Author Topic: Finding DT in places you wouldn't expect  (Read 5854 times)

Offline MetropolisxPt1

Re: Finding DT in places you wouldn't expect
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2011, 01:19:04 PM »
during the NBA finals the intro of metropolis was played a number of times.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2011, 03:57:48 PM »
Me and my dad walked by a store where you can buy loud speakers and stuff and it had Stream of Conscioussness outside the doors. We walked and told them that they were playing great music in the speakers and it turned out several people before us has done the same thing before us. This really shows the loyalty of Dream Theater fans.

Offline wammabe

« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2011, 04:11:36 PM »
I have a friend on Facebook that has a friend that "likes" the Dream Theater Facebook page. HOW COOL IS THAT?!

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2011, 04:17:02 PM »
Wait, there was a woman with insubstantial clothing in that comic strip? The poster had my undivided attention.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline jsem

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2011, 04:31:39 PM »
I was watching the broadcasts of the World XC Skiing Championships in february or whatever, and the Beyond This Life riff was in the background when the speaker wasn't announcing something. Funny thing is, I don't like that main riff... they shoulda played the solo section instead

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2011, 01:50:57 PM »
Not really along those lines... this one time a few years back I was taking part in a reality TV show where a band I played in had to live with and write music with a realllllly religious Christian band (my band was a bit like, rock n rolll yeah, strippers and alcohol and orgies etc. or at least it liked to think it was).. anyway one of the days we were shooting, we went to a music college they studied it, I walked down the corridor and heard something familiar, went into the room and turns out it was a drum tutor playing Under a Glass Moon. I was pretty surprised, then again it was a music college but it was just cool timing.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline robwebster

« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2011, 01:54:11 PM »
Not really along those lines... this one time a few years back I was taking part in a reality TV show where a band I played in had to live with and write music with a realllllly religious Christian band (my band was a bit like, rock n rolll yeah, strippers and alcohol and orgies etc. or at least it liked to think it was)..
Whoa! Was that er... "Writing with the Enemy," or something like that? I definitely remember seeing a TV show along those lines on BBC Three back in the day - some cabaret act collaborated with a rap artist. Either way, bloody cool, but even weirder if I've seen a TV programme you contributed to. (In fact, I think the Christian rock band was trailed for the following week?)

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2011, 02:08:45 PM »
Yeah, that's the one, and we were in the Christian band show :P I was the slightly out of place dark haired keyboardist who was clearly not into the sorta music the band played, if you saw it lol.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline robwebster

« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2011, 02:32:33 PM »
Yeah, that's the one, and we were in the Christian band show :P I was the slightly out of place dark haired keyboardist who was clearly not into the sorta music the band played, if you saw it lol.
Oh ace! I didn't catch that episode, but I am deffo digging it up later. :hat I do, however, remember a friend of mine saying at a house party that he knew someone from Dweeb. So wahey, six degrees of separation and all that.

Offline JimmyJava

• Swear my skin is inside out
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2011, 02:50:09 PM »
I remember visiting DisneyWorld back in the 2004 and was standing in line for the Shrek 2 ride. Now, obviously there were thousands of kids with their parents waiting to get on the ride and the PA was playing some random song that appeared in the movie. The mood around the attraction was really cute and cuddly to say the least. All of a sudden, the song changed into the "Born into a broken home" part of This Dying Soul, volume increased to maximum. Whoever changed it must have been a Dream Theater fan. It was so cool. And all the kids turned to the parents in chock, wondering what the hell that music was. It played until we got onto the ride. Magical moment  :metal

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2011, 04:16:46 PM »
I heard Just let me Breathe Yesterday on an MLB game, I think it was the Mariners vs the Rays :) made my day considering 6 hours before hearing it i read this thread :)
May The Force Be With You.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2011, 04:21:54 PM »
I was browsing Dream Theater Forums and there were a bunch of Dream Theater topics praising the band. I was shocked.

Offline bloop

• The opadismo
  • Mobilizing to contribute to the alliance
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2011, 05:01:50 PM »

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2011, 09:03:11 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nua1NrR9z-4

Indeed.

Wow I wonder who edited that, they did a decent job I think.

Offline VioletS16

• Forum crazy snake lady
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2011, 09:11:58 AM »
Like a female would have a Dream Theater poster.
I painted a huge DT symbol on my wall, and I'm a girl :D

My room?
3 corn snakes, 1 boa, 1 python, 1 milk snake, 1 king snake, 1 rat snake, and a partridge in a pear tree.
RIP Piccolini and Maya

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2011, 09:28:53 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nua1NrR9z-4

Indeed.

Wow I wonder who edited that, they did a decent job I think.

Obviously someone at NBC covering the olympics loves DT.  I also remember (and I think it was the same olympics) a skiing segment with Erotomania.

edit - I just searched for it but no luck :(  Im sure it was Erotomania though.  Maybe someone remembers??
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 09:36:08 AM by CrimsonSunrise »

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2011, 11:00:26 AM »

My room?

I had like 3 DT posters on my wall when I stayed in halls at university... wish I had moved them with me but they were all tattered and broken and cellotaped back together in the end.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2011, 11:51:56 AM »

My room?

girls like dt? WHAT?????
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2011, 04:03:01 PM »
Today in class, we are making a t shirt, and the teacher said "you can put whatever you want, images and words and whatever you like". :D I'm so easily amused.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline VioletS16

• Forum crazy snake lady
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2011, 06:07:12 PM »
Today in class, we are making a t shirt, and the teacher said "you can put whatever you want, images and words and whatever you like". :D I'm so easily amused.
You were making a t-shirt? Was it in art?
3 corn snakes, 1 boa, 1 python, 1 milk snake, 1 king snake, 1 rat snake, and a partridge in a pear tree.
RIP Piccolini and Maya

Offline WDMode

« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2011, 06:43:54 PM »
I recall a couple of years ago here in portugal an ad for a football derby here, with home being played on the background. Ya'know, that riff that comes before the nani nani poo poo part :p I've hear Satriani and Pantera in those kinds of ads before!
\"Most rock journalism is people who can\'t write, interviewing people who can\'t talk, for people who can\'t read.\"<br />Frank Zappa

Offline M-boogie

« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2011, 06:47:42 PM »
About a year ago in church they were showing a video and in the intro they played this dying soul and i was like  :metal

Offline austin

• Heyyyyy
  • DTF.org Member
  • bit.ly/thefury
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2011, 06:55:10 PM »
I go to school for music composition (at the school of music at philadelphia's university of the arts), and in my principal composition class where we study classical and modern forms and concepts, my teacher used The Dance Of Eternity as the major part of a lesson on advanced rhythmic compositional techniques. It was the best them  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline Fnejk

« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2011, 11:12:22 AM »
Just heard The Count of Tuscany on the Blizzard 2011 invitational stream during the prize cermony  :omg:

Offline JustinVK

« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2011, 11:36:12 PM »
I am 15 and working at publix, which is a grocery store in the southeast. I was talking in the breakroom to my manager about me having to save up for a "rock" show with a band named Dream Theater and the pharmacist who had just walked in said "Dream Theater? Are you going to their show?" turns out he jams to DT on the drums  :metal
Life will not always be this way
Look around
Hear the sounds
Cherish your life while you're still around