Author Topic: Coheed and Cambria v. Second Stage  (Read 137223 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Coheed and Cambria v. Second Stage
« Reply #1155 on: November 19, 2019, 09:59:50 AM »
Maybe their Cruise. They asked if anyone was interested in one on Facebook.

Or Acoustic tour. To still tour while Josh takes it easy, no hard drums.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1156 on: November 19, 2019, 01:21:10 PM »
So what was it? I went on the website but didn't see anything??

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #1157 on: November 19, 2019, 01:25:19 PM »

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1158 on: November 19, 2019, 02:00:11 PM »
Afterman in full.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1159 on: November 19, 2019, 02:10:46 PM »
If I could one day attend something like this I'd die a happy man. This line up looks great!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1160 on: November 19, 2019, 09:04:55 PM »
I'm not going to go for financial and wife-related reasons, but I am interested to see what bands are named in the future.

The ones so far:

The Dear Hunter, Three, and Thank You Scientist  :tup

Polypia I have heard about.

Taking Back Sunday?.. :huh: I suppose given the Coheed fan base crosses over with the Pop-Punk/Emo/Warped tour culture to a point.

if this cruise was cast with a roster in my (progressive rock) wheelhouse..it could be incredible.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1161 on: November 20, 2019, 07:09:03 AM »
This is interesting, and probably the only way I would do a cruise (themed cruises of my interest) lol. I'm considering it.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1162 on: January 10, 2020, 08:01:22 AM »
Travis released an EP under Fire Deuce. It's  descent. I like the main riff for Sonic Funk Test.

https://metalinjection.net/av/full-album-stream/coheed-cambria-guitarist-travis-stever-streams-solo-project-fire-deuces-new-ep

Scroll down to stream it.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1163 on: January 10, 2020, 10:11:57 AM »
Been listening a lot to Unheavenly Creatures. Still lovin it

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1164 on: August 21, 2020, 05:07:35 PM »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #1165 on: August 21, 2020, 10:20:36 PM »
A bit of a strange collaboration, but I actually quite enjoyed that.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1166 on: August 21, 2020, 10:46:52 PM »
Youtube's brilliant algorithm has blocked the video.... :lol Had to use a VPN to view it.

Cool song though. :tup
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1167 on: August 22, 2020, 06:22:49 AM »
I also had to use a VPN. WTF youtube, lol

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1168 on: August 24, 2020, 09:34:52 AM »
 :tup seeing the woman from the original video at the end.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1169 on: July 20, 2021, 10:19:37 PM »
New song - Shoulders

https://open.spotify.com/album/1foAheWx5434SZa2TxIkxO?si=Ad0wPVYxSLW7jaDArFvqaQ&utm_source=copy-link&dl_branch=1

Bring on the Vaxis II announcement! Just spun this 4 times in a row, and it's got a strong Coheed chorus. I will try my very best not to overplay the damn song, but this is Coheed so...

Lyric video - https://youtu.be/budmX5jCGns
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 10:32:06 PM by twosuitsluke »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1170 on: July 20, 2021, 10:25:21 PM »
New song - Shoulders

https://open.spotify.com/album/1foAheWx5434SZa2TxIkxO?si=6zbnGMlTQFSd16eqTRXBUA&utm_source=copy-link&dl_branch=1

Bring on the Vaxis II announcement! Just spun this 4 times in a row, and it's got a strong Coheed chorus. I will try my very best not to overplay the damn song, but this is Coheed so...

That link takes me to a playlist that shows me the title of that song and then plays different C&C songs.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1171 on: July 20, 2021, 10:33:05 PM »
New song - Shoulders

https://open.spotify.com/album/1foAheWx5434SZa2TxIkxO?si=6zbnGMlTQFSd16eqTRXBUA&utm_source=copy-link&dl_branch=1

That link takes me to a playlist that shows me the title of that song and then plays different C&C songs.

Just attempted to change the Spotify link, but also added a link to the lyric video. Hopefully one of those will work for you.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1172 on: July 21, 2021, 06:59:41 AM »
That's a killer intro  :metal The song itself is alright though.

Come on, Coheed and Dream Theater to save the second half of the year! Then all I'll need is Mastodon to make their announcement.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1173 on: July 21, 2021, 07:49:51 AM »
C&C are kind of hit and miss for me, but that's mostly with their early material.  The last 3 albums have been great, and that collaboration with Rick Springfield sounded far better than I anticipated.   :tup

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1174 on: July 21, 2021, 10:36:42 AM »
Shoulders is great. Funky as hell with a poppy chorus that I want to sing with them live.

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #1175 on: July 21, 2021, 03:58:13 PM »
The Beatles would kill for some of the choruses Claudio sanchez comes up with

Offline 425

« Reply #1176 on: July 21, 2021, 08:15:21 PM »
Cool, I'm into it! Pretty compact for a modern Coheed song, but I think it packs a lot into a short space. Looking forward to Vaxis II now, which honestly wasn't on my radar with everything else that's teeing up for the second half of 2021.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1177 on: July 21, 2021, 11:24:39 PM »
Cool, I'm into it! Pretty compact for a modern Coheed song, but I think it packs a lot into a short space. Looking forward to Vaxis II now, which honestly wasn't on my radar with everything else that's teeing up for the second half of 2021.

I don't think it's been confirmed for a 2021 release yet, but it does seem likely. As much as I love Coheed, and they are my all time favourite band, I don't LOVE Vaxis I. It suffers from too much filler. There are some amazing songs on there, but also too many middle of the road Coheed songs. I know I shouldn't hold Vaxis I against Vaxis II, but I can't help going in worrying that they will follow up with another bloated album.

Saying that, I do have faith in Claudio, looking at all the amazing music he has given us. I mean Afterman: Descension came out 8 years ago, and it's taken until this year for me to fully appreciate it. It's in my top 5 albums of theirs now. They've always been able to put out music that just grows and grows on you. That's probably why they have become my favourite band over the years, I just do not tire of them.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1178 on: July 21, 2021, 11:49:29 PM »
This band wins the award for my most “bipolar” band.

No other band gives me albums I *love* with all my heart from start to finish, mixed with albums that just do absolutely nothing for me at all.

SSTB - nothing
IKSOSE - WOW
GAIBS4:V1 - AMAZING
GAIBS4:V2 - wut?
YOTBR - uhhh nope
Both Afterman albums - YYYYYAAAAHHHHHSSSS!!!
TCBTS - ugh

I never heard Vaxis. I’m just starting to find it irritating that I can’t seem to get any consistency from them.

Offline 425

« Reply #1179 on: July 22, 2021, 12:35:22 AM »

I don't think it's been confirmed for a 2021 release yet, but it does seem likely. As much as I love Coheed, and they are my all time favourite band, I don't LOVE Vaxis I. It suffers from too much filler. There are some amazing songs on there, but also too many middle of the road Coheed songs. I know I shouldn't hold Vaxis I against Vaxis II, but I can't help going in worrying that they will follow up with another bloated album.

True, I haven't seen an announcement, but I'd be surprised to see a band put out a single in July and then not release the album by the end of the year.

I hear you on Vaxis I. I think the quality of the songs is where it needs to be, but it's just too long for its own good, and several of the songs were not good enough to justify making the album 80 minutes. The fact that Shoulders would be the shortest non-Prologue song if it was on Vaxis I is promising, though, to me.

No other band gives me albums I *love* with all my heart from start to finish, mixed with albums that just do absolutely nothing for me at all.

SSTB - nothing
IKSOSE - WOW
YOTBR - uhhh nope
TCBTS - ugh

I never heard Vaxis. I’m just starting to find it irritating that I can’t seem to get any consistency from them.

Based on this list, I... got nothing as to whether you'd like Vaxis or not. It's certainly not TCBTS or YOTBR, but I think it has a lot in common with No World for Tommorrow, which you say you don't like. Conversely, I think it also has a lot in common with the Afterman albums. So who knows?

My word of warning on it is that, as Luke and I were saying, it is longer than it needs to be.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1180 on: July 22, 2021, 06:15:31 AM »
The thing that made me fall in love with C&C in the first place was Josh Eppard’s SICK rhythms on GAIBS4:V1. For V2, I just felt like everything was much more straight forward, and it just came across as extremely dull to me. His return on the Afterman albums was a night and day difference.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1181 on: July 22, 2021, 07:44:16 AM »

SSTB - nothing
IKSOSE - WOW
YOTBR - uhhh nope
TCBTS - ugh

For me, Coheed have always been a band that I love the more I listen. Not a single one of their albums has been an instant hit for me. Took me like 4 years to 'get' Good Apollo: 1.

Just out of curiosity, the albums you dislike, did you give them a few listens and never went back, or have you given many listens?

The thing that made me fall in love with C&C in the first place was Josh Eppard’s SICK rhythms on GAIBS4:V1. For V2, I just felt like everything was much more straight forward, and it just came across as extremely dull to me. His return on the Afterman albums was a night and day difference.

I love Good Apollo: 2, but I get this. If your ear is drawn to the drums then it makes sense. I am so glad Josh came back but Hawkins drum work doesn't stop Good Apollo: 2 being one of my all time favourite albums!

I'll do a little ranking just because:

1. GAIBS4: V1
2. GAIBS4: V2
3. IKSOSE:3
4. Afterman: Descension
5. SSTB
6. YOTBR
7. Afterman: Ascension
8. Vaxis I
9. TCBTS

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1182 on: July 22, 2021, 08:05:15 AM »
I will admit that I didn’t give those other albums the spins that they probably deserve. I don’t even own a couple of them. I checked out YOTBR from my local library a couple of months after it came out and I think I spun it twice before deciding I wasn’t that into it. I bought good Apollo volume 2 the day came out because I was really excited after loving volume 1 so much. But I think I spun it three or four times and was just disappointed by how much different (boring) the rhythms were compared to the first.

I also have the Neverender DVD. But I think I’ve only watched it once. That’s been my only exposure to SSTB.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1183 on: July 22, 2021, 08:16:07 AM »
I have certain albums that I like more than others, but I can find something on every record that I absolutely love. That's a very rare thing for me. The only other band that fits into that description is Fates Warning.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1184 on: July 22, 2021, 09:05:15 AM »
I will admit that I didn’t give those other albums the spins that they probably deserve. I don’t even own a couple of them. I checked out YOTBR from my local library a couple of months after it came out and I think I spun it twice before deciding I wasn’t that into it. I bought good Apollo volume 2 the day came out because I was really excited after loving volume 1 so much. But I think I spun it three or four times and was just disappointed by how much different (boring) the rhythms were compared to the first.

I also have the Neverender DVD. But I think I’ve only watched it once. That’s been my only exposure to SSTB.

I watched it too, and while it is a great representation of Coheed at the time, I could not get into how Claudio sings live.

I do notice now after the Afterman Albums and during the tour, Claudio had improved on his live vocals.

Hearing him now and then watching Neverender, it's kind of hard to listen to...  :lol

I really got into Coheed with The Afterman. The concept is fascinating in how he discovers the Keywork and continues to go deeper further killing himself. I like the idea of meeting these entities which either are crazy lunatics like Vic The Butcher or a gentle, calm spirit like Evagria the Faithful. And how we have his wife also being affected by his absence.

The only song I enjoy from TCBTS is Peace To The Mountain, which kicks ass live and it's fun to sing along to.

My only wish for Coheed is that they would change up their setlists more often. Rather than including mainly their album hits with sprinkles newer songs mixed throughout. There are great songs on their older albums, it's just the singles and hits are the songs I myself don't enjoy.

I'll still go see them live. I saw them on my Birthday where they played a local festival and they played my favorite from Afterman:Descension, Number City.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1185 on: July 22, 2021, 09:39:57 AM »
The only 2 albums I have no love for is YOTBR and TCBTS. I like a few songs from each album but not enough to listen to them frequently.

I used to work at a Guitar Center in Brooklyn, NY. That is Claudio's local music store and he used to pop into the store fairly frequently if he wasn't on tour. Usually he would just go to the synthesizer/keyboard area to test out some synths, which he has been using a lot more over the years.

Offline 425

« Reply #1186 on: July 22, 2021, 09:45:01 AM »

5. SSTB
6. YOTBR
8. Vaxis I
9. TCBTS

Our top four are the same in a slightly different order, but after that it's quite different. To me there is a pretty clear divide between those top four and all the rest.

1. In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3
2. Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One
3. Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume Two
4. The Afterman: Descension
5. The Afterman: Ascension
6. Vaxis – Act I
7. The Second Stage Turbine Blade
8. The Color Before the Sun
9. Year of the Black Rainbow

YOTBR is the only one I just can't get into at all. I think TCBtS is a bit unfairly maligned. I really enjoy it whenever I listen to it, it just doesn't have those one or two killer tracks that the other ones have. Like, when I was thinking about it versus SSTB, the deciding factor was, well, one of them has Everything Evil and the other doesn't.

With SSTB, I totally get why people have it higher, I'm just not really drawn to Coheed for the post-hardcore side of their sound.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1187 on: July 22, 2021, 02:12:50 PM »

I know there is enough music out there to not waste time on stuff that doesn't grab you, but if I hadn't persevered with this band over the years they would never have become my all time faves. Sometimes it pays off.

As for the Neverender DVD, I got that at the time when I really became obsessed with the band. I played it so much,and have all the audio on my ipod. It may not be the greatest of live performances but it holds a special place in my heart and helped solidify my love for them.

5. SSTB
6. YOTBR
8. Vaxis I
9. TCBTS

Our top four are the same in a slightly different order, but after that it's quite different. To me there is a pretty clear divide between those top four and all the rest.

1. In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3
2. Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One
3. Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume Two
4. The Afterman: Descension
5. The Afterman: Ascension
6. Vaxis – Act I
7. The Second Stage Turbine Blade
8. The Color Before the Sun
9. Year of the Black Rainbow

YOTBR is the only one I just can't get into at all. I think TCBtS is a bit unfairly maligned. I really enjoy it whenever I listen to it, it just doesn't have those one or two killer tracks that the other ones have. Like, when I was thinking about it versus SSTB, the deciding factor was, well, one of them has Everything Evil and the other doesn't.

With SSTB, I totally get why people have it higher, I'm just not really drawn to Coheed for the post-hardcore side of their sound.

For me YOTBR was the first album to be released when I was a huge fan. I got the super deluxe version with the accompanying novel. I loved Juggernaut from the off (one of my all time fave Coheed songs) and loved most of the rest of the album as time went on. It has some great ballad-y songs and I'm not one to get particularly hung up on production, so that side of things never really bothered me.

TCBTS has some good tunes, but overall just lacks something the rest have.

As for SSTB, if it was the album that introduced you to the band, or you were there from the start, I get it. For me Time Consumer is a big part of why I love it so much. Just can't get enough of it. Also IRO-BOT  :tup  I think Everything Evil is a little overrated personally but I know most people love it.

Offline DTA

« Reply #1188 on: July 22, 2021, 03:28:26 PM »

My only wish for Coheed is that they would change up their setlists more often. Rather than including mainly their album hits with sprinkles newer songs mixed throughout. There are great songs on their older albums, it's just the singles and hits are the songs I myself don't enjoy.

Yes definitely. I think they've unfortunately put themselves into a Marillion-type situation. Marillion used to have interesting setlists with rarities sprinkled in but now they do incredibly safe, predictable setlists because they're saving all the rare shit for the Marillion Weekends. Coheed does the Neverenders and cruise circuit now, so it feels like they're holding back a lot of songs to make those events more special. I get it, but it wouldn't hurt them to dig a bit deeper rather than bringing out the same songs over and over. The Crowing is a great song, but do we really need it every damn tour while Backend of Forever gets perpetually ignored?

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1189 on: July 22, 2021, 10:26:45 PM »
I've given Shoulders 7 or 8 listens now, and I love it! Gonna have to try real hard not to overplay it before the album drops. I've seen a lot of complaints over on reddit about the production. Honestly, I'm glad I don't usually notice these things unless they are pointed out. It's mainly the drums and how the snare is barely audible, and the bass drums is too loud. Also, apparently Travis is barely audible as well. Anyway,I still love it.

While we've got a bit of back and forth going in this thread, thought I'd chuck in my top 25 song rankings:

1. The End Complete IV: The Road and the Damned
2. Here We Are Juggernaut
3. No World For Tomorrow
4. The Light & The Glass
5. The Suffering
6. In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3
7. The Willing Well III: Apollo II: The Telling Truth
8. Feathers
9. Welcome Home
10. Crossing the Frame
11. Three Evils (Embodied in Love and Shadow)
12. Mother Superior
13. The Willing Well IV: The Final Cut
14. Gravity's Union
15. Ten Speed (of God's Blood & Burial)
16. The Running Free
17. Time Consumer
18. A Favour House Atlantic
19. Here to Mars
20. 2113
21. Wake Up
22. The Willing Well III: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness
23. Blood Red Summer