums.  Not so for a few others, and I'd argue that the band hasn't had three consecutive albums like this at any other time in their career.

We Love Epics! Dream Theater
Octavarium - Black Clouds & Silver Linings
This is where the band falls into a bit of a rut.  I still love the music from this era, but I'm getting a bit tired of the formula.  Each of these records has an insanely long epic (8VM, ITPOE, TCOT), a mellow song that DTF seems to dislike (TALW, Repentance, Wither), another AA Saga installment (TROAE, Repentance, TSF), and things that DTF likes to point to as signs that the band has sold out (IWBY=U2, NE and POW=Muse, Forsaken=Evanescence, blastbeats in ANTR, etc) as well as greater involvement of Mike Portnoy's vocals.  Each of these records also has at least one secondary (less than 20 minutes long) epic or otherwise long song (SS, TMOLS, ANTR/TBOT). 

I think BC&SL doesn't fit quite as well as the other two in that last category.  I didn't think it was quite so stale or formulaic as Systematic Chaos.  So perhaps after a few more albums, I'll put BC&SL with ADTOE in a newer era.  But that's my take on things.  And I guess, since that places Scenes in the third of four eras, I'd put Scenes in the newer half.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2011, 03:52:59 AM »

1. Dream and Day
2. Images and Words
3. Awake
4. Falling Into Infinity

5. Scenes from a Memory
7. Train of Thought

8. Octavarium
9. Systematic Chaos

At this point in DT's career though, I would consider WDaDU-FII "old" DT, SFAM-ToT "middle years" DT, and 8V-BC&SL "latter-era" DT. Can't say anything about the new album as it's not out yet.

Nice!

Pretty much how I feel, though I'd never actually thought about it. FII does seem to stand on it's own somewhat though when you look back at it. Different keyboard player, different sound (to a degree). The album they were told to make. So maybe i'd go WDADU to Awake- FII-Scene to the present New DT.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2011, 06:50:28 AM »
I started reading this thread with definite ideas on how DT albums should be categorised, but now I'm so confused I barely know who I am anymore.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2011, 08:12:46 AM »

Haha, well played sir, thank you ;D
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 09:28:52 AM by Elite »
Squ

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2011, 01:47:17 PM »
It's old in the sense of how it was a decade ago and it's sooo far removed from their current sound and even 6DOIT onward, but it's new in the sense that Rudess kicked off his DT career with it so it seems separated from albums behind it somehow. I'm going with 'straddles the threshold' but nothing can change the fact that it is the greatest album in all of existence, the end.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline JimmyJava

• Swear my skin is inside out
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2011, 02:25:02 PM »
Yet another approach!

Early Dream Theater
When Dream and Day Unite - Awake
This is the first period in Dream Theater's music which in which the music leans more toward prog than metal, the compositions are tighter and more concise, and (purely coincidentally!) there is a presence of a certain Kevin Moore.

Purgatorial Dream Theater
A Change of Seasons - Falling Into Infinity
This period is my least favorite.  The music is still great, but not quite as timeless.  In the history of the band, these were very uncertain times, and I think it shows a little in the music.  It's just not as good, and I'm not trying to blame Derek for any of that. 

Strong Album Dream Theater
Scenes From a Memory - Train of Thought
Scenes, Six Degrees and Train of Thought are very different from each other, but they have one important thing in common:  they all feel like solid, unified albums.  To me, each of these has a specific feel, tone, or atmosphere that holds throughout the duration of the disc.  Sure, Train of Thought's tone is BALLS AND CHUNK (save for Vacant, which still fits as the moody breather) but it still feels like a single experience to sit down and listen to those albums.  Not so for a few others, and I'd argue that the band hasn't had three consecutive albums like this at any other time in their career.

We Love Epics! Dream Theater
Octavarium - Black Clouds & Silver Linings
This is where the band falls into a bit of a rut.  I still love the music from this era, but I'm getting a bit tired of the formula.  Each of these records has an insanely long epic (8VM, ITPOE, TCOT), a mellow song that DTF seems to dislike (TALW, Repentance, Wither), another AA Saga installment (TROAE, Repentance, TSF), and things that DTF likes to point to as signs that the band has sold out (IWBY=U2, NE and POW=Muse, Forsaken=Evanescence, blastbeats in ANTR, etc) as well as greater involvement of Mike Portnoy's vocals.  Each of these records also has at least one secondary (less than 20 minutes long) epic or otherwise long song (SS, TMOLS, ANTR/TBOT). 

I think BC&SL doesn't fit quite as well as the other two in that last category.  I didn't think it was quite so stale or formulaic as Systematic Chaos.  So perhaps after a few more albums, I'll put BC&SL with ADTOE in a newer era.  But that's my take on things.  And I guess, since that places Scenes in the third of four eras, I'd put Scenes in the newer half.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2011, 04:13:48 PM »

Haha, well played sir, thank you ;D
Couldn't resist. :hat

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ehra

« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2011, 05:24:17 PM »
I would always think of 6Degrees as when "new DT" started, but thinking about it I guess it doesn't make sense to make the split there and not with SFAM. I guess you could say it's the transition, wherever that would put it.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2011, 08:20:23 PM »
i'd have to call SFAM "new-era" for a number reasons, only a few of which i'll mention.

i've always seen everything after a change of seasons as being new-school/modern-era. infact, while disregarding WDADU (which kinda stands alone), my DT playlists are based on this, entitled "classic era" and "post-KM era". there's just something (s) about them three albums (I&W, Awake, ACOS) that groups em together as classic-era to me. the production, the magic in the studio air, the fact KM was involved, etc. and i realize mr. KM wasn't on ACOS, but as we know, he was apart of the songwriting, and that style/sound from the two previous albums remains.

the reason i most consider all the post-KM stuff to be new-era is that FII was kinda the beginning of the band wearing their influences on their sleeves. it also sounds like a departure sonically from the bands previous sound. FII might not really sound like any of the albums that came after it, but again, i group it this way mostly b/c of the sleeves (and i aint talkin bout portnoy's arm tattoos).

Offline tgstk2

• Surmount Brutal Dutch Metal
  • PanterA
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2011, 05:29:17 AM »
there's no way this can be set as old.
because it's the first album with JR, which than was the NEW dt.
and with SFAM this was intoducing us into the JR piano riddles *(which weren't there prior to JR), JR's sounds (also not there).
and the unision/music complex parts where bigger than before.....

definatly the new DT.
Als je dit vertaald hebt kom je erachter dat je weer een minuut van je leven hebt verspild

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2011, 05:38:33 AM »
I always seem to class it as old but I'm not really sure why...