Author Topic: Anyone ever have a knee injury?  (Read 1637 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Anyone ever have a knee injury?
« on: July 28, 2011, 11:13:10 PM »
The last month or so, I have had this weird ache in my right knee.  It is like on and around the ball of the kneecap, but it really only hurts when I have to squat to get something low to the ground and then go back to a standing position (it hurts on the way back up).  I didn't do anything specific one day or anything; it just started hurting one day. 

A visit to the doctor is probably coming sooner rather than later, but has anyone ever had anything similar to this before?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Anyone ever have a knee injury?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 11:32:00 PM »
I had what my Dr. called a touch of bursitis about a year ago.  Don't recall the specifics, but the soreness was definitely related to particular movements, like what you're describing.  I do remember that getting out of my car always hurt like hell.  I had to adjust how I got in and out of it until it cleared up; about 3 months in my case.

I had spent a day doing a lot of driving, which meant a lot of time steering with my knee.  Pressure and movement between the knee-cap and thigh. The soreness started about 2 days after that.   
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 11:34:14 PM »
I've got some kind of disease where I have basically no cartilage in my knees at all, and it only hurts when I've been doing alot of pressure-based activity like running. The pain sounds similar to yours, in that it only hurts on the way back to straightening it.

So, in my grossly uneducated opinion, it could be cartilage damage.
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 11:36:42 PM »
Hurt my knees playing soccer a few years back, they've haunted me every season and every game since every now and then. Like Riceball said, it's probably cartilage damage or something like that, I haven't really ever looked into mine since it comes and goes fairly quickly.

Offline Riceball

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 11:37:54 PM »
Hey, we have the same number of posts

o/

Oh wait, now we dont...

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 11:40:46 PM »
*\o

And now we do.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 11:50:19 PM »
Sounds like cartilage/getting old to me.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 12:56:08 AM »
The last month or so, I have had this weird ache in my right knee.  It is like on and around the ball of the kneecap, but it really only hurts when I have to squat to get something low to the ground and then go back to a standing position (it hurts on the way back up).  I didn't do anything specific one day or anything; it just started hurting one day. 

A visit to the doctor is probably coming sooner rather than later, but has anyone ever had anything similar to this before?
I had the exact same problem a few weeks ago. Still hasn't gone away. It got a bit better, though.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 06:00:12 AM »
as the resident knee expert, i would say bursitis would be a decent assumption at this point. unless you hurt yourself doing something, an inflammation of bursa (the fatty pad that protects your knee cap from rubbing on the raw bone of your thigh) would cause pain but is pretty tame. take it easy with squats and it should go back down on its own. you may want to try anti-inflammatory drugs to see if they help.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 06:34:04 AM »
I find it very strange that it just starting to hurt out of the blue. I have pain in my knees now and then but because I've hurt them playing soccer and never did any type of rehab to get that straight. Are you sure you did not do any bad movement or fell? And yes, you should see the doctor right away.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 07:23:45 AM »
I has similar pain and developed a click in my knee, it was audible when standing. Went to the Doctor's after some x-rays and scans it was determined that i had torn  the meniscus in both my knees, this from someone who's sole form of exercise at that time was getting off a bar stool to walk to the bathroom or go outside to have a smoke. Had the left knee scoped and cleaned up, but felt no better after the surgery so I decided not to have the second surgery. On top of that I have arthritis in both knees which the doctor has told me other than some pain/anti-inflammatory meds there isnt much they can do.
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 09:14:21 AM »
Thanks for the replies, everyone. :)

as the resident knee expert, i would say bursitis would be a decent assumption at this point. unless you hurt yourself doing something, an inflammation of bursa (the fatty pad that protects your knee cap from rubbing on the raw bone of your thigh) would cause pain but is pretty tame. take it easy with squats and it should go back down on its own. you may want to try anti-inflammatory drugs to see if they help.

I haven't done any lifting with my legs since this pain arrived (and I rarely did squats anyway).  I am still doing some cardio (fast walking, light running, some elliptic, etc.), but nothing too strenuous. 

I find it very strange that it just starting to hurt out of the blue. I have pain in my knees now and then but because I've hurt them playing soccer and never did any type of rehab to get that straight. Are you sure you did not do any bad movement or fell? 

I can't say I am 100% sure, but I don't remember doing anything.  I had worked out earlier in the day, but that was like around noon, and the pain arrived suddenly around 7 that evening. 

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 09:28:21 AM »
Well, It has happened to me before that I have gotten hurt playing soccer, and the pain not showing up until the next day so it wouldn't surprise me if you got hurt while working out.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 09:30:01 AM »
don't run, the fast grinding motion will irritate the inflamed bursa.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 02:14:00 PM »
Well, I am seeing an orthopedic surgeon on Monday, so we'll see what the verdict is.  I am guessing he won't be able to tell much without doing X-Rays, and will probably give me some stretching exercises and prescribe some anti-inflammatories.  Hehe. :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 11:42:54 PM »
Well, looks like my knee is just fine, according to the X-Rays.  And I apparently have very strong joints, so this manageable pain should be short term if I take care of correctly, which means babying it for a while (which I have been doing, and it is already feeling better), doing the correct leg exercises at the gym, and just letting it heal on its own before doing anything crazy with it.

And by right exercises, according to the doctor (who came highly recommended by several friends), doing any kind of leg exercises where your legs dangle is BAD for your knees.  Which means I won't be doing these anymore:

https://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/LVLegExtensionH.html

Sounds like leg presses (commonly called the sled) and squats are the way to go.  He said any leg exercises where there is resistance, as opposed to having your legs freely dangle, is the way to go.  I am still very hesitant to ever do squats again, however.  

Offline Riceball

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 01:19:59 AM »
That's really good news mate, glad its not anything significant  :tup

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2011, 02:03:03 AM »
"Yeah, that starts to happen." - Louis C.K.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2011, 08:54:09 AM »
Well, looks like my knee is just fine, according to the X-Rays.  And I apparently have very strong joints, so this manageable pain should be short term if I take care of correctly, which means babying it for a while (which I have been doing, and it is already feeling better), doing the correct leg exercises at the gym, and just letting it heal on its own before doing anything crazy with it.

And by right exercises, according to the doctor (who came highly recommended by several friends), doing any kind of leg exercises where your legs dangle is BAD for your knees.  Which means I won't be doing these anymore:

https://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/LVLegExtensionH.html

Sounds like leg presses (commonly called the sled) and squats are the way to go.  He said any leg exercises where there is resistance, as opposed to having your legs freely dangle, is the way to go.  I am still very hesitant to ever do squats again, however.  

x-ray wouldn't show shit about soft tissue which is probably inflamed. you need mri to verify your meniscus and ligaments are fine.